• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft shuts down Project Spark online services on August 12

Chobel

But people told me MS will never ever shutdown an online game, they have Azure and its infinite power of the cloud.

Sounded neat when revealed but Win8 exclusive so I passed. I guess it wasn't very popular. Can someone who spent some time with it explain what was wrong with it?

Nevertheless it's depressing that anyone who put a lot of time into it can never go back to it.

Same here. Wanted to try it but Windows 8 only was a dealbreaker.

Shame too.

Regginator

Tell me I'm not the only one that keeps confusing Conker with
banjo.jpg

this guy

that's like confusing mario with link

Alx

But people told me MS will never ever shutdown an online game, they have Azure and its infinite power of the cloud.

I think it's not so much an issue with the servers themselves, but with the necessary workforce necessary to check and curate the levels.

Kindekuma

Banned
Guess MS couldn't spark interest in fans to keep playing.

I'll see myself out now. Shame about the game and Conker though.

CO_Andy

I remember watching a really shitty Sonic Adventure recreation in Project Spark.

LittleBigPlanet or Mario Maker this game is not.

shangolin

Banned
Between this studio and the closing of Lionhead I can't imagine the amount of time and money MS wasted on these projects. Hundreds of millions? It boggles the mind

Resident Evil Outbreak Files 1 and 2.

The knife in my heart turns for eternity.

People have set their own servers up for Outbreak. That's the best chance you get right now.

Miss you, MAG.

As much as I love MAG there were way too many unbalanced things in that game.

On topic, I had forgotten that Project Spark was out for a while now. Sucks to hear that their servers are shutting down.

WetWaffle

It's just because the bear is supposed to be like one of the most recognizable mascots that Xbox has. But then apparently people started namedropping someone called Conker. I always think they're referring to him till I googled it and it was just a freakin squirrel with a gun. The squirrel's just very forgettable, is all I'm saying

Alienfan

I remember watching a really shitty Sonic Adventure recreation in Project Spark.

LittleBigPlanet or Mario Maker this game is not.

I don't think you can really compare them - Project Spark's tools essentially allowed you to make any game (subject to a few limitations) you wanted; you weren't restricted to the particular viewing perspective or genre like you are in Little Big Planet and Mario Maker. You could make menus, tinker with the AI, change the camera angle and even do some light motion capturing via the Kinect. Sure the game didn't come together perfectly, but it's potential and ambition were so damn high - it's hard not to respect it.

Wow. The game has only been out for 2 years. I can understand when a company takes down servers after many years... but 2? That's a slap in the face for the people who supported the game.

Even SEGA kept the PSO servers alive for the GameCube right until the last year of the console's life. And that was a third party game, on a not-incredibly-popular console!

jelly

It was a cool idea but Microsoft never seem to iterate enough if it isn't hot stuff from day one, just fizzles out. Hope they put the work to good use elsewhere at least.

It's just because the bear is supposed to be like one of the most recognizable mascots that Xbox has. But then apparently people started namedropping someone called Conker. I always think they're referring to him till I googled it and it was just a freakin squirrel with a gun.

You're not really helping yourself out here.

Wait for the imminent jokes about confusing two arguable gaming icons and "how old are you" posts

Ushay

Damn MS is really claning up recently with shutting down any non useful games. I just hope there is a benefit to all this.

Wow. The game has only been out for 2 years. I can understand when a company takes down servers after many years... but 2? That's a slap in the face for the people who supported the game.

Even SEGA kept the PSO servers alive for the GameCube right until the last year of the console's life. And that was a third party game, on a not-incredibly-popular console!

Sega of Europe even kept the Dreamcast PSO servers up for the same time too (April 1st 2007).

In fact, they even accidentally turned the servers back on and left them on for a few days

lol

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I bought this from a Best Buy deal of the day awhile ago and man, it really did suck. The tools were just not that great for creating something anyone would want to play. It was a really cool idea but it didn't work in the end I suppose. RIP Project Spark.

I wonder how many people were actively using the software in a given week. It has to be a very, very low number for them to kill servers this quickly.

Microsoft seems to be making alot of weird moves lately.

FelipeMGM

Wonder what is going on over at Microsoft? Major restructuring?

Isnt that kind of obvious?

Just look at their major shift in strategy with gaming for the past year or so. Its that Windows 10 focus. On the NPD PR statement they gave yesterday its all about WIN10 and digital engagement.

And yes, they focused on digital stores and services on a NPD press release lol

Top Bottom