• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios acquires rights to Gears of War franchise/Black Tusk does the work

Episodic could work if they were intending to focus on different characters every chapter.

I doubt it will be episodic or F2P, MS surely can't be that stupid...but the thought of it being possible makes their decision to shelve the stealth IP all the more maddening.

I suppose but episodic would make it feel piecemeal imo. Not something I would think you'd go with for a Gears level of experience

BBboy20

Am I the only Gear head not happy about this? Not even the prospect of Sony players never getting to play it or M$ milking the fuck out of it, but I'm pretty sure this wasn't what Black Tusk wanted. I don't care if Rod is back (Travis is just as important), I'm not happy about this.

Am I the only Gear head not happy about this? Not even the prospect of Sony players never getting to play it or M$ milking the fuck out of it, but I'm pretty sure this wasn't what Black Tusk wanted. I don't care if Rod is back (Travis is just as important), I'm not happy about this.

Im happy that the future of Gears is secure, in a place where it will be worked on and with the right leadership (Rod) to move the series forwards.

If Epic aren't going to do anything with the series like it sounds as if they weren't then I personally feel that its best off with Microsoft.

Im disappointed at the situation of the Black Tusk game we saw at E3, I hope it still surfaces, on the balance i'd say as my favourite series I'm happier that we get more Gears than I am disappointed at losing the Black Tusk IP.

I think if Black Tusk can show they're worth with Gears they will continue to grow and will get to make that (or a different) new IP in the future

There are a lot of What If scenarios to think about. New IPs are a tough sell, especially when it is a new studio developing it... however put that new studio on a major franchise and then maybe that new IP might gain traction for a later release.

-PXG-

Oh, all the original voice actors need to return, assuming the game involves Marcus and his cohorts. We won't settle for half assed, second rate shit. I don't care if Black Tusk employees have to sell rocks in order to get it done. We want the same kind of dialogue and banter that the cast is known for

2San

Well I'm not necessarily happy, but not displeased either. I have no idea what to think of Epic in it's current state, so it might as well go to a new studio to me. Would Epic even do anything with the license? What are Epic doing these days really? Even from an engine side of things, Cryegine seems to gaining a lot more traction.

I really don't think a team would be displeased with working on a top tier game like Gears. I somehow doubt they joined a MS game studio with an idea that they would make something other than mainstream AAA titles.

it seems like Epic was ready to put the franchise to bed so MS buying it out means another Gears for us when there wasn't going to be.

I'm also willing to bet MS offered to fund another project but Epic wasn't interested due to already having their hands full with Fortnite/unannounced. I guess they want to move on to different things like cliff.

Lemondish

Im happy that the future of Gears is secure, in a place where it will be worked on and with the right leadership (Rod) to move the series forwards.

If Epic aren't going to do anything with the series like it sounds as if they weren't then I personally feel that its best off with Microsoft.

Im disappointed at the situation of the Black Tusk game we saw at E3, I hope it still surfaces, on the balance i'd say as my favourite series I'm happier that we get more Gears than I am disappointed at losing the Black Tusk IP.

I think if Black Tusk can show they're worth with Gears they will continue to grow and will get to make that (or a different) new IP in the future

Is that a safe assumption to make? Especially since we're talking about Microsoft here.

Is that a safe assumption to make? Especially since we're talking about Microsoft here.

Why wouldn't they? Microsoft are clearly trying to build up their first party studios, an opportunity was presented to them with Gears and clearly they're going to work on it. They obviously trust the studio otherwise they wouldn't have given them Gears

I think the first party studios are in good hands going forward

kodecraft

Lots of Judgement hate here. I loved Judgement. Once they changed the toggle of the weapons from the D-pad to just a single button, I love that!. I couldn't go back.

Give me more Gears 3/Judgement, please.

What an incredible waste of money in my opinion.

Essentially an IP is about lore, characters, setting, environment, identity and its intrinsic value. Star Wars and LOTR for example are worlds of their own with a rich history that has an immediate worth.

With Gears:

- The characters are about as memorable as that time when you did that thing, y'know.
- The world is boring as shit.
- The character designs are big white guys with huge muscles and guns, plus a token black guy... namely any action movie or action game around.
- The enemies are cookie cutter and have zero depth.
- The story is end of the world warzone stuff, basically any game that has been made. No plot to speak of, nothing memorable about it.
- Hell even the shorthand of GoW brings to mind God of War to me and a fair few others to at least devalue the asset.
- The engine, art and tools are all last gen now... pointless.
- The game had run out of all steam at Gears of War 2 for me, I have no idea how they think they are selling enough to cover the cost of this let alone make a profit. I guess everyone will buy reams of merchandise with their favourite characters and dialogue quoted. Yeaahhhhh....

Halo I understood, the characters are recognisable, the story laid out clearly and the enemies design are memorable at least. The plot, dialogue and such are all debatable but sure the Halo universe is vast with lots of potential. And games without the Chief have been successful already, multiple times.

