• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minnesota man who killed teens in break-in charged with murder

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.startribune.com/local/180853761.html

Really sad/strange story from a small town in Minnesota. Apparently the break ins were over prescription medication. Kind of similar to the VCR theft thread. Both parties making egregious errors of judgement..

A 64-year-old man was charged Monday with murdering two teenagers who broke into his home on the outskirts of Little Falls, Minn., shooting each of them at close range in the head after he had already wounded them.
Byron David Smith was charged in Morrison County District Court with two counts of second-degree murder without premeditation in the killings of Nicholas Brady, 17, and his cousin Haile Kifer, 18.

The criminal complaint says that Smith shot the two as they came down his basement stairs several minutes apart on Thanksgiving Day. The complaint adds that he shot them numerous times.

He then waited a day before asking a neighbor to alert authorities, the document added. Smith showed investigators the bodies, was arrested and has remained jailed since.

Smith appeared for a 10-minute court hearing late Monday morning wearing an orange jumpsuit, his hands and feet in shackles. Bail was set at $2 million.

In asking for the high bail figure, County Attorney Brian Middendorf said the incident was a case of cold-blooded murder. "The circumstances are appalling and far beyond any self-defense claim," he said.

Defense attorney Gregory Larson declined to comment after the hearing, saying he wanted more time to study the case.

About a dozen family members of the teens attended the hearing.

According to the complaint, Smith told investigators:

He heard glass breaking around noon Thursday while he was in the basement. It was the latest of several break-ins that he's experienced. Brady started coming down the stairs, and Smith shot him with a rifle by the time he saw the intruder's hips.

Brady fell down the stairs and was looking up at Smith when the homeowner shot him in the face.

"I want him dead," Smith explained to the investigator for the additional shot.

Smith put Brady's body on a tarp and dragged him to an office workshop.

A few minutes later, Smith heard footsteps above him. As in Brady's case, Kifer too started down the stairs and was shot by Smith by the time he saw her hips, sending her tumbling down the stairs.

Smith attempted to shoot her again, but his rifle jammed, prompting Kifer to laugh.

Upset, Smith, pulled out a revolver he had on him and shot her "more times than I needed to" in the chest, he said.

Smith dragged Kifer next to Brady as she gasped for her life. He pressed the revolver's barrel under her chin and pulled the trigger in what he described as a "good, clean finishing shot" that was meant to end her suffering.

Smith acknowledged leaving the bodies in his home overnight before calling a neighbor to ask about a lawyer and to request that authorities be notified.

Tessa Ruth, an aunt of Brady, was at the hearing and said she wished Smith had fired a warning shot or called police instead of shooting. "It wasn't right for them to be there and, yes, he had a right to defend himself. But to execute them like that..."

Earlier article....

On the outskirts of Little Falls, Minn., Crystal Shaeffel walked down the long driveway on Sunday, past the "keep out" sign, to see the house where her teenage brother and her cousin were shot to death on Thanksgiving Day.

She was met in the driveway by the brother of Byron David Smith, the man who is in the Morrison County Jail on suspicion of second-degree murder after telling deputies he shot the pair when they broke into his house, where he lived alone. He is to make his first court appearance on Monday.

The bodies of Nicholas Brady, 17, and his cousin Haile Kifer, 18, both of Little Falls, were discovered on Friday when authorities began investigating a missing-persons report and after a car parked down the road from Smith's home prompted a neighbor to report suspicions that something was wrong.

"They were 17 and 18 years old, and they didn't need to die," Shaeffel told Bruce Smith as she stood in the driveway, tears flowing down her face.

"That all depends on your perspective," he told her.

A series of break-ins had made Byron Smith, a 64-year-old retired U.S. State Department worker, frustrated and fearful, his brother said Sunday.

In the rear of the house, which sits on the bank of the Mississippi River, surrounded by tall pines and birches, is a shattered bedroom window, now boarded over. It was where, Bruce Smith said, the teens used a lead pipe to break the glass, crawl in, walk down a hallway and go downstairs, surprising Byron Smith as he tinkered in his basement workshop over the lunch hour.

Byron Smith never called 911 but let the bodies lay in his home for just more than 24 hours while the teens' families tried to find them. Bruce Smith said his brother was distraught and didn't know what to do.

"Put yourself in his shoes after you shoot two people in your basement. How are you going to react?" he said during an interview at the house.

The brother said this was the latest of eight burglaries within the last few years, with the most recent on Oct. 27, when about $10,000 worth of guns, electronic gear and cash were stolen after thieves broke out a panel in a lower-level door. He said not all the burglaries were reported but that the one last month was reported to the Morrison County Sheriff's Office.

Loved ones of the two teens, as well as authorities, say the shootings went beyond self-defense. Neighbors described Byron Smith as a loner who liked to shoot his guns often, intimidating and worrying nearby residents.

Shaeffel said investigators told her that Brady had been shot in the shoulder and head, and that then Kifer was shot.

