• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft sending people surveys about handheld consoles

ManaByte

Gold Member
Wouldn't it make more sense for them to focus on having the Windows Store compatible with Steam Deck? This way they don't need to build hardware and have the benefits of people potentially buying games from their own storefront.

I'm sure there are a lot of technical and legal hurdles to get through, but this seems like most appropriate solution over releasing another device when the Steam Deck has the majority of the market (I assume!).

They'd rather have a Windows handheld then port their services to Linux.

El Muerto

I'll stick with the steam deck. But it really depends on price and power. If it's cheaper than the other windows handhelds i might be in.

rm082e

Wouldn't it make more sense for them to focus on having the Windows Store compatible with Steam Deck? This way they don't need to build hardware and have the benefits of people potentially buying games from their own storefront.

Nobody cares about the Windows store. They tried to get PC players to buy games there in the past. Gears 4 and a few others were exclusive to it when they launched. PC players ignored those games because they weren't on Steam. MS eventually caved and put most of their stuff on Steam. Trying to go back to that won't work.

Jinzo Prime

How about starting full on marketing campaign for Hellblade II? To put it lightly, there's not enough shit to put into OT in a couple of weeks FFS. There's zero fuckin' raw gameplay screenshots, absolutely fuckin' nothing in regards to lore or discriptions, zero fuckin' press kit with assets and such to use. HOLLY FUCK it's horrible!
They are writing the Xbox Series X|S off as a failure and moving on.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

I'm sure there are a lot of technical and legal hurdles to get through, but this seems like most appropriate solution over releasing another device when the Steam Deck has the majority of the market (I assume!).

How would that work? "Yes Gabe, we're going to undercut your store, any probs there?"

Unknown?

Eh, I don't know if you remember the Kinect, but that thing was a huge success. It was also the beginning of the end, because MS got so greedy, they forgot about their core market.
The key part of your statement is that last part. They abandoned their market to focus all their eggs in one basket. I can guarantee you there is a percentage of their market that doesn't care about handhelds so if they go all in on a handheld or even hybrid, you lose that percentage.

I don't see an Xbox handheld doing better than even the Series consoles.

DragonNCM

Tbh, I don't see the point of a Xbox handheld when Steamdeck already exists. The only new thing it would bring would be Gamepass, no?
The point is you can install everything you have in your PC library+gamepass. I don't think they will only make this for gamepass.
Also I will appreciate if spec are close to Series S & option so you can connect it to TV !!!

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Gee I wonder why they want to make a handheld...

Xbox will be the choice of a new generation.

Playstation is for bitter old men.

I've got both, I'm bitter and immature.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Just improve Windows for handhelds. It's been a long time, and the experience is bad.

Last edited:

Zheph

The point is you can install everything you have in your PC library+gamepass. I don't think they will only make this for gamepass.
Also I will appreciate if spec are close to Series S & option so you can connect it to TV !!!
You think they gonna release something that expensive?

If its a PC.
Jim Carrey Alrighty Then GIF by Ace Ventura

Topher

Gold Member
How would that work? "Yes Gabe, we're going to undercut your store, any probs there?"

It wouldn't work but doesn't really matter if Gabe has a problem with it or not. Steam Deck is an open platform. Either way, it doesn't make a lot of sense for Microsoft to compete with a store on Steam Deck where Microsoft sells games. A handheld dedicated to Xbox/Windows along with other stores and an UI created specifically for gaming would appeal to a lot of people who bought Rog Ally and Lenovo Legion Go. In fact, I'd expect Microsoft would welcome other manufacturers to use that OS on their handhelds as well. Valve has been talking about doing that very thing with Steam OS for quite a while, but they better get moving or MS will beat them to the punch.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Just because they're thinking about it doesn't mean it will result in a product you can buy. Remember they spent a bunch of time and effort on their little cloud streaming device. They got up to the prototype stage and then decided it wasn't a viable product, so they canceled it. Something similar could happen with this handheld.
The sanest take by far. Keystone was even teased by Phil's Shelf (TM) before it was cancelled.

