• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst |OT| Keeping the Faith Alive

chris121580

I'm really enjoying my time with this so far. About 4 hours in and it feels like Mirror's Edge on a new engine. It looks real good on my PC as well. More than happy with how this turned out

Thanks. I miss the days of being able to do hard saves on most games.
Same here.

A lack of a "save and quit" option in games always stresses me out a little because I never know how much is going to get saved or lost. I'll never understand the point of removing that.

But this new ME seems to save as frequently as an MMO. Feels solid.

SomTervo

Any romance for Faith?

A romance for Faith would suck. Keep it out of the lore, IMO.

Some screens. Hurray for native 21:9 support!

27444621131_3c3a56f58e_o.png

27482499266_de421740cd_o.png

Dat 21:9...

thumb

Banned
I'm really enjoying my time with this so far. About 4 hours in and it feels like Mirror's Edge on a new engine. It looks real good on my PC as well. More than happy with how this turned out

Same. I put a few more hours in and I'm having a great time.

TripOpt55

Started it up. Pretty fun, but I played this part during the beta, so I'm looking forward to getting past that and having the basic upgrades unlocked. Still need the coil.

Just finished it up on Xbox. Technical issues and some story issues aside, I fucking loved it from beginning to end.

It'll probably be the final ME game we'll ever see, but I'm fine with that. This is what ME always should have been, and I'm going to be returning to this for years and years to come.

Just finished it up on Xbox. Technical issues and some story issues aside, I fucking loved it from beginning to end.

It'll probably be the final ME game we'll ever see, but I'm fine with that. This is what ME always should have been, and I'm going to be returning to this for years and years to come.
Thoughts on the graphics? Are the cutscenes really laggy?

Can't wait for this to be out (gotta wait until Thursday </3)

I loved the original and really enjoyed the beta and have been hyped since it was announced

Hopefully the PC performance is the same/a little better than the beta even with the higher textures :)

MattyG

Banned
Ok, runner vision classic or off? Off seems more rewarding, but super difficult.

Also, do I have to hold R2 anytime I run? I can't tell if there's a speed difference other than the initial takeoff.

Thoughts on the graphics? Are the cutscenes really laggy?
Cutscenes go on without a hitch, the problem is everything else is a bit rough.

The image quality is abhorrent. I mean it when I say that there were times I couldn't tell what I was about to run into because everything ahead was a big blur. I had actually ran straight into glass thinking it was a clear path. The anti-aliasing on display is either completely non-functional or doesn't exist at all, everything is completely jagged and there's an awful amount of shimmering going on. There's also a terrible amount of LOD pop-in and entire objects or buildings that pop in right in front of your eyes.

Performance wise, every few seconds the game saves or generates new geometry ahead of you and it causes a hitch that gets really jarring when you're running at full speed, maintaining momentum. It feels like a constant stutter.

If you have any way to play this on PS4 or PC, go for it. The Xbox version is rough and easily the worst way to play the game. It's playable, but there's no way I can say I recommend that version if other choices are available.

Shikoba

So torn. I liked my time with the trial, but at the same time I wasn't swept off my feet, like I was with say... Overwatch recently. I adore the aesthetics of everything, but the choppy cutscenes combined with a seemingly "meh" story (from what I played so far at least) leave me unsure. Wondering if I should take the leap or wait for a price drop. Guess I'll keep an eye out on the topic for more impressions. Nice OT btw.

The image quality is abhorrent. I mean it when I say that there were times I couldn't tell what I was about to run into because everything ahead was a big blur. I had actually ran straight into glass thinking it was a clear path. The anti-aliasing on display is either completely non-functional or doesn't exist at all, everything is completely jagged and there's an awful amount of shimmering going on. There's also a terrible amount of LOD pop-in and entire objects or buildings that pop in right in front of your eyes.

Performance wise, every few seconds the game saves or generates new geometry ahead of you and it causes a hitch that gets really jarring when you're running at full speed, maintaining momentum. It feels like a constant stutter.

If you have any way to play this on PS4 or PC, go for it. The Xbox version is rough and easily the worst way to play the game. It's playable, but there's no way I can say I recommend that version if other choices are available.

Agree.

I was in a room where the entire reflections were bugging out and it couldnt make out where to go lol

Yeah the Image Quality is really bad on XboxOne sadly.

golem

Ok, runner vision classic or off? Off seems more rewarding, but super difficult.

Also, do I have to hold R2 anytime I run? I can't tell if there's a speed difference other than the initial takeoff.
Going with classic the first time through. You should reach full momentum just pushing the analog stick

Wanderer5

Still waiting for my "retail" PC version from Amazon bleh, so I likely just end up playing it starting tomorrow. Looking forward for some more awesome parkour despite its shortcomings like the original.

Flandy

Anyone getting some seizure inducing strobing effect near the start?
Friends running an SLI setup and got the strobing effect got even worse when she up the settings. Could it be a bug or is this intended?

xRaizen

Why can't I customize anything on the site? When I click my profile, it just says "sign out"... not profile editing.

