• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft unifying PC/XB1 platforms, Phil implies Xbox moving to incremental upgrades

brau

Good stuff.

The more games that come to PC the better in the long run. Then i can keep updating my library of games without having to worry about a console. So far, so good.

ViolentP

Urg I really don't want the Apple model coming to consoles.

It works in the mobile market. It won't work in the console market. We may have to live through a failure or two, but I'm confident the concept will die. Unless consoles go modular in the future essentially changing the entire business model, I won''t worry.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Well is it happening or not?

Polygon says he hints at it but Guardian downright confirms it.

Nictel

Didn't Sony suggest something similar? Both probably are looking at the Apple model. Where there is backwards compatibility to an extend but apps run better on newer versions.

For Microsoft it helps them around the future naming issue. Xbox Two? Xbox newto? Xbox 2020?

GopherD

I wonder what developers and publisher will think about this. Targetting multiple configs will complicate matters and increase dev costs.
And you've answered your own question. Add to that three major third party developers will not cannibalise their own content delivery systems.

Fisty

Seeing how that second paragraph isnt in quotes, im going to assume its the author drawing the dumbest conclusion possible from what Phil said. I mean hes pretty clearly talking about Xbone games on PC, right?

leeh

For this to work, they have to create their next console in a modular format, similar to swapping out a new HDD or the new phones recently.

Without plug and play hardware parts, you'd have to be buying complete boxes at a cost rather than a smaller charge for a module to upgrade your current box. That's the only way I can see this working, it's baffling.

Algebrah

Great news. Now I am debating if I should trade in my Xbox One since I have a good PC and the main reason I play my Xbox these days are Forza and Killer Instinct.

Isn't this the exact opposite reason people buy consoles? I buy a machine in 2013 and know that it will play everything for the next 7 years, no headaches.

I think this is the key thing.

If you imagine a hardware refresh every two years, then as long as MS can give a commitment that games will be compatible and work going back 3 iterations (6 years) then I'm happy.

This is like Skylanders but with more expensive things for your shelf. That will be an additional $400 for a stable framerate. Lots of disappointed kids when they find the game mommy bought doesn't work in their system.

for all those complaining: this is what everyone's going to do

Zombie James said:
Considering how price-conscious the console market is, I don't see how anyone can think yearly $400 consoles is a good idea.

that's not how it works. whatever the model on the shelf is whatever's going to be sold
if you've already bought one, you can still use it just fine.

RavenH2

As long as I can keep playing my old games I already payed for, and play the newer games in decent conditions, without having to hastle with configs (meaning a guaranted performance in every device of the same model), I'm ok with this.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Been increasingly likely for some time now that the next xbox would probably be a windows PC in a console box. Like a steam box. Refreshed every so often. I don't think MS wants to juggle two game platforms any more.

Oynox

If we are lucky this might be the last console generation...or at least the next to last.

Besides of Nintendo I mean, who will continue their job, I guess.

brau

People here may be excited about the news, but won't this just encourage the entire casual market to head over to PlayStation?

How so?

I don't own an xbone... and i have less of an incentive to get one now. BUT! all games that are coming from MS first line party will be coming to PC. Allowing me to enjoy them as well.

Its a win win.

Banned
Sweet. I'm ready.

Nintendo might be going this route to with the NX. Faster hardware refreshes with the same OS and architectures.

I think this is the key thing.

If you imagine a hardware refresh every two years, then as long as MS can give a commitment that games will be compatible and work going back 3 iterations (6 years) then I'm happy.

Well, except that might mean going back 3 iterations is fine, doesn't guarantee going forwards is fine, so after 2 years half the games coming out might not work on the model you have.

That sounds like a dreadful situation to me. My personal take is that they're going to rubber stamp Xbox PCs, like Valve do with the Steam Machines.

emb

Seems like this would kinda defeat the point of a console?

I don't like it, but I have to say I am curious where this goes.

They should seriously give that a shot. I never understood why every console maker keeps following this cycle Nintendo introduced back in the day. They need to break free from it, if it can work for phones and other devices, why not consoles? Just keep the config in mind for the past 3 or so years and keep building on it.

It's exactly what Nintendo themselves did wrong during the Wii era imo, we saw the widespread adoption of HD TVs, the Wii was losing steam, looking quite outdated and they could have easily reinvigorated demand had they come with a Wii HD with improved motion controls, like 3 years into it's lifespan.

hodgy100

For this to work, they have to create their next console in a modular format, similar to swapping out a new HDD or the new phones recently.

Without plug and play hardware parts, you'd have to be buying complete boxes at a cost rather than a smaller charge for a module to upgrade your current box. That's the only way I can see this working, it's baffling.

No they don't software layers handle all that Bios, Kernel, OS then API's on top of that. jsut like it is now.
Microsoft taps out.

not really. homogeneous hardware is the next step

SerTapTap

The New3DS (and...every other attempt at this) would seem to indicate this probably won't work out all that well, but I strongly support the implicit complete backwards compatibility this would result in.

IMO consoles absolutely need to keep 100% BC starting with the current gen (or next gen for Nintendo) now that hardware has pretty much stabilized.

Am I missing how this is remotely like any announced or reasonable speculation regarding the NX?

Top Bottom