• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst |OT| Keeping the Faith Alive

Blizzard

Banned
I've been playing all night. I like it overall, with some annoyances (particularly how slow it is to reload delivery missions).

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
It's 900p on the PS4?

SomTervo

I've been playing all night. I like it overall, with some annoyances (particularly how slow it is to reload delivery missions).

The loading is a bit of a pain. Sometimes it's near-instantaneous and plonks you in precisely the right place - other times it takes forever even for small distances/resets.

Blizzard

Banned
The loading is a bit of a pain. Sometimes it's near-instantaneous and plonks you in precisely the right place - other times it takes forever even for small distances/resets.
Deaths always take 8+ seconds for me, and annoyingly there's no "retry" button for delivery missions. During the reload, hard disk activity seems minimal, so I'm guessing it's CPU time?

Reload for time trial missions is 2-3 seconds which is fine.

Also, the "Take Me To The Grid Node" time trial was BRUTAL for me. Just 3-starred it at last.

derder

Deaths always take 8+ seconds for me, and annoyingly there's no "retry" button for delivery missions. During the reload, hard disk activity seems minimal, so I'm guessing it's CPU time?

Also, the "Take Me To The Grid Node" time trial was BRUTAL for me. Just 3-starred it at last.

Are you playing from SSD?

XAL

My impressions from the other thread:

Weren't cutscenes super weird and rough in the Beta, too?

I get like 60FPS in gameplay then a cutscene starts and it's like 15FPS.

Luckily for me, the story is so bland I just hold space and skip every cutscene, blasting through for the speed and freerunning. Helps get through it quick in the 6 hour Origin trial limit, too.

Mine were fine during beta (gameplay was 60fps), now it drops to 0 fps and chuggs desperately a few frames and then skips like 10 seconds and repeats until it freezes. When I skip I have to wait like 30 seconds for it to register, all the while seeing/hearing chopped up horrid cutscenes.

The reception for this game so far reminds me of the giant man in Twin Peaks repeating "it is happening again..."

At least it won't be forgotten by those who did play it.

Got a few hours in this morning.

Love being back in the eyes of Faith. The movement and fluidity are fantastic, combat a bit clunky but certainly improved, and the open world hasn't bothered me yet.

I could care less about the story, barely listening, but the environmental feel is ethereal and similar to the first game.

Looks and runs great on a GeForce 1080 / 1440p / Hyper settings.

I asked this in the other thread but: How much variety is there in the ambient music? Does it change depending on the area of the city you are in?
I think there is a different ambient track for different parts of the city, or it might be based on ToD. There are definitely multiple tracks, I'm just not sure how they're triggered, sorry :p

JoeLT

Can anyone on PS4 confirm the IQ and frame rate problems from the beta have been fixed? They are fixed on Xbox One with a new AA that is much better and little to no drops. If it's the same on PS4 but with 50% more resolution I'll be very happy.

Trying to decide if I want to pick this up today; I have zero interest in the story, but I am a little concerned about what reviewers are saying about the open world harming the gameplay. I've been reading a couple of impressions, but how do you who are already playing feel about it?

The game could definitely use some optimization on PC. I can't get a steady 60 fps on anything but low and I can run GTA V with everything maxed at 1440p60. Here I'm struggling on 1080p. Putting it on Auto seems to do a pretty good job, but I'm still mostly in the 50s and it's driving me insane.

Catdaddy

Also, what the fuck is happening on Metacritic. This has like a 1.5 on there.

I guess the neckbeard and EA hate brigade already stormed it.

wat

For PS4 says 147 User Reviews, but graph below only has 11 listed, must have been bombed by some assholes...

Yoday

Trying to decide if I want to pick this up today; I have zero interest in the story, but I am a little concerned about what reviewers are saying about the open world harming the gameplay. I've been reading a couple of impressions, but how do you who are already playing feel about it?
If you're a fan of the original game then you'll live it. The game is fantastic, it's just not for everyone. I've loved the open world so far, and I've had a blast hunting down and trying to figure out how to reach the collectibles. Some of the hidden bags are pretty tricky to get to.

greenry

Played it for an hour last night - the free running felt great. I didn't mind the initial spots of combat either (that could change). So far so good.

SomTervo

Mine were fine during beta (gameplay was 60fps), now it drops to 0 fps and chuggs desperately a few frames and then skips like 10 seconds and repeats until it freezes. When I skip I have to wait like 30 seconds for it to register, all the while seeing/hearing chopped up horrid cutscenes.

Somebody in the 'Trial is live' thread said that re-installing to an SSD helped the loading. Maybe try that yourself?

Bizarre that it worked better in the beta.

