• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

Zukkoyaki

I love new AAA IP as much as the next guy but I can't really blame Microsoft for wanting to focus on smaller releases to fill out their line-up. Ori, Recore and Killer Instinct combined probably cost less than something like Horizon.

Zedox

I love new AAA IP as much as the next guy but I can't really blame Microsoft for wanting to focus on smaller releases to fill out their line-up. Ori, Recore and Killer Instinct combined probably cost less than something like Horizon.

And I love all three of those games. :)

I don't mind AA games as long as they are good and have potential to become AAA, which I believe all three of those games can and will be.

Yes you're proving my point

Its a strange one.

Lionhead = Fable Legends, never released.
Press Play - Sam & Max, Kalimba released / new game in development after a very public showing
Twisted Pixel - Lococycle released, new game never announced
Team Dakota - Project Spark released

Most of them didnt even get the chance to bomb.....

And the only aquisition has been Mojang.

Until this gets addressed there is always going to be negativity and rumblings around MS and their first party output and strategy.

shingi70

Banned
Its a strange one.

Press Play - Sam & Max, Kalimba released / new game in development after a very public showing

Until this gets addressed there is always going to be negativity and rumblings around MS and their first party output and strategy.

The weird thing is Press Play became a new studio who's first game is going to be an Xbox timed exclusives. At some level the studio could have stayed first party and made that game.

Not sure how expensive it would have been but Project Dakota and Lionhead seem like they could have been salvaged as studios.

Its a strange one.

Fable legends would have bombed , ms had no way of monetizing the project to the point of ROI. Not only was the game expensive, it was arguably awful to play
Project spark bombed "studio" was broken apart
Pressplay/ twisted pixel is better off being contract studios. Zero point of having indie studios be consistent employee overhead.

blakep267

The weird thing is Press Play became a new studio who's first game is going to be an Xbox timed exclusives. At some level the studio could have stayed first party and made that game.

Not sure how expensive it would have been but Project Dakota and Lionhead seem like they could have been salvaged as studios.
Both the dwarves game( Deep Rock Galactic) and the battle royals game( The Darwin Project) were 2 of the 3 pitches from press play and they are both gonna be timed games

I wonder if we ever see the nuts and bolts inspired game

PressPlay turned into 2-3 studios, from what I can tell.

Both the dwarves game( Deep Rock Galactic) and the battle royals game( The Darwin Project) were 2 of the 3 pitches from press play and they are both gonna be timed games

We have, though I can't remember the new name.

Zukkoyaki

That's such a low-key bizarre situation. I'd love to know the full story of their closure and subsequent partnering with Microsoft anyway.

blakep267

That's such a low-key bizarre situation. I'd love to know the full story of their closure and subsequent partnering with Microsoft anyway.
Aside from rare, MS closed most of their European studios.

As for partnering I mean they had a relationship with the company and MS let them keep the IP's. Plus getting the games through ID@xbox probably wasn't super hard and they had been developing with the architecture for years

Granjinha

Trailmakers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-c09USdvO4

PressPlay turned into 2-3 studios, from what I can tell.

Not really, no. Just one studio, AFAIK.

https://www.flashbulbgames.com/

I googled the game. It's called Pioneer

That's the old name.

eerik9000

Thats AOE 2 HD the game in my list is a remake of 2 that was announced to be in development at Gamescom, both AOE2 and AOE3 will be getting the same treatment as AOE 1. The reason I gave it lower sales is due to the AOE 2 HD already being purchased so much.

Age of Empires is not getting a remake, it's getting a "definitive edition" which so far looks exactly the same treatment Age of Empire II got for HD Edition.

JlNX

Age of Empires is not getting a remake, it's getting a "definitive edition" which so far looks exactly the same treatment Age of Empire II got for HD Edition.

They specified that the same team Forgotten Empires is doing the same full treatment that they have done to AOE1 to AOE2 and AOE3. AOE2 HD uses the same assets as AOE2, AOE1 has remade assets including a ton of QoL improvements as well as the redone score and gameplay improvements.

