• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst |OT| Keeping the Faith Alive

Eggbok

me11t0ajk.png

me12b7ags.png

me13doz1d.png

Mirror's Edge: E3 2013 Announcement Teaser Trailer
Mirror's Edge: E3 2014 Conceptual Prototype
Mirror’s Edge Catalyst E3 2015 Announcement Trailer
Mirror's Edge Catalyst: The Movement of Faith
Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Story Trailer: I Am Faith

PC SPECS
MINIMUM:
CPU: Intel i3-3250 / AMD FX-6350. (Note: Mirror's Edge Catalyst requires at least 4 logical cores to run.)
RAM: 6 GB
HARD DRIVE: At least 25 GB of free space
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 650 Ti 2GB or better / AMD Radeon™ R9 270x or better
INPUT: Keyboard and mouse, dual analog controller

RECOMMENDED:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 at 3.4 GHz / AMD FX-8350 at 4.0 GHz
RAM: 16 GB
HARD DRIVE: At least 25 GB of free space
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 970 4GB or better / AMD Radeon™ R9 280x 3GB or better
INPUT: Keyboard and mouse, dual analog controller

MINI FAQ:
WHAT'S NEW?
GADGETS
  • MAG Rope - Latches on to specific cameras in the world, using the Conglomerate’s own surveillance equipment against them to gain new and unique traversal opportunities.
  • Disruptor – Leveraging the MAG Rope’s power source and a military grade decryption mod, Faith's glove can disrupt KrugerSec systems, eventually even destroying their AI.
SOCIAL PLAY
  • Connect with your Runner friends. Challenge them to your own Time Trials or place a Beat L.E. within Glass for them to find. The Social Play of Mirror’s Edge Catalyst will appeal to both novice and pro Runners.
PROGRESSION
  • Skill Tree - Unlike the original game, Mirror's Edge: Catalyst features an all new skill tree that is split into 3 categories: Movement, Combat and Gear. Players will earn XP for completing missions and finding Gridleaks.
FOCUS
  • Focus is gained from free running, and once Faith has Focus enemies cannot hit her. Focus is lost from low speed and being attacked, so it is essential to maintain a balance of out-traversing opponents and engaging them directly.
FOV SLIDER
  • Unlike the original, Mirror's Edge: Catalyst features an FOV slider in all versions of the game.

QUESTIONS
Is Mirror's Edge: Catalyst a prequel, reboot, or sequel?
Mirror's Edge: Catalyst is a reboot, it is a retelling of Faith's origin story

Can Faith use weapons?
Faith doesn't need a weapon; she uses her environment, momentum, and physicality to overcome any challenge.

How big are the downloads?
PC - 13GB, PS4 - 16 GB, XB1 - 16.21 GB

Review Thread

Thread will be updated more later today!

XAL

I'm getting absolutely dreadful performance during cutscenes for some reason, wasn't like that AT ALL in the beta. Also Icarus' hoodie was glitching the hell out for me. Don't know why this is happened. (drivers current, patch downloaded)

Also, what the fuck is happening on Metacritic. This has like a 1.5 on there.

I guess the neckbeard and EA hate brigade already stormed it.

This is what happens when you let SJWs make video games. All characters are unlikeable, probably just like the people who wrote their dialogues. There has been no game developed by SJWs that actually turned out be good, this is no exception, garbage.
9 of 19 users found this helpful

wat

I'm getting absolutely dreadful performance during cutscenes for some reason, wasn't like that AT ALL in the beta. Also Icarus' hoodie was glitching the hell out for me. Don't know why this is happened. (drivers current, patch downloaded)

wat

Mid 70's on metacritic...

Oh you're referring to user scores. Yea people are being stupid.

Yaaaas!

Such a good game. Played about 9 hours now, fucking loving it!
YAAAAAS! Here we go! Been waiting nearly eight years for this.

Now to wait two more days for the UK release. :(
Which platform? You can use a VPN to unlock it early if you're on PC :)
Lol, guess that person hasn't heard of Overwatch, Uncharted 4, etc.
Any word on a map editor like the first?
I don't think so but you can create your own time trials then upload them (set point A and point B), and you can also place "Beats" which I think are just points people have to reach (so difficult to climb to)

Also, Feep's post from the Review Thread pretty much perfectly sums up my feelings so far:
Basically, the main story missions seem to be exactly what ME1 was...tight, carefully designed courses. Elysium Labs was quite fun to "figure out". Runner's Vision off, of course.

Pundits didn't like the original and they don't like this. The minor annoyances melt away quickly...you reach your ME1 moveset within 75 minutes, maximum. Combat *is* more fluid than ME1, even if it isn't as fun as running. The open world stuff can be easily ignored, but I personally like how the time trials are now integrated into the main game, as opposed to off in a side menu.

8.5/10 for me so far, 5 hours in.

cj_iwakura

Not liking the vibe of the NPCs and story... it feels like they had to give everyone more drama and back story, rather than the subtle minimalism of the first. This is going to be full of cutscenes, isn't it?

rafaelr

yay, just bought. if the 16gig download as it says on the ps store is correct, i should be able to play by the time i get home.

Do we know if PS4 version looks better than the recent closed beta? I mean, it played fine, but those low-res, muddy and blurry textures on buildings all around the city just ruined the atmosphere for me.

thumb

Banned
I just finished the intro tutorial, where the city is revealed, the camera pans, and the music kicks in. And it was like it was 2008 again.

And I can't believe this game is real. I'm still in disbelief that it finally came out. I can tell by the mechanics I'm going to have a good time. I don't know whether I will love it, but I'm so glad it exists.

