• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

Jetboxx

I'm not a big fighter fan myself but i get you. Also....why is MS missing out on a lot of Japanese fighting games? I mean...JRPG's not selling much....sadly...but ok,but fighters?
Well, I think developers just don't see any sense in releasing fighting games like Guilty Gear and King of Fighters on the Xbox One. Capcom won't release SFV on the Xbox One just because of the fact that the game was sponsored by Sony. But Tekken is on the Xbox One, and I'm sure SoulCalibur would be on the Xbox One as well. Same to Dead or Alive (the series is dead to me after Itagaki's leave but it's pretty popular). And it looks like Virtua Fighter is dead... What else?

Well, I think developers just don't see any sense in releasing fighting games like Guilty Gear and King of Fighters on the Xbox One. Capcom won't release SFV on the Xbox One just because of the fact that the game was sponsored by Sony. But Tekken is on the Xbox One, and I'm sure SoulCalibur would be on the Xbox One as well. Same to Dead or Alive (the series is dead to me after Itagaki's leave but it's pretty popular). And it looks like Virtua Fighter is dead... What else?

King of Fighters? Blazblue skipped Xbox iirc but yeah, most big fighters are on it though.

Bit of hype. I'm still in the early 2019 camp, I think they are going all out.

4dLe7Kl.jpg

JlNX

4dLe7Kl.jpg

They have been making a large investment in redesigning a lot of their development tools as well, because a lot of them were very dated and have been part of the Halo engine for a long time. It just so happened that with the X coming along and the need to redesign the earliest areas of the toolset both lined up together at the right time, plus that toolset was an issue during 5's development. 343 as a studio has been going through a sort of refresh the last year, a new studio (team was too large for the building, especially with the amount they were hiring), a lot of new talent hired, new heads of departments, a renewed focus on the philosophy of the studio and the studios outward approach to the community. The rebuilding of certain areas of the engine and improving others to be able to handle the new needs of the live team is only one area were they are improving. It's a good sign for 6 especially with a lot of new heads of departments and new talent having proven themselves very well, I agree it's possible it might not be 2018 due to a lot of this work but there is no world in which Halo isn't MS's holiday title.

peppers

I trust 343 on this one. I also hope they don't wait too much to announce it and then release it shortly after because I'd like to replay 1 through five + Reach + ODST + Wars 1 and 2 (+ some of the cool transmedia like forward unto dawn and such) and I'm slow as fuck with videogames in general...

sam12

Upcoming exclusives list

Retail
Crackdown 3 (Microsoft)
Disneyland Adventures (Microsoft)
Forza Motorsport 7 (Microsoft)
[Pending] Natsuki Chronicle (Qute)
Rush: A Disney Pixar Adventure (Microsoft)
Sea of Thieves (Microsoft)
State of Decay 2 (Microsoft)
Super Lucky’s Tale (Microsoft)
[Pending] Shooting Love Trilogy (Triangle Service)
[Pending] Yomi wo Saku Hana (Experience)
Zoo Tycoon: Ultimate Animal Collection (Microsoft)

Download
The Artful Escape (Annapurna Interactive)
Ashen (Annapurna Interactive)
Bacon Man (Skymap)
Below (Capybara Games)
Black Desert (Pearl Abyss)
Brief Battles (Juicy Cupcake)
Calibre 10 Racing Series (Bongfish)
Crabitron Kinect (Two Lives)
Cuphead (StudioMDHR)
Cyber Complex (Polarity Flow)
The Darwin Project (Scavengers Studio)
Deep Rock Galactic Dive (Coffee Stain Publishing)
Enki (Storm in a Teacup)
Gemini (Echostone Games)
Glitchrunners (Torque Studios)
Grabbles (Noble Whale)
Hello Neighbor (tinyBuild Games)
The Last Night (Raw Fury)
Ori and the Will of the Wisps (Microsoft)
Ostrich Island: Escape from Paradise (MeDungeon Games)
Planet of the Eyes (Coco Cucumber)
PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds (Bluehole)
Raging Justice (MakinGames)
Reservoir Dogs: Bloody Days (Big Star Games)
Shiny (Garage 227 Studios)
Soccertron (Erosa Games)
Spaera (Blazing Orb)
Swordy (Frogshark)
The Toilet Chronicles (The Pyxel Pub)

