• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
3tpkz2.jpg
This is amazing lol

Reiko

Banned
If this guy was the internet advocate he thought he was he would have realized this is how it works. I've always been deadly afraid of doing anything stupid on the internet because I learned early on it's pandoras box.

Facebook horseshit and a annoying former friend taught me well.

JCreasy

Apple's also essentially a high-end luxury goods provider in many markets, and Apple TV falls right into that category. If someone's in the market for those types of items, of course they'll have broadband internet access.

But this is the next XBOX. It is not a high-end luxury product by any means of the imagination, and it needs to be aimed a a mass audience with a wide degree of personal circumstance. If the company's attitude towards the lower rungs of the market is "let them eat cake", then they'll just eat that PS4 cake instead.

edit- Was unfamiliar with AppleTV, quickly googled, and found the wrong item/price point. Apologies for the (obviously) dumb post.

No no no no.

Apple TV is also a digital only device. As in, all the content is streamed. Of course it's always connected.

If I insert a disc, I expect to be able to interact with that content offline if need be. So the only way I imagine Durango getting a pass on this is if it ends up being a discless console - I'm either downloading or streaming games with it. Inherently, the device would be online only. THAT would be a proper Apple TV comparison. But even then, I could still see folks having an issue with it for obvious reason.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
If a high enough percentage of consumers opt-out like Playstation Home then all the money Sony invested in those features was a waste. The system would then be seen by rising mobile developers, the few remaining console publishers and investors, as a device stuck in the past with low value consumers who aren't connected to the Internet with a credit card on tap.

What's more likely to happen rather than people saying they won't buy a 720 or Apple TV or Roku or Steambox because Internet might go out is that half of the 40% Xbox owners who never saw a reason to connect their console to the Internet will finally give in and finally connect the box to the Internet. The idea that there is going to be a widespread mainstream backlash against entertainment boxes that require online is ridiculous. Apple TV sold over 2 million units last quarter and it's entertainment offering is a complete joke next to an Xbox.
I really can't make heads or tails of your logic. Always online isn't some magic bullet that somehow ensures every project invested in is profitable. Nobody is going to suddenly think they have to buy every game/app just because their console is always online. But they may very well decide not to buy games if that's the barrier for entry.

Eh, I don't want to see the guy fired. If he was joking about the city tweet, that's fine. But it is kind of insulting, taken out of context, to people that live in rural communities or places that are not major metropolitan areas, especially considering that, yes, even in the middle of nowhere USA there are gamers. Hell, I live in West Virginia, so people automatically assume I have a third grade education, no teeth and an outhouse. It's no biggie. I'm used to it.

Woah, no kidding? Where in WV? It's not often you see fellow West Virginians on GAF.

fallagin

Knowing Adam, he was probably fucking around with M. But I've not spoken with him- he MAY believe that, he may have just been kidding. I honestly have zero idea about that part. But I honestly hope he doesn't get fired for it. I know so many of you guys who are opposed to 'online only' don't care (and that is certainly your right) but this is a real human we are talking about with a family and trust me when I say that he's one of the good ones. You may disagree with him about this issue (assuming he really meant what he wrote- and yes, that was his responsibility to be aware of how stuff reads on Twitter and how hungry folks are for news about next-gen, especially from someone with his job title) but I assure you guys: if you knew the guy, you'd be feeling really bad for him right now and really all works out great for him.

Not asking you to change your mind or anything- just giving my perspective on it.

Thanks for reading-

David

Yeah, this is good counseling. People should keep in mind that this is a real human being. You may disagree with him, but that doesn't make you mortal enemies.

Gorillaz

starting to wonder if too much bad news will push MS to move a little faster to at least admit a new system is coming. Im not the type to feel MS is in a pinch because of Sony moving fast but possibly because of the bad news it self

I might actually watch the Durango reveal now.

I'd lose my shit if there was a Vita/AT&T level reaction to the news.

Wouldn't happen. Game journalists would be far too accepting and unsurprised by this news to care. The only reason AT&T got that reaction is because they offer shitty service where these folks generally live and work. Always online won't get the same furor as they've all got Internet connections, and probably good ones, given their geography and line of work.

Would be nice though.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
By the way, yes, who the fuck would want to live in Blacksburg VA besides the hundreds of thousands of Virginia Tech students here and their thousands of fucking Xbox 360's.

I know! Why would they do that when Radford is so close by! It has... that one Mexican restaurant that has $1 tequila shots. And a 7-11. And trees.

I fucking love Radford.

It has nothing to do with loyalty. This is how I have been using the technology for the past generation. The absolute only thing I ever do on my Xbox when not signed into Xbox Live is watch DVDs. The device is a fucking brick without Xbox Live as far as I'm concerned. That isn't Microsoft who says that. That's how I feel about it.

An Xbox 360 without Xbox Live Gold is a steaming pile of shit. Why would I ever use my Xbox when the Internet is down. Everything I do on an Xbox including saving and syncing my consoles together requires being online. That's Xbox 360 I'm talking about, not Durango.

That's fine if you disagree, but that's how I've been living for 7 years now. I would never play my Xbox 360 offline so this decision would have nothing but positive benefits for me. It means no longer building games like it is 2004 anymore, it means building single player games that involve sharing and communicating and competing with other people.

JOLR

Reiko

Banned
Yeah, this is good counseling. People should keep in mind that this is a real human being. You may disagree with him, but that doesn't make you mortal enemies.

Worst part is that he's getting sacked for this when it's the un-named higher ups that is bringing this rumored DRM on gamers.

Pennywise

Apart from some individuals, everyone is keeping that in mind.
The really interesting part here is the conformation of the always online console, and not his behaviour.

