• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft renews Scalebound trademark

Some Nobody

Mmmh... I think the game was simply behind schedule and, considering the cool feedback, has been scrapped. That's it.

Considering Platinum was able to churn out titles on a dime under Activision (trash or not), I'm gonna guess MS was asking too much for the time frame they wanted.

And yeah, I'm not sure I care about this if Platinum isn't involved. But I can totally believe they'd restart the project if they wanted an action RPG. Why start on something new?

I recommend everyone read this tragic saga.

Platinum made a game of the generation candidate with the peanuts that S-E gave it. I don't think they're incapable of shipping a game.

I'm sure it wasn't a faultless production, but I'd bet my left tit that Microsoft was the culprit here. They likely had some read on the market that Scalebound wasn't going to be a cash cow, and decided it best to cut their losses, even if it meant playing dirty.

This. Platinum is a power house and everything they touch turns to gold. There is the slight possibility that they changed their mind after seeing how well NieR Automata did though.

Considering Platinum was able to churn out titles on a dime under Activision (trash or not), I'm gonna guess MS was asking too much for the time frame they wanted.

And yeah, I'm not sure I care about this if Platinum isn't involved. But I can totally believe they'd restart the project if they wanted an action RPG. Why start on something new?

Transformers Devastation is great. Get it. The other one involving the turtles? Best not talk about that one ever again.

Septic360

Banned
giphy.gif

Fliesen

how much does renewing a trademark cost? i would assume it's peanuts, compared to letting go of a brand that has non-zero value.

hotcyder

Maybe E3 will be like the end of Elite Beat Agents, where Phil gets us all to start chanting Scalebound in till it comes back to life.

I mean 343 do have something non-Halo 6 related to show...

Duxxy3

Could be looking at a different team. Personally I was more hyped about a new Platinum game more than I was about Scalebound. Scalebound always looked like shit to me.

BY2K

Membero Americo
If Microsoft really completes SB without Kamiya and the core concept of the game is still the same it's just another knife in his back.

Crackdown still isn't out and we saw more of scalebound than we've seen of that game.
Ppl have revisionist history too even on this site it was the most hyped Xbox exclusive at least
And people on this site were mostly hate Ghost Recon Wildlands when it was in beta, but it became #1 best selling Ubisoft game this year, so this doesn't mean anything really. There was almost no hype for this game outside neogaf and small group of kamiya twitter fans.

wapplew

Holyshit, MS going to create their own E3 trinity moment with new Phantom dust, Scalebound and Fable legends!

Kamiya came out and apologized for it's cancellation. You really think if it was all on Ms be would be so nice about it? Hell would be raised if Ms actually fucked him and his dream project over.

The game was supposed to come out early 2016 and looked like it was going to be delayed into 2018. That's a long ass delay for a game that had no hype.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like America where you can be an asshole and still be successful....oh hell we are talking about Kamiya aren't we. Never mind then!

No but seriously, even someone as outspoken as Kamiya is going to have to give a response like that. It doesn't mean all the blame falls on him and Platinum.

jelly

Microsoft gave Platinum 4 years + right and I think Microsoft were pushing for multiplayer as well, whether that was always the plan who knows. I suppose someone else could finish it.

On the other hand Microsoft sit on a lot of IPs like any big company.

Zedox

If MS gets someone else to make it or not, if it's good i'll get it. That simple. I have no loyalty to a developer/platform.

ASaiyan

Banned
Could turn into something interesting, but it could just be meaningless trademark renewal. Nintendo has done this about six times with "Eternal Darkness" with nothing to show for it.

Probably just PR protection at this point. Can you imagine the nightmare if Nintendo or Sony picked up the trademark and made the game themselves with Platinum?

Bluenoser

After the falling out, and Platinum getting thrown under the bus publicly, I highly doubt they are back on board. Maybe MS will find a new developer.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Not particularly interested if it's not Platinums vision that we get. I know that sometimes things just don't go to plan and don't come together, but I don't really want Microsofts sloppy seconds if this turns out to be the case. I still don't trust that they weren't interfering with the games design or trying to getting Platinum to do things they weren't comfortable with. However I'm guessing this is just a trademark renewal and nothing more to it.

spannicus

If MS gets someone else to make it or not, if it's good i'll get it. That simple. I have no loyalty to a developer/platform.
Yup
The statements "dont get it if its not Platinum" Obviously when it was Platinum we Didnt get it! Hopefully MS will release it and we all can enjoy it.

Probably just PR protection at this point. Can you imagine the nightmare if Nintendo or Sony picked up the trademark and made the game themselves with Platinum?

That's not how IP law works and not how many companies want to conduct themselves. Especially not in this timeframe.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
GAF is hilarious, remember reading comments on gameplay thread last E3. People weren't so pleased. Now the game is no more, people want it so bad.

Top Bottom