• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft sending people surveys about handheld consoles

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
There's people in this very thread that can seem Anti Xbox who are interested in the thought of this, that alone means alot

MS needs a way to gain mind share back and have some good hardware news. This will be it if they get the specs and price right
They already have a pretty decent hardware solution in Series X, which people aren't buying into.

Their problem is high-quality exclusive software.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
No, it doesn't make sense because:

1. Xbox can't expand into a market just because they aren't in there. The handheld market is even more cornered than under-the-shelf traditional consoles.

It's not cornered, there is only one player. If you want a portable console, what are you options in the past 7 years? Hmm, I can pick a switch, or a switch. Steam deck is not realy a portable console, it's a portable pc, is more expensive, has issues, and no exclusives.

2. And Xbox has no USP they can offer that hasn't already been offered in this market.

They can offer games that are not currently on switch, and future exclusives.

3. Most importantly, no multiplatform publisher has dedicated hardware because it literally contradicts itself (e.g., EA, Ubisoft, T2, etc.). It's stupid to become a multiplatform publisher and then introduce a new hardware, hoping to shake up a pretty cornered and settled market.

The reality is that this is just another stupid decision by Xbox in a long line of stupid decisions: Xbox One launch, hiring Phil Spencer as head of Xbox, Game Pass, Series S, day one PC releases, launching Gen 9 with no exclusives, no next-gen exclusives for 2 years, etc.

I can guarantee that this will be another failure. And then a few years later, people will be wondering what went wrong.

This I can't dispell as I also beleive in exclusives driving hardware, so it would be tougher if they went this road. Xbox one launch was messed, day pc releases too, but I don't see game pass as a bad idea. You just need critical mass to make it succeed, and they really were not far off from break even already. I think the gaming business has shows us over and over that nobody is out until they are out, comebacks are very possible. Pretty unlikely that a portable would not sell at least ok as long as it had day and date games with series games.

sachos

Handhelds seem really cool, but i worry they will limit the scope of future games having to cater for it. I want a pathtraced future.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The few exclusives they have are getting ported to Playstation and Nintendo, because they literally sell more on those platforms, and in the case of Playstation play better than the Xbox versions too. There's pretty much nothing they can do can salvage the home consoles at this point.

If they can't be the definitive place to play their games at home, they can at least try to be the definitive place to play games on the go.

Last edited:
jeL5mqz.jpeg

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The few exclusives they have are getting ported to Playstation and Nintendo, because they literally sell more on those platforms, and in the case of Playstation play better than the Xbox versions too. There's pretty much nothing they can do can salvage the home consoles at this point.
I agree 100%.
If they can't be the definitive place to play their games at home, they can at least try to be the definitive place to play games on the go.
Sure, but my point is ... do they have a realistic chance of becoming the definitive place to play games on the go?

Not even a little bit, in my opinion.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It's not cornered, there is only one player. If you want a portable console, what are you options in the past 7 years? Hmm, I can pick a switch, or a switch. Steam deck is not realy a portable console, it's a portable pc, is more expensive, has issues, and no exclusives.

They can offer games that are not currently on switch, and future exclusives.

This I can't dispell as I also beleive in exclusives driving hardware, so it would be tougher if they went this road. Xbox one launch was messed, day pc releases too, but I don't see game pass as a bad idea. You just need critical mass to make it succeed, and they really were not far off from break even already. I think the gaming business has shows us over and over that nobody is out until they are out, comebacks are very possible. Pretty unlikely that a portable would not sell at least ok as long as it had day and date games with series games.
Steam Deck is not a portable console, but will the Xbox handheld be? That doesn't make sense. They'll both be the same things. Other alternatives are Rog Ally, Legion Go, Nintendo Switch, etc. Those are all handheld gaming devices.

And Steam Deck definitely has exclusives. The exclusive games on Steam that aren't available anywhere else.

A very recent example of that is Deep Rock Galactic Survivor. Soon Hades 2 will also join early access exclusively on Steam. There are hundreds of other PC only games that aren't available on any other platform, and Steam Deck can play those games.

Handhelds seem really cool, but i worry they will limit the scope of future games having to cater for it. I want a pathtraced future.

If they do as SONY did with the Vita we will be fine. Make the handheld its separate platform, doing its own thing. However the powerhouse leve for consoles.

THE DUCK

Steam Deck is not a portable console, but will the Xbox handheld be? That doesn't make sense. They'll both be the same things. Other alternatives are Rog Ally, Legion Go, Nintendo Switch, etc. Those are all handheld gaming devices.

And Steam Deck definitely has exclusives. The exclusive games on Steam that aren't available anywhere else.

A very recent example of that is Deep Rock Galactic Survivor. Soon Hades 2 will also join early access exclusively on Steam. There are hundreds of other PC only games that aren't available on any other platform, and Steam Deck can play those games.

An xbox (or Sony) handheld is much different than rog, Legion and steam deck that it has a fully plug and play console operating system, backed up by console exclusives.

Technically, a phone is also a handheld gaming device, as is a tablet, that doesn't make them the same as a switch.

Steam deck has basically zero big name AAA exclusives vs a Nintendo or a sony or xbox.
The hundreds of minor pc only games that are only on steam deck only appeal to the huddled masses in a meaningful way, and many don't run and play like console games. (Control issues, crashes, too small text, etc)
Not a console experience. And they aren't exclusive since they play on rog and msi and Legion.

I bet if you went to a mall and asked 500 people what a nintendo switch was over half would know what it is. If you asked them what a valve steam deck or asus rog ally was you'd be lucky to find 20 people who knew what it was. Massively broader appeal and market.

Cyberpunkd

Steam deck has basically zero big name AAA exclusives vs a Nintendo or a sony or xbox.
That’s a disingenuous way to put it - it’s a PC, it can run PC games, almost all of which much better than Nintendo Switch. Where’s Fallout on Switch? On Steam Deck you can play the whole franchise. The fact they are available on PC and consoles doesn’t change anything, exclusives are not Steam Deck value preposition, portable gaming is.

THE DUCK

That’s a disingenuous way to put it - it’s a PC, it can run PC games, almost all of which much better than Nintendo Switch. Where’s Fallout on Switch? On Steam Deck you can play the whole franchise. The fact they are available on PC and consoles doesn’t change anything, exclusives are not Steam Deck value preposition, portable gaming is.

I.mean it's nice it runs and all amd I enjoy mine, but casual gamers want plug and play, not "it might run". They have no idea the Steam deck even exists or see it as pc in sheets clothing, something they have zero interest in.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Still wish for MS to try and tackle the enthusiast market with some monster machine aimed to compete with the high end.

BlackTron

This thing is gonna bomb. I love my steamdeck, but it's not a product for the mass casuals out there.
So if this is windows based and open, instead of a locked down console type environment, I see it failing hard.
Too many windows handhelds release now.

Maybe MS will finally care enough to make Windows more viable for a handheld now that it's them making it and not another manufacturer just tossing the OS on there.

Phil was talking about how to solve the pain of using Windows on a small screen not long ago.

Maybe MS will finally care enough to make Windows more viable for a handheld now that it's them making it and not another manufacturer just tossing the OS on there.

Phil was talking about how to solve the pain of using Windows on a small screen not long ago.
Yes. I expect them to do that, with a Xbox UI game mode. However PC games, especially on handhelds need some tinkering. I think any tinkering is asking too much from the mass market console base.
It's gotta be download, stream, or insert cartridge and play. Nothing more than that. I don't see that happening with an open windows handheld no matter how much they streamline the OS for a handheld.

BlackTron

Yes. I expect them to do that, with a Xbox UI game mode. However PC games, especially on handhelds need some tinkering. I think any tinkering is asking too much from the mass market console base.
It's gotta be download, stream, or insert cartridge and play. Nothing more than that. I don't see that happening with an open windows handheld no matter how much they streamline the OS for a handheld.

