• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst |OT| Keeping the Faith Alive

There were a few other things such as FOV, v sync, resolution scale,but nothing like texture quality, lighting, ambient occlusion, particles etc.

I just selected hyper.

You need to get into the game itself to make graphics setting changes.

Once you're in, hit esc and go to options>graphics and change the preset to 'custom'.. then you can adjust all of the other settings including AO, texture quality, etc.

D.Va

Neo Member
Finally caved and bought the game. It feels just as the beta did (great) and running around is doing it for me. While I don't think it's the best game or even a great game, it's okay. And fun. The open world was a major drag and textures loading in really takes me out of it no matter how many times it happens (every time I move a few feet tbh). I also don't like that you can't see her reflection in everything and also reflections are based on what you're seeing (that Bauble Mall explosion cutscene -shudders-). Oh, and I know they want the city to feel real and lived in, but after I've completed everything, I kinda just wanna... run around without having to worry about KSec (I hate their naming conventions in this game, too). Sometimes I just run around while I have a time trial active so I don't have to worry about them.

The game does feel great but there are so many instances where it just doesn't work for me. When I'm trying to land a slide into a roll, sometimes I'll get stuck underneath what ever it was that I was trying to slide under. And then I get stuck and it won't let me move forward or backward. When I try to... totally blanking on what they call it, but when I use a smaller thing to jump to a higher thing, sometimes it just doesn't work when it should work. And I'll get stuck in between the two objects and it's just a big mess especially when I'm trying to speedrun or beat my previous records. These are small things, but they've happened to me quite frequently so it's a bit frustrating.

The biggest issue for me is the combat and it's not even the "combat" that I hate it's the use of the shift. When you get close to an enemy it's like you're being pulled into their gravity and so when I try to shift past an enemy and I want to go forward, it instead pulls me towards the enemy. Is that just me or am I crazy? Because I've noticed this happening a lot of times during my play time, and I've put quite a few hours into the game. Also I really hate fighting against the strongest enemies in this game (don't remember their names) because they can basically lock you in the falling animation until you die...
that last fight was
... ugh. It's not even hard it's just frustrating because they keep hitting me as soon as I get up. The combat is pretty terrible everyone knows but man how did they get this so wrong.

And I am definitely in the minority here but I didn't mind the first ME's story? It was simple and it got me to care enough about Faith and like her as a character. Catalyst is just... really bad, and I thought the voice acting was a hit or a miss. The actress playing as Faith sounded really bad in the beginning but then started to get better. And then at the end
during the last chapter when you were chasing Cat and Faith shouts, "Cat, stop! Cat, talk to me!"
It sounded like the two lines were recorded at different times because they just didn't sound right at all. Here's to hoping Jules comes back if they make a sequel to this. Oh, and characters. Well, let's just say Merc >>>> Noah. Celeste > Rebecca.
Kate > Cat
. I think the only side character that I came to like was Plastic and that was because she was so weird and strange it was endearing. And maybe Icarus.

All in all, Catalyst was okay. The art style is pretty but I think it was placed too in the future, when all I really wanted was the similar clearly superior modern world in the first one. I liked everything about the first one more than Catalyst. I know it seems like I'm being a bit nitpicky but I really love the first ME and I was so excited for this one. I just... wanted to go back the universe of the first one more than I wanted to stay in Catalyst's.

Ok

Just a few questions.

Playing on PC with Xbone controller.

What FOV is the best/should I chose? I'm using 90 which is the highest and it has that warp effect like in Doom.

In the original game, when drop down for a high surface you wold do a forward roll when you hit the ground to lessen the impact, ,what's the equivalent in this one?

What does SHIFT do while running? I know you can use it to dodge left/right when in combat.

Blizzard

Banned
Ok

Just a few questions.

Playing on PC with Xbone controller.

What FOV is the best/should I chose? I'm using 90 which is the highest and it has that warp effect like in Doom.

In the original game, when drop down for a high surface you wold do a forward roll when you hit the ground to lessen the impact, ,what's the equivalent in this one?

What does SHIFT do while running? I know you can use it to dodge left/right when in combat.
You can press or hold the skill roll button to quickly spring out of a high landing, but it's a skill you have to unlock. You can unlock it pretty early, maybe the first hour or two.

When running, the shift skill gets you up to speed faster. Basically if you do something slow, tap shift a few times to get full speed. I think there's a slight cooldown, so experiment. It replaces the sideways-jump-boost to start running from the first game.

Once you're at full speed, the city colors become more vibrant and the music should kick up.

Thank you for the great explanation.

I'm only 1 hour or so in it, and I have unlocked a skill, can't remember which one it was, but I do remember I could only unlock that specific skill.

I'm playing on a 980Ti at 1080p, and I chose ' hyper' setting for graphics.