She said her brother made good money working for their father's tree-trimming business and didn't have to resort to burglary.

She said that Kifer had been in treatment more than once for abuse of controlled substances, and speculated that her cousin might have been after pills. Kifer had recently returned to school and had been trying to straighten out her life, Shaeffel said, adding that Kifer had stolen Adderall pills from Shaeffel's home.

"Yes, she had an addiction problem and stuff, but that doesn't mean she deserves to get murdered at 18 years old," Shaeffel said. "I understand they came there to rob them, or whatever, but shoot them in the shoulder and call the cops."

Shaeffel, 27, lives near the Smith house and went there Sunday with her close friend, Tiffany Kostohryz.

"I just wanted to see," Shaeffel said, looking toward the garage. The red-brick house with peeling paint is tucked out of view from the road.

Smith's neighbor Lori Williams said she had complained to authorities about the frequent shooting on Smith's property, worrying that children playing outside could be hurt. But deputies had told her and her husband that nothing could be done because his property was outside city limits, the couple said.

They described Smith as an odd man who kept to himself. "He didn't say 'boo,'" Scott Williams said.

Bruce Smith said his brother, who never married, had traveled the world as a federal employee, working mostly desk jobs and managing as many as 50 people at a time.

"He was a security officer for the State Department over the past two decades and was responsible for plans and specifications of State Department buildings worldwide," Bruce Smith said.

He said his brother was upset on Thursday evening when he called him in Baltimore, where Bruce Smith was with his daughter for the holiday.

"I need you up here now," Bruce Smith said his brother told him.

When he arrived on Saturday afternoon, sheriff's deputies and the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension were there, and his brother, whom he described as a highly intelligent man, was behind bars.

Bruce Smith said he believes his brother fired in self defense.

On Sunday niht, a vigil

Sunday evening, about 200 mourners braved cold temperatures and a biting wind for a vigil at Little Falls High School. They released balloons, tried to keep candles burning, and listened as Nick Brady's older sister, Rachel Brady, told of using social media to ask others whether they had seen the two cousins.

"They were just really great people," said Rachel Stauffer, 15. "They could make anyone laugh."

Others spoke of Nick Brady's perpetual smile and how he loved to tell them to "turn a frown upside down."

Carlee Davich of Little Falls, who coached Kifer in swimming as assistant coach two years ago for the Little Falls High School team, described Kifer's upbeat, infectious personality.

"She was always happy. She had a way that just made everyone happy. A lot of the swimmers and divers looked up to her," Davich said.

Emma Schmidt, a senior at Little Falls High School who had known Kifer since middle school, said she was talented and that both were well-liked.

As for what Kifer was doing in Smith's basement, Emma had no idea. "Everyone's wondering that," she said.

r-HAILE-KIFER-NICK-BRADY-large570.jpg

Jeff-DSA

The whole phrase, "if you're going to shoot an intruder, make sure they're dead" that gets passed around seems to be something that needs to be amended.

Smith dragged Kifer next to Brady as she gasped for her life. He pressed the revolver's barrel under her chin and pulled the trigger in what he described as a "good, clean finishing shot" that was meant to end her suffering.

What a fucking animal.

Jeff-DSA

thats some IFC shit right there..............

A whimper or a nervous reaction can sound like a laugh. More than anything, it was probably a situation where she was drugged up and not quite right in the head at the moment. It sounds like she was an addict.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
What a fucking animal.

Eh... I'm not going to call him an animal. There must've been some crazy rationalization and fear and all sorts of other things going on in his head at that point.

I really just feel bad for the guy.

The parents of the kids though... goddamn I hate shitty parents.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I was with him until he started talking killshots. I'm thinking all of the burglaries have turned him into a twisted individual. That said, his behavior is deplorable.

Jacob

Jesus Christ. Straight from the pet penguin thread to this one....

brb going to watch a video of a penguin with a backpack again.

How the hell can anyone say this is self-defense? If the reports are true, the homeowner executed the two of them.

Upset, Smith, pulled out a revolver he had on him and shot her "more times than I needed to" in the chest, he said.

Lock this guy away for life.

Eh... I'm not going to call him an animal. There must've been some crazy rationalization and fear and all sorts of other things going on in his head at that point.

Note that he shot her under the chin after shooting her "more times then he should have" in the chest.

DY_nasty

IF it was to put them out of their misery, then sure. But still... this is just a bad situation all around.
Note that he shot her under the chin after shooting her "more times then he should have" in the chest.

Yeah, but when you lose your shit and let off rounds you eventually come back down to reality and look at your own work. That's not a pretty sight.

Again... not too clear on all that happened but I'm not about to call a guy who lost it defending his home an animal just yet.

joe2187

Banned

GOOD CLEAN FINISHING SHOT.

Jacob

IF it was to put them out of their misery, then sure. But still... this is just a bad situation all around.

Maybe he should have called a fucking ambulance instead of shooting them again.

