• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft renews Scalebound trademark

Jawmuncher

I think people are missing the point. Does it suck that Kamiyas game was cancelled? Yes. However his team was apparently missing all sorts of deadlines and with apparently tons of miscommunication it just wasn't something they'd be able to do. I think it's kinda similar to MGSV. There's a point where you have to step in and go "look we need something or we gotta cancel it"

MS has already been wasting tons of money. Remember they blew like 100 million on fable legends

E3, Phil Spencer walks on stage and shouts SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKERS and the Scalebound logo appears onscreen behind him, then the lights go out and a brand new trailer is shown and it looks awesome......... or they are just renewing it because they own the IP and they don't want anyone else using the name. ;)

If this is true that is pretty surprising. And if Platinum are off, I think it is pretty bad faith of MS to hand it to another studio. I scepitical this is true though.

200.gif

Hektor

I think people are missing the point. Does it suck that Kamiyas game was cancelled? Yes. However his team was apparently missing all sorts of deadlines and with apparently tons of miscommunication it just wasn't something they'd be able to do. I think it's kinda similar to MGSV. There's a point where you have to step in and go "look we need something or we gotta cancel it"

MS has already been wasting tons of money. Remember they blew like 100 million on fable legends

We had multiple devs in the past talking to kotaku and Co about how Microsoft is putting on intentionally unreachable deadlines if my memory doesn't lie to me.

I recommend everyone read this tragic saga.

Platinum made a game of the generation candidate with the peanuts that S-E gave it. I don't think they're incapable of shipping a game.

I'm sure it wasn't a faultless production, but I'd bet my left tit that Microsoft was the culprit here. They likely had some read on the market that Scalebound wasn't going to be a cash cow, and decided it best to cut their losses, even if it meant playing dirty.

Chris1

We had multiple devs in the past talking to kotaku and Co about how Microsoft is putting on intentionally unreachable deadlines if my memory doesn't lie to me.
Kamiya came out and apologized for it's cancellation. You really think if it was all on Ms be would be so nice about it? Hell would be raised if Ms actually fucked him and his dream project over.

The game was supposed to come out early 2016 and looked like it was going to be delayed into 2018. That's a long ass delay for a game that had no hype

Time for a shitty B-Team imitation of what the game was supposed to be.
Well the "a team" wasn't exactly doing a good job. Not that I believe it's still in development under a new studio.

Kamiya came out and apologized for it's cancellation. You really think if it was all on Ms be would be so nice about it? Hell would be raised if Ms actually fucked him and his dream project over.

The game was supposed to come out late 2015 and looked like it was going to be delayed into 2018. That's a long ass delay for a game that had no hype

Well the "a team" wasn't exactly doing a good job. Not that I believe it's still in development under a new studio.
Crackdown still isn't out and we saw more of scalebound than we've seen of that game.
Ppl have revisionist history too even on this site it was the most hyped Xbox exclusive at least

Wonko_C

Will probably not resemble the original in any way, not even the character will look the same and will be replaced with generic white male protagonist.

LAA

Pretty scummy of MS to do really, definitely won't help their JP situation.
They'd have essentially got Platinum and Kamiya to put their creative energies into it, and then ditched them and got another studio to make it?

kadotsu

Banned
Squeezing external teams for asset creation and impossible deadlines and finishing in house is a great way to find future partners for development.

Castef

Banned
I recommend everyone read this tragic saga.

Platinum made a game of the generation candidate with the peanuts that S-E gave it. I don't think they're incapable of shipping a game.

I'm sure it wasn't a faultless production, but I'd bet my left tit that Microsoft was the culprit here. They likely had some read on the market that Scalebound wasn't going to be a cash cow, and decided it best to cut their losses, even if it meant playing dirty.

Mmmh... I think the game was simply behind schedule and, considering the cool feedback, has been scrapped. That's it.

The game was supposed to come out late 2015 and looked like it was going to be delayed into 2018. That's a long ass delay for a game that had no hype
It was originally leaked in 2014 by ntkrnl as Project Nagano, slated for Spring 2016 release. It was never scheduled for 2015.

And if this generation has shown us anything, it's that delays aren't necessarily a sign of troubled development.

Hektor

He called them openly "shits" and "idiots" some time before the cancellation over behind the scenes stuff

Better late than never.

We'll never know how good or bad Platinum's was, all we can do now is hope for the best with this new attempt (if eventually confirmed true)
If only we know if the 'close' studio is Western or Japanese

Chris1

He called them openly "shits" and "idiots" some time before the cancellation over behind the scenes stuff
Like 1.5 years before the cancellation.
And that was about showing off scalebound at E3. Kamiya didn't want to be a pr guy for ms or something. Nothing to do with the cancellation or any sort of delays.

Apathy

Probably just normal renewing (look at rockstar and agent). But if they are going to restart it, it better be platinum or why even bother

Meh, lost interest on it, i wanted a new Kamiya's game, this will probably result in a generic game, hope i'm wrong and i'll still keep an eye on it, but i don't any faith on this.

Even though I'd love to see the game come into fruition, it's be shitty of Microsoft and they get terrible pr if they send it to another team.

Top Bottom