I was just reading on Nvidia's website that hyper setting was made for the new 1080/70 cards with 8 gb of ram.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/mirrors-edge-catalyst-geforce-gtx-1080-1070-hyper-settings

Making full use of their blistering performance, and 8GB framebuffer, DICE is able to dramatically increase environmental detail and shadow quality on the new 10 Series graphics cards, and further improve the quality of reflections, visual effects, environmental maps, image based lighting, motion blur, and Resolution Scale’s downsampling. Classed as “Hyper” settings, these enhancements enable users to explore a richer, more detailed city on the very best PCs and graphics cards, delivering the definitive Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst experience.

I'm running it perfectly fine on my card, but they were saying pascal card for hyper setting at 1444p.

Maybe at 1080p it's possible to run hyper with just 6GB ram?

Am I correct, this game has a 24hr day/night cycle?

As I mentioned earlier, I'm still very early in, but I was just exploring around for a awhile and I'm certain I could see the environment lighting changing.

The players shadow resolution even on hyper doesn't look like it's using high res shadow map resolution.
I wonder if anyone who has pascal card playing on hyper can compare?

jettpack

Was this good? do we like this? I was thinking about picking it up for cheep later. My wallet/life is only allowing me to play dishonored 2 and deus ex 2 and maybe one other larger game for the rest of the year. got room for some small indie stuff.

Blizzard

Banned
Was this good? do we like this? I was thinking about picking it up for cheep later. My wallet/life is only allowing me to play dishonored 2 and deus ex 2 and maybe one other larger game for the rest of the year. got room for some small indie stuff.
I don't know about "we", but I loved the first game and thought the second was a worthy sequel.

As with the first game, opinions are rather sharply divided. Whether you enjoy it will probably depend on how much you enjoy the Mirror's Edge parkour feel and the game's visual style.

Blizzard

Banned
I unchecked gpu memory restrictions and it didn't look any different than having it enabled on hyper on 980ti.
I feel like it's more an experimental setting. It might improve pop-in, or maybe it makes certain distant textures better, but it also might randomly crash if you run out of memory.

If you can only afford one other large game for the rest of the year, this isn't it.

RedSwirl

Bought it on the current Origin sale ($35) and played it for just a bit. Overall I like it so far, but I understand why some people wouldn't be heaping praises on it. It makes a bit too many concessions to be mainstream but I think the unique core of the game still shines through.

Honestly, I think the open world is ultimately a net positive for Mirror's Edge. I haven't seen how it affects the main missions though, which I imagine are their own separately designed spaces. The whole point of the game is the traversal system which feels fun and unique, and more space is probably better for that. More importantly I think having an open world with side quests in it gives players more time to mess around with with the running system and really learn the game. The main problem with the first Mirror's Edge is that it's a six-hour story but it probably takes closer to 20 hours to really get good at the game. With a world map to mess around in and trials, people get more opportunity to hone their skills.

The combat is okay I guess. They at least tried to do something unique and when it works I kind of do feel like a martial arts badass. Making it dependent on the environment was a good call, and more importantly it's supposed to be quick. I understand though that the enemy AI had to be dumb as a brick to get this system to work. I thought the melee system in the first game had potential actually. I just hope that later on in Catalyst you get more opportunities to avoid enemies entirely.

The only thing I really don't like here is the upgrade system. I'm doing all the side missions I can to get the unlocks for the important abilities from the first game as fast as possible. I read DICE's explanation for doing this, but it still screams of trying to be like other popular games. There should have just been more tutorials for those abilities or something.

Lastly, I'm guessing some people didn't rate this game too highly because there is a bit of jank visible in it, more than most people are willing to accept in a 2016 $60 game from EA. Outside the main story cut scenes characters don't move around quite as smoothly as in an Uncharted game or something, I've already noticed glitches with pedestrians that look quirky but don't impact gameplay. There's still a bit of rough video game-ness just under the surface. I don't really mind that as long as it doesn't make playing the game feel worse.

Bought this two days ago and just finished it and I gotta say I'm really surprised, I ended up enjoying this more than I thought I would, I actually enjoyed this way more than the first one.

-The city looks amazing like holy shit the art style is just WOW, I kept taking tons of screenshots and The View district is just sooo beautiful. The visuals overall were very good. The only bad thing were the cutscenes they stuttered like hell, and wtf is that lip syncing it's so baaad that my brother was watching me play and asked is this dubbed ?
it is that bad.

- The story isn't that bad like most people said, it's definitely better than the first game and at least has more depth, buuut it could've been much much better.
Faith didn't speak all that much during the missions I couldn't really relate to her.