Edit: Also, hooray for an FOV slider on consoles! Thanks DICE.

Just finished the opening quest before hitting the hay. And all I can sum up is meh, thus far at least.

The running and parkour still aren't fun and the combat is lame. Thus far.

I'll finish up the trial, bortow it from the library to finish it and hope it's quite short. Then I will forget about it.

Does this have any of the awesome tracks from the original ? It had such a great soundtrack that it permanently stays in my playlist .

TEJ

I will buy it tomorrow and see for myself if it's the mirrors edge sequel I want. Impressions have been all over the place but I still want to give the game a chance.

syoaran

Initially the game felt pretty bad, but after playing about 6hours of it I've come to really enjoy it - on par with the first Mirrors Edge. As mentioned before, the core ME experience is there with main story missions. Without spoiling anything, the game "clicked" with me about 4-5missions in - and I think in large part it was because the excellent soundtrack was properly placed - making the song modulate as you ascend that missions skyscraper [Reminded me of the Shard from the first game].

Hopefully they'll fix the low res textures in the foreground and wonky cutscenes for launch [PC player here], but pleasantly surprised that the game plays at 60fps on high on a moderate gaming rig.

13325471_10156948635890632_1509979999735387730_n.jpg

I've been playing the game for 3 hours so far...

If you loved the first game like me then you are going to fall in love with this one even more... Much much more.

So many fun things to do... This how the original ME was supposed to be from the start.

Having a blast :)

*Splinter

Very excited for this. Reviews were a bit all over the place but general impression seems to be that it holds up to the original. Can't wait for Thursday (UK release)

I am loving this so much. So hard to put down. Just running around the city feels so good, and it's so gorgeous and fluid and ugh. The Solar Fields music is amazing too.

So pleased.

Zojirushi

I am loving this so much. So hard to put down. Just running around the city feels so good, and it's so gorgeous and fluid and ugh. The Solar Fields music is amazing too.

So pleased.

I asked this in the other thread but: How much variety is there in the ambient music? Does it change depending on the area of the city you are in?

Didn't realize the Green Man Gaming keys wouldn't be released until Thursday, so unfortunately (fortunately?) it's more Overwatch for me until then. I'm kind of sad that the barely-there fill-in-your-own-blanks story has been replaced by MELODRAMA 2EDGE4U cutscenes but hopefully it won't be too embarrassing.

Yoday

I was really confused by this thread being almost a week late, completely forgetting that it didn't actually launch until today. I am spoiled by EA Access. Excited to jump back into Glass today.

syoaran

Didn't realize the Green Man Gaming keys wouldn't be released until Thursday, so unfortunately (fortunately?) it's more Overwatch for me until then. I'm kind of sad that the barely-there fill-in-your-own-blanks story has been replaced by MELODRAMA 2EDGE4U cutscenes but hopefully it won't be too embarrassing.

Agreed - but the cutscenes are actually pretty well voiced and mo-caped well, so it's at least visually appealing melodrama!

Woah I might just mainline this on the trial then.

If your referring to the trial on origins at the moment, believe it locks you out of the main story pre-mission 6. Regardless of your play time, the trial doesn't let you complete the game

SomTervo

My impressions from the other thread:

Playing the EA trial on PC right now.

On all Medium settings and 1050p it looks and runs far better than PS4 or XBO versions (which looked OK). Think I'm hitting 60FPS pretty consistently with a GTX 960 and good processor/RAM.

The MagLev grappling hook thing is awesome. Basically a first-person version of Uncharted 4's rope. Really great although it's a bit too sensitive to which WASD button you're pressing when you let go...

Combat is now great and I relish it in every level. Once you embrace the fact that you have you leap off walls/perform tricks to actually do the damage and dunk dudes, it becomes a badass martial ballet. When they start introducing tougher enemy types it gets more compelling, too. Run up a wall, spin and jump off, slam a guy in the chest, kick him sideways into his buddy, dodge right to avoid an Enforcer's gunfire, then sprint towards him, crouch-slide under his gunfire, and slide-kick him in the nuts for a OHKO - then get up and hop-leap off a desk for a high-flying eagle-kick into the last guy's face... etc.

Even in enclosed spaces it becomes a brutal flurry of dodging around guys and kicking them into each other, off walls, into railings. So fun..

Best part is that if you want to avoid the combat you can do so. Though I think there was a moment in the Savant Extraordinaire mission where I had to beat 4-5 guys to proceed... Would need a replay to confirm though.

Open world seems great and general level design seems decent, although I am certainly slightly miffed about how they teased a huge world and it's just a big one. Good size so far, though. Some of it feels like total classic platformer material.

The story was a complete joke in the original and it seems pretty much like a joke in this one.

Also the gameplay in Catalyst is in no way checklisty. There are a couple of collectibles but these compel you to platform and explore rather than tick boxes. 75% of the content so far (about 5 hours in) seems to be missions and runs which are each great.

Open world is fantastic. If this second game was as linear/closed as the original, I personally don't believe it would be as good as the game I am currently playing. In Catalyst there's a limitless range of possibilities for time trials and perfecting tight, intense routes.

wat

Weren't cutscenes super weird and rough in the Beta, too?

I get like 60FPS in gameplay then a cutscene starts and it's like 15FPS.

Luckily for me, the story is so bland I just hold space and skip every cutscene, blasting through for the speed and freerunning. Helps get through it quick in the 6 hour Origin trial limit, too.

Top Bottom