I don't think I have SSD space atm - but TBH, I also don't think I'll be playing Quantum Break again, so I should probably uninstall that and reinstall this.,

Just like with the first game, the races and trials are where this game really shines.

I've been enjoying the open world and the story missions and combat - but when you give a trial a shot then spend 15 minutes down a rabbit-hole of refinish your route, then nail it with three stars... So fucking good.

Do the delivery wall unit things sometimes give you different routes, BTW? I kept retrying a route and it started with me going right to reach the destination - but then after I went away off-mission to refine the route a bit more, the same wall unit gave me a completely different destination off to my left. It really threw me. I still haven't completed the route which goes to my right because it seems to have disappeared.

Got a few hours in this morning.

Love being back in the eyes of Faith. The movement and fluidity are fantastic, combat a bit clunky but certainly improved, and the open world hasn't bothered me yet.

I couldn't care less about the story, barely listening, but the environmental feel is ethereal and similar to the first game.

Looks and runs great on a GeForce 1080 / 1440p / Hyper settings.

FTFY ;)

Can't wait to nab a 1080 of my own.

cme

Neo Member
Still haven't even gotten a delivery estimate from Amazon for the CE. I'm annoyed to say the least.

thumb

Banned
Just like with the first game, the races and trials are where this game really shines.

I know a lot of fans agree, but I've never seen the races/trials as the best the games can offer. They're good, don't get me wrong, but I appreciate the missions more. I also like the slower moments where you're just examining a room and strategizing a way to free run to particular location.

Gitaroo

the game is 23 gig for PC for me. And there is defintiely some texture streaming bug, game looks worse than the original atm. I tried lowering the setting doesn't seems to do much.

XAL

Somebody in the 'Trial is live' thread said that re-installing to an SSD helped the loading. Maybe try that yourself?

I don't think I have SSD space atm - but TBH, I also don't think I'll be playing Quantum Break again, so I should probably uninstall that and reinstall this.

I don't have an SSD. If that's the only solution ... that's a fucking joke.

Moaradin

Sounds like you'll like this if you liked the first game? I'll probably pick it up whenever I can get my hands on a new GPU.

Kazer

My copy will be waiting for me when I get home from work.

Going to be torn between this and Odin Sphere!

GavinUK86

I know a lot of fans agree, but I've never seen the races/trials as the best the games can offer. They're good, don't get me wrong, but I appreciate the missions more. I also like the slower moments where you're just examining a room and strategizing a way to free run to particular location.

I agree with you. I've never been a fan or time trial/leaderboard stuff in any game and I feel the same for Mirror's Edge. The main missions are what I liked best. Same for this one. The time trials can be fun if you wanna waste half hour or so but the main draw are the missions.

I was a bit disappointed I wouldn't be getting the collector's edition for pc from Amazon because they screwed up my preorder but I got an email today saying it's shipped! So, yay! Have to wait until next week to play it though :(

I enjoyed the Origin Access trial even though it didn't grip me as much as the original did. I'm hoping that changes when I can play it fully.

MattyG

Banned
Ughhh, I can't decide between PC and PS4. I played the trial on PC yesterday and it seemed to not perform super well, even on my 970.

Blizzard

Banned

I don't think I have SSD space atm - but TBH, I also don't think I'll be playing Quantum Break again, so I should probably uninstall that and reinstall this.
I've had the game installed to a SSD from the start. Time trial loads are fast, other loads are slow. I think the beta worked the same way for me and I -might- have installed it on a hard disk.

SomTervo

I actually agreed with you re Mirror's Edge 1, but in Catalyst I'm finding the races/trials super compelling because the areas are so open and flexible...

Oozer3993

Can't wait to get home to play this. Absolutely loved ME1 (beat it on all three platforms) and thought we were never getting another one. I already played the crap out of the Beta and the trial. Bring on the full game.

I actually agreed with you re Mirror's Edge 1, but in Catalyst I'm finding the races/trials super compelling because the areas are so open and flexible...

I 3 starred all the trials in ME1, but I like the dashes here more because they're open ended. Just a start and a finish. Find your own route.

dreamfall

Loved the first game with all my heart. Waiting on my PC CE which Amazon shipped late so it'll arrive tomorrow. Can't wait to just run all over the city- it's going to be so beautiful!

papo

Any direct comparison to the first game?

I was wondering if the upgrade system hampered the game in any way or if it is more of a cool 'Metroidvania' type thing where you can't reach certain spots after a specific upgrade.

Is the game fun? Is the feeling or parkouring as good as the first time? Are deaths as scary as last time?

Yeah, this game is a mystery in several ways.

You do a race event and you can retry instantly, which is wonderful. Then you do a timed delivery event and it takes forever to restart. Not sure why those two would act so different.