Atruvius

So what does MS hope to gain from having all consoles online? What are the benefits to this?

The cons are obvious as fuck.. But what is driving MS to do this? Is it all anti-consumer BS?

I think it's a response to jtagging 360s. Guess they see pirates even a bigger threat next gen.

Mifune

Mehmber
Yep. Officially feel bad for the guy. This thing has blown up bigger than I thought possible. It's approaching PR nightmare status.

Does he think this somehow sells anyone on the idea of always-online?

Maybe this will be a central piece of their marketing

THE NEW XBOX WITH KINECT - Why don't you get a better Internet connection, you piece of shit?
Almost woke up the girlfriend laughing, thank you.

As others have said, I don't own a single device that becomes useless when the internet goes down. There really isn't a benefit to me as a consumer to have an Xbox with no offline mode.

watership

I feel for Microsoft here. They can't do a single thing about the negative spin the xbox franchise is going through in the court of public opinion (at least at the enthusiast level). They haven't announced the new xbox yet, and they can't spoil that carefully planned event. So rumours and leaks and tiny bits of information, that may or not be true go unanswered, no matter how bad.

I bet someone wants to say "WAIT.. the always online thing is being overblown, it's not what you think!" but everyone is gagged. So people post "I'm done with Microsoft. I'm done with Xbox. I'm out." and Microsoft has to keep quiet. I find it odd, that not one leak has been positive. Why wouldn't someone say that X feature is awesome, or Y feature is new. Nothing positive at all. That's suspicious.

Imagine working on this thing for years and this happens before you even announce? What a nightmare.

Gorillaz

Worst part is that he's getting sacked for this when it's the un-named higher ups that is bringing this rumored DRM on gamers.
Its perfect. He will be the fall guy in it all. They get off scott free for there decision and sack a guy who just happen to be talkitive

The corperate world is fucked up aint it?

MormaPope

Banned
I genuinely feel bad for the guy now. This probably blew up way bigger than he could ever imagine.

He should know what he says can represent much more than himself, especially since he classifies himself as a Microsoft employee. He could've potentially leaked information that could cost Microsoft any amount of money.

Not gonna lie. I do feel bad for him. Hope he doesn't lose his job or anything of the sort.

Reality is starting to edge closer into the situation and I feel bad as well. I wouldn't want that to happen either - especially after making light of what could just be a misunderstanding. Employees definitely shouldn't be doing this though. It's just more work for someone else.

I hope this is cleared up in the next few weeks for everyone's sake.

I feel for Microsoft here. They can't do a single thing about the negative spin the xbox franchise is going through in the court of public opinion (at least at the enthusiast level). They haven't announced the new xbox yet, and they can't spoil that carefully planned event. So rumours and leaks and tiny bits of information, that may or not be true go unanswered, no matter how bad.

I bet someone wants to say "WAIT.. the always online thing is being overblown, it's not what you think!" but everyone is gagged. So people post "I'm done with Microsoft. I'm done with Xbox. I'm out." and Microsoft has to keep quiet. I find it odd, that not one leak has been positive. Why wouldn't someone say that X feature is awesome, or Y feature is new. Nothing positive at all. That's suspicious.

Imagine working on this thing for years and this happens before you even announce? What a nightmare.

Your points are great and you've definitely resonated with me.

As a consumer, I just want to go with the most enjoyable, cost efficient, and hassle-free entertainment product. We can empathize with employees and all, but the corporation itself ultimately isn't interested in our feelings. The prices are going to keep going up and somebody is going to be affected.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Knowing Adam, he was probably fucking around with M. But I've not spoken with him- he MAY believe that, he may have just been kidding. I honestly have zero idea about that part. But I honestly hope he doesn't get fired for it. I know so many of you guys who are opposed to 'online only' don't care (and that is certainly your right) but this is a real human we are talking about with a family and trust me when I say that he's one of the good ones. You may disagree with him about this issue (assuming he really meant what he wrote- and yes, that was his responsibility to be aware of how stuff reads on Twitter and how hungry folks are for news about next-gen, especially from someone with his job title) but I assure you guys: if you knew the guy, you'd be feeling really bad for him right now and really all works out great for him.

Not asking you to change your mind or anything- just giving my perspective on it.

Thanks for reading-

David

The ship has sailed...

But what I would like to know is how this happened. I mean, are there people monitoring dev accounts?

SykoTech

Just seeing this thread for some reason, but that's one seriously depressing OP. Not only because the always online pratice is terrible, but those analogies are just s bad. Comparing power outages and phone service to losing an internet signal? Jeez.

Oh well.

That was Gamestop's job ;) Maybe not the best choice...

This whole thing is pretty hilarious, in a way. The guy being an elitist ass about technology and the internet, and then not seeming to understand how twitter works.

jbug617

Banned

I would assume the Gamestop CEO was the positive article this week. He was down of the next Xbox but seems to change his tune.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Oowee, this thing blew the fuck up. I'm loving this. Put pressure on MS to at least give some clarification to the online requirement thing.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
He will not be fired. This guy might suck at PR and the internet, but real PR folks will want to bury this quickly.

Public firing would be the opposite, since it'd only draw more negative attention.

If they respond at all, it'll be brief, and downplay the whole thing.

I think Microsoft is going to start requiring a Twitter etiquette class for all its employees pretty soon.

I do feel for the guy that it blew up this big, but if you are a leader of a studio, anything you say publicly reflects on your employer and on yourself. If you're going to troll about sensitive subjects, DON'T FUCKING DO IT IN A PUBLIC FORUM.

Seriously, not that hard.

well i guess one of the positive things about this is MS is going to know how much hatred always online has and it's a pretty enormous fail move on their part.

Top Bottom