• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft CEO confirms Xbox Live login on Switch, really wants Sony cross-play.

MechDX

This is exactly what people were worried about when ms bought minecraft, that they'd find away to leaverage it when minecraft has been a massive open platform. No leading company in a space is going to bow to a rival over something like this. If it means minecraft players being left behind then that's on ms not Sony.

How are they "leveraging" it for anything? They run the servers the new version runs on and they are not charging anything for non MS platforms to utilize it. Nintendo of all corporations said "sure!"

Its like the past has returned!

wii60-adams.jpg

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Why is bad for ms really no? It isn't a Sony game and I very much doubt a console choice by many would be does this have minecraft crossplay on it.

If you think crossplay is all they're missing out on, then you need to do more research.

Nanashrew

Banned
We don't know the ins and outs of the rocket league situation what if ms was demanding something similar to what they want on minecraft? We don't know either way but ms is hungry for those maus so who knows what demands they had.

Rocket League devs have stated that they have everything ready for when Sony wants to do crossplay with other consoles. All Sony has to do is just say the word and it's activated. Sony has done nothing, said nothing, they don't care or want it.

dLMN8R

This is exactly what people were worried about when ms bought minecraft, that they'd find away to leaverage it when minecraft has been a massive open platform. No leading company in a space is going to bow to a rival over something like this. If it means minecraft players being left behind then that's on ms not Sony.
Minecraft was never and has never been an "open platform" on anything but the Java version.

Still today none of this affects the Java version - you and the tens of millions of other owners are still free to do with the Java version whatever you want to do.

But now all the other versions can play together - something the Java version was never able to do regardless of whether Microsoft owned the property and still can't today.

We don't know the ins and outs of the rocket league situation what if ms was demanding something similar to what they want on minecraft? We don't know either way but ms is hungry for those maus so who knows what demands they had.
Psyonix said it's literally a check box they need to flip. Microsoft has absolutely no say in what Psyonix does or doesn't do with their own game running their own server infrastructure on non Microsoft platforms.

OfficerZap

Neo Member
Seems like a good business decision not to channel your users through the opposition's framework.

Because you know with Azure once it's done once, MS will pay devs to use their servers and Live to dominate.

Raide

Seems like a good business decision not to channel your users through the opposition's framework.

Because you know with Azure once it's done once, MS will pay devs to use their servers and Live to dominate.

I trust the MS infrastructure more than I do Sony's. MS would be paying for everything, sonic things go wrong, it's not a Sony fault. Makes sense to use the best service you know, for the players.

Tumle

Why does that matter so much though? A boosted xbl mau statistic isn't going to suddenly kill Ps4's momentum in sales. Moreover, as a consumer and someone who plays on Ps4, how would this affect the way you play your game?
Trying to find a motive or explaining a motive for someone's behaviour, is not equivalent of defending said motive or behaviour..

bennibop

But then what's the excuse for Rocket League, which does cross platform play without requiring an Xbox Live login unlike Minecraft?

Sure, Minecraft requires an Xbox Live login on Switch, but that's the exception here since Minecraft is owned by Microsoft.

You can't pretend that Sony is against cross platform play because of Minecraft requiring XBL when other games don't have the same design.

PS4 owners already had cross play with PC owner of the game same as FF XIV. So it is purely about opening up to Xbox and Nintendo, as the pack leader I can understand why they don't want to as a business decision, as a consumer its a little disappointing.
To be honest this is more about Microsoft, if they were leading the market they would not want to do this either and its foolish to believe they would. It seems this week they are desperate to tarnish PlayStation and Sonys reputation in an attempt to get people to move over to xb1x.

bennibop

If Microsoft is requesting a Xbox Live login for the new Minecraft update, then it's understandable why Sony might be hesitant to allow this. They clearly don't want to advertise for one of their primary competitors.

The suggestion in your second paragraph might be the best way to address this. Rebrand the login as a "Minecraft account", and remove any onscreen reference to"Xbox" branding. They can still use their existing infrastructure on the back end.

