• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 |OT| The Blue Bomba

JackelZXA

I think the base controls feel terrible. r1 as the dash just feels shitty, the dash feels better if you throw it on l1. This is my control config.:

ClipH2MUsAANcKy.jpg

Also the tutorial doesn't tell you how to do the backjump thing, it helps out on boss fights and lets you do cool stuff ("backjumping" in the direction you're running feels cool)

Ray was a pretty fun boss and way better than the intro tank, but her gameplay is really unbalanced and you can just cheese through stages and bosses by exploiting her cancels. (I bet ray being a girl is because people always thought zero looked like a girl when they first saw him)

Teknoman

I kinda wish it didnt have tutorial messages, and just made you read the manual...but with e-manuals being the thing these days...guess that would make it harder than necessary.

Zomba13

So in the Jim Sterling video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqGrhkF0AXQ) he gets this multicoloured Mighty weapon where he can place a block and it fires (like a turret). How does he do that? He says he presses Y but when I do that nothing happened (but when I beat the first robot master it switches me to that power). Is it a secret pickup or something?

amdb00mer

I'm a backer and i'm enjoying the game. I think a lot of people forgot how frustrating the Mega Man games were. You wanted a spiritual successor, well, you got one. Some sections will make you drop f-bombs until you figure out how to get past them. I've actually held off finishing the last two levels. I have been going back trying to get a better rating on the earlier levels. Also i'm trying to get all the Mighty Fine achievements on the bosses. The only real issue I see is how short the game is.

MrBadger

Okay, I'm actually considering buying this now despite everything I've said about it (I know I'm the problem), since I finished Robobot and it'll be nice to have a new sidescroller. And well, this is better than nothing.

Question for people in this thread - is the Wii U version really that bad? Or are the complaints hyperbolic? Frame drops I can handle but does it really have 30 second load times when you die?

MrHoot

I wanna know if the "It's better than nothing" is actually what he said or was it indeed a mistranslation. Cuz there's so much bullshit and derailed criticism from actual criticism since the inception of this project (we'll remember the "Dina Disaster" pushed by GGers) that I just wanna make sure this isn't another one of these

moerser

so, serious question, is the game enjoyable? is it good as a sidescroller? i mean, framerate dips aside (ps4), €29,- for a retail game with a vita code inside and the ray dlc isnt much and i like those games per se.

Zomba13

I wanna know if the "It's better than nothing" is actually what he said or was it indeed a mistranslation. Cuz there's so much bullshit and derailed criticism from actual criticism since the inception of this project (we'll remember the "Dina Disaster" pushed by GGers) that I just wanna make sure this isn't another one of these

Pretty sure it wasn't a direct quote from Inafune but the translator/PR guy that was hosting the twitch stream.

Someone had ripped the games sound files, including the chiptune soundtrack, and I've been listening to it this past half-hour. It's pretty good.

Manami Matsumae did some tracks on this right?

Probably about the only thing I'm looking forward to when I give this a play on the weekend.

MrBadger

It was Judd who said it was better than nothing. I suppose the quote just got associated with Inafune because he's the face of Mighty No 9 and he was present when it was said.

vid

Stayed up all night playing through the game and testing weaknesses and beating my head against the final boss way too long.

I can't remember the last time a game kept me up until daybreak. With some exceptions
turbine room crouch dash nonsense, the part in No. 4's stage where you hang on a moving platform, and most of Call's stage
I had a great time from beginning to end. I can't wait to see some high level play emerge.

fernoca

Question for people in this thread - is the Wii U version really that bad? Or are the complaints hyperbolic? Frame drops I can handle but does it really have 30 second load times when you die?
Yeah. And to go to the main game options too.
That aside it's "fine". Was expecting a total dusaster and while the game's far from great, is still enjotable.

@MUWANdo

Banned
It was Judd who said it was better than nothing. I suppose the quote just got associated with Inafune because he's the face of Mighty No 9 and he was present when it was said.

People thought Inafune said it because Judd made that comment immediately after interpreting a comment from Inafune with no indication that they were separate comments. Judd does that a lot and a lot of people don't pick up on it, nor would you expect them to if they can't parse Japanese.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
I think the base controls feel terrible. r1 as the dash just feels shitty, the dash feels better if you throw it on l1. This is my control config.:

ClipH2MUsAANcKy.jpg

Also the tutorial doesn't tell you how to do the backjump thing, it helps out on boss fights and lets you do cool stuff ("backjumping" in the direction you're running feels cool)

Ray was a pretty fun boss and way better than the intro tank, but her gameplay is really unbalanced and you can just cheese through stages and bosses by exploiting her cancels. (I bet ray being a girl is because people always thought zero looked like a girl when they first saw him)

Back jumping?