Roxkis_ii

I'm scratching my head at this. This sounds like it would be great for people already invested in xbox. Don't sound attractive for anyone outside of it.

Topher

Gold Member
You think they gonna release something that expensive?

I do. I think the days of Microsoft subsidizing hardware is pretty much over. So create hardware that appeals to both console and PC gamers and you've expanded your hardware reach quite a bit. Imagine XSX as a 1080p 60fps PC for around $999. That falls in line with PC gamers wanting the 3060/4060 series GPUs that are so popular according to Steam surveys.

King Dazzar

I assumed the handheld would come much sooner than 2 years. But if they're only just now asking for feedback... I guess it launches near to the new UI/steam Xbox next gen console.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
They are writing the Xbox Series X|S off as a failure and moving on.
Even if that's the case, it doesn't matter since the game is also coming to PC. Also, you can't sell shit without putting together a good marketing campaign and especially a game like Hellblade.
Say what you will about The Callisto Protocol, but this game had great if not exceptional marketing campaign leading up to launch. The game is going to flop, hard, and no amount of praise from ''critics'' will change that. But I guess MS doesn't give a fuck anymore.

Last edited:

Unknown?

PC-based handhelds are a smaller market than consoles. WTF does MS hope to accomplish by going against the Steamdeck over such a small niche?
This. If it's a good product and PC based not Xbox, it might get a small audience. If it's just Xbox lite to compliment their next console like the Series S, doesn't seem like a bright future.

Jinzo Prime

I'm scratching my head at this. This sounds like it would be great for people already invested in xbox. Don't sound attractive for anyone outside of it.

Xbox Series X|S OS is a hypervisor based operating system running on Windows Core. They could theoretically port all Xbox games to Windows, each game virtualized since they already do so on Xbox consoles.

Microsoft already did the hard work back in 2015, when they updaded the core to real Windows 10. So they wouldn't even need Xbox as a closed system anymore, they could just use Windows 11 or an optimized variant thereof and merge Xbox and Windows game libraries pretty seamlessly.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
It was trying to entice the motion controller craze to come to Xbox and it sold well but ultimately was a wet fart that derailed their core ethos.

Moves were also a bad misstep.
While I agree Move was a misstep, it eventually led to PSVR 1 controller use and morphed into PSVR 2 controllers.

Like how the Vita back swipe pad basically became DS4 and Dual Sense controller swipe pads.

Even if that's the case, it doesn't matter since the game is also coming to PC. Also, you can't sell shit without putting together a good marketing campaign and especially a game like Hellblade.
Say what you will about The Callisto Protocol, but this game had great if not exceptional marketing campaign leading up to launch. The game is going to flop, hard, and no amount of praise from ''critics'' will change that. But I guess MS doesn't give a fuck anymore.
Hellblade is really a hardcore gamer product. Everyone already knows about it in the target market. The game is $50, so it probably helps to keep costs down by not blowing money on marketing. Palworld and Helldivers got virtually no marketing.

It makes sense to spend on more casual stuff like Call of Duty, Gamepass, Starfield, etc. Stuff where theoretically someone hasn't heard of it and it could appeal to them. A lot of MS marketing efforts are based around social media, previews, events. Spending for things like cable TV commercials is pretty dated. We did see Senua on the giant ass dome in Vegas though.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

It wouldn't work but doesn't really matter if Gabe has a problem with it or not. Steam Deck is an open platform. Either way, it doesn't make a lot of sense for Microsoft to compete with a store on Steam Deck where Microsoft sells games. A handheld dedicated to Xbox/Windows along with other stores and an UI created specifically for gaming would appeal to a lot of people who bought Rog Ally and Lenovo Legion Go. In fact, I'd expect Microsoft would welcome other manufacturers to use that OS on their handhelds as well. Valve has been talking about doing that very thing with Steam OS for quite a while, but they better get moving or MS will beat them to the punch.
It would be even more interesting if MS acquired Valve prior to release... no shooting the messenger now
To Boldly Go Star Trek GIF by Omaze

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Hellblade is really a hardcore gamer product. Everyone already knows about it in the target market. The game is $50, so it probably helps to keep costs down by not blowing money on marketing. Palworld and Helldivers got virtually no marketing.
There's not even most basic stuff such as extensive press kit with assets and such, which don't cost a lot of money and can be done in like an hour or so.

A lot of MS marketing efforts are based around social media, previews, events.
Their whole marketing strategy is complete shit imho, as well as not letting things go and stop investing into pointless consoles nobody is buying or care about. I mean, there must be someone to keep Sony in line cuz it could be much and much worse without MS and Xbox, but that's about the only excuse I can think of as to why we even need Xbox consoles.

How about starting full on marketing campaign for Hellblade II? To put it lightly, there's not enough shit to put into OT in a couple of weeks FFS. There's zero fuckin' raw gameplay screenshots, absolutely fuckin' nothing in regards to lore or discriptions, zero fuckin' press kit with assets and such to use. HOLY FUCK it's horrible!
You’re exactly right. Theses idiots running Xbox give fuck all about games. They chase every other thing under the sun except trying to make new games for the console. More controllers than games and now more worried about a survey for a handheld. They should be marketing their games starting with Hellblade 2 as you said but instead they rather not say shite. Pitiful doesn’t even begin to describe how low the Xbox brand has fallen under that clown Phil Spencer.

I mean, there must be someone to keep Sony in line cuz it could be much and much worse without MS and Xbox, but that's about the only excuse I can think of as to why we even need Xbox consoles.
I don't think anyone is going to keep Sony in line but their own consumers at this point. MS tried to offer cheaper options for hardware and games but it wasn't appealing to people. Competition keeping someone in line really only works if the consumers are responsive to having multiple options. I think a lot of Sony gamers just want Sony to have it all in the high end console space, and they'll get their wish.

Unknown?

I don't think anyone is going to keep Sony in line but their own consumers at this point. MS tried to offer cheaper options for hardware and games but it wasn't appealing to people. Competition keeping someone in line really only works if the consumers are responsive to having multiple options. I think a lot of Sony gamers just want Sony to have it all in the high end console space, and they'll get their wish.
They(MS) also tried to double the price of Gold subscriptions.

Last edited:
They(MS) also tried to double the price of Gold subscriptions.
Sure, and that was shit. Having multiple consoles has benefited everyone at various points throughout the last few generations. PS+ had free online for a while and started the whole gaming sub free games thing which was a great value.

Last edited:
I do. I think the days of Microsoft subsidizing hardware is pretty much over. So create hardware that appeals to both console and PC gamers and you've expanded your hardware reach quite a bit. Imagine XSX as a 1080p 60fps PC for around $999. That falls in line with PC gamers wanting the 3060/4060 series GPUs that are so popular according to Steam surveys.
Matthew Bingo GIF

Like I said back in Aug or so, MS tired of going head to head with Sony and getting destroyed

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
You’re exactly right. Theses idiots running Xbox give fuck all about games. They chase every other thing under the sun except trying to make new games for the console. More controllers than games and now more worried about a survey for a handheld. They should be marketing their games starting with Hellblade 2 as you said but instead they rather not say shite. Pitiful doesn’t even begin to describe how low the Xbox brand has fallen under that clown Phil Spencer.
I mean, I've seen a lot of people saying that we should give them a chance after.... and I'm choosing my world carefully here.... not so great previous generation and 1st party lineup. I can't say no to MS games on the PC cuz I never owned an Xbox and never will. But it's just a fuckin' mess out there and I can't even call Bethesda stuff or Ninja Theory games etc. 1st party cuz they just bought them and all of the Bethesda studios, while their true 1st party is not so great outside of maybe The Coalition - I can't wait to see Gears 6 and play it, but outside of that.... there's not much else if we're not counting studios they bought.

To be fair, MS haven't even started to release their stuff yet for the most part as a lot of it is still in the works. Everything that was released so far is not moving the needle and simply not comparable to what Sony has. But it'll change soon enough... or not, we'll see. One other huge issue for MS is that nobody cares about their consoles and they even have one which creating huge problems for developers and they can't get rid of it or ignore it, even if not a lot of people bought it. Sony was a lot smarter by not releasing pos variant of PS5.

Top Bottom