There's another complication here, which goes back to what you mentioned in your first paragraph. If the game allows you to purchase cross-platform downloadable content, then which online marketplace does it go through, and who collects the profits? This can open a whole Pandora's box of problems. Consider the following:

Would purchases be handled through PlayStation Store, or a (possibly rebranded) version of Xbox Live?

If the purchase is made on a PS4 console, then would Sony still see a share of the profits, or does it all go to Microsoft?

If the purchase is transacted elsewhere (e.g. an online Web site, a mobile phone, an Xbox One), and the DLC is used on the PS4, then could this be exploited as a vehicle to circumvent PS Store, and thus cut Sony out of any potential profit-sharing? (Imagine a scenario where Microsoft frequently offers "steep discounts" through email blasts, as long as you agree to buy directly from their online Web site.)

If Sony acquiesces to Microsoft's proposal, then could this blow the doors open for other publishers to request similar treatment? For example, I own Rocket League on both PS4 and Steam on my PC. I bought a few DLC packs for the game through the PS Store, but that DLC doesn't carry over to my game on Steam. Could Psyonix ask Sony to open the doors to cross-platform DLC...and if they did, would Valve get angry if I bought my DLC from Sony instead of going through Steam (or vice versa)? If I get a Switch and its version of the game in the future, could I keep buying DLC for that game through PSN and cut Nintendo out of the picture?

These are questions that may not be very easily answered.

Kudos, well said and makes perfect sense. I think sometimes it is easy to forget that both Sony and Microsoft are companies and are here to make to make money first and foremost.

Planet

Maybe Microsoft could allow OAuth on their side to accommodate?

liveoauth31udl.png

Ubisoft for example allows this on UPlay (at least using a PSN account).

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
If Microsoft is requesting a Xbox Live login for the new Minecraft update, then it's understandable why Sony might be hesitant to allow this. They clearly don't want to advertise for one of their primary competitors.

The suggestion in your second paragraph might be the best way to address this. Rebrand the login as a "Minecraft account", and remove any onscreen reference to"Xbox" branding. They can still use their existing infrastructure on the back end.

There's another complication here, which goes back to what you mentioned in your first paragraph. If the game allows you to purchase cross-platform downloadable content, then which online marketplace does it go through, and who collects the profits? This can open a whole Pandora's box of problems. Consider the following:

Would purchases be handled through PlayStation Store, or a (possibly rebranded) version of Xbox Live?

If the purchase is made on a PS4 console, then would Sony still see a share of the profits, or does it all go to Microsoft?

If the purchase is transacted elsewhere (e.g. an online Web site, a mobile phone, an Xbox One), and the DLC is used on the PS4, then could this be exploited as a vehicle to circumvent PS Store, and thus cut Sony out of any potential profit-sharing? (Imagine a scenario where Microsoft frequently offers "steep discounts" through email blasts, as long as you agree to buy directly from their online Web site.)

If Sony acquiesces to Microsoft's proposal, then could this blow the doors open for other publishers to request similar treatment? For example, I own Rocket League on both PS4 and Steam on my PC. I bought a few DLC packs for the game through the PS Store, but that DLC doesn't carry over to my game on Steam. Could Psyonix ask Sony to open the doors to cross-platform DLC...and if they did, would Valve get angry if I bought my DLC from Sony instead of going through Steam (or vice versa)? If I get a Switch and its version of the game in the future, could I keep buying DLC for that game through PSN and cut Nintendo out of the picture?

This is being blocked for reasons unrelated to the MS login and stores. Rocket League has nothing to do with an XBL login and still Sony won't allow it. The truth is more that they don't want to acknowledge Xbox One in any capacity so long as they can help it, including in name, because of their market position. They aren't worried about lost profits on DLC because all of those cosmetics/etc would be sold on the Sony side just as they are now for every game. You would buy DLC on your console of choice and use it there, viewable to others on other consoles/PCs and possibly censored down to a 'default' variety if it were brand-centric. MS and Nintendo have no problem with this thus far, so Sony should not get an exemption for no viable reason.

We can keep spinning this all day, but trying to justify it for Sony's sake isn't going to change the fact that this does not in any way benefit any consumer but the most hardcore apologists feeling obligated to demonstrate their corporate loyalty the only way they know how.

It seems this week they are desperate to tarnish PlayStation and Sonys reputation in an attempt to get people to move over to xb1x.

Oh my god read what you're suggesting good lord. Yes, Microsoft finally gave the go-ahead to a feature fans have wanted and that Sony was previously more progressive on..... all just to make Sony look bad. Yup, those evil geniuses.

Sony refusing is E.N.T.I.R.E.L.Y. on themselves. Would (and did) Microsoft do the same as market leaders? Sure, and they'd be the bad guys. Now Sony is choosing to reverse course and become the bad guy, they should know better and we should all be disappointed with them.

sangreal

PS4 owners already had cross play with PC owner of the game same as FF XIV. So it is purely about opening up to Xbox and Nintendo, as the pack leader I can understand why they don't want to as a business decision, as a consumer its a little disappointing.
To be honest this is more about Microsoft, if they were leading the market they would not want to do this either and its foolish to believe they would. It seems this week they are desperate to tarnish PlayStation and Sonys reputation in an attempt to get people to move over to xb1x.

Except, you know, Microsoft is doing exactly that by allowing the Switch access to the Xbox player base which dwarfs any Nintendo online community

This is being blocked for reasons unrelated to the MS login and stores. Rocket League has nothing to do with an XBL login and still Sony won't allow it.

Fallacy here is the belief that each game can't have its own separate reason to be rejected for cross play.

They are very different games with very different situations surrounding cross play (install base, ownership, content control, etc). If you think putting Xbox live or at least Windows live branding on PS4 isn't at least one of the concerns for Minecraft cross play, you are crazy.

That being said, no Rocket League cross play is a shitty thing to do. But everyone saw this coming with Minecraft when Microsoft bought it, regardless of whose fault it is.

Some of the points you raised were already solved on the mobile versions of the game.

Nor Apple nor Google allows the game to use their own payment methods for DLC, if the user buys the DLC they have to buy from their store, they get their cut, and Ms simply ties that purchase to their MS account so it can be unlocked on other devices.

As you can imagine Apple at first was against restoring DLC purchases on other platforms on iOS, so at least up until the better together version (I can't find a definite answer if they finally allowed it), all the mods you purchased from the in game store on other platforms would have to be repurchased if you want to use them on iOS.

So Sony wanting cross DLC would be no impediment to get cross play, as Ms already made that concession on another platform that wouldn't allow purchases made on other platforms restoring on theirs.

Sony explicitly blocked cross play, not because of DLCs or anything like that, because as I said, there were precedent for not having cross DLC and still have cross play

You buy Minecraft Coins with real money, and Microsoft has shared a number of provisional US price points - $1.99 for 300 coins, $4.99 for 840 coins and $9.99 for 1,720 coins. Of each actual content purchase, the first 30 per cent of the proceeds goes to the store, while the "lion's share" - more than 50 per cent - goes to the creator. You'll need an Xbox Live account to buy coins, which go into an online wallet and can be spent across any Bedrock Edition of the game - the exception to this being the iOS version of the Pocket Edition, which stores those purchases separately.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-10-microsoft-reveals-minecraft-store-with-virtual-currency

Edit: And the above isn't even about actual DLC available on the store, it's purchasable with in game app and the DLC on the native store fronts are just the micro transactions to get the in-game currency (In other words this would be the equivalent of your purchasing a kindle book on other device and not being able to read their book on the iOS version of the app, something that apple TOS allows, but they still made a concession and made it work on iOS)

Trying to find a motive or explaining a motive for someone's behaviour, is not equivalent of defending said motive or behaviour..
i'm not interested in a motive for (in this case) a company's behavior. an explanation for it won't change my mind and hasn't changed the minds of everyone else who wants it either. there's another thread with phil spencer's response.

