• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft PS4 Edition same as the Xbox 360 Edition

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Real talk though, splitscreen has been a huge bonding thing for parents and their kids. That's one big reason why it has taken the fuck off in popularity on consoles despite not being as full featured as the PC ver.

Come on, guys. A limitation stemming from a lack of memory won't continue on platforms that have 16× the amount. Surely, they're referring to the controls and featureset.

bebop242

Bout time with some news with this. Not really surprised at the news, I just hope they keep expanding the PS4 version in line with the x1. If the vita is the same then thats huge in my opinion.

ghostmind

I don't see anywhere in the 4J tweets that addresses world size. This is the only thing that was stated:

"The underlying game code will be the same version across all consoles, so at least Xbox 360's TU13 equivalent."

Everything else is just assumption at this point.

Krakn3Dfx

Real talk though, splitscreen has been a huge bonding thing for parents and their kids. That's one big reason why it has taken the fuck off in popularity on consoles despite not being as full featured as the PC ver.

I've run a Minecraft server on the PC for almost 2 years that me, my son, and roughly 30 friends/relatives play on. It's definitely a party type of game, we set up a voice chat server and 1 or 2 nights a week there are usually around 20 of us on for a few hours building and talking and occasionally griefing each other, lol.

This is obvious and what I've assumed since they announced it. Hence PS4 version of Minecraft is releasing along with the PS Vita and PS3 version, while the next Gen version for Xbox One isn't launch, since they actually need to make a new version. PS4 will be updated after the Xbox One version is made, most likely.

PS4 probably doesn't have enough RAM to run the next Gen version, while Xbox One does. Xbox One has 8GBS AND 32 MBs. That's 8,224 MBs of RAM while the PS4 only has 8GBs of RAM. That's only 8,192 MBs of RAM.

8,224 MBs > 8,192 MBs. No wonder the Xbox One version is unlimited worlds and new and improved. Xbox One has more RAM. Those 32 MBs of RAM matter.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I've run a Minecraft server on the PC for almost 2 years that me, my son, and roughly 30 friends/relatives play on. It's definitely a party type of game, we set up a voice chat server and 1 or 2 nights a week there are usually around 20 of us on for a few hours building and talking and occasionally griefing each other, lol.

Pretty good stuff. Some people don't have that technical know-how and can string along with splitscreen. Or I guess if your children are REALLY young and can't get around computers too well.

It's really the LEGO of the digital age.

Krakn3Dfx

It's be pretty awesome is the PS4/Vita versions were cross-play compatible. I haven't really considered buying Minecraft on a console, but that might push me over the edge.

Caayn

Unless they're stopping work on the 360 version(which I don't think they will), I don't see whats misleading about it.
The title implies that the only the PS4 version is identical to the Xbox 360 version. While the tweet from 4J studios says that all versions (PS4, X1) will be content wise similar to atleast the Xbox 360 TU 13 version.

LtOrange

Come on, guys. A limitation stemming from a lack of memory won't continue on platforms that have 16× the amount. Surely, they're referring to the controls and featureset.
That would make a lot more sense. I really would like a clarification on that. I am all in if it has the same feature set but unlimited worlds.

Chobel

This is obvious and what I've assumed since they announced it. Hence PS4 version of Minecraft is releasing along with the PS Vita and PS3 version, while the next Gen version for Xbox One isn't launch, since they actually need to make a new version.

PS4 probably doesn't have enough RAM to run the next Gen version, while Xbox One does. Xbox One has 8GBS AND 32 MBs. That's 8,224 MBs of RAM while the PS4 only has 8GBs of RAM. That's only 8,192 MBs of RAM.

8,224 MBs > 8,192. No wonder the Xbox One version is unlimited worlds and new and improved. Xbox One has more RAM. Those 32 MBs of RAM matter.

05d.jpg

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Aww, bummer. I was hoping for a more comprehensive version.

Seanspeed

Banned
The title implies that the only the PS4 version is identical to the Xbox 360 version. While the tweet from 4J studios says that all versions (PS4, X1) will be content wise similar to the Xbox 360 TU 13 version.
Ok, I gotcha. Still wouldn't say its misleading, cuz its entirely true, but there is more news to share than just that.