Btw, remember all those Brute Force, Blinx, Crimson Sea, Tao Feng etc. sequels on the 360? Seems like few make the cut in transitioning across and Gears wouldn't have been something I would bet the farm on.

Setting aside the fact that Gears doesn't even take place on Earth and they're all technically aliens....

Pretty sure Dominic Santiago and Maria were Hispanic (not white). Lots of diversity in the secondary cast as well. Cole Train and Jace were definitely not white. One of the main characters was Samoan.

That plus everything else you wrote was wrong.

J-Rzez

I like these as much as the next guy but this one is really stretching and wrong. People seem to forget that Gran Turismo exists, like didn't gt5 sell over 10 million?

Not surprised if epic teased gears for ps4 (did they?) to get a bigger check from MS. Rein likes monies after all. Also have to question how much hype is still there for this series. My buddy loved this series but messaged me saying "meh" with a link to this thread.

Setting aside the fact that Gears doesn't even take place on Earth and they're all technically aliens....

Pretty sure Dominic Santiago and Maria were Hispanic (not white). Lots of diversity in the secondary cast as well. Cole Train and Jace were definitely not white. One of the main characters was Samoan.

That plus everything else you wrote was wrong.
Its still is a macho dudebro game with the carisma of a micjal bay movie....

-PXG-

Lots of Judgement hate here. I loved Judgement. Once they changed the toggle of the weapons from the D-pad to just a single button, I love that!. I couldn't go back.

You can stand in the corner and face the wall now.

Until we see significant game play, any reasonable Gears nut can rest easy, knowing that Black Tusk will likely fuck this up. I hope they don't. But we'll see.

I can see the buzz word filled press releases now, with claims about making it more accessible, the game focusing more on narrative and taking the series in a completely new direction. Oh God..

You can stand in the corner and face the wall now.

Until we see significant game play, any reasonable Gears nut can rest easy, knowing that Black Tusk will likely fuck this up. I hope they don't. But we'll see.

I can see the buzz word filled press releases now, with claims about making it more accessible, the game focusing more on narrative and taking the series in a completely new direction. Oh God..

Agreed. I want a game for us Gear Heads, not something pandering to the masses. If they budget it appropriately, they can make a killing on it even if it only sells ~1 million.

Majanew

Banned
While I'm not happy that Black Tusk isn't working on a new IP, (MS really needs some new first-party IP's) I cannot wait to see next-gen Gears.

KingJ2002

makes sense.

black tusk is unproven as a company... but i'm sure the people there have made some of our favorite games so im cautiously optimistic.

sucks that this isnt a new IP they're working on... im not a fan of MGS being a halo / gow grind house.

Ishan

Why wouldn't they? Microsoft are clearly trying to build up their first party studios, an opportunity was presented to them with Gears and clearly they're going to work on it. They obviously trust the studio otherwise they wouldn't have given them Gears

I think the first party studios are in good hands going forward

bungie says hi.

MysteryM

Yep that was my sentiment too. Judgement took a few days to get used to but played fantastically. I loved gears 3 multiplayer, and judgement multiplayer was fantastic too.

If the xbox one hadn't come out yet i'd still be playing judgement. Its a super solid multiplayer shooter, don't understand the hate at all. I've never even been into the single player so can't tell you what that's like.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I don't see how anybody can comment on how wise a move this was or how good/bad a buy it was without knowing the figures involved.

It should mean at least one more game in that universe which should be good news for Gears fans who also have or intend to have an xbox one.

2San

Yep that was my sentiment too. Judgement took a few days to get used to but played fantastically. I loved gears 3 multiplayer, and judgement multiplayer was fantastic too.

If the xbox one hadn't come out yet i'd still be playing judgement. Its a super solid multiplayer shooter, don't understand the hate at all. I've never even been into the single player so can't tell you what that's like.
It's an average game and the worst Gears MP to date by a wide margin. All the good parts are the mechanics that are taken from previous titles. Everything it did new itself was terrible. A few days of play is enough to get bored from it, as was demonstrated by the MP numbers where Gears 3 quickly become more played.

Judgment was a piss easy game online offering no challenge what so ever. Forcing you to pick between a shotgun and a rifle was probably the dumbest fucking idea. Severely limiting the options people had in engagements had. Maps that required no strategy and where only designed around FFA gameplay. There where only 4 maps at the start and they where trash. It's a joke that the free map was the best map in the game and that map was a remnant from Gears 3 and that was an extremely average map as well by Gears standards. There is no tension in that game. Judgement was Gears designed for idiots. The previous Gears games wasn't a difficult game to play, you didn't need twitch skills to be decent, you just needed some thought capacity on how to engage enemies and coordinate with your teammates. The cod games demand more thought process than Judgment. It didn't even manage to capture the casual crowd in a time when fuck all was coming out on the 360, even they got bored with it pretty quick.

MysteryM

It's an average game and the worst Gears MP to date by a wide margin. All the good parts are the mechanics that are taken from previous titles. Everything it did new itself was terrible. A few days of play is enough to get bored from it, as was demonstrated by the MP numbers where Gears 3 quickly become more played.