Maybe we aren't on the same page, when you say Xbox UI game mode I'm getting the impression you mean a PC with a Steam Big-Picture mode like Xbox presentation. While I am talking about a device that is both Xbox and PC, as in to get one you shut down the other, a la Steam Deck. So Xbox mode will even play a BC 360 title while the PC mode can't

Maybe we aren't on the same page, when you say Xbox UI game mode I'm getting the impression you mean a PC with a Steam Big-Picture mode like Xbox presentation. While I am talking about a device that is both Xbox and PC, as in to get one you shut down the other, a la Steam Deck. So Xbox mode will even play a BC 360 title while the PC mode can't
Steam Deck stills runs the OS in the background the game need tinkering. Like to get Returnal to run well you gotta do resolution scaling to 70% and lock the frames at like 27fps.

BlackTron

Steam Deck stills runs the OS in the background the game need tinkering. Like to get Returnal to run well you gotta do resolution scaling to 70% and lock the frames at like 27fps.

You don't understand what I mean, I'm talking about Proton and Windows booting independently on Steam Deck. By putting Windows on Steam Deck, you expand the library beyond the OS it came with.

Which in this case would be having a device that plays Xbox games natively like a Series S AND ALSO boots into Windows, where you can run whatever you damn well please but might need to set resolution scaling on a PS5 port

Steam Deck has revitalized gaming for me. I play PC, Xbox, PlayStation and Nintendo games on it. From multiple "generations". It's become my main device, and no one is more surprised than me about that.

But I want more power, better battery and a better screen - whoever delivers that first will get my money, but I'm hoping for an exclusiveless future where I can hop around to the latest and greatest hardware whenever I want, not just when the big corporations decide I'm allowed to. The idea of owning a console for seven or more years is just depressing to me.

TheCoolDave

Neo Member
Just because they're thinking about it doesn't mean it will result in a product you can buy. Remember they spent a bunch of time and effort on their little cloud streaming device. They got up to the prototype stage and then decided it wasn't a viable product, so they canceled it. Something similar could happen with this handheld.

I can't even count how many Microsoft devices over the years where they had prototypes and looked like final version, and they were canceled. I really think Microsoft spent billions on stuff like this that never came out. Normally, they have been too late the party (Windows Phone anyone? (I loved it))

With this being said, if Microsoft does this, AND RELEASES IT, they will 1up everyone else on the market. It will be an amazing device, IF we see it.

With Microsoft's commitment to gaming (how many billions have they spent on dev companies?) and GamePass, I would not be shocked if we see something hit the marketplace...

djjinx2

They already have a pretty decent hardware solution in Series X, which people aren't buying into.

Well the problem is exclusive software when PS5 exists as direct competition to the X.

But how is a Hybrid competing with PS5? Who's to say it's not an Xbox branded Windows hybrid which can play Sony PC games via other stores? Is the problem software then? There are growing markets to buy into or carve a niche in.

The rise of Mobile and lack of growth in the Home Console space shows there maybe room for something "New", what that is I don't know but I would rather see Xbox move into different hardware formats than compete directly against PS6 and get stomped.

Doesn't matter if XBox is actually better hardware wise, brand loyalty sees that Sony still "Wins" (In the home console wars)

Last edited:
You don't understand what I mean, I'm talking about Proton and Windows booting independently on Steam Deck. By putting Windows on Steam Deck, you expand the library beyond the OS it came with.

Which in this case would be having a device that plays Xbox games natively like a Series S AND ALSO boots into Windows, where you can run whatever you damn well please but might need to set resolution scaling on a PS5 port
I don't see them doing basically a closed environment and open environment on one device, which is basically your dual boot idea. If they're going to offer an open windows with other stores, then they're just going to develop PC versions of games. I'd still bet on either a closed system or an open one with xbox big picture mode.

BlackTron

I don't see them doing basically a closed environment and open environment on one device, which is basically your dual boot idea. If they're going to offer an open windows with other stores, then they're just going to develop PC versions of games. I'd still bet on either a closed system or an open one with xbox big picture mode.

