• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to have new exclusive IP at E3, focus more on first party titles

With the recent talk of MS attempting to lock down ME4 as an exclusive, it'll be interesting to see whether Microsoft has more first party content to work with, or whether there will just be less exclusive third party content than they've had in the past due to the install base difference.

pixelation

I can already sense we're going to come out of E3 with the 'PS4 has no games' narrative as strong as ever. As in previous years, I expect Microsoft to show everything that it possibly can, while I reckon Sony will maybe have one big first-party title, and will place the rest of its emphasis on the dozens of third-party games its promoting.

The difference is that Sony will, likely, announce more stuff at Gamescom and PlayStation Experience - but I doubt that'll stop the 'Sony's getting complacent threads' from blundering ahead.

I hope you're dead wrong... *cringes*

BigPark's last game was JetRide Turbo in 2012, as far as I know they're doing interactive TV stuff and apps on XB1.

Soho and Lift were mereged into one studio, I think the last thing they worked on was Upload Studio on XB1.

Dakota just launched Project Spark, so they'll be very early on new IP.

You're honestly asking for proof as to why E3 is more of a major gaming event than Gamescom?

Yes europe is not small and there are big announcements there including price drops. US is not the world. I think you are underestimating Gamescom.

Either way, e3 is overrated, the more interesting announcements are at gamescom usually I find.

Boke1879

With the recent talk of MS attempting to lock down ME4 as an exclusive, it'll be interesting to see whether Microsoft has more first party content to work with, or whether there will just be less exclusive third party content than they've had in the past due to the install base difference.

Where has this talk been? I can see them getting marketing but making it exclusive again. I don't know if EA will do that.

You're honestly asking for proof as to why E3 is more of a major gaming event than Gamescom?

Gamescom:

Gamescom is the world's largest gaming event, (measured by exhibition space and number of visitors) with 335,000 visitors, more than 6,000 journalists and 700 exhibitors from 88 countries attending the show in its sixth year.[6][7]

E3:

About 48,900 people attended this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles to see the latest computer and video game hardware and software from 200 exhibitors, the Entertainment Software Association announced today.

pixelation

Always cringed when I saw COD headlining MS conference and then when Destiny was at sonys for like a year.

Oh yeah, that sucked major ass... i mean people already know those are coming out, quite a few titles got shunned out of the spotlight just to waste precious conference time on games that really don't need all that extra exposition.

Where has this talk been? I can see them getting marketing but making it exclusive again. I don't know if EA will do that.

EA didn't spend all those millions of dollars buying Bioware, making it multiplatform in the first place only to go exclusive again.

More chance of Phil turning up on-stage in a tutu and dancing to gangnam style.

I swear if they announce a new Battletoads and nothing new with Banjo Kazooie I'm just going to get rid of my Xbox One, outside of the prank calls no one really cares about a new Battletoads but I and many others have been begging for a new Banjo Kazooie since Tooie and no that crap Nuts and Bolts doesn't count, its a BK game in name only, should have just been a Lego game since thats 90% of what you do in it >.>

In all seriousness though I'm dying for a new 3D platformer, and a real 3D platformer not like Mario 3D World (its a great game but its just the 2D Mario format in 3D levels, I want real big levels to explore ala 64 and Sunshine) I don't care if its Banjo, Mario, or someone new I just want to explore huge open levels with fun colorful characters and fun stuff to collect.

2D Platformers have been around like crazy but 3D ones are few and far between, hell I look at something like Knack and just wonder why the hell was it a beat em up instead of a platformer? The game screamed 3D platformer in its graphics, character design, art style, I actually thought it looked good until I saw the beat em up combat and quickly threw it to the wayside, we have enough 3D action/beat em up games GIVE ME PLATFORMERS!

Word from kagari and some others was that MS wanted to do it but EA said no because of the install base differential. It's becoming harder and harder for MS to afford large third party deals.

hatchx

Banned
If they show gameplay footage for Crackdown, Scalebound, Phantom Dust....and basically all of the games they only showed as CG trailers last year, that'd be great.

My guess is new IP is Rare's.

Microsoft is going to have a good e3. Although please, I'm so goddamn tired of CG trailers for games that are 18+ months off. Thank you.

I swear if they announce a new Battletoads and nothing new with Banjo Kazooie I'm just going to get rid of my Xbox One, outside of the prank calls no one really cares about a new Battletoads but I and many others have been begging for a new Banjo Kazooie since Tooie and no that crap Nuts and Bolts doesn't count, its a BK game in name only, should have just been a Lego game since thats 90% of what you do in it >.>

Rare released a AAA game last April, its only been a year and its their 30th Anniversary so I think they might be doing something with that. They could show a new Banjo, but its very obvious they have a AAA and smaller game(s?) in production, just because a new Banjo is not at E3 doesn't mean it won't be at Gamescom or another event sooner or later.

Its much quicker to develop a game of the scope I suspect Battletoads will be than it will be to develop their next AAA game, unless of course you want them to rush it out.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Tomb Raider is a third party deal.

There is a difference between marketing deal vs getting it exclusive for who knows how long. You really think COD and Division deal fall in same category as TR deal?

You're forgetting the part where E3 isn't open to the public. E3 is absolutely bigger than Gamescom, that's when media around the world actually pays attention.

Its not. Gamescom has 700 exhibitors while E3 has 200.

How is that not bigger then E3, are these conventions not about the games?

Word from kagari and some others was that MS wanted to do it but EA said no because of the install base differential. It's becoming harder and harder for MS to afford large third party deals.
Wow, they shook huh?

Hopefully we'll get proper fable 4

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
They made 8 games for the 360.
2 were Kinect games.

they weren't making kinect game the start of the 360 cycle were they

everything since Nuts & Bolts in '08 has had the word "Kinect" in the title though. That's what Rare became.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Its not. Gamescom has 700 exhibitors while E3 has 200.

How is that not bigger then E3, are these conventions not about the games?

Again this means little to nothing.

Of course Gamescom has more exhibitors as it's a public event.

A lot of E3 is behind closed doors and which doesn't count towards exhibitors.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
They don't pay attention to gamescom?? Sorry that's BS....there is no measure anyone can prove e3 is bigger.
E3 comes two months before Gamescom. It's the first of the big historical three gaming conferences of the year.
(Of course in recent years the original PAX increased in prominence while TGS decreased, at least for the console gaming market.)

Builds for games created for E3 are often not modified and also showcased at Gamescom.

This isn't proof that E3 is better, I don't know how one would go about that, but E3 is more important than Gamescom from a marketing and press perspective.

Again this means little to nothing.

Of course Gamescom has more exhibitors as it's a public event.

A lot of E3 is behind closed doors and which doesn't count towards exhibitors.

So explain how e3 is bigger? Media attention is as big for gamescom....maybe you're too US focused.....

You're forgetting the part where E3 isn't open to the public. E3 is absolutely bigger than Gamescom, that's when media around the world actually pays attention.

Why do you think I used the word "major", amount of attendee's mean little when E3 is a much more exclusive event.

To repeat.

E3 is still topdog since it seems to get the lionshare of major announcements, although that trickled off a bit into individual events.

Exhibition space and total number of exhibitors don't matter to any of you?

Sure, English-language media outlets may pay more attention to E3, but don't conflate that with E3 being the bigger show.

Top Bottom