• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft FY2015 Q2: 6.6M 360+XBO Shipped

Miles X

So, taking my previous calculations which left us at 7.4m up to Q3 2014.

I'd say that Xbox 360 shipments this quarter could be as high as 2.5m but as low as 2.0m

So that would leave us with Xbox One with 4.1m-4.6m

So.... total shipped for X1 would be 11.5m-12.0m

I made a prediction in January 2014 that X1 shipments would reach 11.7m units by end of 2014 shipped.... what do I win? :p

Amazing that 360 is doing such good figures whilst collapsing in the US, did only 700k~ there this holiday.

JaggedSac

Gross margin doesn't tell you if something is profitable, though.

Very true. But that's all we've got. Also, oddly enough, they don't mention cost of revenue as being significantly higher for Xbox One sales over the quarter. They usually list that when discounts or price drops are done.

Raist

Banned
Also the guy saying 11 million is the baseline is wrong. The floor for last quarter was set at over 7 million shipped, and XBO did 2.65 million in the US last month. Ignoring the idea that USA sold all units shipped that quarter which is insane, there's no way two-thirds of all sales came from the USA alone people, I know you hate Microsoft but don't be delusional. 12 million shipped is the absolute minimum, and it could be as high as 13 million.

13 million would mean that they shipped only 2.1M X360 between April and December.
That is extremely unlikely.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Very true. But that's all we've got. Also, oddly enough, they don't mention cost of revenue as being significantly higher for Xbox One sales over the quarter. They usually list that when discounts or price drops are done.

Cost of Sales wouldn't be affected by a price drop. I thought you were talking about vis-a-vis Xbox 360-dominated quarters (i.e. product mix).

If it costs you $5 to make something, selling it for $10 or for $8 shouldn't affect your cost of sales. Microsoft might take charges against retailer promotions in SG&A though.

Am I misunderstanding?

ZhugeEX

Banned
So continuing from this post:

Seeing as they did 600k more than I expected, I think this is a good estimate.

360:
Q1: 800K
Q2: 600K*
Q3: 700k*
Q4: 2.1m*
Total 2014: 4.2m*
Total LTD: 87.1m*

One:
Q1: 1.2m
Q2: 500k*
Q3: 1.7m*
Q4: 4.5m*
Total 2014: 7.9m*
Total LTD: 11.8m

MS said they wanted to ship more Xbox One's in Q4 than in 2013, so they sure did accomplish that. The drop off next quarter though is probably going to be huge.

I would agree with this.

I'll go with a broader estimate though and say between 11.5m-12.0m just to be safe as 3 quarters of combined shipments will never give us an accurate answer.

It was clear that MS would ship a larger number in Q4 2014 but I really didn't expect it to be that close to 12m.

At least shows my sell through estimate showing over 10 million was right.

And yes, next quarter is going to be very low.

So according to the AMD financial report it should look like this?

Ps4 = 19.5 Mio consoles sold

Xb1 = 10.5 Mio consoles sold

Death2494

So, taking my previous calculations which left us at 7.4m up to Q3 2014.

I'd say that Xbox 360 shipments this quarter could be as high as 2.5m but as low as 2.0m

So that would leave us with Xbox One with 4.1m-4.6m

So.... total shipped for X1 would be 11.5m-12.0m

I made a prediction in January 2014 that X1 shipments would reach 11.7m units by end of 2014 shipped.... what do I win? :p
I still think that is a little high especially since we don't know the split. Isn't xbox 360 available in more markets and more popular?

Unbelievable, people on this site are seriously estimating that two out of all three shipments for the XBO last quarter are accounted for by sold to end user NPD USA-only sales?

What the hell happened to Sales-Age? These estimates are embarrassingly bad.

Didn't they delay their financials because of the pictures hack?

pretty much (if AMD data was correct).

Nintendo on wednesday but SONY results are delayed due to the sony pictures hack issue.

Hmm well Sony's doing something on the 4th

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/info/presen/index.html

Q3 FY2014 Earnings Announcement
Date: February 04, 2015 [Wed] 17:30 (JST)
Presenter: EVP and Chief Financial Officer, Representative Corporate Executive Officer Kenichiro Yoshida
VP, Senior General Manager, Corporate Planning & Control Department Kazuhiko Takeda

* On January 23, Sony Corporation filed an application to extend the deadline for submission of its quarterly securities report for the third quarter ended December 31, 2014 due to a serious disruption of network systems which occurred as a result of a cyberattack against Sony Pictures Entertainment in November 2014.
However, Sony Corporation will still hold a financial results briefing for the third quarter on February 4, as it would like to offer an approximation, to the extent possible, of its third quarter results as well as explain its forecast for the fiscal year.

ZhugeEX

Banned

The AMD report was sold through nearly at 30 million.

They clarified later they meant sold through.

Shipped for X1 will be between 11.5-12.0m
PS4 will be over 19 million.

Miles X

No, this doesn't make sense. 360 was down yoy, (and we know it was down in sales at least 700k thanks to NPD).

10.5m is only achieveable if you think 360 was flat/up YOY.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I hoped that, due to good Holiday sales, we could have separated shipments for 360 and One, but nothing :(

Welfare

Impossible. The 360 is dying fast, and is not taking up a majority of the 6.6 million.

If anything the Xbox One is 10.5m units sold to consumers.

No, because:

That is the shipped number if it's correct. If it was sold I wouldn't say that. It's not bad, but it certainly isn't good.

No.

Thats a fine / solid number. Is it godly like PS4? No. But saying shipping 11 - 12 million in around a year is bad is just factually incorrect, especially in its first full year and no major hitters like Halo or Gears

ZhugeEX

Banned
I still think that is a little high especially since we don't know the split. Isn't xbox 360 available in more markets and more popular?

My calculation takes into account sales for the Xbox 360 since 2005 as well as publicly available data. I'm not saying I'm right but I'm saying that I've taken into account a whole lot of data in order to make these calculations.

Raist

Banned
Unbelievable, people on this site are seriously estimating that two out of all three shipments for the XBO last quarter are accounted for by sold to end user NPD USA-only sales?

What the hell happened to Sales-Age? These estimates are embarrassingly bad.

Yet you speak of a 12M absolute minimum and maybe even up to 13M.

Miles X

The AMD report was sold through nearly at 30 million.

They clarified later they meant sold through.

Shipped for X1 will be between 11.5-12.0m
PS4 will be over 19 million.

Sweet, thanks.

So
PS4 18.5m (confirmed from Sony)
XB1 11.5m~ (nearing 30m)

oh this was this month, thanks for the thread.

glad to see surface pros are doing good, i really like them but cant afford it right now (though i had the opportunity to mess with one)

ascii42

Is it really that much worse on a year-by-year basis? It did have 8 years before its successor came out after all....

Not sure about worldwide, but PS2 sold around 500k more in the US in its 9th year on the market than the 360 did (1.8-ish million to 1.3-ish million). Which is impressive since that was the PS3's 3rd year on the market and the 360's 4th. Problem is price. PS2 was $100 at that point.

Worldwide Sony's fiscal reports have the PS2 selling 7.9 million in the fiscal year ending Mar 31 2009, and 7.3 million in the fiscal year ending Mar 31 2010.

Top Bottom