The problem with a Xbox Big Picture mode is that it means they need to update every single game on the Xbox platform to PC first for it to work, which is both nigh impossible and a bad plan to "save Xbox". For example, Nintendo did not port 5-700 games to carry the Game Boy library to GBA, they just included a copy of GBC hardware inside and it booted different depending on what type of game you inserted. I don't see them saying "it still plays Xbox games, but only new ones. All that effort we took to retain the ecosystem back to the first console is gone. Your purchases are unavailable here". If that is what they are saying, they may as well give up entirely and go full third party the same day instead.

Downsides of Windows -not ideal for a mainstream portable and you lose the existing Xbox library, which does not seem ideal for a device called Xbox

Downsides of Xbox - You are limited to this library and it's a dying platform, which is exactly why they are thinking about Windows (and Switch and PS5)

Just combine both (like Steam Deck) to cancel the downsides. Otherwise I don't see it working.

The problem with a Xbox Big Picture mode is that it means they need to update every single game on the Xbox platform to PC first for it to work, which is both nigh impossible and a bad plan to "save Xbox". For example, Nintendo did not port 5-700 games to carry the Game Boy library to GBA, they just included a copy of GBC hardware inside and it booted different depending on what type of game you inserted. I don't see them saying "it still plays Xbox games, but only new ones. All that effort we took to retain the ecosystem back to the first console is gone. Your purchases are unavailable here". If that is what they are saying, they may as well give up entirely and go full third party the same day instead.

Downsides of Windows -not ideal for a mainstream portable and you lose the existing Xbox library, which does not seem ideal for a device called Xbox

Downsides of Xbox - You are limited to this library and it's a dying platform, which is exactly why they are thinking about Windows (and Switch and PS5)

Just combine both (like Steam Deck) to cancel the downsides. Otherwise I don't see it working.
Well they did talk about “forward compatibility”. I think they’ll bring forward games, just not all of them. But maybe they’ll be streamable . . .

Maybe a launch into BC mode to play old stuff could work. But I don’t see them developing a Xbox and pc versions of games if it’s open at all.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I agree 100%.

Sure, but my point is ... do they have a realistic chance of becoming the definitive place to play games on the go?

Not even a little bit, in my opinion.
I said they can try. Not that they're going to succeed.
What's typically the difference between the ps5 and a windows PC? The PS5 is a closed system with pre-configured games, selection of games, control schemes, and OS. The windows PC is more open from the choice of OS to the hardware in the system.

What's the difference between the switch and steam deck besides power? With a switch you have a closed down OS created mostly by Nintendo that can't easily be swapped out for a different system. With steam deck, it's an open Linux based OS that can be uninstalled, reinstalled, replaced with Windows or another distribution, and others.

That's basically the difference between handheld CONSOLES and handheld PCs in a nutshell. Hence why there's a distinction to most people.

Microsoft making a handheld gaming PC makes total sense. A handheld console is a harder sell.

sachos

If they do as SONY did with the Vita we will be fine. Make the handheld its separate platform, doing its own thing. However the powerhouse leve for consoles.
That would be fine yeah but i don't think it is viable to divide your dev teams like this in the current state of the industry with such long dev times.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Consoles do exactly what they’re supposed to do, handhelds allow you to move on with the console experience.

That would be fine yeah but i don't think it is viable to divide your dev teams like this in the current state of the industry with such long dev times.
Yeah, if even Nintendo, king of 1st party games, couldn't afford to make exclusives to support two platforms, no one else could.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member

Of course you are correct, but if Microsoft gaming starts to turn a big profit again, they might start acquiring some medium sized studios again and work on a handheld console a few years after Nintendo’s next-gen console has been on the market for a while.

I also wouldn’t want to be ahead of a Steam Deck 2, which I doubt we’ll see before 2026. Therefore, if I had to consider this, I wouldn’t release until 2027/2028 anyway.

Top Bottom