• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

Chris1

That wasn't an issue for them when they announced State of Decay 2 and Dead Rising 4 in the same e3 conference and they were originally due out within about 8/9 months of each other.

Maybe their pitch was shit but given the lack of top quality independent developers they can work with and the ridiculously high quality of forza Horizon 3, i personally would take a very long hard think about letting playground go elsewhere even if the game itself wasn't necessarily something in an area I needed. For Microsoft I think it would be a huge mistake, great for pc and PlayStation owners though.

They should be looking to tie them down in a long partnership or acquire (I know I know RIP) not say "we have a similar game sorry lads"

Also who knows if State of Decay repeats its past success and lives on. By the time this game launches the marker could've changed significantly

I don't think similar games is necessary a huge turn off, not should it be with certain developers and the changing market.
Pretty much

It doesn't matter what type of game Playground want to make the quality is there and FH is probably the best franchise they have left these days in terms of sales and reception. MS should be getting behind them 100%, if not even purchasing them.

And even if that was the reason which I doubt tbh (I also doubt it's a zombie game too as they're kind of dying out except for TLOU, plus given their history I'd expect it to be something more like GTA with driving involved), then Phil clearly needs to be woken up because who the hell would pick DR4 or SOD2 over a Playground game? Nothing against them but one is 3p/multiplat and the other is AA/lower budget.

Honestly even if their pitch was shit it's still worth a gamble, if it doesn't look good a few month in then kill it & allow them to go elsewhere but at least give them a shot. Playground is a top tier developer these days, it's worth keeping onto them.

Pretty much

It doesn't matter what type of game Playground want to make the quality is there and FH is probably the best franchise they have left these days in terms of sales and reception. MS should be getting behind them 100%, if not even purchasing them.

And even if that was the reason which I doubt tbh (I also doubt it's a zombie game too as they're kind of dying out except for TLOU, plus given their history I'd expect it to be something more like GTA with driving involved), then Phil clearly needs to be woken up because who the hell would pick DR4 or SOD2 over a Playground game? Nothing against them but one is 3p/multiplat and the other is AA/lower budget.

Honestly even if their pitch was shit it's still worth a gamble, if it doesn't look good a few month in then kill it & allow them to go elsewhere but at least give them a shot. Playground is a top tier developer these days, it's worth keeping onto them.
Those two games were in motion way before Playground's game. Playground is just getting started with this new game.

Games like DR4, Titanfall and ROTR are not games I would lump in as part of first-party portfolio considerations.

Those games are 3rd-party short-term wins aimed at enriching the libraries of XB1 for a short period of time, so that they have more exclusives they can tout to sell and push more consoles.

First-party games and IPs, especially AAA ones are long-term investments that are set-up to build franchises and long-term investments over multiple games. When you think of funding games for the next 10 years, you have to consider franchise overlap and whether or not the money is better used on ideas with less convergence of fans.

Whether or not it's "worth keeping them" can also be attributed to devs like Remedy, and to a lesser extent, Insomniac. Capable devs despite financially underperforming, both of which relationships are not "extended" as MS finds new partners instead.

Portfolio management is a bitch and sometimes leads to opportunity cost consideration. Everyone wishes things can go on as they are, but money spent on X means money not spent on Y.

Games like DR4, Titanfall and ROTR are not games I would lump in as part of first-party portfolio considerations.

Those games are 3rd-party short-term wins aimed at enriching the libraries of XB1 for a short period of time, so that they have more exclusives they can tout to sell and push more consoles.

First-party games and IPs, especially AAA ones are long-term investments that are set-up to build franchises and long-term investments over multiple games. When you think of funding games for the next 10 years, you have to consider franchise overlap and whether or not the money is better used on ideas with less convergence of fans.

Whether or not it's "worth keeping them" can also be attributed to devs like Remedy, and to a lesser extent, Insomniac. Capable devs despite financially underperforming, both of which relationships are not "extended" as MS finds new partners instead.

Portfolio management is a bitch and sometimes leads to opportunity cost consideration. Everyone wishes things can go on as they are, but money spent on X means money not spent on Y.

Microsoft don't really have a tomb raider or titanfall though. What you've said makes it easier for them to say to say no to DR4 and they wanted it anyway?

I'd be surprised if they found a title from another developer like playground, and there are big differences between them and remedy as much as I love AW and QB. Insomniac went back to Sony 🤷*♂️ it depends on what else they're pitching

Also I'm sure someone said it was a witcher style rpg

jelly

I don't think you'll see Halo 6 until 2019 either. 343 really need to do something special and hit the ground running. They need the time. I also think they are probably going heavily into Destiny territory as well which will be a big effort.

2018 is safely Read Dead slaughter.