The fact that he didn't call the cops at all suggests to me that he knows that what he did was wrong.

The fact that he didn't call the cops at all suggests to me that he knows that what he did was wrong.

or waited til the next day to ask a neighbor to report the shooting (imagine getting that call from your quiet neighbor).

Moral of the story, don't fucking break into houses. This guy had no idea there intentions.

on the other side isn't one shot good enough? shut the door to the basement and call the police. don't wrap them up in a tarp and take "kill shots"

bizarre story.

DY_nasty

GOOD CLEAN FINISHING SHOT.
Terminology.
In 2012 you don't put people out of their misery when there are hospitals around, this is not the fucking dark ages.

Okay... Not too many people have seen others completely lose their shit with a gun in their hand. I have. Not too many people have seen people gurgling on their own insides while bleeding out on the floor with some otherworldly look in their eyes. I try not to think on it.

It sounds like he snapped. It sounds like he reigned it in at some point and began to rationalize as things were still in motion. Seeing fucked up kids on the ground that you feel aren't going to make it... I can understand it. Not condoning it at all.

Tuck

He shot and wounded thieves that broke into his home.

I am perfectly ok with that.

He then *executed* each of them, and has shown no remorse.

Lock him up.

Kevtones

The man's actions/blunt honesty reflects his danger to society and I believe he should be locked up. He was in his right to shoot initially but after that - fuck. That said, the families deserve nothing civilly and the real truth is that you shouldn't fucking steal.

Home owners: Don't kill people just because they pissed you off. Also, teens: don't break into people's houses ever. Your life isn't worth anything you can steal from a basement.

-A message from NeoGAF

Chumly

Terminology.

Okay... Not too many people have seen others completely lose their shit with a gun in their hand. I have. Not too many people have seen people gurgling on their own insides while bleeding out on the floor with some otherworldly look in their eyes. I try not to think on it.

It sounds like he snapped. It sounds like he reigned it in at some point and began to rationalize as things were still in motion. Seeing fucked up kids on the ground that you feel aren't going to make it... I can understand it. Not condoning it at all.
If psychos like this can get guns for self defense then clearly our guns laws are out of date because its downright scary that people can just "lose it" like this.

Volimar

Wow, insane. My half sister's dad is turning crazy like this. He has semiautomatic/automatic weapons (I don't even know if they're legal since I've only seen them in pictures, and I'm not a big gun guy). He has surveillance cameras all over that can see in low light. He has canning equipment, and food stores. And he just started buying a shit ton of knives because "The ammo will probably only last a few days or weeks after the government collapses."

Every time I see a story like this, it just makes me think it will be him one day.

He shot and wounded thieves that broke into his home.

I am perfectly ok with that.

He then *executed* each of them, and has shown no remorse.

Lock him up.

Yup.

DY_nasty

If psychos like this can get guns for self defense then clearly our guns laws are out of date because its downright scary that people can just "lose it" like this.

People lose it all the time when they feel they're threatened... not trying to have a gun debate here at all though.

joe2187

Banned
Wow, insane. My half sister's dad is turning crazy like this. He has semiautomatic/automatic weapons (I don't even know if they're legal since I've only seen them in pictures, and I'm not a big gun guy). He has surveillance cameras all over that can see in low light. He has canning equipment, and food stores. And he just started buying a shit ton of knives because "The ammo will probably only last a few days or weeks after the government collapses."

Every time I see a story like this, it just makes me think it will be him one day.

Sounds like he's a doomsday pepper

Gor@n

Neo Member
Multiple things wrong with this. I'm sure the kids would've run had they seen him with a gun, or if he shouted to them to leave his property because he's armed. Also you'd think he'd upgrade the security in his house so people can't break in after so many.

Volimar

Sounds like he's a doomsday pepper

Yeah, but that's just the tip of the iceberg. If he sees someone he doesn't recognize coming up to the door, he grabs a hand gun and confronts them, even if it's a mailman he doesn't recognize. He has guns and knives taped to the wall and underneath furniture. He's also racist as hell, and you can imagine how he took the recent election results.

And my sister lets her kids go over there, shoot those weapons, and call him crazy grandpa. But she thinks she's not going to visit with him so often anymore since he told her he's an atheist.

The dude has experienced several break ins. He was pissed. It doesn't excuse what he did and he will pay the price for it. But I won't feel sorry for the teenagers either though. For his own good he should have used better judgement, same for the teenagers.

Fucked up story all around. Those teenagers were idiots for breaking and entering, and it's hard to feel pity for them... but the way that guy described killing them was chilling. A good clean finishing shot? Jesus christ man, those are fellow humans you're talking about, not fucking deer. IMO he definitely crossed the self-defense line. Sounds like he just lost it.

Akkad

Banned
Multiple things wrong with this. I'm sure the kids would've run had they seen him with a gun, or if he shouted to them to leave his property because he's armed. Also you'd think he'd upgrade the security in his house so people can't break in after so many.

Especially considering he was a former security officer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom