• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios acquires rights to Gears of War franchise/Black Tusk does the work

Maxrunner

so we have GOW exclusivity, Halo, and paying for first DLC on BF and COD, my god does the Xbox One feel like a shooty bang bang console. At least this should stop all the Gears to playstation nonsense on the internet.

Yep, MS can't seem to creating anything in studio so they buy ips and then hire company to do the games....great business here....

V_Ben

Banned
This is good news for Gears fans, but if it means that Black Tusk's new IP is being retrofitted, then that saddens me.

Facism

So are Black Tusk working on something original as well, or are they going to be that gears developer?

Can't say i'm super excited about another one, but hopefully they have a fresh new take on it.

Duxxy3

I am actually happy with this. I don't like it when microsoft pays off a publishers from releasing on other systems, but that's not the case here. They built up an internal studio and bought an IP that microsoft is recognized with.

tumblr_l5se1iTR0T1qz4w1go1_500.jpg

Well now how am I supposed to get my giant, lumpy boulderman fix? Is it too late to cancel my PS4 preorder?

Seriously though, getting insanely burnt out on established franchises at this point.

Well, so much for those multiplatform hopes.

This could be for the best though. At this point was Epic really going to do anything with the franchise? Would the games even be good anymore? Too many key people left for me to say yes.

bak4fun

Unconfirmed Member
It makes sense for microsoft, even if I'd rather see them create new franchise, it's far less risky to just buy an existing one.

The bigger question is : does that mean anything for epic? are they switching from a game dev studio to an engine dev studio exclusively?

Alista

Have to admit, this doesn't excite me. I thought GoW was started to get a bit tired in the second installment and it was wrapped up okay in the third and that was it for me with regards to the series. Then Judgment came along and was just dreadful and forgettable.

Hardly surprising that Epic have decided to cash in on an IP that they've made their money out of already and like many others probably didn't see much more of a future in it. Seems like an odd investment from Microsoft really.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
after thinking about it a bit more a next-gen reboot of sorts, with a new team, could be quite cool. should be beautiful at least

statham

So does this mean Black Tusk are working on two games - including hypothetical GoW game?

GOW will just be in the planning stages, I would imagine they finish the stealth game and put a small team on GOW until after the stealth game is complete.

sajj316

Felt it was only a matter of time. I'm hoping they will make it for PC as well and not keep it to XBOX ONE only. Cross-platform play too.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I can get behind a new Gears game... I definitely want to play more of the series.

I'm just surprised that Epic is hell-bent on getting so far away from making games. What the hell happened there?

"The thing we showed at E3 last year, it was something that was done in Unreal and more of a concept piece," Spencer said, calling it "an asset" created by the team to get their creative juices flowing, not necessarily an in-development game.

Further to my last post suggesting the exact opposite, it sounds like there isn't a second game from Black Tusk.

BraXzy

Clever move by Epic. Unless they had a specific contract, or Black Tusk change engines, they'll get 20% profits of the game without working on it.

I know Epic have focused more on engine devwlopment, which I guess has always been their focus, but I hope they continue to develop games.

I'd like to see MS spend money on either new ip's or bringing back some old IP's like they did with KI. I might be the minority here but after gears 2 I had my fill of it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I thought it was a xbox exclusive allready? You'll learn something new everyday.

It is (well, the original was ported to the PC), but although Microsoft published the games, Epic maintained ownership of the IP. The latter has now changed -- as of today Microsoft owns Gears entirely.

Does this mean more Gears of War on PC?

I wouldn't be optimistic about that until we get word of Microsoft removing GFWL from the original and replacing it with Steamworks.

Top Bottom