• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

inky

Good to know at least some sites are making this known. LOL, locking his Twitter account... I bet he wishes the internet wasn't always online now.

Mxrz

If a high enough percentage of consumers opt-out like Playstation Home then all the money Sony invested in those features was a waste. The system would then be seen by rising mobile developers, the few remaining console publishers and investors, as a device stuck in the past with low value consumers who aren't connected to the Internet with a credit card on tap.

What's more likely to happen rather than people saying they won't buy a 720 or Apple TV or Roku or Steambox because Internet might go out is that half of the 40% Xbox owners who never saw a reason to connect their console to the Internet will finally give in and finally connect the box to the Internet. The idea that there is going to be a widespread mainstream backlash against entertainment boxes that require online is ridiculous. Apple TV sold over 2 million units last quarter and it's entertainment offering is a complete joke next to an Xbox.
What the shit. Is this some attempt at reverse PR?

I was going to do a meme, but that pic made me feel guilty. Then I reread his tweets, dude has it coming.

UberTag

I don't understand :/ Does that mean you can't play singleplayer games offline?
No, you can still play them offline.
But only for 3 minutes at a time.

imageview.php

kirblar

Joke post right?

100 dollar apple tv vs a potentially $400US Xbox, but the AppleTV is the luxury product?

more so, the guy buying an Apple TV can afford the internet, but the buying buying the Xbox can't? Come now.
I googled it and got the wrong price point completely, I'll edit it to fix it. (I thought that AppleTV referred to the physical Apple television sets)

Ouren

The next Xbox won't be my choice for the Apocalypse.

…in the post-apocalyptic world of regular of 7 years from now, the servers will be down, no man will be able to play the games he purchased less than a decade ago. No one is entitled to the things they own. A man is then resigned to merely play every other videogame system that has existed before it or in tandem. How shall he survive without Halo X?

Birathen

Did that guy just lose his mind on Twitter? The "Like it or you are a hillbilly retard" aproach really makes me not want to buy it.

BobTheSpy

Banned
Microsoft is going to force you to be online for some arbitrary and bullshit reason. And they're going to charge you so you can play online, something completely free on every other gaming system. And after you've paid for your "deluxe" online service? They'll continue to cover your console's OS in ads. Microsoft is basically saying "Fuck you." to the consumer.

I am so not buying the next xbox.

Klocker

Well played.

On a serious note, if something actually similar to OnLive was planned for Durango early in its life cycle I think we'd have heard about it. Friends of mine who tried that service were not impressed by the input latency -- maybe in a decade when gigabit internet is common and wireless standards have further matured.

there has been talk that the cloud would used to offload some of the less critical tasks of games or at least allow devs to do so while the machine worked on critical tasks at hand so as I said earlier DRM is not NECESSARILY what this is about.

ironcreed

Banned
Microsoft is going to force you to be online for some arbitrary and bullshit reason. And they're going to charge you so you can play online, something completely free on every other gaming system. And after you've paid for your "deluxe" online service? They'll continue to cover your console's OS in ads. Microsoft is basically saying "Fuck you." to the consumer.

Sounds so lovely, does it not?

789shadow

Banned
By the way, yes, who the fuck would want to live in Blacksburg VA besides the hundreds of thousands of Virginia Tech students here and their thousands of fucking Xbox 360's.

I am so not buying the next xbox.

When you put it like that, it makes me wonder why I even had Live.

So what does MS hope to gain from having all consoles online? What are the benefits to this?

The cons are obvious as fuck.. But what is driving MS to do this? Is it all anti-consumer BS?

Have our console connected to the internet or it can't play your games. Even if they don't have online features.

Have our console connected to a camera or it can't play your games. Even if they don't have camera features.

I think we know where this is going.

Keep your pants on, Xbox gamers.

