• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to have new exclusive IP at E3, focus more on first party titles

Boke1879

So the switch between Sony and MS compared to last gen is complete. This is exactly what Sony did when they lost the leadership position with the PS3. Get whatever third party deals you can, but spend the lion share of your investment dollars building your first party offerings.

Yet Sony still has their first party output. If Phil is right then yes MS pretty HAS to do this. build up your first party production.

abadguy

Banned
The most important question of them all: really exclusive or timed? It does say first-party, but you never know. I hope see something from Rare other than Kinect related stuff. Besides the Banjo-Kazooie series (hype over the roof for Threeie, hype non-existent for N&B2), I really think they have potential gold with Perfect Dark. It can be Microsoft's Deus Ex like franchise, though sans the augmentations and stuff. How did PDZero disappoint so much?

Every time i look at that Deus Ex trailer i think of Perfect Dark. After what KLobb said on the Tic podcast it may be a while before we see it but they are at least talking about it.

So the switch between Sony and MS compared to last gen is complete. This is exactly what Sony did when they lost the leadership position with the PS3. Get whatever third party deals you can, but spend the lion share of your investment dollars building your first party offerings.

Ms can make games in months? What is shown at e3 is planned well in advance..years even. Sony's studio sexist and have not gone anywhere.

The God

I don't understand this. Sony didn't stop making first party games. They just now have the advantage of 3rd parties being on their side.

abadguy

Banned
Im so giddy for Scalebound.

It'll be insane to see what Platinum Games can accomplish with the Xbones hardware, especially after what they've done with Bayonetta 1/2 and MGR on last gen spec hardware.

Also the fact that MS is funding is never a bad thing, they have da monies.

I have complete faith in Kamiya.

Be interesting seeing them work with UE4 for the first time too.

So does focusing on 1st party basically mean focusing on announced games? Because none of their internal studios except for Rare are in a position to announce anything.

Turn 10: Forza 6
Lionhead: Fable Legends
343: Halo 5
Black Tusk: Gears

Those are their only AAA capable studios and they're all occupied and single teamed. So basically Rare announcement and some small stuff like Twisted Pixel? Or are they using their broad sense of the term.

Circinus

Phil bringing in the hype ^.^

Sounds like they're going all out this year. So that means we'll see games from most of their studios. It might mean they're going to show some games that are pretty far away though.

I hope sony does not waste time on multiplatform games now they have a commanding lead.

Of course they will. Expect to see Star Wars Battlefront gameplay at PlayStation E3 media briefing in particular. Maybe Metal Gear Solid V as well. Maybe Mad Max as well. Probably an Arkham Knight trailer as well; might be the launh trailer.

As long as the 3rd party content is exciting and is something that wasn't shown before, I don't see what the problem is.

Since I generally like Sony Computer Entertainment's first-party output I definitely would prefer focus on their own first-party content though. Usually that's the case, but at last year's E3 not really.

In terms of first party content you can definitely expect Ratchet & Clank gameplay. :)

Kinda doubt they're in any position to show anything new. Ori just came out.

Let me dream. I'd actaully prefer to see what they have up their sleeve over a lot of the other stuff mentioned here. And if you check out the ori ot the dev did say they have 5 prototypes in the oven. It doesn't have to been a blown out thing but a taste of what they have would get me pretty excited. Absolutely loved Ori.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Those are their only AAA capable studios and they're all occupied and single teamed. So basically Rare announcement and some small stuff like Twisted Pixel?
A new non-Ryse, non-Crysis game created by Crytek for example would qualify.

He didn't say games made by first party studios, he said first-party.

Exclusive new IP is what MS definitely needs to do!

Enough losing exclusives, etc.

This is great news.

not sure what exclusives they lost. if your talking about Titanfall, RYSE and Dead Rising then those were never owned by MS and it was easy to predict they would move to other platforms. rentals is the word I would use.

Sounds good. I hope it's a big-budget AAA retail title. I'm tired of "Here's a brand new series" reveals that turn out to be some $20 downloadable title.

LE SIGH!

How about hoping for an exciting IP, no matter how much it costs to produce? Ori And The Blind Forest is a beautiful title that does not pertain to the AAA category people salivate about...and thank God for that!

AmuroChan

Phantom dust got moved to a different dev, it's still happening.

I'm less excited about it now that I know what kind of budget they were going to give the game. They wouldn't give the dev an extra $2m to finish the game. How much is the new dev going to get?

I'm not going to lie as a PS4 only gamer (literally only have a PS4 and Macbook) a new Gears, TR and Halo are going to make me very tempted to pick up a XB1. If I didn't have so little time for gaming right now I'd jump in for sure.