Tomeru

Got this digitally for PS4, and textures not loading fast enough is annoying. Love the game though, it's slick and gameplay is fun af.

Edit:
And letting us change fov makes it even better.

Menitta

How is the grappling hook used? All I've seen is that it's used to travel between large gaps and nothing really fancy.

Riddler

Cool.

Amazon has no idea why my PS4 collectors edition didn't ship and they are sold out and they have no idea when they'll get more.

I preordered the day they went up in January.

Everything is fine. Everything is fucking fine.

GOD DAMMIT.

edit: cool. I'm never getting it shipped because they are pretty sure they'll not get more. nice. and the only compensation they can offer me is an extra month of amazon prime. hoo-fuckin-rah.

That sucks. I'm in the same boat but I'm holding out. Considering they were selling these without a game for so long makes me upset.

Cool.

Amazon has no idea why my PS4 collectors edition didn't ship and they are sold out and they have no idea when they'll get more.

I preordered the day they went up in January.

Everything is fine. Everything is fucking fine.

GOD DAMMIT.

edit: cool. I'm never getting it shipped because they are pretty sure they'll not get more. nice. and the only compensation they can offer me is an extra month of amazon prime. hoo-fuckin-rah.

How weird. Up until a couple days ago, they were still taking orders for it. I decided to cancel mine too since it seemed readily available, so there should be at least one extra I would think.

Agree.

I was in a room where the entire reflections were bugging out and it couldnt make out where to go lol

Yeah the Image Quality is really bad on XboxOne sadly.
Aw, that's a shame. Have it installing on my Xbone right now. I'll deal with it though. Only means to play it and I've been waiting 8 years for a new ME game so I'll take it warts and all.

FaintDeftone

Grabbed the PC version. I hear good things about its performance on the 970 in 1080p so hopefully I made the right call. I'm not a big fan of the original game (just never played through it all the way) so I'm wondering if this one will suck me in since the original failed to do so.

For those looking to see a proper representation of what the game looks like on Xbox One, here's a shot I took of it.

As you can see, shit is rough.

Wow!

Anyone have guesses as to why it's this bad? The has pretty low system requirements on PC, especially with AMD cards.

As you can see, shit is rough.
Its better on PS4, but still, how in the world did this come from DICE of all people?

We can get damn near photo-realism in Battlefront's 40 player matches with all kinds of FX going off everywhere, but a collection of simple shapes over a moderate distance in a single player game is enough to bring the IQ down to this level? And that's before the snail-paced texture loads everywhere.

Its playable, and luckily isn't as off-putting in a game like Mirror's Edge where the focus is on the simple and the readable, but man, I really don't get why it has to be this way.

How in the world did this come from DICE of all people?

We can get damn near photo-realism in Battlefront's 40 player matches with all kinds of FX going off everywhere, but a collection of simple shapes over a moderate distance in a single player game is enough to bring the IQ down to this level? And that's before the snail-paced texture loads everywhere.

Its playable, and luckily isn't as off-putting in a game like Mirror's Edge where the focus is on the simple and the readable, but man, I really don't get why it has to be this way.
Battlefront is 720p on XB1 as well, but that game uses quite low poly assets & tesselation to make up the difference.

It really is just Frostbite and XB1. They don't play well together for some reason.

Flandy

My friend has 1080 SLI set up, and was saying the same thing. She's playing at 4K, and something looks off. Like the AA is poor (there is no options to change it), and things look blurry and washed out. And even at 4K it looks blurry. She's also getting FPS dips with Hyper options, but it doesn't look that much better then Ultra, because the imaqe quality looks poor.

My friend has 1080 SLI set up, and was saying the same thing. She's playing at 4K, and something looks off. Like the AA is poor (there is no options to change it), and things look blurry and washed out. And even at 4K it looks blurry. She's also getting FPS dips with Hyper options, but it doesn't look that much better then Ultra, because the imaqe quality looks poor.
I would really like DICE to patch in a different AA option. This one smears things so much, like if you hold the camera still the image resolves to relatively crisp but during movement it's pretty bad.

AA off is horrible, too. Has anyone tried AA off + injected AA?

Gitaroo

I would really like DICE to patch in a different AA option. This one smears things so much, like if you hold the camera still the image resolves to relatively crisp but during movement it's pretty bad.

AA off is horrible, too. Has anyone tried AA off + injected AA?

played it yesterday with reshade lumen sharpen @1080p hyper mode. Sharp enough for me using in game AA. Biggest problem is the texture streaming issue, some texture just won't load even after I let it sit there for awhile. Lowering the setting doesn't change anything. Reshade lumen sharpen solves almost all the TAA softness, Fallout 4, and even SFV can look almost as sharp as PS4 version while jaggy free, more ppl should look into using reshade/sweetfx.

MattyG

Banned
Performance is slowly getting worse (PS4).

Also, these characters and voice acting is so bad. But it's so fun, so it's worth it.

Played the PC version for a bit, played smooth so far, just played till the game opened up, same like the beta. At least the cutscenes don't stutter anymore.
Plays smooth so far.

Top Bottom