- The gameplay is very smooth and I feel that it was more than enough in the first game , I didn't like the upgrade system at all and felt it was very unnecessary.
The mag rope isn't exactly bad but
I didn't like how they used it in the last mission it's like they got lazy to design the level and just said fuck it use the mag rope

- Finally the best thing about the game: THE MUSIC. I can't stress enough how Solar fields nailed the music in this one , it is so fucking good. I stopped so many times just to hear the ambience and look at the city.
The View district soo good

Overall I'm having so much fun and this game and I still didn't do any side missions or anything other than the story mission which took me 3 hours to finish ? I found that weird since everybody said it was 8 hours so Idk what happened. The critics were very harsh on this one and thankfully I didn't listen to them. I hope to god we get another game after that damn ending.

I just started playing this over the weekend and am really enjoying it so far.
I love how hard some of the side delivery missions are and sometimes force you to find your own faster route.

Zojirushi

3starred all the dashes and left a little disappointed.

Besides finding the optimal route (which can be pretty annoying in an open world and I ended up looking up more routes than I would've liked since in an open world you can never be sure if you're at least close to an optimal path) I felt like it didn't really force me to use the full move set including some advanced combos to get to 3 stars.

It felt like once you know the route it was rather simple execution.

I could be remembering this wrong but I remember the OG ME time trials being more focused on executing on an advanced move set instead of just trial and error path finding.

-The city looks amazing like holy shit the art style is just WOW, I kept taking tons of screenshots and The View district is just sooo beautiful. The visuals overall were very good. The only bad thing were the cutscenes they stuttered like hell, and wtf is that lip syncing it's so baaad that my brother was watching me play and asked is this dubbed ?
it is that bad.

- The story isn't that bad like most people said, it's definitely better than the first game and at least has more depth, buuut it could've been much much better.
Faith didn't speak all that much during the missions I couldn't really relate to her.

- Finally the best thing about the game: THE MUSIC. I can't stress enough how Solar fields nailed the music in this one , it is so fucking good. I stopped so many times just to hear the ambience and look at the city.
The View district soo good

... I hope to god we get another game after that damn ending.

Agreed with basically everything you said. I didn't even finish the first game, but I really loved this game a lot. DICE sure know how to make graphics do the thing. I really liked the story, although I thought it was a bit weird how little impact Birdman had on the narrative, same with Nomad. And Dogen. Basically, I wish the main story was a bit longer, it felt like I was only just warming up to all the characters.

Oh man, the music. Solar Fields fucking nailed it, no doubt. I need another Mirror's Edge even if only for his godly input. Still holding out for a vinyl set. My favorite set of music has to be the Act 2 Downtown exploration music. Just amazing atmosphere building, absolutely incredible. The persistent drone in the background and somber chords just work.

NeoRaider

I got it for PC few days ago too. Only tried it for few minutes to test the performance and it runs great on Ultra settings with older drivers released before the came came out. Obviously i can't play it on Hyper settings but game looks great on Ultra too, much better than Beta.

Like i said before i wasn't impressed with Beta when i played it, i hated some things about it but hey... it's ME. Original game is in my TOP 10 of all time. Too bad i don't have enough time to play the game but soon i guess.

Blizzard

Banned
If I learned anything from the Mirror's Edge Catalyst beta, it's that DICE games have bad performance in beta but good performance even on mediocre systems on release. I'm pretty sure I heard the same thing happened with Battlefront.

yatesl

So I just got this from the Origin sale.

"Now Faith, you're out of jail as long as you behave."

Literally 30 seconds later she drops off "the grid" and is assaulting officers.

So I just got this from the Origin sale.

"Now Faith, you're out of jail as long as you behave."

Literally 30 seconds later she drops off "the grid" and is assaulting officers.
They try and catch her for the rest of the game tho... including immediately after she drops off the grid

Jesb

So I just grabbed this on origin last night, and I dont get what's going on. Origin said my download was finished, but when I start the game it's stuck on a splash screen. I see an arrow in the top right corner spinning, so is the game still downloading and origin is just being stupid with telling me game installed when it didn't finish yet.

I can't do anything on this screen, pressing any button does nothing.

stn

Got this recently on XBO, just started it last night. I'm digging the open world, the running is as fun as ever. Kind of shocked the game scored so low on some sites. I loved the original, for what its worth.

Spoit

Got this recently on XBO, just started it last night. I'm digging the open world, the running is as fun as ever. Kind of shocked the game scored so low on some sites. I loved the original, for what its worth.

There were some pretty valid complaints about it: the forced fighting sequences, how the focus on getting 60 FPS made it look like a last gen game on consoles.