Frolow

Banned
And no one used the words "console launch exclusive" more than Sony did during their Gamescom conference. Let's not pretend Microsoft is the only one doing it.

Another one Sony used was "console exclusive DLC." Bugged the hell out of me.

Krakn3Dfx

This is obvious and what I've assumed since they announced it. Hence PS4 version of Minecraft is releasing along with the PS Vita and PS3 version, while the next Gen version for Xbox One isn't launch, since they actually need to make a new version. PS4 will be updated after the Xbox One version is made, most likely.

8,224 MBs > 8,192 MBs. No wonder the Xbox One version is unlimited worlds and new and improved. Xbox One has more RAM. Those 32 MBs of RAM matter.

It's good to get an expert in here to explain these kinds of things. Thank you, sir.
exit-stage-left-o.gif

KaiserBecks

Kind of a downer considering the Xbox One will get a "new" version, but I'm actually more interested in playing it on Vita anyway.

Persona7

Banned
So 4J is working on this...I thought Microsoft had contracted them for the 360 version. I wonder how this deal was worked out.

Sounds like a quick port to make it out for launch, the X1 version isn't ready yet so perhaps PS4 could get that version down the line.

What where people expecting? Did you really think that the next gen consoles were getting the pc version of minecraft oh lord :lol

ahahahahahaahahahaahahahahahahahah

Useless. Not buying then.
Especially not on the Vita (which is the one I wanted).

Seriously, no effort going on in these ports...

Ocelott

Post of the Year!!! I am dying

So I can play Minecraft wherever?

Cool

Realize it won't be as good as the PC version though

Been playing skyblock lately actually

KaiserBecks

it won't - they'll all share the same code base.

I thought it was already confirmed that the Xbox One version would have certain benefits (larger worlds etc)? I don't care anyway since I can have the "full experience" on my PC. I'm kinda worried about the Vita version now though.

mollipen

As others have said, I'm pretty certain they're talking in terms of which version of Minecraft we're getting, not the size/limit of the world. Minecraft version number is an important detail, as every update brings with it major changes to what is included in the world and what is possible to build.

World size is probably little more than setting a variable in regards to how much world to generate.

If Xbox One version is the same as the other versions, then why isn't Minecraft a launch title for Xbox One?

WTF 4J studios?

it won't - they'll all share the same code base.

Minecraft Xbox One isn't some quickfire port with cosmetic alterations, Microsoft Studios boss Phil Spencer has told OXM - the game's mostly undivulged enhancements add up to something very distinct from Xbox 360 version, putting cross-platform features like save transfers in jeopardy.

here yah goes people
"No, it's a new product on Xbox One," Spencer rebutted, when we asked whether you could roll over save files from the existing console version. "We're actually updating it in pretty significant ways for the new platform. Bigger worlds, which don't translate between the Xbox 360 and the Xbox One."
http://www.oxm.co.uk/56395/minecraft-xbox-one-is-a-brand-new-experience-says-microsofts-spencer/

Cat Party

It's a great version even if it's not up to par with the PC version in a lot of ways. Disappointing in terms of world size, I suppose.

Fatbody

Maybe the XBO version will use Microsoft's cloud services so that you can run your game world on a dedicated server. That would be a good selling point over the other (non-PC) versions.

btkadams

so, the ps4/vita/360 versions will be the same, with the xbox one version being best? i'm pretty disappointed, since i was planning on getting this at the ps4 launch.

Bazooka

Banned
Xbox one version has clouds.

Now I freely admit that I am a Xbox fan boy but this had me laughing.

Also I think they meant that it would have the same layout for GUI and all the same "Features" but it will have a large world just like the Xbox one. I could not imagine them limiting the game down to the 360 scale.

mollipen

It's a great version even if it's not up to par with the PC version in a lot of ways. Disappointing in terms of world size, I suppose.

"Disappointing" is putting it lightly. I think it's an okay time waster for kids or casual players, but for anybody serious about the game it's a mere shell of what you're actually supposed to be experiencing.

Top Bottom