Via gematsu

peppers

Upcoming exclusives list

Retail
Crackdown 3 (Microsoft)
Super Lucky's Tale (Microsoft)

Download
Bacon Man (Skymap)
Below (Capybara Games)
Cuphead (StudioMDHR)
Enki (Storm in a Teacup)
Gemini (Echostone Games)
Grabbles (Noble Whale)
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (Bluehole)
Soccertron (Erosa Games)
Spaera (Blazing Orb)
Swordy (Frogshark)

Via gematsu

Never heard of those pending japanese games.
I thought Xbox wasn't getting many japanese games, let alone exclusive ones...

Upcoming exclusives list

Retail
Crackdown 3 (Microsoft)
Super Lucky’s Tale (Microsoft)

Download
Bacon Man (Skymap)
Below (Capybara Games)
Cuphead (StudioMDHR)
Enki (Storm in a Teacup)
Gemini (Echostone Games)
Grabbles (Noble Whale)
PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds (Bluehole)
Soccertron (Erosa Games)
Spaera (Blazing Orb)
Swordy (Frogshark)

Via gematsu
Ya I wouldn't trust them. Half of those are timed exclusives and some are outright multiplat (Shiny, Planet of the Eyes)

Also a lot of actual ones that are missing.

Not sure who compiled that but Wikipedia is much more accurate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_One_games

salromano

Ya I wouldn't trust them. Half of those are timed exclusives and some are outright multiplat (Shiny, Planet of the Eyes)

Also a lot of actual ones that are missing.

Not sure who compiled that but Wikipedia is much more accurate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_One_games

If the link was posted, you'd have seen that there's context to this list: http://gematsu.com/exclusives/xbox-one

They're color-coordinated by timed exclusive, console exclusive, full exclusive, etc.

That's my list, by the way, which I do for every platform. It's not 100 percent perfect, as I'm the only one keeping it updated, but it's pretty accurate. I don't think there's anything missing as you said, and if there are, they're usually download games that I see and add upon release.

The past few days I've been seeing threads on Reddit of people wishing Yakuza came to Xbox. And I wonder, what exactly is keeping Sega from giving the franchise a chance on Xbox? I mean the franchise clearly is doing well enough to warrant all these new games releasing in USA and Europe, expand that market I'd say. No idea how much more buyers they would get but I'd be one of them for sure.

This could have been one of the franchises that Phil Spencer could have made a deal for with Sega when he was in Japan. I'm of course just guessing here, but so far it doesn't seem to be the case. Sega also brought Binary Domain to 360 iirc, and that was also the same team. Wonder what Phil would say if asked about it on Twitter, maybe no response at all though.

sam12

If the link was posted, you'd have seen that there's context to this list: http://gematsu.com/exclusives/xbox-one

They're color-coordinated by timed exclusive, console exclusive, full exclusive, etc.

That's my list, by the way, which I do for every platform. It's not 100 percent perfect, as I'm the only one keeping it updated, but it's pretty accurate. I don't think there's anything missing as you said, and if there are, they're usually download games that I see and add upon release.

I am viewing it through mobile but I don't see the different colors. They all appear as one color on the phone. Is that not accessible because of mobile?
Nice work on the list overall though!

There's always been a select family of Xbox-only or Xbox-focused games in Japan.The kind of games that are so niche that not even the most die-hard fans ask for localisation.

So, uh, I guess this is a thing?

https://twitter.com/DragonpunkGame/status/906243373455081472

"Great News! Just got word our proposal to make a next-gen #Shadowrun game is in review! Please RT to let @Microsoft know it's time!"

Wat

No, really, wat?

