• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft renews Scalebound trademark

GAF is hilarious, remember reading comments on gameplay thread last E3. People weren't so pleased. Now the game is no more, people want it so bad.

Yeah, people were shitting all over the game at every instance despite Kamiya's record, but fuck it, it'd be a pain to dig and verify if any of those posters are now defending PG's vision.

Shiggy

This. Platinum is a power house and everything they touch turns to gold. There is the slight possibility that they changed their mind after seeing how well NieR Automata did though.

Sure.

teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-mutants-in-manhattan-pc-cd-key-2.jpg

screen_star-fox-zero_01.jpg

screenshot2016-04-07asnai2.png

atr0cious

GAF is hilarious, remember reading comments on gameplay thread last E3. People weren't so pleased. Now the game is no more, people want it so bad.
Because many interested wanted​ a large budgeted platinum game, when the last one, w101, is a masterpiece, that almost no one played. That ms fucked with the studio Zenimax style and now might be going even further in the regard, why would those folks want anything further to do that. Just like Prey, whatever happens will be an imitation of something else.
Star fox is good, despite gafs hated for all things motion control, and the fact that they didn't design the game, and TMNT was a budget title that Activision gave no shit about.

Filing extensions for an intent to use application really doesn't mean much. It costs $100 every 6 months there's really no reason for them not to do it for the full five extensions just in case something changes even if they don't actually plan for anything to happen.

Qvoth

if this is not by platinum i don't see how any japanese developers will ever wanna work together with MS again
that'll be a huge blow to platinum's face, and asians are always all about face

xiseerht

I love PG , but I have to be honest. Not every game they make is a 10. We all assume Scalebound was going to be great. But what if it was not . Let just wait and see what happens.

Scalebound was the highest rated exclusive in Gaf's Most Anticipated for two years in a row. People were interested. Of course news of a cancellation is going to spike attention. That applies to any game.

Zedox

if this is not by platinum i don't see how any japanese developers will ever wanna work together with MS again
that'll be a huge blow to platinum's face, and asians are always all about face

Money talks. I think people forget that Platinum got paid for what they did. Just because they didn't release the game didn't mean that they didn't get money.

This. Platinum is a power house and everything they touch turns to gold. There is the slight possibility that they changed their mind after seeing how well NieR Automata did though.

Transformers Devastation is great. Get it. The other one involving the turtles? Best not talk about that one ever again.

The first bit of your post doesn't correlate with the second part?

Holyshit, MS going to create their own E3 trinity moment with new Phantom dust, Scalebound and Fable legends!

Re-announcing games you have already promised does not make for a great conference

It's not a "holy shit you guys are great" moment so much as a "welp I guess you guys aren't complete pieces of shit promise breakers" moment

atr0cious

Money talks. I think people forget that Platinum got paid for what they did. Just because they didn't release the game didn't mean that they didn't get money.
Considering platinum is one of the best developers on a tight budget, gonna guess MS is gonna need to throw more money then they did at platinum to get anyone to bite and that's not gonna happen after already cutting their losses once.

Scalebound without Kamiya and Platinum is not something I could give a fuck about. Sorry MS.

Why do people post shit like this? Scalebound was my most anticipated game in years and I was so bummed and disappointed with Microsoft when they cancelled it that I got rid of my XB1 and now only play on PC and my PS4 Pro. I was as excited for a game by Platinum Games in Kamiya envisioned it as anyone else, but if the IP still lives, we don't know anything about it. We don't know what's changed - not that we ever knew all that much about it when PG was making it.

For all we know, if the game is coming eventually, it might be completely different, it might be better - who knows - but ruling it out entirely is silly at this point.

If they didn't do this, couldn't someone make a game called Scalebound?

Yes, theoretically, but no one would attempt it any time soon because of the copyright and the game would have to look completely different in key areas.

How amazing it would be if they announce the project is very much alive. MS and Platinum settled their differences and etc etc.

