• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is the marketing partner for Middle-Earth: Shadow of War

RoKKeR

Will be interested to see how this affects digital purchases for those who primarily game on Xbox over PC, if this has any bearing on their decision to go digital, whatsoever.

I think this is (one of) the primary goals of XPA. A consumer choosing to go with a digital version of a game is better for the developer, publisher, and platform holder, and MS is creating an additional incentive to push people towards digital purchases. Although I've been skewing primarily digital this gen, I don't think I would ever chose physical for an XPA game in the future knowing that it would be available to me if I were ever to have a PC capable of playing it.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I would've rather them blow moneis on the more expensive moneyhats.
This game won't move any significant needles. Need a bigger blockbuster.

sn00zer

b77aad5f220c10192ed84a14cf9cd2f6484a947acd9cb1f3363c6d94827667e8.jpg

JP

PlayAnywhere is always going to be good news but I'm not sure of Microsoft's choice of game in relation to marketing it, it just feels like a poor title to choose in the same way that Tomb Raider was.

Who knows, maybe it was a way to secure the game as a PlayAnywhere title?

Backlogger

I think this is (one of) the primary goals of XPA. A consumer choosing to go with a digital version of a game is better for the developer, publisher, and platform holder, and MS is creating an additional incentive to push people towards digital purchases. Although I've been skewing primarily digital this gen, I don't think I would ever chose physical for an XPA game in the future knowing that it would be available to me if I were ever to have a PC capable of playing it.

Yeah, exactly. On Multi-plat games I am very interested to see how XPA helps, at all, in increasing sales on digital games. For exclusives I totally get it. I love XPA for those. But if its on Steam anyway, who typically have better sales, and I primarily game on PC, own a Steam Link, etc. I am not sure I am inclined to go that route.

AmyS

Even though Shadow of War is an August release, and Scorpio is almost certainly coming in the late Fall,
there's no reason to think Scorpio won't launch without its own version of this game, right?

Wedzi

Banned
Yea, Microsoft moneis is subjected to Sony sloppy seconds.
Don't make me lols.

Microsoft moneis doesn't equal Xbox monies lol unless you want Phil to go knock on Satya Nadella's office and ask for an increase in his allowance. "Sorry Phil but your little brother Linkedin is having a good quarter!"

And that's not even taking into account the sales difference between PS4 and Xbox One.

Dynomutt

You have to admit that this is so sad that this is where were at. The fact that he had to ask who had the marketing deals says everything that is bad in gaming. Forget the game or what new features (Play Anywhere) that are coming or how fun it will be all that matters these days is who's marketing it. It is literally a dick swinging contest at this point. Damn shame.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Even though Shadow of War is an August release, and Scorpio is almost certainly coming in the late Fall,
there's no reason to think Scorpio won't launch without its own version of this game, right?
It'll probably be patched into it in time for launch. Xbox One and Scorpio share the same games, just like PS4 and Pro.

Monolith did a great job with a Pro patch for Mordor two years after release so they'll probably do a good job on Scorpio too.

5taquitos

There won't be Scorpio versions of any game, it'll just be patched or support Scorpio out of the box, like Pro games.

Yea, Microsoft moneis is subjected to Sony sloppy seconds.
Don't make me lols.

Don't know the reasoning but Sony has COD, Destiny 2, Red Dead Redemption 2 and most likely Star Wars Battlefront 2. Pretty lopsided this Fall in terms of marketing deals. Install base probably makes it much easier for Sony to get these deals.

blakep267

I would've rather them blow moneis on the more expensive moneyhats.
This game won't move any significant needles. Need a bigger blockbuster.
It's coming out in August. The inevitable madden bundle and ME bundle will do well then

Ricky_R

Not a significant pick, but I guess they don't have much choice. Sony already has deals with the biggest games this year.

