• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

I can't think of any always-online game that's had a smooth, trouble-free launch, and Microsoft wants a whole console library of that. The RROD was a big enough deal that I imagine most people would be wary of buying a new Microsoft console day one, and then they want to add potential Sim-City-debacles onto each and every game. They must be so confident in their infrastructure and stuff.

Sony's approach allows the user to opt-in while still enabling them to make use of the system they bought even if they don't, while the approach MS is rumored to be taking forces the user to opt-out disabling access to pretty much everything in the process, for no good reason.

If a high enough percentage of consumers opt-out like Playstation Home then all the money Sony invested in those features was a waste. The system would then be seen by rising mobile developers, the few remaining console publishers and investors, as a device stuck in the past with low value consumers who aren't connected to the Internet with a credit card on tap.

What's more likely to happen rather than people saying they won't buy a 720 or Apple TV or Roku or Steambox because Internet might go out is that half of the 40% Xbox owners who never saw a reason to connect their console to the Internet will finally give in and finally connect the box to the Internet. The idea that there is going to be a widespread mainstream backlash against entertainment boxes that require online is ridiculous. Apple TV sold over 2 million units last quarter and it's entertainment offering is a complete joke next to an Xbox.

Satchel

Banned
Would they though? Seems like Microsoft is being very selective who gets one.

This is what I mean. His most recent project is a Sony exclusive, and now an unknown studio he works for is announcing PS4 development.

Sounds like a shit stirrer.

While it could be true, I don't think he should be used as confirmation.

Fewr

You have to imagine, if always-online is true, that MS is spending a lot of time and money coming up with a strategy to introduce it as painlessly as possible. Probably thought about how they will fit it in during the unveiling, and how to pass on the talking points to the usual suspects. How do you tell people they (probably) can't play used games, or play the games they've purchased if not hooked up to the net.

And then this guy is like, hey twitter...
Well, it's obvious they'll offer free wireless internet for all units like kindle does (or did?).

Pennywise

Would they though? Seems like Microsoft is being very selective who gets one.

As far as I can see based on their staff, they've got quite alot of former activision guys.
I don't think they will focus on exclusive content.

Hmm, alot of Borderlands 2 DLC pictures on their homepage, anyone knows if the dlc stuff was outsourced ?

kirblar

I can't blame him for this. Once it started, he probably freaked out. He is probably going to get into a ton of trouble for this. It's better to wait for PR people to give you advice on what to do. I feel bad for him, but I disagree with Microsoft and his philosophy.
We've seen where this leads, both with relatively good (D3 attempting to stop the black market) and not-so-good (SimCity DRM) intentions. It feels like trying to explain (in vain) to the guys pushing the Iraq war that history tells us that starting a land war in Asia is really not going to go well.

You have to imagine, if always-online is true, that MS is spending a lot of time and money coming up with a strategy to introduce it as painlessly as possible. Probably thought about how they will fit it in during the unveiling, and how to pass on the talking points to the usual suspects. How do you tell people they (probably) can't play used games, or play the games they've purchased if not hooked up to the net?

And then this guy is like, hey twitter...

Sometimes the world is good...

Ouren

If a high enough percentage of consumers opt-out like Playstation Home then all the money Sony invested in those features was a waste. The system would then be seen by rising mobile developers, the few remaining console publishers and investors, as a device stuck in the past with low value consumers who aren't connected to the Internet with a credit card on tap.

What's more likely to happen rather than people saying they won't buy a 720 or Apple TV or Roku or Steambox because Internet might go out is that half of the 40% Xbox owners who never saw a reason to connect their console to the Internet will finally give in and finally connect the box to the Internet. The idea that there is going to be a widespread mainstream backlash against entertainment boxes that require online is ridiculous. Apple TV sold over 2 million units last quarter and it's entertainment offering is a complete joke next to an Xbox.

Hi Adam.
I'm free to take meetings at the next tradeshow. I'll be able to convince you that Always Online is damaging to the future of our industry. You know how to get in touch.

Lynd7

If true I will not buy the console. Even if I am connected whenever I am on, there are times where I may not be able to and would still want to be able to play my games.

Not to mention the entire console and games could become useless in 10 years or so. Not good.

3tplhw.jpg

Toki767

"Given that legally I cannot confirm or deny if this information is true, nor can I comment on rumor or speculation, all I can say is be sure to pay your ISP bills.
wink.gif
"

Yep, sure is looking that way. It's all we are hearing.

Yeah...no one is really flat out saying "No, it's not true." but a lot of people are saying that they can't comment which just really makes it seem like it's true.

bill0527

Always on devices are great -- most people, including myself, demand that out any consumer electronics purchase we make these days. What people really don't like is the idea that a choice that you probably would have made anyway has been forced down your throat in a manner that doesn't logically benefit the end user, and provides many possible drawbacks that interfere with your use of the expensive electronics device you bought.

Microsoft needs to very clearly draw a line that connects mandatory always-on to a benefit to the end user that couldn't exist without the restriction. I'll reserve judgment -- but I'm doubtful that they can pull this off. We already know game experiences can be better when we have auto-updating patches, leaderboards, social integration, etc etc. vs. an offline experience.

The argument I can see them trying is something like "developer can design better games when they have a complete data set of what consumers do in their games." That argument will quickly fall flat for 2 reasons: 1) It's speculative and indirect. 2) It's complete bullshit, because developers should already have more than ample data on usage from the 70% of people who are voluntarily connected to extrapolate the whole. Any self-selection bias is likely to be so small as to be irrelevant.