Are you really trying to tell me that this is anyway similar to AOE2 HD were all they did was increase the resolution and added steam functionality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3rDhoWcVgQ

Your right that remake isn't the right word to describe it even though the definition of remake is to make something again with some form of improvement, which the AOE definitive edition falls under. More of a really good remaster with QoL and gameplay improvements.

Lom1lo

yeah sure lol, did you even look how aoe definitive looks before you posted shit like this

sam12

So basically-
- continue Forza, Halo and Gears with future emphasis on games like Sea of Thieves
- AA on smaller budget like Ori or Recore
- third party partnerships with exclusives, hoping for Ninja Gaiden lol

I am fine with this as this means more smaller gems like Ori. MS clearly does not do big story driven games,and it's for the best as they could come out with a few smaller budget story driven games. I'd take quality and quantity here rather than just one new AAA

blakep267

So basically-
- continue Forza, Halo and Gears with future emphasis on games like Sea of Thieves

I am fine with this as this means more smaller gems like Ori. MS clearly does not do big story driven games,and it's for the best as they could come out with a few smaller budget story driven games. I'd take quality and quantity here rather than just one new AAA
Also don't forget to add, early access PC titles coming to game preview. Conan exiles hit last week or so and PUBG is coming later this year with black desert early 2018

Zukkoyaki

So basically-

So long as the smaller games are released consistently and of stellar quality, I'm okay with it as well. AAA games coming exclusively out of the reliable in-house devs is a bit of a drag but it makes sense business-wise; particularly after their most successful new games this generation coming in the form of smaller games like Ori and Killer Instinct.

sam12

Also don't forget to add, early access PC titles coming to game preview. Conan exiles hit last week or so and PUBG is coming later this year with black desert early 2018

Oh yes, forgot about those. Really looking forward to PUBG(as I am sure everyone else is too) and Black Desert

Can't exactly call it fantastic news because I sure wish MS was like Sony in that they have several very talented and well established studios that really know the hardware and build amazing games.

But I sure wasn't expecting a drastic change like that anytime soon and it sounds like it won't happen at all. It's a shame to be honest but hardly a surprise. I guess from a business standpoint for them it makes sense. Sucks for the gamer that would love to see more singleplayer focused games though and that are similar to a Uncharted, God of war, Horizon etc.

blakep267

Can't exactly call it fantastic news because I sure wish MS was like Sony in that they have several very talented and well established studios that really know the hardware and build amazing games.

But I sure wasn't expecting a drastic change like that anytime soon and it sounds like it won't happen at all. It's a shame to be honest but hardly a surprise. I guess from a business standpoint for them it makes sense. Sucks for the gamer that would love to see more singleplayer focused games though and that are similar to a Uncharted, God of war, Horizon etc.
That gamer likely already is playing on PlayStation though. I mean look at the top 50 most played Xbox games. For SP all you see is Fallout, Skyrim and Dark souls 3. The audience by and large has spoken to what they continue to play. Bethesda RPG's that have heavy mod features and Souls games. And even DS3 has multiplayer now

element

Both the dwarves game( Deep Rock Galactic) and the battle royals game( The Darwin Project) were 2 of the 3 pitches from press play and they are both gonna be timed games.
The Darwin Project is a team in Montreal and not related to Press Play. Which makes it even more confusing that MS had a project that was similar, canned it, only to promote another indie title with the same concept.

UraMallas

But does that mean an end to story-driven Xbox titles like Quantum Break?

"No," Loftis says. "There is a fun YouTube search that I like to do: 'Reactions to people watching the Ori and the Will of The Wisps trailer'. It is a blast watching their reactions and seeing them crying, good crying, over the game. Even the ability to share a reaction to a story, or to share how something made you feel in that moment, that is a viable social mechanic. There will always be a need to tell these stories, like Ori or like Zelda. Zelda is an incredibly social game, and just because you are playing it by yourself, doesn't mean that the entire world isn't sharing your experience.

I know PR people are out there to PR but this bolded section is actually a pretty good take on the single player experience and the current climate of video games. At least it rings very true for me, personally, as a predominantly single player game player. I quite like that quote.