Knowing Adam, he was probably fucking around with M. But I've not spoken with him- he MAY believe that, he may have just been kidding. I honestly have zero idea about that part. But I honestly hope he doesn't get fired for it. I know so many of you guys who are opposed to 'online only' don't care (and that is certainly your right) but this is a real human we are talking about with a family and trust me when I say that he's one of the good ones. You may disagree with him about this issue (assuming he really meant what he wrote- and yes, that was his responsibility to be aware of how stuff reads on Twitter and how hungry folks are for news about next-gen, especially from someone with his job title) but I assure you guys: if you knew the guy, you'd be feeling really bad for him right now and really all works out great for him.

Not asking you to change your mind or anything- just giving my perspective on it.

Thanks for reading-

David

Eh, I don't want to see the guy fired. If he was joking about the city tweet, that's fine. But it is kind of insulting, taken out of context, to people that live in rural communities or places that are not major metropolitan areas, especially considering that, yes, even in the middle of nowhere USA there are gamers. Hell, I live in West Virginia, so people automatically assume I have a third grade education, no teeth and an outhouse. It's no biggie. I'm used to it.

I think people are more upset about all the rumors floating around about the next Xbox being always online. If it's true, this guy is obviously not the person who made that choice. It was a higher up. I think what we are seeing is people expressing their frustration with that notion and focusing their anger on someone who, more than likely, probably let the cat out the bag if the rumors are to be believed. I'm sure the guy is kicking himself right now. If I were him, I'd probably be rolled up in a fetal position on the floor knowing that I was drawing the ire of the gaming internet. I don't have any ill will against the guy. I just have ill will against the idea of the always online future and, well, the idea that people that don't live in cities don't matter.

tldr: Don't think the guy should be fired. People that live in the country are gamers too. Yes, we have internet. Some of us, including the city folk here on GAF, don't like the idea of always online.

Knowing Adam, he was probably fucking around with M. But I've not spoken with him- he MAY believe that, he may have just been kidding. I honestly have zero idea about that part. But I honestly hope he doesn't get fired for it. I know so many of you guys who are opposed to 'online only' don't care (and that is certainly your right) but this is a real human we are talking about with a family and trust me when I say that he's one of the good ones. You may disagree with him about this issue (assuming he really meant what he wrote- and yes, that was his responsibility to be aware of how stuff reads on Twitter and how hungry folks are for news about next-gen, especially from someone with his job title) but I assure you guys: if you knew the guy, you'd be feeling really bad for him right now and really all works out great for him.

Not asking you to change your mind or anything- just giving my perspective on it.

Thanks for reading-

David

I feel bad for him because he posted something that can be interpreted as sensitive and unreleased information. But in a way, I don't feel bad because how how he came off on his tweets. I don't think this exchange should have been public.

I hope he doesn't get fired and, honestly, working in a large corporation myself, I just don't see it happening.

WinFonda

Seems little crass to make light of someone possibly losing their job, even if they said some stupid stuff on twitter.
well, it's a joke :) Just contrasting his "internet is awesome" comment with his current predicament. I don't think he's actually going to lose his job, and I don't personally want the guy to lose his livelihood.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I would feel bad for him if there are any serious repercussions (I honestly don't believe he'll get fired or anything like that) for him personally... but I wonder how absentminded you have to be to basically swat an already pissed off hornet's nest and present yourself as whipping boy to an already frothy internet.

People are fucking pissed about always-online. They want someone to blame. First stage of grief is anger. Not smart to be the first (from MS) on record defending this shit.

I genuinely feel bad for the guy now. This probably blew up way bigger than he could ever imagine.

If this guy was the internet advocate he thought he was he would have realized this is how it works. I've always been deadly afraid of doing anything stupid on the internet because I learned early on it's pandoras box.

Camp Lo

Banned
Orth has also now switched his Twitter account settings to private.

Twitter strikes again. When will these fucking idiots learn just because there's an open mic in front of you, doesn't mean you have to speak into it.

Top Bottom