• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft responds - "Why the PS4 is outselling the Xbox One".

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChryZ

Trying to sugar coat a shitty situation, there's really no winning here. Just STFU, try harder, get results and then make it a success story.

ps3ud0

Has agent Harrison gone dark?
I think hes recruited Agent Yusef

Anyway I wish we had an update on how many of these tier 2 countries have easy accesss to the XO at RRP - only seen snippets but I get the impression that the official launch near enough doesnt matter and if you wanted a XO at a decent price you could have easily sourced one...

ps3ud0 8)

RiggyRob

Did he really unironically say that Xbox 360 would sell 25 million more units, and that next gen would sell 1 billion units total?

What about Asia? I honestly don't see how that is not a valid reason.
First of all, read this:
It's inaccurate as a reason why the PS4 is outselling the Xbox One. It's a reason why the Xbox One is being outsold by as much as it is, but even if Sony were only in those 13 markets, the PS4 would still be outselling the Xbox One.

Because in every market that both consoles are in, MS are being outsold.

I can't believe they still think that Xbox 360 owners are automatically going to switch to Xbox One. The only advantage you have is that you don't have to repopulate your friends list if you stay loyal. That is literally it. There is no other incentive to upgrade from 360 to Xbox One over PS4.

Now, on top of that, Xbox has historically sold poorly in pretty much every single Tier 2 country. Arguing that launching there is going to close the gap completely is illogical.

Flaare

Neo Member
They launched the Xbox One in all the big markets to push ahead and keep a steady supply of stock. Didn´t really work and now the smaller markets are going to fix the gap? Not going to happen, the recent change are good but not that good (yet).

And as for 360 owners not upgrading, i got a PS3 about a year ago and haven´t touched my 360 since. Will upgrade to PS4 when there is a bigger library in 2015/2016.

Jack cw

Love it. I'm pretty sure Mehdi and co. are having fun with all this spinning. The funny thing is, that the more absurd the spins get, the more impressive the success of PS4 appears.

Ferr986

Xbox 360 owners enjoy their systems more than PlayStation 3 owners do, so they are less inclined to upgrade.

Yeah thats why I moved from 360 only to PS4 this year.

Its sad because the first years of the 360 were amazing and MS did an awesome job, but come the fuck on, in the last years MS totally abandoned the system.

Lucifon

Haha oh Yusuf.

05d.jpg

Always love how people label/refer to an entire company of 100,000+ employees by one guys statement in these kind of threads though.

Zombine

Banned
Just after I get done commending these guys for making some big moves they go and say this shit. Sony is outselling the Xbox brand because their vision for Playstation payed off and never bragged publicly about anti-consumer policies like Microsoft did.

Also, in regards to Playstation being in more markets? Microsoft, you imposed that tier bullshit on yourself.

Autofokus

Xbox 360 owners enjoy their systems more than PlayStation 3 owners do, so they are less inclined to upgrade.
If anything, I would have thought it's the other way around with all those PS+ games.

DBT85

Of all the people that have been allowed to talk about the Xbox One and the Xbox Brand in the last 18 months, he has by far been the worst and said some of the stupidest things all while looking like he will try and sell me an old car.

Just have Spencer be the only one allowed to talk about anything related to the product at all and watch Xbox shine.

Tobor

It would be nice if we had some journalists with balls who could return fire on bullshit like this.

HowAwesomeIsYourSystemSoAwesome.gif

Raist

Banned
First of all, read this:

Now, on top of that, Xbox has historically sold poorly in pretty much every single Tier 2 country. Arguing that launching there is going to close the gap completely is illogical.

MS is gonna sell millions of consoles in China. MILLIONS. Just you wait.

Zalman

Of all the people that have been allowed to talk about the Xbox One and the Xbox Brand in the last 18 months. He has by far been the worst and said some of the stupidest things all while looking like he will try and sell me an old car.

Just have Spencer be the only one allowed to talk about anything related to the product at all and what Xbox shine.
Agreed.

stack9902

Banned
People got banned for less on this website.

It can be looked at as "spinning it their way" however the fact remains the 360 was a resounding success that the ps3 wasn't.

It is correct that there is a huge untapped demographic of current 360 owners (how many millions I don't know) that will soon make the "jump ahead" (lol couldn't resist) to either the XB1 or the 4, and if at that time the XB1 is the console choice of the majority of those x millions of users that has the potential to be a huge swing in sales.

