• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst |OT| Keeping the Faith Alive

Blizzard

Banned
This is on sale for 9.99 at Origin this weekend. I'm really enjoying it, but I wish there was more background music. Soundtrack never seems to play.
It definitely plays turning time trials or while sprinting through the city. It might get louder if you're at top speed.

Everdred

I played a few hours this weekend and it's still a great game. Love the flow and just running around. Spent about 3 hours picking up optional quests and challenges. It's a shame we'll never see another one.

Huh, I remember the game being fairly music heavy.
I thought it was pretty quiet so I checked my settings. It was at 50% volume and I don't remember ever changing that so maybe it's defaulted pretty low.

NaviLink

Didn't want to create a LTTP thread so I thought it would be ok to post in here.

I just finished the game thanks to the free EA access week. It's pretty good to be honest. It improves stuff from the first (melee combat, and the writing), while keeping the (mostly) good parkour controls, the clean art direction and the good level design.

Obviously the biggest change is the open world aspect and the ability to choose the order of missions and optional stuff. I didn't mind, but the city does feel fairly small and repetitive after a while, especially if you start looking for collectables. But it's not the catastrophe I read about at release, the game is quite solid and has a good length without being too long.

There were a few technical issues on Xbox One, like a level getting all dark at some point, or some texture flickering. It still looks good and the 60FPS is great. Too bad not everything is 60FPS, the drones and the cars for example are 30FPS I think. But those things have happened only a couple of times, so no big deal.

Overall I enjoyed it.

dickroach

just finished the game

Obviously the biggest change is the open world aspect and the ability to choose the order of missions and optional stuff. I didn't mind, but the city does feel fairly small and repetitive after a while, especially if you start looking for collectables.

This is the biggest issue. when you hit the map button and see this giant city of... white polygons, you're like "damn this city's big" but you end up running back and forth to the same safe houses, the same checkpoints, and the game feels really small. The side mission and little random time trial things don't feel satisfying at all to beat, so the open world is useless. It's nearly impossible to tell the difference between whether windows are open or not, the game seemingly chooses at random whether a fall is too high or not, the combat was incredibly shallow, and the ending was really bad...

It's a shame there's so many negatives, because the first person action adventure gameplay is so damn run fun (usually). I wish there were more environments. I wish I could run around like that in the streets or through another city that deviated from the everything-is-white aesthetic. Mirror's Edge is totally dead after this game flopped so hard, but I wish they'd be able to give it one more go, and not just try to recreate the first game again for some reason

Bollocks

Trying to clear my backlog and man fuck this game, just had a 5 min brawl scene because u know this is exactly why I loved the original Mirrors Edge ._.

Why do the devs think they need to add combat? First game was great as it is. I hope there's not more combat ahead otherwise I'll quit right away.

Also ironically there's a pretty big drop from trophy percentage, guess a lot more people don't like the combat and gave up and never finished the level.

Awakened

Trying to clear my backlog and man fuck this game, just had a 5 min brawl scene because u know this is exactly why I loved the original Mirrors Edge ._.

Why do the devs think they need to add combat? First game was great as it is. I hope there's not more combat ahead otherwise I'll quit right away.

Also ironically there's a pretty big drop from trophy percentage, guess a lot more people don't like the combat and gave up and never finished the level.
The combat isn't so bad once you realize you can use the quick takedowns most of the time by jumping off walls or vaulting into enemies. I think I basically stopped using normal punches and kicks after awhile.

Blizzard

Banned

I really don't remember much combat outside of the tutorials (which move you through combat quickly), the tower things, and a few isolated story missions.

I do like how you have more options to get past it quickly.

Spoit

Yeah, the combat wasn't great, but I think people are really having rose colored glasses to say that it was worse than the 1st game's combat. I actually didn't mind the forced combat situations in this game that much, because they generally had a bunch of walls and crates to pull off the movement takedowns

isoRhythm

Banned
I know this is super late... but man fuck the diversion/timed missions in this game. This shit is harder than Sekiro, watching guides on Youtube and they always get extra time in diversion missions despite me doing better than them with the freerunning. Did they update this game to make these missions harder? Worst platinum ever

Last edited:

Fuchalmania

I know this is super late... but man fuck the diversion/timed missions in this game. This shit is harder than Sekiro, watching guides on Youtube and they always get extra time in diversion missions despite me doing better than them with the freerunning. Did they update this game to make these missions harder? Worst platinum ever
I did a couple of the diversion missions and avoided them after that. They're hard for the sake of it and I didn't feel any sense of accomplishment when I did manage to finish them.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I actually found most of them fairly easy and I don't consider myself that good at the game. Was a fun platinum for me and I don't normally go for them.

I remember the original's timed runs a lot harder.

Top Bottom