• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

David:

If he's such a great guy, he should have just apologized personally, rather than protect all his tweets and have others basically apologizing for him.

That's how a human being who makes a human mistake should handle a fuckup, IMO. This immediately walling up and going into PR Fortress Mode is going to make him seem like even more of an elitist, corporate shill to the folks that see him that way already.

Your accessibility, (even to criticism,) is why you're so respected around here.

I trust you when you say that his tweet doesnt represent hia real feelings. But I personally don't give a rip if he feels that way or not. As someone who has lived on the coasts as well as in Texas, I know plenty of people with that "flyover states" mentality. It's an attitude that does exist. It's their loss though, and I dokn't care if a representative of a company has that attitude, nor would it weigh on the purchase decision of a product.

I think more people care about his crappy analogies and how they relate to MS's platform than whatever his attitude toward Anytown, USA is.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
Oh wow ..

3tpl21.jpg

Goddamn. Y'all doin too much. lol

neorej

ERMYGERD!
While my console may be always online, your servers will not.
Deal with that and maybe we'll talk. Until then: Sony may have my money.

Always on devices are great -- most people, including myself, demand that out any consumer electronics purchase we make these days. What people really don't like is the idea that a choice that you probably would have made anyway has been forced down your throat in a manner that doesn't logically benefit the end user, and provides many possible drawbacks that interfere with your use of the expensive electronics device you bought.

Microsoft needs to very clearly draw a line that connects mandatory always-on to a benefit to the end user that couldn't exist without the restriction. I'll reserve judgment -- but I'm doubtful that they can pull this off. We already know game experiences can be better when we have auto-updating patches, leaderboards, social integration, etc etc. vs. an offline experience.

The argument I can see them trying is something like "developer can design better games when they have a complete data set of what consumers do in their games." That argument will quickly fall flat for 2 reasons: 1) It's speculative and indirect. 2) It's complete bullshit, because developers should already have more than ample data on usage from the 70% of people who are voluntarily connected to extrapolate the whole. Any self-selection bias is likely to be so small as to be irrelevant.

What device you have is requires always online connection to serve most of its primary functions?
What devices have you demanded always online connection for?

I'll be all for this if the XBOX going to be more of a roku box than a gaming box, but until then...

jbug617

Banned
The worst thing about this for him is that this is not going to blow over any time soon. There isn't a big game release for the next month (Injustice could be but I doubt it) and Microsoft supposedly will announce their next console till late May.

Yagharek

What a fucking clown.

I hope the Internet never let's this guy live this down. How pathetically unprofessional for someone in a position such as his.

The people that are releasing the system are more to blame though. An apologist is bad enough, but not as bad as the ones making the mistakes in the first place.

Averon

Don't give two shits whether this is just a joke and he is not really like that in real life. Do people not understand that if you post shit on your own personal twitter that it is the equivalent of you going out on the public stage and saying those things to a crowd of people? If you want to shoot the shit with friends and stuff you keep everything private. Game developers and people in the enthusiast press seem to not understand this basic concept. People get fired for facebook posts and don't even get hired because of them. Why is twitter seen as different. If you want to troll create a troll account.

For some reason Twitter compels people to post away without any sort of self-imposed filter. The amount of jobs Twitter has claimed has got to be massive.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
well nobody knows the reason because they didn't announce the console yet. We don't know the features yet
I can't think of a single thing that would be the benefit of constant check-in or else the game gets disabled. Not for me as the customer/player, at least. And I've seen nothing from those endorsing this action that's putting it in any better light. The most forthright rationale seems to be, "why would you ever want to be offline?", aka Just Because We Can.

More like confirmed to be a stand up guy and coming to a friend's defense publicly.

I'm with you on that, especially with David well aware of how easy it is to fan these flames. Not that I cannot relate to some of the concerns, though the relentless cynicism that permeates so many discussions is a bit of a bummer.

Colby

Considering I played the 360 offline mostly...this doesn't bode well. I can hook up my 20+ year old Genesis and rock some Sonic 3 & Knuckles whenever I want. I'm guessing this won't be possible with the Next Box.

Of course, we don't know all the info, so I'm not gonna pass judgment. But if being online is required to play games, then Sony's got themselves another customer.

this kind of feels like a terrible xbox system unveiling.

I personally do believe he's half joking/partially serious -_-.
I just honestly can't believe people are defending this.

Say the next box will have better games, better services for you, better online functions, etc etc. There's really no need to defend something that will take away user options and limit a segment of your fellow users.

Zinthar

What device you have is requires always online connection to serve most of its primary functions?
What devices have you demanded always online connection for?

Perhaps I wasn't clear: I meant that his tweet about people wanting devices to be connected (ie always-online) isn't controversial -- it's having the requirement arbitrarily forced upon the user that is the cause of the uproar, which he didn't address.

If Microsoft has any hope of quelling the uproar, they're going to have to come up with something to address this -- otherwise they might as well just issue a statement along the lines of "we're fucking you in the ass because we can... oh, and we like to."

rac

Banned
I don't want him to get fired for this. I don't even believe he deserves the insults he has received, but yo can't blame gamers for picking up on this tweet. I would still feel bad if he lost his job. It's not really in our control though.
Don't feel too bad, if he gets fired he seems like a perfect fit at polygon. Oh wait...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
You have to imagine, if always-online is true, that MS is spending a lot of time and money coming up with a strategy to introduce it as painlessly as possible. Probably thought about how they will fit it in during the unveiling, and how to pass on the talking points to the usual suspects. How do you tell people they (probably) can't play used games, or play the games they've purchased if not hooked up to the net?

And then this guy is like, hey twitter...

JABEE

David:

If he's such a great guy, he should have just apologized personally, rather than protect all his tweets and have others basically apologizing for him.

That's how a human being who makes a human mistake should handle a fuckup, IMO. This immediately walling up and going into PR Fortress Mode is going to make him seem like even more of an elitist, corporate shill to the folks that see him that way already.

Your accessibility, (even to criticism,) is why you're so respected around here.

I trust you when you say that his tweet doesnt represent hia real feelings. But I personally don't give a rip if he feels that way or not. As someone who has lived on the coasts as well as in Texas, I know plenty of people with that "flyover states" mentality. It's an attitude that does exist. It's their loss though, and I dokn't care if a representative of a company has that attitude, nor would it weigh on the purchase decision of a product.

I think more people care about his crappy analogies and how they relate to MS's platform than whatever his attitude toward Anytown, USA is.

I can't blame him for this. Once it started, he probably freaked out. He is probably going to get into a ton of trouble for this. It's better to wait for PR people to give you advice on what to do. I feel bad for him, but I disagree with Microsoft and his philosophy.

ironcreed

Banned
Welp, there you go, confirmed to hell and back lol.

"Given that legally I cannot confirm or deny if this information is true, nor can I comment on rumor or speculation, all I can say is be sure to pay your ISP bills.
wink.gif
"

Yep, sure is looking that way. It's all we are hearing.

Top Bottom