That gamer likely already is playing on PlayStation though. I mean look at the top 50 most played Xbox games. For SP all you see is Fallout, Skyrim and Dark souls 3. The audience by and large has spoken to what they continue to play. Bethesda RPG's that have heavy mod features and Souls games. And even DS3 has multiplayer now

The Souls series has had multiplayer all the way back to Demon's Souls in 2009 though?

Jetboxx

Hayashi and his team would just ruin everything. Team Ninja Dog isn't capable of creating a good ninja game. Valhalla Game Studios is. In this case, Microsoft would even own that IP they would establish!

The gamer can always take their money elsewhere. Best thing to do if unsatisfied, vote with the wallet.

Jetboxx

I wish Microsoft was like itself in its first generation or like in the first half of the previous generation.

Hayashi and his team would just ruin everything. Team Ninja Dog isn't capable of creating a good ninja game. Valhalla Game Studios is. In this case, Microsoft would even own that IP they would establish!

Itagaki is that you? Or are you his nephew or son? Possibly a niece or daughter?

Oh, I forgot I updated this as per Gamescom-announcements:

DIdF1oaWAAAeTig.jpg:large

Says everything really. This is the first generation since PS1 where a PlayStation platform is my most used system. I was mainly Xbox since the OG but this generation has been Microsoft's worst imo, so disappointed in them.

sirronoh

Thanks for updating this

There's nothing inherently wrong with the 2017 announcements. The main issue for Microsoft as a platform holder is the limited appeal of their lineup as it relates to expanding their base. That's been trending this way for years and looks to continue trending that way for the foreseeable future. Still, if they can drive up revenue per user on the pool of people who do buy their games, that'll be good for them.

That's true man but I really don't like it. I favor Xbox as a console in every single way over PS except for the exclusives and that's a big one. If it wasn't for multiplatform games I probably would have had PS as main console now to be honest.

It's just a shame because soon MS releases the Xbox One X, so much potential for absolutely insane looking games and the AAA games we can look forward to are the usual Gears, Halo and Forza. But I'd love to see brand new SP IP being added to that by one of these studios or brand new ones. And don't get me wrong, the smaller budget games like Ori are amazing, there's no denying that.

That's true man but I really don't like it. I favor Xbox as a console in every single way over PS except for the exclusives and that's a big one. If it wasn't for multiplatform games I probably would have had PS as main console now to be honest.

It's just a shame because soon MS releases the Xbox One X, so much potential for absolutely insane looking games and the AAA games we can look forward to are the usual Gears, Halo and Forza. But I'd love to see brand new SP IP being added to that by one of these studios or brand new ones. And don't get me wrong, the smaller budget games like Ori are amazing, there's no denying that.

Same here dude, agreed

I wish Microsoft was like itself in its first generation or like in the first half of the previous generation.

Oh hell yeah. That would be great but seems like nothing but a dream now.

And if we're talking about games like Crimson Skies and Mech Assault, those would be considered AAA, right? Bring us a new one of these along with MP and there you have your GaaS games Microsoft. I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I wouldn't even really call that taking a risk either, it's right up their alley.

And if we're talking about games like Crimson Skies and Mech Assault, those would be considered AAA, right?

Depends on the budget and scope. Those franchises are far removed enough from its original iteration that it's not unfeasible to be revived as either a smaller-scope AA franchise or reimagined as AAA.

Like, you can't bring back games like PGR without it being AAA, since it's a realistic arcade driving game and driving games in that caliber must look the part.

I'm curious to see if they really will go harder on a future with AA games for Xbox One. Because there are many indies and studios with smaller ideas that they could work with to bump up creative, innovative games on their platform.

Plus the idea of using the 100M you would've spent on one AAA game to fund 5-20 smaller games is infinitely more attractive to me, depending on the output. Who knows, maybe this will lead to a better variety of games on Xbox One, similar to how the original Xbox was stronger than PS2 and had a pretty diverse line-up of more niche, original IPs.