The best thing for Microsoft would be to move their IP to the first half of the year or at least split to first half, very early second half and not sink a title next to juggernauts unless you yourself are the juggernaut.

PUBG - Fall 2017
Cuphead - Fall 2017
Sea of Thieves - First Half/Fall 2018
Ori and the Will of the Wisps - Fall 2018
State of Decay - First Half 2018
Halo 6 - First Half 2019
Forza Horizon 4 - Fall 2019
Gears 5 - First Half 2020
Age of Empires 'PC'- Fall 2020

Sure, it's not all new stuff but varied enough and backed by big 3rd party, Microsoft can get by for the next few years while they may or may not be making new IP. I expect we will get big teases in 2019 while E3 2018 will be safe bets more or less then ride it out until Xbox 4 launches a new generation in 2021 with greater showings of new stuff and expanded content on old IP like something fresh with Halo and I think they will start to allow 343 or the coalition among others to try new IP.

Next Gen

Forza 8 Launch Title - Fall 2021

Microsoft don't really have a tomb raider or titanfall though. What you've said makes it easier for them to say to say no to DR4 and they wanted it anyway?

What I'm saying is that if there's a AAA 3rd-party game that they could get timed-exclusivity of, they're not going to be picky about it and complain/reject on based on that it's "similar to what they already make themselves."

Timed-exclusives in the AAA space, especially for games that has a global audience are very rare these days. It's not like there's a library of games that MS is consciously saying "I don't want DR4, instead I want timed-exclusivity on that other game please!"

jelly

Maybe Playground didn't accept what Microsoft were offering? It's possible they liked the IP but Microsoft wanted something more in return or Playground wanted to be multiplatform but were perhaps interested in a limited exclusive period to help with development costs.

What I'm saying is that if there's a AAA 3rd-party game that they could get timed-exclusivity of, they're not going to be picky about it and complain/reject on based on that it's "similar to what they already make themselves."

Timed-exclusives in the AAA space, especially for games that has a global audience are very rare these days. It's not like there's a library of games that MS is consciously saying "I don't want DR4, instead I want timed-exclusivity on that other game please!"

Surely that is exactly why you pick and choose the third party exclusives you take? If youre so bothered about portfolio management why go for something you already have?

Could've spent that money elsewhere

shingi70

Banned
I hope 343 takes their time with Halo 6. Halo 5 has the best multiplayer in the series, but the single player was severely lacking. It really should have taken direction from ODST and the Metroid Prime series.

Pretty much

They have to want to be bought, though.

EDIT: Misread part of your post. The first part is OK, but I deleted the irrelevant stuff. =P

I hope 343 takes their time with Halo 6. Halo 5 has the best multiplayer in the series, but the single player was severely lacking. It really should have taken direction from ODST and the Metroid Prime series.

I think a cool game in the Halo universe would be a spartan being dropped off on a Halo ring with a time limit to stop it from firing and with limited resources to deploy during your mission.

Halo needs a refresh for its campaign design.

JlNX

This is what I see 2018- Q1/Q2 2019 looking like:

Of course there is stuff that is unknown according to this quote:
“We’re trying to learn from that mistake and do better, so we have a bit that’s in development now that we’re not talking about. We’re in this for the long haul, and we wanna make sure that not just in the spring of 2018, but in the summer, and in the fall, and the spring of 2019 that we’ll have great, unique, fun experiences for Xbox gamers.”

January
February
March
  • (Option 1) Crackdown 3: 1-2 million / 2-2.3 million if very good (very unlikely) (GTA online GAAS model for Wrecking Zone)
April
  • (Option 2) Crackdown 3: 1-2 million / 2-2.3 million if very good (very unlikely) (GTA online GAAS model for Wrecking Zone)
  • Sea of Thieves: 1.5-2 million (lacking content)/2-3 million (GWOM)/3-4 million (Twitch/Youtube success) (GAAS Micro-transaction money live event model) (Expansion model)
May
  • Sea of Thieves: Live event
  • State of Decay 2: 2-4 million (GAAS Expansion model/ multiplayer expansion?)
  • (Option 1) AOE 2 remake: 1-1.3 million/ eventual steam release 2.5-3.5 million
June
  • (Option 2) AOE 2 remake: 1-1.3 million/ eventual steam release 2.5-3.5 million
July
August
  • (Option 1) Ori and the Will of the Wisps: 3-4 million/ steam release 4-5 million (expansion model)
September
  • Forza Horizon 4: 4-5 million (expansion model)
  • (Option 1) Sea of Thieves: 1st expansion (including live event)
  • (Option 1) Ori and the Will of the Wisps: 3-4 million/ steam release 4-5 million (expansion model)
October
  • Halo 6: 4-5 million (similar reviews Halo 5)/ 5-8 million (GWOM) (Built from the ground up GAAS) (November 2018 - November 2020 content)
November
  • State of decay: 1st expansion
  • Halo 6: Content drop
December
  • AOE 3 remake: 1 million/ eventual steam release 2 million
  • Forza Horizon 4: 1st expansion
  • (Option 2) Sea of Thieves: 1st expansion (including live event)
January 2019
February 2019
  • AOE 4: 2-3.5 million/ eventual steam release 4-6 million (Expansion model)
March 2019
  • Studio Gobos game
  • Sea of Thieves: 2nd expansion (including live event)
April 2019
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps: expansion (re-release)
  • Sea of Thieves 2nd expansion (including live event)
May 2019
  • Forza Horizon 4: 2nd expansion
  • State of Decay 2: 2nd expansion
June 2019
  • AOE 4: 1st expansion

