• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft buys Havok from Intel, GAFfers tear skin off while screaming about endtimes

I feel like every time MS (not Xbox) buys something like this there should be a line in the OP stating that probably nothing will change and this doesn't mean that Sony + Nintendo are screwed.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
For the nothing changes crowd. What is the possibility of having an internal customized solution in addition to a vendor product version?

Similar to DirectX 11.1 exclusive to windows 8, DirectX10 exclusive to vista, direct 11.2 exclusive to xbox one, etc. Only in this instance it is middleware

Some companies will probably stop using it, though. But this buy could mean a number of things.
Companies are not invested into what you think they are. At all. They wont care if it doesnt suddenly become super expensive to license, which is unlikely. Most studios are powered by a shit ton of MS software already.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
For the nothing changes crowd. What is the possibility of having an internal customized solution in addition to a vendor product version?

Similar to DirectX 11.1 exclusive to windows 8, DirectX10 exclusive to vista, direct 11.2 exclusive to xbox one, etc. Only in this instance it is middleware

They already tell you exactly what they're doing. They're adding a cloud based physics option to their product line-up that will presumably be a service you can pay for and hosted on Azure servers.

Similarly they sell Microsoft Visual Studio to developers across the world, and even Sony built their PlayStation development toolset as a plugin for it.

They're primarily an enterprise services and software company.

If nvidia gets it shit in line this could be a real boon to physx.

First thing that comes to mind is EA buying criterian and renderware and the dozens of developers who jumped to unreal or a custom engine afterwards.

While I don't think they'll deny others the opportunity to use it, we might well see some of the larger companies look into their own solution if they feel that's more beneficial than paying a fee to MS. EA made Origin in part because they wanted more freedom and profit than they got from Steam, it's concievable that another company may feel something similar.

Companies were already licensing Havok for a fee. Why should anyone care that they are now paying it to Microsoft?

I think that the big takeaway from this is them sticking cloud compute tools in there. They're essentially snagging Havok for a) royalties and b) market/mindshare to promote cloud compute. PS4 games are safe, probably.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Damn, Microsoft isn't messing around. And no this won't change anything, a lot of companies use assets from other companies. Most Smartphones have Sony camera's, Samsung chips, etc. Minecraft is owned by MS and it's still on every platform.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If nvidia gets it shit in line this could be a real boon to physx.

First thing that comes to mind is EA buying criterian and renderware and the dozens of developers who jumped to unreal or a custom engine afterwards.

When Microsoft bought SyntaxTree it was pretty well known that no Unity games ever shipped on PlayStation or Nintendo systems again. You can't even find mobile games on Unity anymore.

krang

I hear that all first party Sony studios are obliged not to run Windows on any of their PCs, or use MS Office, or use Android phones because of the tech licensing involved there - that includes Xperia phones.

For fuck's sake, people...

Havok, Cloud, and DX12. THey are really offering a lot of big services to video games this generation. I wonder if they really will get AMD

Alx

That's an interesting way of making their cloud computing technology more attractive I suppose.

Great get for Microsoft. Running to the store to get a bottle of champagne to celebrate this joyous occasion. I know I will sleep a lot better tonight knowing havok is in good hands.

Guys the console war is almost exclusively a fan/gamer construct. MS isn't going to stop licensing Havok because of said imaginary war.

I think this is important for people to realize. Just like Microsoft kept Minecraft multiplatform MSFT will most certainly license this to Sony and Nintendo. Microsoft will get more money that way and theyll also save on money owning it themselves. Theyre also trying to get more out of Cloud this way it seems too.

omonimo

Banned
I drop the bomb. Just imagine if MS allow to the other developers to use havok exclusive only on xbone for the next titles.

Raide

They must be super pleased with the implementation in Crackdown 3.

Would certainly be an interesting route to go down with Havok having Cloud Computer options as part of it. Will be interesting to also see what other uses of the Cloud power developers come up with after the Crackdown 3 demo.

Kolx

I don't believe MS will make some HUGE profit from it. It isn't like Intel is in a hurry for money so they probably sold Havok for a sum of money it won't be able to achieve until a long time. Also it's highly unlikely MS will stop licensing Havok for competitors. This will just mean their newly purchased product market will shrink while competitors will expand. Meanwhile Xbox won't gain much since Sony and Nin will find an alternative and continue to make exclusives.

AKJP

Banned
I highly doubt they'll deny sony havok, it makes more sense to make the money licensing it. Sony would just make their own solution, Ms doesn't want that.

I agree. Sony makes money off Microsoft (blu-ray licensing for xbox one through blu-ray disc association) and through hdmi licensing (Sony is listed as part of a consortium of companies that own the hdmi spec and adopters must pay $10k yearly to continue to be so.) So it stands to reason that MS will make money off of Sony as well in one avenue or another. Windows license for the PCs that Sony uses company wide and for any computers they sell (assuming Sony still sells computers).

In short Sony and MS are customers to each other in various ways and instances. There is no reason why Sony wouldn't still use Havok so long as MS doesn't crank up the pricing for said license.

JeffG

I drop the bomb. Just imagine if MS allow to the other developers to use havok exclusive only on xbone for the next titles.

Imagine if Microsoft released a windows patch so that all Windows OS's would stop working until all the governments in the world gave Microsoft "1 MILLION DOLLARS" to fix their computers

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I've associated them with rag dolls physics since the get go. MS might be trying to find ways to make money without actually doing anything.

It isn't like this is Bleem though

Top Bottom