I think the general premise of your first sentence is wrong.

I don't demand that my consumer electronics devices always be online. I honestly can't think of any piece of electronics that I own, that is completely worthless if its not online. Functionality is greater, features are more plentiful, but if the Internet goes down, I don't have to go find something else to do for the evening.

Smartphone - no wifi or weak or broken 3G/4G signal...well I can still play games on it, not multiplayer games obviously, but at least I can still use it. I can also listen to music on it, take pictures with it, and do other things that don't require any type of network connection to be always present.

Smart TV - I can still watch TV if the Internet is down, if the cable or satellite is out, I can plug in an antenna and still watch TV. Or I can pop in a DVD or Blu Ray

PC - I can still type out documents and spreadsheets if I have the files locally, play many games that don't require an Internet connection

IPad - can still listen to music, or consume any content synced to the device without an Internet connection being present

Come to think of it, I can't think of ANY consumer electronics device that I would use heavily in my daily life that would be rendered useless if no Internet was present.

sinxtanx

Holy shit, I wake up to this?

Luckily, I have a gif for occasions such as these.

Does he think this somehow sells anyone on the idea of always-online?

Maybe this will be a central piece of their marketing

THE NEW XBOX WITH KINECT - Why don't you get a better Internet connection, you piece of shit? I know a guy with a real stable connection, he's got a nice apartment (always on), hot wife (always on), great job (always on) AND he's got the New Xbox with Kinect (always on). What've you got? Your car? Please. That's not an always-connected device. Complete a purchase of the New Xbox with Kinect. It will force you to get better Internet, thus making your entire life better. You're welcome.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

This is fantastic, thank you. Yowzers.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't know that my iMac stopped working when I lost my internet connection, or that I can't play videos or music stored locally on my ipad when I don't have an internet connection.

Thanks for informing me!
So do you think iMac will be more successful than Durango as a gaming machine?
iPad I can easily see...

kirblar

Apple's also essentially a high-end luxury goods provider in many markets, and Apple TV falls right into that category. If someone's in the market for those types of items, of course they'll have broadband internet access.

But this is the next XBOX. It is not a high-end luxury product by any means of the imagination, and it needs to be aimed a a mass audience with a wide degree of personal circumstance. If the company's attitude towards the lower rungs of the market is "let them eat cake", then they'll just eat that PS4 cake instead.

edit- Was unfamiliar with AppleTV, quickly googled, and found the wrong item/price point. Apologies for the (obviously) dumb post.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I don't think you grasped what made play station home a failure(even though it is apparently pretty profitable for them). Optional online had nothing to do with it.

Also I have no idea why you seem to tie the failure of home as a sign for the failure of the digital market, which has grown a huge deal over this generation.

I don't play my 360 offline. I think cutting potential customers off is dumb but who plays games not connected to the internet?

I only think this is dumb if gold is required.

I've taken my consoles on vacations or moved them to other rooms when I couldn't use my main television. I've had internet access go out for hours at a time when I would normally be playing. I've had mild internet problems that interfered with playing multi-player online so I played single-player; I would have neither option with always-on.

I can see it possibly being a problem a gift for a kid. Maybe you don't want them playing online.

What was the reaction here when the original Xbox required a broadband connection? I only had dial-up available for at least the first year I had it, yet I could still play games. And I think that was part of the reason I also delayed getting it. This could definitely hurt sales, and I don't really see how it's a positive bullet point in any case.

Pennywise

This is what I mean. His most recent project is a Sony exclusive, and now an unknown studio he works for is announcing PS4 development.

Sounds like a shit stirrer.

While it could be true, I don't think he should be used as confirmation.

Unknown ?
They aren't that old.
Some of them are also known throughout the community.

And they're offering dev jobs with the following platforms: PC, Xbox 360, PS3

jbug617

Banned
It's the top story on front page Reddit right now, ahead of Roger Ebert's death, that's a feat itself

I think he might actually lose his job now. Wonder if Microsoft PR will respond tomorrow or not because they haven't acknowledge the console yet

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah...no one is really flat out saying "No, it's not true." but a lot of people are saying that they can't comment which just really makes it seem like it's true.

He indirectly said 'yes' at the close of his statement. Big enough red flag for me, considering who he is.

yeah the guy is going to get in big trouble tomorrow. I'm sure he didn't think this would of got this far

This is what will happen:

Official Microsoft PR:

"Adam was just giving his personal opinion on the matter via harmless tweets on Twitter. It in no way indicates our official direction of our Xbox platform. We are pleased at the excitement for what will come next for the Xbox, please stay tuned!"

:p

Satchel

Banned
Apple's also essentially a high-end luxury goods provider in many markets, and Apple TV falls right into that category. If someone's in the market for those types of items, of course they'll have broadband internet access.

But this is the next XBOX. It is not a high-end luxury product by any means of the imagination, and it needs to be aimed a a mass audience with a wide degree of personal circumstance. If the company's attitude towards the lower rungs of the market is "let them eat cake", then they'll just eat that PS4 cake instead.

Joke post right?

100 dollar apple tv vs a potentially $400US Xbox, but the AppleTV is the luxury product?

more so, the guy buying an Apple TV can afford the internet, but the buying buying the Xbox can't? Come now.

Top Bottom