RM8

So guys, if I enjoyed the beta build, I'm probably going to get some enjoyment from this, right? It just doesn't seem like an aggressively terrible game to me :/ I wish I had opted for the PC version, lol, who knows when I'll be able to play it on 3DS.

Ryker

Four bosses down. Really liking it. It's a nice break from 50-100 hour rpgs. I know it doesn't really push the envelope and falls short in many areas, but I think the controls are tight... I'm really enjoying my time with it,

I'm a backer and i'm enjoying the game. I think a lot of people forgot how frustrating the Mega Man games were. You wanted a spiritual successor, well, you got one. Some sections will make you drop f-bombs until you figure out how to get past them. I've actually held off finishing the last two levels. I have been going back trying to get a better rating on the earlier levels. Also i'm trying to get all the Mighty Fine achievements on the bosses. The only real issue I see is how short the game is.

I need to spend more time with the game, but I feel like the levels drag on a little long. I was going through mighty no. 1's level (the oil field) and I get where they were going with it, with introducing a couple different concepts and then combining them, but when I was getting close to the end (I think?) with the fireballs dropping, the platforms falling, and the smokestacks falling through the level, it felt like overkill, especially for how many of them they did. It reminded me of the last part of bubble man's level where the crabs fall from the waterfall to catch you mid jump and make you fall to your death, but cranked to 11.

I never felt like the mega man levels were terribly difficult, but that the bosses were pretty hard. I don't know about the bosses overall yet, but the levels are a lot harder here, like almost Mega Man 9 hard.

kevm3

So guys, if I enjoyed the beta build, I'm probably going to get some enjoyment from this, right? It just doesn't seem like an aggressively terrible game to me :/ I wish I had opted for the PC version, lol, who knows when I'll be able to play it on 3DS.

A lot of this backlash seems like hyperbole, especially because the graphics aren't especially impressive. If you find the game fun, just enjoy it for what it is.

Oneself

so, serious question, is the game enjoyable? is it good as a sidescroller? i mean, framerate dips aside (ps4), €29,- for a retail game with a vita code inside and the ray dlc isnt much and i like those games per se.
Get it. It's fun. Take the download code in the box and trade/sell/give the disc if you don't like it.
I sure like it a lot despite it looking like a Vita HD remaster. It gives me a "PSP Megaman remakes" kind of vibe I missed.

Berordn

So reviews were too harsh?

With the amount of technical issues and how bland the level design is in general, I'd say most reviews were probably fair.

The game has moments where it's fun, but they're the exception I feel. It's definitely a low tier MM game.

With the amount of technical issues and how bland the level design is in general, I'd say most reviews were probably fair.

The game has moments where it's fun, but they're the exception I feel. It's definitely a low tier MM game.

I would compare it to MMX6 honestly. Some good ideas but messy execution.
I would say it is probably worse than any MM game.

vaderise

Okay, in my previous post i told that this game is not an unplayable mess.
I changed my mind after a few more levels, it is an unplayable mess. I'm not playing this. I would rather replay old Megaman games over and over again.
For me this is easily the worst game of 2016 so far. And i'm not touching Kickstarter again.

Back jumping?

Under the Tips section in the menu, it's explained under the Action Shift topic. By holding the Action Shift button (right trigger on default) and pressing jump, Beck will jump backwards in the direction opposite the one he's facing with some i-frames. Also if you hold Action Shift + Shoot then Beck will jump backwards but instead of turning around he'll shoot while doing so.

On that same note, I pulled up the backer demo from my external HD to get this information since I was short on time. Strangely enough it started counting my playtime and giving me achievements on Steam despite having yet to boot the actual full game from Steam.

I guess it's not that bad, but it's still pretty bad. The frame rate drops can get pretty severe and there is a very long loading time when you die. It's definitely not 30 seconds. It's closer to 10-15. But that's still really, really bad imo.

I don't think it's a deal breaker as I was able to enjoy the Wii U version. But those two issues are pretty glaring.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

Opinions on this like reviews themselves will differ.
Personally they were too generous. As someone that doesn't view games in a bubble with this whole approach of every game on its own merits*, MN9 just fall extremely short on so many levels.

*(In the sense that I strongly believe that certain games are so good that they even raise the lower bar and if other games can't even make it through that well....)

And the opinions. No-one actually stating what could be better.

ClipH2MUsAANcKy.jpg

You're also invincible when doing the jump

kunonabi

After a download and installation process that took way too long I finally played some it last night.

Honestly I could see where the game could be really fun with the scoring and various dash mechanics but the awful performance, presentation, long load times, and incredible sloppiness that permeates every other aspect of the games design just drags the whole thing down. It was a chore just to beat the prologue and one stage and I just can't find any motivation to play the rest of it. Maybe, if I had nothing else to play and time to burn I could see myself giving it another shot but for now I just don't see any reason to really bother with it. It's a shame because I absolutely see potential in it.

mrmickfran

It's not just difficult because the developers made it that way. It's difficult because it's clear that the game wasn't optimized correctly.

I cannot tell you how many times I had a framerate drop or a frame skip throw me off and send me to my death.

It's fun. I'd say let the whole thing die down and give it a shot through a sale a couple of months from now. If you liked Classic Megaman, you'll probably find something to like here. I know I loved it, but it seems to vary from person to person.

I'm a backer and i'm enjoying the game. I think a lot of people forgot how frustrating the Mega Man games were. You wanted a spiritual successor, well, you got one. Some sections will make you drop f-bombs until you figure out how to get past them.
Backer here as well, and I agree. There are cheap moments, but plenty of those in Megaman as well, and I feel both hit that nice balance. And it does some things differently, but not to the point where it feels mediocre. At least, IMO.

Yes. Absolutely. Probably just a result of the dogpiling, no way this is worse than a high 6.

I think so

Other than coming out waaay too late, the presentation being fairly bland,(those cutscenes... there's no excuse) and the project being clearly a mismanaged cluster, the game itself is solid. Seriously, I'm legit enjoying it.

If this would have came out in late 2014 without all of the delusions if grandeur that Comcept had for it, I think it would have had a much more balanced/reasonable reception.

Dremark

Banned
(Ben Judd chimed in at this point and said that having experience with lots of publishers, he's never met one that was happy w/ the idea of letting developers release single and multiplayer separately).

Obvious lie, the man worked at Capcom for years.

Its a 5/10 video game through and through. Its ugly as sin. Its physics are slippery and unreliable. The powers are bland. The level design is generally terrible. Most of the music goes through one ear and out the other, and thats only when its bad Saturday Morning Cartoon writing/voice acting isnt on top of it.

It does nothing especially well. At best, its merely adequate. Mediocre across the board.

robot

I had a lot of fun playing this last night. Having just played through the first 2 MMX games a few days prior, I'd say it lines up more closely to X and not so much the original Megaman series.

The dash mechanic is really really solid, and probably my favorite thing about the game. It's a great concept even if it's hard to judge when it's time to zip through when moving at high speeds. It's a really satisfying move especially when doing combos. I like the occasional 1 hit death traps sprinkled in a few of the stages, but overall they felt a little on the easy side. The bosses have been giving me some trouble, as they traditionally do without knowledge of their weapon weaknesses.

I also went in and immediately put the VO to Japanese and switched to Retro soundtrack. Unfortunately, the music seems way too low even when messing with the sliders. Based on what I watched beforehand, the US VO was pretty off putting, much like PS1 era MM/MMX games.

Overall from what I've played so far, it's a B- MMX game - maaaaybe a C+?. It's not a bad game by any stretch - just a few questionable decisions and a graphics style that I doesn't do it any favors. The dashing is definitely the highlight and makes for some slick speedrunning through stages. Wondering if a charge shot would've been an improvement. I'm curious what some MMX speedrunners think of it.

I think the reviews were on-point actually. If we look at the 10-point scale, landing a 6/10 isn't a festering pile of burning horseshit like the internet makes it out to be. It's an average game. The problem is these days that any game that falls below a 7 get eviscerated in a dog-pile circle jerk. Multiply this by the general hatred of Inafune and the mishandling of the KS on GAF, and you get the reaction you've seen in other threads. Viewing this game alone, separate from the controversy, it really isn't remarkably bad or good enough warrant close to this much vitriol from the gaming public.

It's an okay game, and I'm having fun with it. There are certainly areas that are frustrating, and visuals that are disappointing, but the people treating this game like it's set the industry back 100 years are the leading example of how easy it is to let hyperbole cloud rational judgement.

Top Bottom