In reality, let's not be so negative right away and let's see if anything at all comes from this. If this had come from a more well known source for example that would have been nice.

Ultimadrago

Hey, I didn't forget. From what I saw of Scalebound, I still don't care that it was canned. That said, Microsoft doesn't have too many other projects I know of that are keeping me invested in their potential software either.

I love how the situation is still labeled as Microsofts fault. Nobody knows what happened and honestly as much as I liked some of Platinums games most of them were bad to avg. I know some likes the games I consider bad and that's great I respect your opinion but they also didn't sell. This is not like Microsoft booted out Kojima without giving him a chance

Wasn't Scalebound, like, Kamya's dream project or something? To give him the opportunity to make it, mismanage them into the fucking ground to the point of canceling it, and then have a completely different studio reboot and actually ship it would be the biggest dick move they could possibly make.

And it would honestly be pretty fucking stupid, too- the entire reason why anyone gave a shit about Scalebound was because Platinum was making it. To use the IP for a game built by a different studio would just hurt the game since the ghost of the game that Platinum could have made with that name but didn't because MS fucked them would haunt its reception and sales. Better to take the basic ideas behind it and attach it to a new IP.

Anung

Un Rama
Why do people post shit like this? Scaleboubd was my most anticipated game in years and I was so bummed and disappointed with Microsoft when they cancelled it that I got rid of my XB1 and now only play on PC and my PS4 Pro. I was as excited for a game by Platinum Games in Kamiya envisioned it as anyone else, but if the IP still lives, we don't know anything about it. We don't know what's changed - not that we ever knew all that much about it when PG was making it.

For all we know, if the game is coming eventually, it might be completely different, it might be better - who knows - but ruling it out entirely is silly at this point

Because it's true? Firstly seeing Kamiya's dream game being potentially (we obviously don't know) handed off to someone else leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Secondly are their any MS first parties even capable of putting out a game as good as Kamiya? A lot of the past evidence and history of MS doesn't really support them making an average game let alone a Kamiya level game. Wishful thinking is fine but it's just that.

If it could magically be amazing with no evidence then why can't I act like the opposite might be true? Especially when the studio and lead who made me care enough to drop 350 bones on a console (that I sold after it was canned) potentially have no involvement at all? Sounds like a perfectly valid way to feel if I'm being honest.

So if both of these things are to be believed, they basically just kicked Platinum off the project and used a first party team? Kind of a dick move if true.

Dick move or perhaps only...normal?

We don't have the fine details on everything concerning this but what if Platinum took way too long, missed all the deadlines and wanted to delay it again? Should MS keep giving them the "ok go ahead"? Or much worse if that rumor is true that Platinum was using the funds for something else? None of that is fact...... but still.

For all the "if it's not PG/Kamiya no one is gonna give a shit" folks... it's presumably still going to be a third person action adventure RPG set in an open world with flying dragons, monsters and co-op, and it's probably going to look and run great on Scorpio.

People will give a shit, most of you included, even if you don't want to admit it right now.

fermcr

Funny thing is when Scalebound was presented and we saw it's gameplay, a lot of people said it looked and played like crap.
Now, after the game being cancelled, people are suddenly interested in the game.
LOL.

Synth

Re-announcing games you have already promised does not make for a great conference

It's not a "holy shit you guys are great" moment so much as a "welp I guess you guys aren't complete pieces of shit promise breakers" moment

That's not really true.

For 2015, each of the "holy trinity" was technically a re-announcement, even if not all were Sony directly.

Shenmue 3 was something that was already supposed to have happened.
The Last Guardian was something that was already supposed to have happened.
Final Fantasy 7 Remake is a little different, as it was more the original showing made people think it was something that was happening... but you get the point.

Marcel

If it isn't just to protect the name from being used and there is still actual work being done on the game then I have to wonder what Spark Unlimited-tier developer they brought in to finish the job.

Top Bottom