I know that all of this is pure speculation, but it's not without basis or merritt.

Every time I think we're done, total fuck ups like this make me realize how much Sony and Microsoft have traded position in the market. And then I recall that all but one of my friends have moved from 360 to PS4 because of this shit.

Hold on to Spencer, folks. Promised land and all that.

Lucifon

But isn't that what executives are for?

No. We all know executives can spout some real BS. They're working for a company at the end of the day, a company which is trying to make money. They're employed by someone else. They're basically covering their own rears. Who knows what they say when they're outside of a work environment. Obviously not everyone's like that and some people really do get passionate about a company they work for, but many don't.

wapplew

How can anyone say MS drop support for 360 when they just release the following titles:

Zoo tycoon
Power golf star
Ryse
Lococycle
Crimson dragon
Max & magic marker sequel
Halo:something
Dead Rising 3

and last but not least
Titanfall

So much diversity and big titles.

/s

frizby

Reasons

• They are 40+ markets that Sony is in where we are in 13.
  • Xbox 360 owners enjoy their systems more than PlayStation 3 owners do, so they are less inclined to upgrade.

Jesus. That is just embarrassing. Looks like something you'd see in the comments of a youtube video.

Half of the people I play with on PS4 were primarily 360 guys, and the XB1's prospects in most of those markets are, shall we say, dire.

LAA

Ha ha, I knew I was gonna cringe at what they say.
First reason is plausible I suppose, but I doubt even if they release there they will outsell PS4, most of those countries seem PS countries, could change of course, have to wait and see,

Second reason....Ha ha. I have to give it to them, creative way of twisting things, ha ha, but theres a lot wrong with that, ha ha. Hes presumming people only upgrade to PS4 from PS3. I bet a lot of the PS4 audience is from the 360, I know a lot of people who changed from 360 to PS4 anyway. Shocker at MS! Seems people are actually not happy with Xbox overall in this case?!
If we pressume everyone who got an X1 was from 360, 3/4 million+ people own X1 right? Quite a lot of people who are suddenly "Not happy" with 360. Of course thats the only reason people upgrade according to MS.

MS are just...doing anything other than admit they made a mistake. Just why I'm liking Sony a lot atm, they come across as more open/honest to me. Like they look back at PS3 and say how they made a lot of mistakes at the beginning. For some reason, companies think its a bad idea to admit you make mistakes, where in fact, I at least, just find it more annoying where you BS around you making a mistake and use a BS excuse.

Ulumsk

Haha oh wow. That's some Ken 'Chemical Ali' Kutaragi bullshit spin.

You've already launched in the relevant territories that will make a splash for you. The territories you haven't already launched in are Playstationland and you've ensured that by launching late with an inferior value proposition.

Tier 2 countries have already been supplied with Xbox One units since the holidays from territories you've failed to sell units in. (In Norway brick and mortar stores have been getting surplus units from Germany for a long time)

Playstation 3 is still this year being supported with some of the best games this generation.

Xbox 360 is pretty much dead as far as exclusive support goes and you need a subscription to use most of its media functionality.

Sony is not even able to sate global demand for The PS4. Xbox Ones are being shipped abroad by reselleres because they can't get them off shelves.

Fedele

Dat quote about the PS3... a nice combination of arrogance and spinning.

Arrogant Microsoft is back, yay! So glad I jumped this dudebro ship.

Savitar

When a company isn't "winning" or doing well they always say stupid things.

The PS3 era was filled with them.

Now it's MS turn.

Unfortunately for whoever it is they're almost expected to say something, sadly that leads to said idiotic statements.

This is just regurgitated from the Yusef Mehdi interview which has already been posted and discussed.

From the OP title I was expecting some kind of official MS response to the situation.

Yusuf Mehdi saying this on Monday was the official response.

It can be looked at as "spinning it their way" however the fact remains the 360 was a resounding success that the ps3 wasn't.

It is correct that there is a huge untapped demographic of current 360 owners (how many millions I don't know) that will soon make the "jump ahead" (lol couldn't resist) to either the XB1 or the 4, and if at that time the XB1 is the console choice of the majority of those x millions of users that has the potential to be a huge swing in sales.

I know that all of this is pure speculation, but it's not without basis or merritt.

No, it is absolutely without basis, or me(r)rit(t).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom