• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft shuts down Project Spark online services on August 12

tearsofash

Tell me I'm not the only one that keeps confusing Conker with
banjo.jpg

this guy

My favorite character is Kirby:
Donkey_kong.png

These are the same character.

I heard in Nov last year that Microsoft would be changing their game strategies and were preparing to replace their line up with new stuff. Now that makes sense to me.

shangolin

Banned
I just don't see how that character can be brought into modern times. Conker, like Duke Nukem, just seems like such a dated character concept to me.

I assume you're connecting these two chatacters together because they use vulgar potty humor jokes? But when did potty humor stop being funny? It's been around forever, not just the 90s. It reminds me of that Louis episode where he loathes this comedian for most of the episode because his shtick is fart jokes and other low brow humor, opposite of Louis' more sophisticated style. But he finally comes to terms with the reality that farts can be funny, and are funny to lots of people.

daTRUballin

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I downloaded it some weekend when you could get the "premium" conker content for free if you completed the tutorial.

Tutorial was long, though--by the time I finished it, I had lost interest

I think it was a neat idea, but it seems like there were a couple of years where MS just couldn't get anything to come out right, and I guess this is just another one of those things

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
But Conker

Scuttle(butt) Conker, more like.

Shame it's shutting down. It seemed like a decent(?) LittleBigPlanet clone/attempt by Microsoft. But the fact they mismanaged it REALLY hard hurt it more than anything.

I bought this from a Best Buy deal of the day awhile ago and man, it really did suck. The tools were just not that great for creating something anyone would want to play. It was a really cool idea but it didn't work in the end I suppose. RIP Project Spark.

I would have to disagree. The tools were there to create something fun, expansive and ultimately more advanced than the usual "make your game" game, heck I played a ton of them with my time. The problem though is that the tools were really, really not that user-friendly despite it's purpose on being a user-friendly game creator. So with that you were also dealing with the casual hobbyist vs. how much time they wanted to sink in. When it showed, stuff could be great but when it didn't you end up with a lot of games that were just a whole lot of nothing.

I never actually released a game, but I instead spent a lot of time tinkering with game mechanics and what I could create. In the end, I found I could recreate a lot my favorite game mechanics in the engine. Dragon's Dogma melee to tps shooting mechanics, Bayonetta's Witch Time and Dodge Offset, Vanquish's Boost mechanics, heck I gave Conker a Banjo Kazooie ground pound that was true to the character, I had a blast that summer. But all that also came down to constantly learning tutorials crafted from the community on seemingly the simplest things to get things going.

Were they 1:1? Heavens no, but I can't blame the tools for being limited for Project Spark's failure when limited is the exact opposite I would describe the tools. But the sheer daunting amount of tools with no clear methodology given for the casual hobbyist to go out and expand on those mechanics just hurt it in the end.

Shin-Ra

I don't think you can really compare them - Project Spark's tools essentially allowed you to make any game (subject to a few limitations) you wanted; you weren't restricted to the particular viewing perspective or genre like you are in Little Big Planet and Mario Maker. You could make menus, tinker with the AI, change the camera angle and even do some light motion capturing via the Kinect. Sure the game didn't come together perfectly, but it's potential and ambition were so damn high - it's hard not to respect it.
Camera perspectives are very limiting in LBP(all versions) but you could do all the bolded in LBP2.

RexNovis

Banned
I think they are replacing instead of tightening. I don't believe they are only going to show 3 non-multiplat games at E3.

I mean you're free to believe whatever you want but unless you have some proof I'm going to continue making conclusions based on their recent actions.

I think they are replacing instead of tightening. I don't believe they are only going to show 3 non-multiplat games at E3.

Replacing with what though? Seems to me like they are going to reduce their internal studios, license most of the smaller/ second tier IP, and focus more on digital stores than games for revenue.

That's really sad. I've been part of a user generated content game community for many years, so I can empathize with something like that dying.

Poona

Tell me I'm not the only one that keeps confusing Conker with
banjo.jpg

this guy

Huh? Not sure how. If somehow you do just remember he is a bear and that starts with b as does his name Banjo. So b twice.

Also a Conker is also a seed of sorts. Like acorns, and who can take those? Squirrels, and Conker is a squirrel.

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
This is the games as a service, download future, in many respects. On the plus side, physical copies will be worth a pretty penny in a few years.

Schnauzer

I hope Microsoft E3 blows me away, because to many things (Project Sparks/Fable) are leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Please don't disappoint Microsoft.

hawk2025

Proof's in the pudding, ultimately.

Either the tools were not good enough or the game did not attract particularly good creators, because I've seen exactly zero truly good content coming out of Project Spark. It's easy to say that the options were conceptually great, but if it never amounted to anything substantial... where's the receipts?

At this point the discussion is moot, I suppose.

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
I'm certainly not anti MS, I love win10 personally (and loved my 360's), but certainly of the opinion they really shat the ball this gen. Really looking forward to any comeback they can make.

gaming_noob

I heard in Nov last year that Microsoft would be changing their game strategies and were preparing to replace their line up with new stuff. Now that makes sense to me.

Are you an insider? I think you have to verify your source with a moderator before you can make these types of comments.

naitosan

I'm not really surprised. I enjoyed Project Spark but don't see this going far. I think it's good that they decided to end the service and use money on something else.

Microsoft has gone through a lot of changes lately since Phil took over but I'm glad no jobs lost this time. I look forward to what they're up to.

Wubbys

So maybe I am misinformed about this game but if I recall correctly it was filled to the brim with microtransactions that gated off tons of content. Are people that purchased in game currency getting a full refund?

I mean you're free to believe whatever you want but unless you have some proof I'm going to continue making conclusions based on their recent actions.

Exactly, how are they replacing anything? they cant with internal studios, they shut down pretty much everything except your franchise factories.

And look at their 3rd Party exclusive performance - would you want to partner with Microsoft after seeing sales like Insomniac and Remedy got.

Chris1

So maybe I am misinformed about this game but if I recall correctly it was filled to the brim with microtransactions that gated off tons of content. Are people that purchased in game currency getting a full refund?
I think that was done few weeks ago. Everything is completely free right now I believe

Alx

You only needed to buy new content to create your own levels (although the base package already had a lot to toy with), anybody could download and play any user generated content for free (it wasn't exactly the original plan, but that's how it turned out for the official release).
And 6 months ago, they unlocked everything for free.

ReaperXL7

A polite reminder never to love any online game you enjoy

depends on if your limiting this statement to consoles, on PC there are private servers created by fans that have been up since longer after some games have vanished or become forgotten.

very true for consoles though if you take issue with the idea that you may not be able to play a game years after you've purchased It because I can't ever see console manufacturers ever allowing private server hosting.

Fox Mulder

MS continuing to cancel things. Can't wait for E3 when they show more cg trailers of things that get canceled.

Honestly forgot about it and never downloaded it. Was the Conker thing any good?

I got the conker thing, but the game forced you to do a long tutorial and I said fuck it. Never got to play conker.

Top Bottom