• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios acquires rights to Gears of War franchise/Black Tusk does the work

Gadirok

This is huge news. It basically safeguards the entire franchise from ever going multiplatform (except the first one I guess on PC).

I wonder how much they paid for it?

I wish Sony did something similar for other ips that were raised up on Playstation, but sadly many of them became obscure and faded away. Lest we forget how ips like Crash and Spyro got mishandled and became mediocre.

How big is Black Tusk? Their new IP is supposed to rival Halo and Gears in terms of importance so now that they are making Gears too, they must be pretty big.

wrowa

Would have preferred if Black Tusk worked on something different. Gears of War is not something I feel I can care about anymore.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Good for them, but does giving this to Black Tusk mean that they're going to force that studio into being a Gears-only studio after they release their currently in development new IP? That'd be sad...

This is a great move for MS, I am sure EPIC did rather well out of the deal too.

Love me some Gears, could get me to buy an Xbox One.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Awesoem! This guarantees that we will see more games in the franchise. Wonder how much they had to pay for this though?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
So is Black Tusk's game a Gears game, or are they making two games?

Jarlaxle

Ok, then. Smart move by Microsoft even if I personally feel kind of done with Gears. If they show something amazing, I'm sure I would be back on board.

Griss

The series has pretty much run its course, but it's almost synonymous with Xbox, so if Epic were telling Microsoft that they had no intention of making any more of them, it makes sense for Microsoft to pick it up.

Seems like a win-win all around in this case. Hope the next game is good. Always thought the Gears games got more shit than they deserved for the crime of daring to be a little bit cheesy.

Bgamer90

Banned
Good for them, but does giving this to Black Tusk mean that they're going to force that studio into being a Gears-only studio after they release their currently in development new IP? That'd be sad...

No. I can't see why the new IP wouldn't get a sequel if it gets good critical reception.

Considering the Marcus plot line wrapped up nicely in 3, and Judgement couldn't stand on it's own two feet without him, I'd curious/cautious to see how this series continues.

Also, is Gears even Gears without CliffyB? That's like Halo without Bung... oh... that's right :(

I wish Sony did something similar for other ips that were raised up on Playstation, but sadly many of them became obscure and faded away. Lest we forget how ips like Crash and Spyro got mishandled and became mediocre.

Crash and Spyro are relics of the 90s and wouldn't work today. Hell, even Skylanders has distanced itself from Spyro cause no kid got behind him.

Kikujiro

Incoming "Gears of War was trash" statements from salty people who love sodium.

Does anybody really care about Gears of War any more? Shouldn't they be putting this series to bed in favor of something new and exciting? What's the point?

Edit: Beaten.

How is his post salty? The only one who sounds salty here is you.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Good move MS. Now show us some beautiful piccies.

Freeman

Banned
That must have cost an unbelievable amount of money. I thought this never would have been viable, since MS must have had to compensate Epic for all potential PS4 lost sales, but I guess Epic was just not interested in going another GeoW after Judgment.

The good thing is that if Epic goes multiplataform at least they are not making a new Gears of War.

so we have GOW exclusivity, Halo, and paying for first DLC on BF and COD, my god does the Xbox One feel like a shooty bang bang console. At least this should stop all the Gears to playstation nonsense on the internet.

MS needed a strong IP now that Halo is slowly eroding in quality. I just hope that the new trilogy will be as awesome as the last one.

That means new entries in the Gears of War franchise will come from Microsoft Studios and will remain exclusive to Xbox. Microsoft has tasked Black Tusk Studios, the company's Vancouver-based developer, with creating future Gears of War titles.

Based on this statement it sounds like whatever Black Tusk was working on is separate.

I don't know, guys... I still got a feeling it's coming to PS4.

sixamp

Its funny seeing all the "why, shouldn't they just end the series""milking continues"

gears sells well and the games are above average. "milking gears is no different than milking uncharted, killzone, halo, AC , Mario ,Zelda or any other game that gas multiple titles. There's obviously a core audience who loves these games. Personally I like the single player but hate the multiplayer

Top Bottom