And so many textures load in so slowly, at least on PS4. So much is blurry until you get closer and can watch them slowly resolve into clarity.

Am having a lot of fun with the open world, exploring and finding faster routes, but there are way too many collectibles. Grid leaks can sometimes require you to do some minor puzzling which is cool, and hidden packages and documents are nice to stumble upon, but I've pulled way too many chips from various electrical panels for no reason. They're everywhere, and feel like hollow busy work and list checking.

SomTervo

Any direct comparison to the first game?

I was wondering if the upgrade system hampered the game in any way or if it is more of a cool 'Metroidvania' type thing where you can't reach certain spots after a specific upgrade.

Is the game fun? Is the feeling or parkouring as good as the first time? Are deaths as scary as last time?

The controls are as good as Mirror's Edge 1. They feel slightly more floaty but they actually perfectly blend with Faith's body and movements, so it feels good. Very, very well designed. Check out her shadow or reflection whenever you're running - looks perfect and 1:1 with your actions.

There are a couple of new moves that are really well implemented. The rope-swing gadget (maglev) is awesome, but not very well signposted so sometimes you fall to your death because the game doesn't let you punch into a hook-point.

Falling to your death is still horrifying.

The upgrade system is a non-issue. Definitely nothing metroidvania-ey here (well, one thing, but it takes very little time to get the key unlocks).

The level design on missions is very nice, but there aren't many of them.

The open world level design for traversal/exploration is OK, I'm finding it a bit fiddly/unintuitive - but then again I'm playing with all the 'runner vision' off, so it's easy to get lost (no red markings as your waypoint).

The open world level design for races/time trials is fucking amazing and has surpassed Mirror's Edge 1 for me. There is a thick abundance of deliveries, special challenges, and time trials with fast leaderboards - as well as an infinite amount of player-made trials so you can keep finding new content. You can go for hours doing this stuff.

Combat is fucking great once you learn to use jumps/leaps/slides to do special heavy-hits on enemies, and you learn to manage the crowds. If you try to play it just walking up to enemies and punching/kicking, you'll find it dull, janky, and probably unfun. The AI is a bit wobbly sometimes and can get stuck standing still doing nothing. When it works it works brilliantly.

Story is by the numbers, pretty dull. I like Faith's VA, though.

Can't wait to get home to play this. Absolutely loved ME1 (beat it on all three platforms) and thought we were never getting another one. I already played the crap out of the Beta and the trial. Bring on the full game.

I 3 starred all the trials in ME1, but I like the dashes here more because they're open ended. Just a start and a finish. Find your own route.

Damn straight.

painey

I was always very proud of my work in the GAF Mirrors Edge photoshop contest. I miss those contests :(

ALsfzvB.jpg

Fracas

#fuckonami
Where's the cheapest place I can pick this up for PC? The reviews aren't so hot, but I adore the original game and the beta was fun.

_woLf

Cool.

Amazon has no idea why my PS4 collectors edition didn't ship and they are sold out and they have no idea when they'll get more.

I preordered the day they went up in January.

Everything is fine. Everything is fucking fine.

GOD DAMMIT.

edit: cool. I'm never getting it shipped because they are pretty sure they'll not get more. nice. and the only compensation they can offer me is an extra month of amazon prime. hoo-fuckin-rah.

I impulse bought this game at the last minute before it released on Origin. I still go the pre-order runner's bag from the first game and it's a little disappointing they didn't have something like that for this game but I bought it anyway to support it.

SomTervo

Yeah, this game is a mystery in several ways.

You do a race event and you can retry instantly, which is wonderful. Then you do a timed delivery event and it takes forever to restart. Not sure why those two would act so different.

And so many textures load in so slowly, at least on PS4. So much is blurry until you get closer and can watch them slowly resolve into clarity.

Am having a lot of fun with the open world, exploring and finding fasting routes, but there are way too many collectibles. Grid leaks can sometimes require you to do some minor puzzling which is cool, and hidden packages and documents are nice to stumble upon, but I've pulled way too many chips from various electrical panels for no reason. They're everywhere, and feel like hollow busy work and list checking.

Agreed all over. I like the collectibles but there's definitely a sense of saturation in terms of the electrical panels.

I have a feeling the security ones might be tied to security cameras, impacting how easy you are to track during KrugerSec chases?

TEJ

I have a question. Went and bought it today but i'm confused about the save point system. Is every checkpoint a save? I wish these games would be more clear about this kind of thing.

I have a question. Went and bought it today but i'm confused about the save point system. Is every checkpoint a save? I wish these games would be more clear about this kind of thing.
Seems to save very often. Every time I've left the game from a random spot in the open world I started the game back up exactly where I left off.

Top Bottom