We'll see, this turnaround should say a lot about the Xbox division (and Microsoft's) ability to execute fully on a plan. They don't have any real hindrances any more, at least from an internal perspective (beyond greater scrutiny on expenditures in light of failed projects this generation). The have a new, sleek, consumer-friendly hardware line between the Xbox One X and the Xbox One S. And the Xbox Live ecosystem is arguably better than it has ever been. They just need to make the platform attractive again, to a wider audience.

Jetboxx

And if we're talking about games like Crimson Skies and Mech Assault, those would be considered AAA, right? Bring us a new one of these along with MP and there you have your GaaS games Microsoft. I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I wouldn't even really call that taking a risk either, it's right up their alley.
Fightings too. Bring us Kakuto Chojin 2, Microsoft!

Widge

Took a while for Sony to get to that status. And we're glossing over the sheer volume of titles that Sony put out and published that weren't in that top tier. For everyone loving Horizon or Uncharted, there was a smaller voice championing things like Motorstorm PR, Warhawk... it was like an entire generation of effort to get up to where they are now.

Microsoft really needs that mid-tier conveyor belt to start working. It generates belief in the platform and that garners attachment. And, funnily enough, they've had the top tier title dominance for quite some time, so don't have anything to worry about on that front. Yet. They're a bad Halo or Gears Of War away from looking in trouble. Forza will be kind of insulated from that, and Horizon is possible the best in class atm.

Widge

Oh hell yeah. That would be great but seems like nothing but a dream now.

That Microsoft, to me, was one that signed up a few key third party titles (that eventually crossed the divide) plus made a very big deal about stealing "Sony titles", which was pretty much just a result of third party being platform neutral. They'll never capture that again and will have to make their own magic.

Fightings too. Bring us Kakuto Chojin 2, Microsoft!

I'm not a big fighter fan myself but i get you. Also....why is MS missing out on a lot of Japanese fighting games? I mean...JRPG's not selling much....sadly...but ok,but fighters?

Took a while for Sony to get to that status. And we're glossing over the sheer volume of titles that Sony put out and published that weren't in that top tier. For everyone loving Horizon or Uncharted, there was a smaller voice championing things like Motorstorm PR, Warhawk... it was like an entire generation of effort to get up to where they are now.

Microsoft really needs that mid-tier conveyor belt to start working. It generates belief in the platform and that garners attachment. And, funnily enough, they've had the top tier title dominance for quite some time, so don't have anything to worry about on that front. Yet. They're a bad Halo or Gears Of War away from looking in trouble. Forza will be kind of insulated from that, and Horizon is possible the best in class atm.

That is true. If the preorders for the One X are truly that good as they say they may be getting a lot more people in their install base now and hopefully people will become more vocal in that they start to demand more first party games from MS and not only keep playing it safe. For example, why not let Armature make another game, give them the time they need too and who knows...something really worthwhile may come from it.

Maybe partner with a third party like Insomniac again or another one and have them make an exclusive for Xbox One and One X. Of course for all that to happen MS will undoubtedly want to know if there'll be any profit in it. I guess time will tell, but i hope we will see that happen eventually.

That Microsoft, to me, was one that signed up a few key third party titles (that eventually crossed the divide) plus made a very big deal about stealing "Sony titles", which was pretty much just a result of third party being platform neutral. They'll never capture that again and will have to make their own magic.

Agreed. But can Gears of War, Halo and Forza Motorsport and Horizon be called magic anymore? I'm saying this as a huge Xbox fan but i am growing a little tired of these games. I don't want them to stop making these games, but taking a break is never a bad thing, take some risks. After Gears 5 just take a break from it, or perhaps try a different genre in that universe? Sony may have closed down several studios too and shut down several projects but they still have some very talented studios under them doing amazing things with the hardware, it seems they also have more freedom too. Freedom is good. It wouldn't hurt if MS took something from Sony's book, if i'm wording that right.

This discussion has been on here for so long now..we're becoming broken records, lol.

Playing Recore DE just shows MS could have superb 'AA' games on their roster if they choose to believe in them. The game is still not quite what it should have been, but I adore it, which is rare atm given I am 98% an MP-only guy these days. A sequel given the time would be amaaaaaazing.

Top Bottom