Judgment was a piss easy game online offering no challenge what so ever. Forcing you to pick between a shotgun and a rifle was probably the dumbest fucking idea. Severely limiting the options people had in engagements had. Maps that required no strategy and where only designed around FFA gameplay. There where only 4 maps at the start and they where trash. It's a joke that the free map was the best map in the game and that map was a remnant from Gears 3 and that was an extremely average map as well by Gears standards. There is no tension in that game. Judgement was Gears designed for idiots. The previous Gears games wasn't a difficult game to play, you didn't need twitch skills to be decent, you just needed some thought capacity on how to engage enemies and coordinate with your teammates. The cod games demand more thought process than Judgment. It didn't even manage to capture the casual crowd in a time when fuck all was coming out on the 360, even they got bored with it pretty quick.

That's partly due to MS not pushing it and it not falling within the core trilogy, the sales of Judgement can't be anywhere near Gears 3.

I can understand that anyone who enjoyed the slower pace of gears 3 may not get the same kick out of judgement. The closer and slower combat was replaced with faster gunplay, however it was far from poor and just took a few days to get used too. Part of it was twitch gaming, but the shotgun still was an integral weapon and play semantics aren't hugely different from gears 3.

The maps take some getting used to, and i'm the first to normally whine at the lack of maps however they were big and accomodating enough not to get boring quickly.

Older maps didn't work due to the way the pacing of the game changed, that's why checkout never played as well as it did in gears 3.

I can see from your post that your hurting, man i know that hurt when a game dissapoints (I still can't let go of my hate for halo 4) so i know how it feels however saying that cod has more thought processes that judgement doesn't hold any merit and it isn't true. It isn't that twitch combat based, and you can still shoot first and lose to a better opponent. There's still satisfaction to be had in knowing that your ability beat someone outright.

I loved gears 3 (i've owned every gears game and played multiplayer on every version), but i love judgement for different reasons. It contains the same characters as gears 3 but in my head i treat it like a different game.

I am so glad that MS have bought the rights to gears, if 343 can fix halo then a diet of gears and halo on alternative years would get me through the next generation a happy man.

2San

That's partly due to MS not pushing it and it not falling within the core trilogy, the sales of Judgement can't be anywhere near Gears 3.

I can understand that anyone who enjoyed the slower pace of gears 3 may not get the same kick out of judgement. The closer and slower combat was replaced with faster gunplay, however it was far from poor and just took a few days to get used too. Part of it was twitch gaming, but the shotgun still was an integral weapon and play semantics aren't hugely different from gears 3.

The maps take some getting used to, and i'm the first to normally whine at the lack of maps however they were big and accomodating enough not to get boring quickly.

Older maps didn't work due to the way the pacing of the game changed, that's why checkout never played as well as it did in gears 3.

I can see from your post that your hurting, man i know that hurt when a game dissapoints (I still can't let go of my hate for halo 4) so i know how it feels however saying that cod has more thought processes that judgement doesn't hold any merit and it isn't true. It isn't that twitch combat based, and you can still shoot first and lose to a better opponent. There's still satisfaction to be had in knowing that your ability beat someone outright.

I loved gears 3 (i've owned every gears game and played multiplayer on every version), but i love judgement for different reasons. It contains the same characters as gears 3 but in my head i treat it like a different game.

I am so glad that MS have bought the rights to gears, if 343 can fix halo then a diet of gears and halo on alternative years would get me through the next generation a happy man.
I think word of mouth hurt the game, none of my usual (real life) friends got Judgment, because they hated the changes.

The thing is I got used to the combat pretty quick. Since center screen aiming makes things damn easy. That was never the problem. The problem was that everything revolved to run and gun. There was no fear in engagement. There are close to no situations where I think hmm, maybe I should not push that guy. This was especially true, since people where forced to choose between a rifle and shoty. Which means even less options for the opponent to stop my pushes. I could freely push most players and it would work out fine most of the time. I am not even that good, but I have put in time in the previous titles.

I'm used to playing Gears with people, we used no tactics in Gears:Judgment since individual skills was enough to win. Which was actually my breaking point with the game. When I finally had a proper team going the game was so boring and we dominated with no tactics. Which seems sacrilege for a Gears title. In previous gears games 2 average players could for example switch to lancer and focus fire. However in Judgment they probably both have shotties themselves which puts them at a great disadvantage against an experienced player.

The Maps where indeed big in Judgment, but that's exactly the problem with a game designed around 5v5 encounters. There was no real map control, having no understanding of a map wasn't that big of a problem. In previous Gears titles we used to talk about how to approach the next game or round, since that was vital to winning. Being big provided nothing in terms of gameplay.

Despite my dislike of CoD, the game has wide assortment of weapons and people do equip a wide range of weapons and I do feel you do have to know the maps to perform in the game. Which is why I put Judgment below it.

Judgment did hurt and I am over it for the most part...I'll leave now and cry in a corner.

2San

^ Honestly some post by you and smik are way better and more articulate on this matter, but I couldn't find them.

Top Bottom