shingi70

Banned
I think a cool game in the Halo universe would be a spartan being dropped off on a Halo ring with a time limit to stop it from firing and with limited resources to deploy during your mission.

Halo needs a refresh for its campaign design.

Halo 4 totally should have had that Hook for most of the game being stuck on Requim.

What we know: "As of mid-2016, MGP has 14 games in development."

This excludes games that are internally developed or externally developed, but managed by the franchise studios. ( Halo Wars 2/Forza Horizon are owned and managed by their respective franchise studios, even if it's made by an external dev )

What was qualified as among those 14 games were Phantom Dust, Crackdown 3, Scalebound, ReCore, Killer Instinct and State of Decay 2.

So...

1. Phantom Dust HD
2. Crackdown 3
3. Scalebound
4. ReCore
5. Killer Instinct
6. State of Decay 2
7. Ori & the Will of the Wisps
8. Super Luckey's Tale
9. Zoo Tycoon: Ultimate Adventure Collection (maybe?)
10. Rush: A Disney Pixar Adventure (maybe?)
11. Disneyland Adventures (maybe?)
12. Studio Gobo game
13. Unknown
14.Unknown
15. ReCore: Definitive Edition ( started after ReCore shipped after all )
16+: Other games/projects signed between 2016-2017

Dunno if Age of Empires projects fall under the 14 games range.

I thought the Phantom Dust remake was canned. It's back?

Chris1

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...mes-that-unite-people-rather-than-divide-them

"Right now we are very focused on games that bring people together, who form communities and find ways to self express," Loftis explains. "What we've noticed during this generation is that it is less of a case of going out and spending a couple of hundred million and putting a blockbuster on a shelf, as it is a case of creating a small game that gamers latch onto because it is great to watch, or there are awesome screen clips that you can share with others. We are indexing on that quite a bit."

So basically don't expect AAA games but instead smaller games like Recore and Super Lucky's Tale.. Was kind of obvious after last years E3 but I guess at least it's confirmed now?

That's good to hear aaa titles can be so inconsistent with sales. Aa is fine with me
I don't think AA titles are any more or less consistent. It is all about how you manage the idea for a game. There should be an attempt to manage both AAA and AA simultaneously. That is what I look forward to from a platform anyway.

gamz

I don't think AA titles are any more or less consistent. It is all about how you manage the idea for a game. There should be an attempt to manage both AAA and AA simultaneously. That is what I look forward to from a platform anyway.

But they are doing g AAA and AA simultaneously.

But does that mean an end to story-driven Xbox titles like Quantum Break?

"No," Loftis says. "There is a fun YouTube search that I like to do: 'Reactions to people watching the Ori and the Will of The Wisps trailer'. It is a blast watching their reactions and seeing them crying, good crying, over the game. Even the ability to share a reaction to a story, or to share how something made you feel in that moment, that is a viable social mechanic. There will always be a need to tell these stories, like Ori or like Zelda. Zelda is an incredibly social game, and just because you are playing it by yourself, doesn't mean that the entire world isn't sharing your experience.

shingi70

Banned
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...mes-that-unite-people-rather-than-divide-them

So basically don't expect AAA games but instead smaller games like Recore and Super Lucky's Tale.. Was kind of obvious after last years E3 but I guess at least it's confirmed now?

I don't mind this one bit. Games like KI, Ori, and Recore are probably way cheaper to develop than say Quantum Break and they have been some of the most successful the xbox has had first party wise. Hell up until Uncharted Boodborne was the best first party sony game it probably had a Foruth of the budget that The Order and Infamous had.

Not really. How many AAA expensive Blockbusters are Sony coming out with. Probably about the same. It's a huge risk to blow that kind of money on a game that isn't known.

You know what companies like EA, Ubisoft, MS, Sony, etc are?

MEGA PUBLISHERS.

I want mega publishers to constantly take huge risk and invest in AAA new IPs.