Oersted

Kudos, well said and makes perfect sense. I think sometimes it is easy to forget that both Sony and Microsoft are companies and are here to make to make money first and foremost.

Everyone argues Sony is being greedy. Literally noone forgot except some Sony fans maybe.

Oersted

"arrogant Sony is back" a sentiment I haven't seen so much since the $599 Ps3 was referenced.

I don't think it is really arrogance and I consider the meme tired. However, it is probably true, they are being greedy. That is not an excuse, it is an explanation, despite many Sony fans apparently thinking otherwise. And you know, I'm totally fine with someone being okay greediness showing that way. Buying a console is about weighing pros and cons. If the pros outweight the cons for you, have fun.

Just stop attacking people who want the cons changed or voice the cons are stupid.

In particular in a thread ahout the cons. But maybe thats just me.

I don't think it is really arrogance and I consider the meme tired. However, it is probably true, they are being greedy. That is not an excuse, it is an explanation, despite many Sony fans apparently thinking otherwise. And you know, I'm totally fine with someone being okay greediness showing that way. Buying a console is about weighing pros and cons. If the pros outweight the cons for you, have fun.
It's a "meme" that's been in the thread throughout. if you're tired of it then you shouldn't visit threads like these. And saying them being greedy is pretty the same as saying they're being arrogant. I don't know what you mean about pros and cons.

Just stop attacking people who want the cons changed or voice the cons are stupid. In particular in a thread ahout the cons. But maybe thats just me.
If someone initiates a conflict I'm not going to back down from it.

flkraven

lol I almost threw up from spinning so much.

MS is updating Minecraft, unifying the game on all platforms (Switch, Xbox, Android, IOS, PC) which allows all copies to get updates simultaneously, share DLC so you only have to buy it once, give infinite worlds, crossplay on all platforms, 1000+ player servers etc etc. The update is free for all owners of the existing game. Playstation is the only platform not on board.

And for some reason people should be upset with MS not Sony about being 'left behind'?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I'm just going to have to agree to disagree. I wouldn't want to create an XBOX Live account personally and I don't think it's that simple at all. I think it's been made to appear to be made that simple to pressure Sony into doing it. Whether I am right or wrong, no idea. To be honest nobody is qualified to say unless they're working for Microsoft or Sony and were a part of that dialogue but this whole situation is just become another big social media event in my humble opinion.

I hope you never need a single Microsoft product again...because otherwise I have some bad news for you...

I think the argument boils down to a couple of misconceptions

1) Xbox Live Login = if we could get the title updated to "Microsoft Account" login, that would be more accurate. This is the same login you use if you have hotmail, or Windows 10 registered, or Office, or whatnot. Most of the time it automatically logs you in, so people don't notice / remember it.

2) Given the opportunity to not create Minecraft content for Sony products (Telltale Minecraft game and Minecraft for the Vita? I think), Microsoft has done so anyway? Why? Because they make way the fuck more money by selling their game on more consoles than the amount of customers who would not get one of those systems and instead get a Microsoft device instead. Most folks have a device already that can play Minecraft.

3) Minecraft today is the equivalent of Mario in its heyday. Sony (as in the entire company) is worth 40 billion (which is less than 50% of Microsoft's offshore cash fund IIRC). Minecraft itself is worth 2.5 billion. That's how freaking big Minecraft is. Sony is basically telling the single biggest game of the millennium to go take a hike. That's insane.

Oersted

It's a "meme" that's been in the thread throughout. if you're tired of it then you shouldn't visit threads like these. And saying them being greedy is pretty the same as saying they're being arrogant. I don't know what you mean about pros and cons.

If someone initiates a conflict I'm not going to back down from it.

I don't mind the meme that much that I feel the need to look away. Sorry for causing confusion. I think there is a difference between arrogance and greed, but I don't care enough to make it the topic of this thread. Both of us think it is a bad look for Sony anyway. People have currently, when it comes to consoles, the choice between 5 pieces of hardware. When you buy the most powerful console you will miss out on PlayStation and Nintendo exclusives, when you buy the portable plattform you will miss out on many thirdparty titles etc etc Pros and cons. Disadvantages and advantages.

Sony's halfassed cross play support is a con, a disadvantage.

DQX will have cross-play with Switch, Wii and Wii U, so Nintendo clearly isn't a problem.

I don't mind the meme that much that I feel the need to look away. Sorry for causing confusion. I think there is a difference between arrogance and greed, but I don't care enough to make it the topic of this thread. Both of us think it is a bad look for Sony anyway. People have currently, when it comes to consoles, the choice between 5 pieces of hardware. When you buy the most powerful console you will miss out on PlayStation and Nintendo exclusives, when you buy the portable plattform you will miss out on many thirdparty titles etc etc Pros and cons. Disadvantages and advantages.

Sony's halfassed cross play support is a con, a disadvantage.

it indeed is a disadvantage. I was explaining to Marty Chinn in another thread though that a gaming experience is not defined just by an online experience. I play a lot of single player games and have very much enjoyed the investment ive made in my Ps4 this gen. but now that I know Sony's stance on cross play and their unwillingness to collaborate with competition, I might not buy playstation going forward. they have the rest of this generation to change their mind.

Here is how this works.

My brother is a PC gamer, I am mainly a console gamer.

I love playing games with my brother, but the majority of games are not crossplatform.

If Microsoft starts allowing crossplatform at least between PC and X1, and Sony starts denying it, that would increase the X1 appeal to people like me! (I own a PS4 Pro).

It could make me start considering buying a X1 for the 3rd party MP games that support crossplatform with the PC.

For now neither Rocket League or Minecraft worry me.

But who knows...

Here is how this works.

My brother is a PC gamer, I am mainly a console gamer.

I love playing games with my brother, but the majority of games are not crossplatform.

If Microsoft starts allowing crossplatform at least between PC and X1, and Sony starts denying it, that would increase the X1 appeal to people like me! (I own a PS4 Pro).

It could make me start considering buying a X1 for the 3rd party MP games that support crossplatform with the PC.

For now neither Rocket League or Minecraft worry me.

But who knows...
exactly this. although, in a few cases sony does allow cross play between Ps4 and PC.

Trup1aya

It's still a massive open platform.

You just have to log in to use crossplay.... how is that 'scary'

How else could the platform track your purchases? Your friends lists?

the only reason I was worried when mS bought mojang was because I thought the playstation versions would be gimped and wouldn't receive anymore support.

FX-GMC

Stop right there. MS has nothing to do with RL's situation.

They're trying to make it as easy on players and the platform holders as possible. ”We run all the servers," Dunham stated. ”The way that it works is we connect everyone through our own system, we handle everything ourselves." So far Microsoft had the highest and ”most complex" requirements for security, so meeting those barriers made it easier to deal with the requirements of the other platforms. The hard work has been done.
-Jeremy Dunham, VP of publishing at Psyonix
https://www.polygon.com/e3/2017/6/13/15795376/rocket-league-cross-platform-playstation-4

MUnited83

For you.

We actually absolutely know. Now, they didn't demand shit. Rocket League devs already said that the only thing they need is permission from Sony and they will have cross-play up in one hour.

levyjl1988

Banned
Ha that's smart of Microsoft. So when kids get an Xbox One they can be like, "Hey I already have a microsoft/xbox account" and seamlessly migrate to it.

Nintendo has no problem as most users who own a Nintendo console also owns either an Xbox or PS system. Others have multiple accounts. I can see why Sony was reluctant, but at the same time their counter argument was weak especially when Nintendo allowed it. Nintendo realizes their online infastructure is not good enough to compare against Microsoft. Makes sense for the lack of cloud services.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
Fallacy here is the belief that each game can't have its own separate reason to be rejected for cross play.

They are very different games with very different situations surrounding cross play (install base, ownership, content control, etc). If you think putting Xbox live or at least Windows live branding on PS4 isn't at least one of the concerns for Minecraft cross play, you are crazy.

That being said, no Rocket League cross play is a shitty thing to do.But everyone saw this coming with Minecraft when Microsoft bought it, regardless of whose fault it is.

Fallacy here is that you're dismissing the obvious notion that Sony is doing this to protect their lead and has no interest in what gives their customers the best value. Sony has a consistent logic that apologists do not want to recognize because it seems insecure for a giant they do not feel can be felled: Sony is protecting their own lead in the console wars, not the children. There's nothing at all wrong with this and there's nothing at all wrong with acknowledging this is easiest to reconcile instead of jumping through numerous hoops to make Sony come out of this looking like saints.

We all see that Rocket League and Minecraft are different situations, yet both were outright rejected. Nowhere is Sony saying this is ever going to happen because, again, they do not want it to. The extra value for customers does not mean anything to Sony right now because we've all already bought into the platform. What incentive do they have to give us this if they feel it could in any way bolster the competition that many have already written off as of the start of the generation?

TheYanger

Fallacy here is that you're dismissing the obvious notion that Sony is doing this to protect their lead and has no interest in what gives their customers the best value. Sony has a consistent logic that apologists do not want to recognize because it seems insecure for a giant they do not feel can be felled: Sony is protecting their own lead in the console wars, not the children. There's nothing at all wrong with this and there's nothing at all wrong with acknowledging this is easiest to reconcile instead of jumping through numerous hoops to make Sony come out of this looking like saints.

We all see that Rocket League and Minecraft are different situations, yet both were outright rejected. Nowhere is Sony saying this is ever going to happen because, again, they do not want it to. The extra value for customers does not mean anything to Sony right now because we've all already bought into the platform. What incentive do they have to give us this if they feel it could in any way bolster the competition that many have already written off as of the start of the generation?

The incentive is to keep the goodwill of their customers so they remain customers, hence threads like this/twitter campaigns/etc being important.

It is worse for them to have you buy a PS4 and only play exclusives, while buying cross-play games elsewhere, than it is for you to just buy a ps4 and buy all of your games there because you know you're not getting the short end of the stick.

Sony isn't going to lose potential sales by allowing cross play though.

autoduelist

How are they "leveraging" it for anything? They run the servers the new version runs on and they are not charging anything for non MS platforms to utilize it. Nintendo of all corporations said "sure!"

Well, I mean, they're clearly leveraging it since every PS4 minecraft player would convert into a xbox play account. That's leveraging it. Nintendo wouldn't care about that nearly as much, since they've always been a bit separate from the competition between Sony and MS.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Well, I mean, they're clearly leveraging it since every PS4 minecraft player would convert into a xbox play account. That's leveraging it. Nintendo wouldn't care about that nearly as much, since they've always been a bit separate from the competition between Sony and MS.

Most PS4 minecraft players have a microsoft account...they probably use office, windows, skype, linkedin, hotmail, or a given microsoft product or service that goes online. An "Xbox Play" account is simply a microsoft account.

FyreWulff

Sony makes Windows computers, clearly they're just leveraging Microsoft's product for more account registrations

as pointed out before, if you've been on the internet for maybe 5 years you more than likely have a Microsoft Account somewhere, either via one of their sites or an acquisition.

Do you need XBL Gold to play Minecraft online with a Xbox console?

Or is the free Silver account good enough?

My son plays Minecraft on his iPad with an XBL account, but it's a not a paid subscription. It's just a throwaway Silver account he made up just for the sake on playing on servers.

My son plays Minecraft on his iPad with an XBL account, but it's a not a paid subscription. It's just a throwaway Silver account he made up just for the sake on playing on servers.
on xbox you probably need gold but for all non-xbox platforms I think you just need silver

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I don't play minecraft, but this thread has kind of convinced me to get it, just to encourage cross play. As a fighting game fan, I really want this to become standard.

And my kids will probably enjoy it.

VeeP

Free accounts/silver will be fine. Will be same on mobile, PC, and Switch.

Top Bottom