That popped up last year too and in the end it was just that. A rumour.

This year its even worse since no one who might actually know is even hinting at COD marketing changing. Its just people spinning their wheels trying to think of stuff

Plus Sony has the big retail Destiny Expansion and Battlefront. They are not going to open the check book to market another 3rd party FPS even if it is COD
According to both insiders — who seemed to hear about this independently — they didn't need to; it's simply down to the difference in installed base.

XBox isn't a powerhouse anymore; they're struggling to remain relevant. Bethesda didn't even see a point in doing a retail release for the Bone version of The Old Blood in the EU.

VinFTW

not sure what exclusives they lost. if your talking about Titanfall, RYSE and Dead Rising then those were never owned by MS and it was easy to predict they would move to other platforms. rentals is the word I would use.

Dont focus so much on the semantics, its more of a perception thing.

Yoday

That's what Sony has always done, it has nothing to do with their market position. Their first party output on the PS1 and PS2 was absolutely amazing. That said, they have also always had a pretty slow start as well.

Anyway, It's been great to see MS putting more effort into their first party lineup. I was expecting their XB1 output to be comparable to what they did on the X360, and I'm glad to see that isn't the case. I look forward to seeing the first party output of both companies at E3 this year. This is sure to be one of the best E3's in years now that most developers will be coming to terms with the hardware, finishing up long development cycles, and ditching the ten year old hardware at long last.

Capella

I'm not really interested in most of Microsoft's current IP so I'm excited to see what their new one will be.

You're in luck
lZcTZqV.png
Good. I hope we see less CG trailers at all of the conferences this year.

Have they ever done this before when they didn't have marketing? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqmd7jVaEWM
I know Xbox did the same video too but still... Something is happeningggg!!!
Maybe.

I don't think Sony usually puts up Call of Duty trailers and I always assumed that was due to the marketing deal with Microsoft. Looking at their youtube page, the only Call of Duty videos I can see is the Season Pass video for AW from 3 weeks ago and the Black Ops III teaser. I'm not sure that's really evidence of Sony having the marketing deal though.

Mr Moose

Ms can make games in months? What is shown at e3 is planned well in advance..years even. Sony's studio sexist and have not gone anywhere.

Hehehe.

I don't think Sony usually puts up Call of Duty trailers and I always assumed that was due to the marketing deal with Microsoft. Looking at their youtube page, the only Call of Duty videos I can see is the Season Pass video for AW from 3 weeks ago and the Black Ops III teaser. I'm not sure that's really evidence of Sony having the marketing deal though.

Yeah, it's just a rumour.

Bessy67

I wonder if it's too early to see something from Undead Lab's next game. I know State of Decay YOSE is just about to come out but maybe they'll show something at E3 for a spring 2016 release...

kpaadet

LE SIGH!

How about hoping for an exciting IP, no matter how much it costs to produce? Ori And The Blind Forest is a beautiful title that does not pertain to the AAA category people salivate about...and thank God for that!
I can't get excited for a game until I know the development budget, >$50 mil or I might aswell consider it a cheap mobile game....

I'm actually really looking forward to what they have to show. Phil Spencer inherited a really tough situation but he's definitely done his bit to turn things around. There was a time in the early days of the Xbox 360 when it was the console with the best new IPs and the most interesting first/second party. It would be awesome if they went back to that instead of their usual e3 show which is generally 3rd party marketing agreements disguised as "exclusivity" and a bunch of promising looking CGI trailers that end up as nothing. They should focus on their new exclusives and not waste time on big multiplats that everybody knows will come to the PS4 anyway. If Sony wants to waste time in their already bloated presentations for Assassins Creed and Call Of Duty, let them. a focused 45 minute show with gameplay demos of new internal games would buy them a lot of credibility.

AmuroChan

So does focusing on 1st party basically mean focusing on announced games? Because none of their internal studios except for Rare are in a position to announce anything.

Those are their only AAA capable studios and they're all occupied and single teamed. So basically Rare announcement and some small stuff like Twisted Pixel? Or are they using their broad sense of the term.

Since he didn't specifically say 1st party developed, he could mean MS published, externally developed. Scalebound, for example, is a 1st party game. It's just not a 1st party developed game.

According to both insiders — who seemed to hear about this independently — they didn't need to; it's simply down to the difference in installed base.

XBox isn't a powerhouse anymore; they're struggling to remain relevant. Bethesda didn't even see a point in doing a retail release for the Bone version of The Old Blood in the EU.
Yup. But they're not struggling for sure.

And that The Old Blood thing kinda sucks for them.

Wait what? Since when do Sony first party studios stop making games?

gaming_noob

Exactly what they should be doing. 3rd parties are looking to Sony for marketing deals because they're killing it. Multi platform games will always be inferior on the bone. Best bet ia to make unique first party games.

rrc1594

Before Kinect was dropped and Phil Spencer came on board. I had heard that Rare were planning some kind of pirate themed Nintendoland like game.

It seems that plans have changed because Rare is now working on something else. Something that GAF will actually give a shit about.

I don't want to spoil the surprise because Phil Spencer is a cool guy.

... it's not Banjo but it is an old IP.

Yeah, but they're also evidence that Rare is working on a big game and a smaller title

Those are their only AAA capable studios and they're all occupied and single teamed. So basically Rare announcement and some small stuff like Twisted Pixel?

"None of their internal studios except for Rare are in a position to announce anything"

Press Play have several original IPs in development
Twisted Pixel have a new IP in development
Rare seem to be working on multiple projects, a AAA and some small stuff
Lionhead have a new IP coming and last year at E3 the studio head said we might see it in the next year
We don't know what Decisive Games are doing or how big they are but given Kudo so recently name dropped them I think its reasonable to think we will find out more about them soon
Quantum Break and Scalebound are AAA new first party titles regardless of whether they own the developers, Microsoft own the IPs
Undead Labs are just releasing SoD YOSE and presumably have been working on a sequel for a while

It seems like an incredible oversight to suggest/think that Microsoft have said they are going to focus their E3 conference on first party titles then proceed to announce a Rare game and show off 4 games already announced.

Im sure Gigantic will show up as well, some new partnerships will be announced. We obviously won't get all of the above at E3 (for the unannounced stuff) but MS wouldn't be focusing more on first party at the conference if they had nothing to show.

wapplew

They could have secret 2nd team within a studio. Maybe 343 have something cooking along Halo, maybe Lionhead have another main game ( fable legends sound like a side project)
Also I remember Spencer catogarize outsourced title as first party, so it could be any studio.

I think that's a little bit unfair.

Sony haven't exactly been resting on it. Their output has actually been fairly consistent, it's just been a few delays that make it look weird, meaning the holiday 2014 and 2015 currently lack a "killer" game but Sony have published a fair number of titles for PS4 starting at launch with Killzone moving onto to the likes of inFamous and Driveclub, their cross gen offerings like LBP3 and The Show before getting to this last few months and The Order and Bloodborne. You may not like theses games or care, but their releases have, at least, been covering a pretty wide range of genres and tastes.

Microsoft have to double down on first party, because third parties aren't going to play ball this gen with them. This isn't a bad thing. It's just a bit weird to imply Sony are coasting on third parties.

AmuroChan

Of course they will. Expect to see Star Wars Battlefront gameplay at PlayStation E3 media briefing in particular. Maybe Metal Gear Solid V as well. Maybe Mad Max as well. Probably an Arkham Knight trailer as well; might be the launh trailer.

As long as the 3rd party content is exciting and is something that wasn't shown before, I don't see what the problem is.

Since I generally like Sony Computer Entertainment's first-party output I definitely would prefer focus on their own first-party content though. Usually that's the case, but at last year's E3 not really.

In terms of first party content you can definitely expect Ratchet & Clank gameplay. :)

I wouldn't expect a ton of 1st party content at Sony's E3 conference. They tend to spread their announcements across multiple conferences - E3, Gamescom, TGS, and now PSX. Whereas MS goes all out at E3 and then Gamescom to a lesser degree.

Castef

Banned

Err... there are LOTS of 1st party Microsoft Studios.

Are you aware of EVERYTHINH they are working on in order to male such assumption?

I mean, Team Dakota is working on a new IP. LIFT London is working on something.

We know nothing about Press Play's, Big Park's or Soho Production's new projects.

I think there is plenty of room for developing new unannounced games.

FordGTGuy

Banned
In the US they are trying to remain competitve but worldwide it's a wash.

Saying that Xbox is struggling to remain relevant as a general statement is incredibly silly. Also saying that Sony doesn't need a marketing deal for CoD to market them is also silly.

blakep267

I wonder if it's too early to see something from Undead Lab's next game. I know State of Decay YOSE is just about to come out but maybe they'll show something at E3 for a spring 2016 release...
It shouldn't be. They signed the multi game deal back on January 14. So while o doubt anything would come this year, late next yeast shouldn't be too farfetched. Assuming it's. Zombie mmo using the same assets form SoD

Top Bottom