Ubisoft is unquestionably the best company this gen in terms of constantly investing and showcasing new IPs, big and small while also maintaining their stable of core franchises.

My hope is for every company to be as close to Ubisoft as they can without bankrupting themselves.

shingi70

Banned

MEGA PUBLISHERS.

Ubisoft is unquestionably the best company this gen in terms of constantly investing and showcasing new IPs, big and small while also maintaining their stable of core franchises.

My hope is for every company to be as close to Ubisoft as they can without bankrupting themselves.

I'd disagree to some degree. I mean THQ Nordic is a AA publisher but putting out stuff like Darksiders 3 and Biomutant seems like a pretty big gamble for creativity.

blakep267

That's such a bs quote.

Go and show them sales of plenty of AAA games, just not their own
In have you not seen what's happening to watchdogs 2, Titanfall, anything Bethesda puts out not skyrim or fallout etc. plenty of big AAA games are failing especially MS games not halo forza or gears.

gamz

MEGA PUBLISHERS.

How many are taking a huge risk on AAA? The riskier games are in the AA market. It's cheaper and you can stand to take the hit if it fails. No different then the movie industry.

blakep267

How many are taking a huge risk on AAA? The riskier games are in the AA market. It's cheaper and you can stand to take the hit if it fails. No different then the movie industry.
Yeah. Only Ubi is taking "risks" and those risks still follow their same template for service based MP games. EA is relegating its risks to their partner programs, Activision is only putting out 2-3 games a year with 1 being COD etc

gamz

Yeah. Only Ubi is taking "risks" and those risks still follow their same template for service based MP games. EA is relegating its risks to their partner programs, Activision is only putting out 2-3 games a year with 1 being COD etc

MS is taking a risk with SoT that game can't be cheap.

Papacheeks

Banned
In have you not seen what's happening to watchdogs 2, Titanfall, anything Bethesda puts out not skyrim or fallout etc. plenty of big AAA games are failing especially MS games not halo forza or gears.

Are you talking about prey when you mention Bethesda? One game not selling well. Out of Wolfenstein, DOOM, Elder scrolls online, Dishonored which hasn't done super great but not terrible.

Most of their games sell. Wolfenstein II will sell well for what it is.

The evil within got a sequel for God's sake and that game was kind of panned by critics. So no I don't see your point when it comes to BETHESDA.

Watchdogs was a bad bet, but Ubisoft did well with For Honor, Rainbow Six seige, farcry series, ghost recon that they can afford to make cool projects like Mario rabbids kingdom battle. And that pirate game.

Chris1

Are you talking about prey when you mention Bethesda? One game not selling well. Out of Wolfenstein, DOOM, Elder scrolls online, Dishonored which hasn't done super great but not terrible.

The evil within got a sequel for God's sake and that game was kind of panned by critics. So no I don't see your point when it comes to BETHESDA.

Watchdogs was a bad bet, but Ubisoft did well with For Honor, Rainbow Six seige, farcry series, ghost recon that they can afford to make cool projects like Mario rabbids kingdom battle. And that pirate game.
Dishonoured 2 aswell probably

Bethesda's a different beast, their games started flopping in sales ever since they didn't allow reviews thus no pre release hype. Maybe that's a coincidence but before the no review nonsense their games sold quite well. So that's what I put it down to anyways and MS doesn't have that problem

And there will be a Watch Dogs 3 and a Titanfall 3 so I don't really see where Blake is going with that either lol, those franchises will get at least 3 games. None of MS new AAA IP even got a single sequel.

Ubisoft is easily the best publisher this gen by a wide margin when it comes to new IP

shingi70

Banned

Weren't the sales for Doom tepid upon release. Despite critical acclaim the sales didn't really jump until the demo and discounts started happening. It's pretty much par for course for most Bethesda games that aren't Fallout or elder scrolls.

Why is that the case though? I don't think we can throw it under the "well, it is AAA" umbrella and call it a day. There have been several AAA successes as well.

blakep267

doom didn't bomb or anything but the critical praise overshadows the not stellar sales. It did well on PC but i don't think the console sales were fantastic. Dishonored 2 was average. Prey bombed and I don't have high hopes for either Wolfenstein 2 or Evil within. We'll see but I think they're gonna get destroyed this fall by Assassins creed and Mordor.

Why is that the case though? I don't think we can throw it under the "well, it is AAA" umbrella and call it a day. There have been several AAA successes as well.
Im not saying there aren't AAA successes this gen. I'm saying that a lot of games aren't getting that success and especially MS AAA efforts not the holy trinity.

wapplew

Good strategy. Why make one game with when you can make 5-10 games with same budget.
More games mean more chance to get next Minecraft or PUBG.

Top Bottom