MS needs to start opening their checkbook for next year's biggest releases.

pelican

Don't know the reasoning but Sony has COD, Destiny 2, Red Dead Redemption 2 and most likely Star Wars Battlefront 2. Pretty lopsided this Fall in terms of marketing deals.

Not sure about Battlefront 2 considering the BF1 marketing campaign and EA Access being XO/Scorpio.

Fat4all

Banned
I'd imagine it's just balancing their marketing, WB will probably market whatever Batman thing with PS next.

Not sure about Battlefront 2 considering the BF1 marketing campaign and EA Access being XO/Scorpio.

Disney will see to it that Sony getting Star Wars marketing rights. EA has no say in the matter. Otherwise you are right EA would probably hand it Microsoft. EA Access didn't stop Sony from getting marketing rights to the first game.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Microsoft moneis doesn't equal Xbox monies lol unless you want Phil to go knock on Satya Nadella's office and ask for an increase in his allowance. "Sorry Phil but your little brother Linkedin is having a good quarter!"

And that's not even taking into account the sales difference between PS4 and Xbox One.
You have to know the magnitude and allocation of their budget to make this statement.
Maybe them having to publish every back conpat game they put out is costing them a fortune.

Wedzi

Banned

I think it's a Disney thing why Battlefront (and pretty much all Disney properties) have PlayStation marketing.

Here's an interesting take on marketing deals from EA's Chief Executive Officer
As we think about the marketing partnerships that we do… We do them, other people in our industry do them, and certainly our console partners want to stand right next to the big and best games in the industry.

Typically what we see is that just aids awareness. It aids awareness with your PC gamer, or an Xbox gamer, or a PlayStation gamer. Of course what the console partner hopes to achieve is some disproportional awareness around the game as it relates to their particular console, but what we have seen, and we have seen the analytics against it, is that if you’re a PlayStation gamer, you do not reject it because it’s brought to you by a potential console partner. You understand deeply that it’s also available on your console, and what we get is just a multiplier and effective greater awareness in the marketplace.”

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/05/17/electronic-arts-not-worried-about-battlefield-1s-xbox-one-partnership-explains-console-marketing-deals/

Wedzi

Banned
You have to know the magnitude and allocation of their budget to make this statement.
Maybe them having to publish every back conpat game they put out is costing them a fortune.

True and I expect Game Pass to probably warrant a pretty good investment upfront for the licenses to all the games that'll be included. I also think Phil in the past has said he wants to spend less money on marketing deals and invest in stuff like Game Pass, backward compatilibty and first party games (though the latter is still MIA to a degree but that's another conversation). Though whether or not that's his choice idk

Compbros

What is the point of this?
Make believe to casuals that the game is an exclusive? That it run better? That it use kinect?

You associate a product with your brand to the masses. When commercials run the xbox logo shows, the game shows, then more xbox promotion (maybe a deal running at the time).

Thats pretty cool. I expect more marketing deals like this from MS this year. ]

Destiny being marketed with PS4 did wonders for that system.

Will be interesting to see how they market the game with Scorpio.

Chrisdk

I will probably pick it up on Xbox to support play anywhere. It's a nice feature and this is the first 3rd party AAA game if i'm not mistaken. Small steps, but we are getting there slowly. Looking forward to more play anywhere games.

RexNovis

Banned
This was pretty much obvious ever since it was revealed to be XPA title. A marketing partnership is the only way such a thing would happen at this stage in the Windows Store expirament.

OT but I will never understand why people celebrate marketing deals. I can understand looking at them from a sales analysis perspective and trying to determine how effective they'll be at pitching units but anticipating your preferred brand getting marketing deals for non exclusive games and then celebrating them when revealed is just so bizarre to me. Seeing people like the twitter user quoted in the op act they way they do about these sorts of deals is just imcredibaly sad. Does not compute.

you know what that means? sony got exclusive games to announce at E3. i figure they got it since the official trailer had the xbox logo. always enjoy xbox when it comes to game marketing because their custom xbox for games look kinda cool sometimes.

Top Bottom