I never played Shadow Run before, looking it up it looks great. How has this genre never been done right before, fantasy + future universe, the game I never knew I needed!

Make it happen MS.

Yeah, Fantasy Cyberpunk is a hell of a thing. There's a whole series of pretty great WRPGs. Check out the Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut.

4dLe7Kl.jpg

Don't do this to me, i love Halo and this news seems too juicy not to dream about. Halo 5 was a fun game but it was lacking the magic that have made the Halo campaigns so fun. Halo 3 in terms of level design i still think stands above all of the Halo games, but I sure do love the areas we visited in 5, the asenthics were top of the line for a halo game, just the level designs in some areas fellml short.

With the Xbox X and 343 having 3-4 years of development, I can't imagine how epic it's going to be. I truly hope they go all out.

I would love an open world Halo fps or one with hub worlds/levels like ODST or Dues Ex, but even just getting something along the line as Halo 3 with 343's beautiful cinematography for cutscenes and an excellent story is all I need.

FelipeMGM

So, uh, I guess this is a thing?

https://twitter.com/DragonpunkGame/status/906243373455081472

"Great News! Just got word our proposal to make a next-gen #Shadowrun game is in review! Please RT to let @Microsoft know it's time!"

this is such a weird story, but Im cheering for this guy I guess. Here is some info from the pitch lead of how this came to be:

I led a team at the University of Texas at Dallas to create an augmented reality game than rendered graphics in the cloud. We tried to pitch it to investors, but we were young, and they didn't take it. Even though I have a degree in video game production, I gave up on the game when I got recalled back into the Army. My father knew it was my dream, so he'd always say, ”when are we gonna make that game of yours?" (Even though he knew nothing about computers). Three years ago, he was fatally shot, and I promised I would do everything possible to make a next gen Shadowrun game. I've sold everything I have, including my car, to get to this point. So every September, I write Microsoft to ask permission to make a next-gen Shadowrun game

Publishers want to see actual demos and player count. That's exactly what we've been doing with Dragonpunk over these last 2.5 years. The first year, I don't feel that Microsoft took me seriously (just my opinion). The second year, Microsoft was respectful, but still declined. This year, they're taking the proposal much more seriously, and we're hoping to show this as much player support as possible.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Oh please, don't let Shadowrun be an online multi-player first person shooter. An excellent IP that's only been used well by Harebrained Schemes since the SNES version. Gee, I wonder what it will be. :(

Oh please, don't let Shadowrun be an online multi-player first person shooter. An excellent IP that's only been used well by Harebrained Schemes since the SNES version. Gee, I wonder what it will be. :(
I'm fairly positive Phil Spencer has said in interviews that he thought making Shadowrun an FPS was a mistake.

Akai__

They have been making a large investment in redesigning a lot of their development tools as well, because a lot of them were very dated and have been part of the Halo engine for a long time. It just so happened that with the X coming along and the need to redesign the earliest areas of the toolset both lined up together at the right time, plus that toolset was an issue during 5's development. 343 as a studio has been going through a sort of refresh the last year, a new studio (team was too large for the building, especially with the amount they were hiring), a lot of new talent hired, new heads of departments, a renewed focus on the philosophy of the studio and the studios outward approach to the community. The rebuilding of certain areas of the engine and improving others to be able to handle the new needs of the live team is only one area were they are improving. It's a good sign for 6 especially with a lot of new heads of departments and new talent having proven themselves very well, I agree it's possible it might not be 2018 due to a lot of this work but there is no world in which Halo isn't MS's holiday title.

How do you know all of this stuff?

In all seriousness, Shadowrun for Xbox 360 was great and very ahead of its time. What a great team based shooter it was.

Jetboxx

In all seriousness, Shadowrun for Xbox 360 was great and very ahead of its time. What a great team based shooter it was.
Maybe it just shouldn't have been named so. Just like Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts. Just like Dino Crisis 3. These games are good, they just shouldn't have been named so.

The past few days I've been seeing threads on Reddit of people wishing Yakuza came to Xbox. And I wonder, what exactly is keeping Sega from giving the franchise a chance on Xbox? I mean the franchise clearly is doing well enough to warrant all these new games releasing in USA and Europe, expand that market I'd say. No idea how much more buyers they would get but I'd be one of them for sure.

This could have been one of the franchises that Phil Spencer could have made a deal for with Sega when he was in Japan. I'm of course just guessing here, but so far it doesn't seem to be the case. Sega also brought Binary Domain to 360 iirc, and that was also the same team. Wonder what Phil would say if asked about it on Twitter, maybe no response at all though.

That they would not get as much buyers as they could if they just double down on PS4 and PC.

A few people on reddit or other gaming forum making noise is one thing but companies wouldn't be doing things like this if they didn't have sales data supporting their decisions.

Shiggy

giphynes80.gif

Microsoft is launching the Minecraft: Explorer's Pack for Xbox One on November 7 (retail) for EUR 29.99. Probably the latest Minecraft version since it was previously listed as "Minecraft & Graphics Pack".

Brace yourselves.....

Wxp1i2X.jpg
Nice. I wonder what this could be about?

https://www.windowscentral.com/what-phil-spencers-promotion-means-xbox

With gaming having its own voice on the senior leadership team, essentially, Spencer will have a little more room to maneuver moving forward.

Previously, for larger projects and sign-offs, the Xbox team would've had to seek the blessing of both Windows chief Terry Myerson and, thus, CEO Satya Nadella before any action could be taken. Myerson likely sees everything through the lens of what benefits Windows, rather than gaming, not specializing in gaming himself. It's quite easy to imagine how he could've potentially hindered important decisions.

One of the reasons the Windows 10 Store is so atrocious for video game delivery is that it's handled by the Windows team, rather than the Xbox team. The Xbox Store has no issues delivering larger files, unlike the Windows Store, and it enjoys much better categorization and usability. There are multitudinous issues with the Windows Store for gaming, but as a quick example: Forza Horizon 3 last year suffered the same download issues that Forza Motorsport 7 suffered from these past weeks – a year on, and still no fix. It's a basic example, but it just doesn't feel like gaming is a priority for Myerson's Windows team, so it's easy to imagine how this attitude could've hurt Xbox.

Now, owing to the efforts of Spencer and his team, gaming has been elevated to the senior leadership table at Microsoft, sitting alongside Azure, Office, and Windows, rather than beneath them. Xbox head Phil Spencer will answer directly to Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, cutting out Windows chief Terry Myerson as the middleman. And that's quite important

Phil Spencer will have one-to-one strategy sessions with CEO Satya Nadella on a more frequent basis, as a result of being part of the executive team. Spencer's passion for gaming and his intimate understanding of the industry, his team, and the platform itself will be far better placed to advocate for blessings that benefit us – as gamers – than it would've been coming to Nadella second hand via Terry Myerson.

I was planning on posting this but I decided to check this thread first. I would almost say we need a thread for Phil tweets, haha.

I would love to get excited because God knows how much I'd like to see certain Japanese games on Xbox but how much has his visit to Japan earlier this year help Xbox when it comes to JP games? I mean it's amazing we're getting Monster Hunter World but as it had been said here this was probably arranged quite a while ago already and likely not the result of that visit.

Nier Automata
Nioh
Ni No Kuni 2
The Tales of franchise
Yakuza
Left alive

Bring it, bring it all over to Xbox please! If even one of these happened it would be a great start. Man this shit was great on 360. Plenty to choose from.

FelipeMGM

I finally played some Sea Of Thieves yesterday and I loved it. The whole coperation aspect is so fun and rather easy to adjust too, even playing with total strangers we managed to do stuff and laughed a lot together. The chore mechanics are great and fun, so If Rare manages to give that game meaningful content, it could be pretty big.

Also, checked some Xbox One X dev kits from close and they are sooo awesome, MS should have based the Scorpio special edition on that

Top Bottom