• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is the marketing partner for Middle-Earth: Shadow of War

I will probably pick it up on Xbox to support play anywhere. It's a nice feature and this is the first 3rd party AAA game if i'm not mistaken. Small steps, but we are getting there slowly. Looking forward to more play anywhere games.

Nope. Resident Evil 7 was first.

This was pretty much obvious ever since it was revealed to be XPA title. A marketing partnership is the only way such a thing would happen at this stage in the Windows Store expirament.

OT but I will never understand why people celebrate marketing deals. I can understand looking at them from a sales analysis perspective and trying to determine how effective they'll be at pitching units but anticipating your preferred brand getting marketing deals for non exclusive games and then celebrating them when revealed is just so bizarre to me. Does not compute.

Pretty sure MS didn't have RE7 marketing and that was XPA?

Remains to be seen how many other devs/pubs bite but seems to suggest they can get other titles too

Head.spawn

This was pretty much obvious ever since it was revealed to be XPA title. A marketing partnership is the only way such a thing would happen at this stage in the Windows Store expirament.

OT but I will never understand why people celebrate marketing deals. I can understand looking at them from a sales analysis perspective and trying to determine how effective they'll be at pitching units but anticipating your preferred brand getting marketing deals for non exclusive games and then celebrating them when revealed is just so bizarre to me. Seeing people like the twitter user quoted in the op act they way they do about these sorts of deals is just imcredibaly sad. Does not compute.

Sony was the marketing partner for Resident Evil 7 and that got an XPA release, so I don't think that's accurate.

timberger

"HDR," he immediately offers. "Until you've seen the game at 4K and HDR, it's a different ... you can watch it [in HDR] for a while, and after seeing it for a couple of months, you normalize it. Then you go back to not looking at it [HDR], and it actually is really different."

Goodie. Will look forward to playing it on my Pro at release then.

RexNovis

Banned
Pretty sure MS didn't have RE7 marketing and that was XPA?

Remains to be seen how many other devs/pubs bite but seems to suggest they can get other titles too

Sony was the marketing partner for Resident Evil 7 and that got an XPA release, so I don't think that's accurate.

1 title makes that more of an exception than a rule. All in all Third Party Support for XPA is extremely limited and until otherwise when revealed it's a pretty good indicator of a marketing deal or some other sort of cash being involved to secure support. If the store improves, expands and becomes more profitable as time goes on I can see that changing but for now it's a pretty reliable rule of thumb.

bebop242

Is it confirmed that Sony has marketing for RDR2? I can't see how Microsoft can compete marketing wise if Sony has RDR2 and Destiny 2.

statham

"So far, we really like it," Allen says. "I don't know how much they've revealed the specs, but it is an upgrade. It's not just sort-of, 'We're going to upgrade some stuff.' There's things you can do with it. So, we're pretty excited to be working with them specifically."
I like this line, and seems like a jab at PS Bro.

specdot

Interesting choice as I haven't seen anything to this game that shows off the power of the Scorpio.

Gameplay looks great but its no graphical showpiece.
I don't think they've shown any Scorpio footage yet. It'll probably be like how Sony did it during the Pro announcement. They're gonna show the console, then talk about its specs, and then showcase some upcoming games along with existing games that will have a Scorpio patch.

Outrun

they prefer to work with who pays them more. Xbox paid them more this time. Just like COD went xbox -> plystation before. So yes...they "moneyhatted" this which is what any marketing deal is.

It is only moneyhat when MS does it...

/s

Osiris397

Banned
MS doesn't have much in development because they blew their load with Halo and Gears already, so they have to start throwing money around for third parties to build the Scorpio launch up around Crackdown.

timberger

He said 4K. It won't be 4K on the Pro.

It could be for all you know. Seems equally as likely to speculate it wouldn't be "4k" on Scorpio either going by those info leaks about MS pushing third parties to use checkerboarding instead of the "true 4k!!!!" they themselves were so full of bluster about initially but not so much recently.

Guess we'll see soon enough.

Varg

Banned
First game is stunning in native 4k on pc with the high Rez textures. Scorpio gamers aree in for a treat .

Colbert

Banned
It could be for all you know. Seems equally as likely to speculate it wouldn't be "4k" on Scorpio either going by those info leaks about MS pushing third parties to use checkerboarding instead of the "true 4k!!!!" they themselves were so full of bluster about initially but not so much recently.

Guess we'll see soon enough.

They not pushing anybody to use checkerboard they just outlines options of methods how to get the most out of the specs if a game demanding more hw resources than provided or the hw resources are used elsewhere.

I think some just don't understand what a white paper is:

A white paper is a guide that informs readers concisely about a complex issue and presents the issuing body's philosophy on the matter. It is meant to help readers understand an issue, solve a problem, or make a decision.

Nestunt

There's a chance that Scorpio is launching in September like the One S, giving them the opportunity to do a price cut around Black Friday.

Trago

Guess this title will certainly be one of the main ones showcasing Scorpio.

Native 4K
HDR
More graphical features than the competition could be possible too.

Nestunt

If it's September i'll definitely get one.

Phil Spencer is always stating that they are ahead of schedule

I still think that MS needs to show some first-party AAA intriguing new IP. Selling Scorpio on games that also run on PS4 (with their better and proven 1st party lineup) is lackluster.

Either that or getting time exclusivity on something like Cyberpunk 2077.

Trago

There is a high chance for such a scenario.

Considering how they're pitching this as a premium console. Native 4K, HDR, and additional graphical features should be the bottom line in making this box really stand apart from the Pro. And considering how much the specs advantage is here, it's looking likely.

Welfare

1 title makes that more of an exception than a rule. All in all Third Party Support for XPA is extremely limited and until otherwise when revealed it's a pretty good indicator of a marketing deal or some other sort of cash being involved to secure support. If the store improves, expands and becomes more profitable as time goes on I can see that changing but for now it's a pretty reliable rule of thumb.

There is definitely some money being thrown to third parties to use XPA. The Win10 store will have to be much bigger for third parties to start developing it without MS needing to convince them.

I'm sure there will be more games that will be announced for XPA at E3 and throughout the year.

Top Bottom