But on the other hand, a lot of the complaints seemed like these people hadn't played ME1 since release; while there were a few good puzzle rooms, the vast majority of the levels there was following a pretty darn linear path while cops and choppers shot at you. ME2's set pieces really are better on a per-level basis. And while the combat isn't good, I don't think people remember just how bad it was in ME1 by comparison. And some were just flat out bizarre. Like, they were so freaking offended by the mere existence of collectables, that they didn't realize that you don't, in fact, need to get them all. IIRC they don't actually do much anyway?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Alright, so. I finished the game. I actually really, really liked it. Not as much as I liked Mirror's Edge (1?) but it's an interesting game that actually does Open World both right and wrong.

Wrong because it just barfs hundreds and hundreds of collectibles around the world, 99% of which have no use or purpose at all. Except to give you Exp which are a whole different problem. None of the items in the skill tree are actually fun or interesting, except the ones you actually need to properly play the game. Which is annoying. I want to do the Dashes but I might as well not bother unless I'm fully upgraded cause sometimes there is no way to get 3 stars wihout the magrope. Everything else? Boring and useless.

The story is just a long and boring fart. I love how the game felt like it was too obvious about
Isabel being Faith's sister
so it just dropped the revelation in a side comment with no fanfare whatsoever. I thought that was kinda funny, though maybe not intended. But who cares, the story in ME 1 was bad, so is the story in ME C. All the characters suck but it's not like I'm missing the CHARISMATIC characters from ME1 like...blond girl. And traitor guy. Or detective whitehair.

But here is what I think the game does incredibly right: ALL the story missions are seperate from the open world, own environements, specifically set up for the mission. All too often missions in open world games are just random stuff you do anyway while playing the game (Arkham Knight did a shitton of that). But here every mission is it's own little thing. You basically can play this game as a linear game if you want, and I appreciate that.

Anyway, I'm surprised how much I enjoy this game. The movement is just spot on which makes the simple act of running around the city just fun. I doubt we will ever see a Mirror's Edge 3 which is a shame cause I feel like they could so easily build on this game, iron out the bad parts and make a really, really amazing Mirror's Edge. But that will probably never happen.

Favorite part of this game was probably the OST. Solar Fields doing God's work and its a travesty EA hasn't organised a physical vinyl release. Would love a Mirror's Edge 3 one day, you just gotta have
hope
that EA feels the same.

Blizzard

Banned
Alright, so. I finished the game. I actually really, really liked it. Not as much as I liked Mirror's Edge (1?) but it's an interesting game that actually does Open World both right and wrong.

Wrong because it just barfs hundreds and hundreds of collectibles around the world, 99% of which have no use or purpose at all. Except to give you Exp which are a whole different problem. None of the items in the skill tree are actually fun or interesting, except the ones you actually need to properly play the game. Which is annoying. I want to do the Dashes but I might as well not bother unless I'm fully upgraded cause sometimes there is no way to get 3 stars wihout the magrope. Everything else? Boring and useless.

The story is just a long and boring fart. I love how the game felt like it was too obvious about
Isabel being Faith's sister
so it just dropped the revelation in a side comment with no fanfare whatsoever. I thought that was kinda funny, though maybe not intended. But who cares, the story in ME 1 was bad, so is the story in ME C. All the characters suck but it's not like I'm missing the CHARISMATIC characters from ME1 like...blond girl. And traitor guy. Or detective whitehair.

But here is what I think the game does incredibly right: ALL the story missions are seperate from the open world, own environements, specifically set up for the mission. All too often missions in open world games are just random stuff you do anyway while playing the game (Arkham Knight did a shitton of that). But here every mission is it's own little thing. You basically can play this game as a linear game if you want, and I appreciate that.

Anyway, I'm surprised how much I enjoy this game. The movement is just spot on which makes the simple act of running around the city just fun. I doubt we will ever see a Mirror's Edge 3 which is a shame cause I feel like they could so easily build on this game, iron out the bad parts and make a really, really amazing Mirror's Edge. But that will probably never happen.
I think this is a pretty reasonable assessment. Some will like the story and characters more, others less. But the big things that appealed to me about the original game -- the movement, the soundtrack, and the atmosphere -- are still there. I really think the movement in the new game may be better than the original. They left room for some high-level play while fixing the bunny hop exploit in the beta.

Of course, I'm assuming some new exploit didn't crop up since I played. :p

Esque7

Wrong because it just barfs hundreds and hundreds of collectibles around the world, 99% of which have no use or purpose at all. Except to give you Exp which are a whole different problem.

The gridnodes and secret bags were actually very good collectibles. Gridnodes work like coins in Mario games, i.e. they are there as a guide as you explore each area. If you pay attention, most of them show you different paths to take,or simply show you an area is accessible or a move should be used at a certain point. The secret bags were cool because they were like their own mini puzzles. It was quite rewarding to finally figure out how to get some of them. In regards to the chips though, those were indeed trash, Ubisoft style collectibles.

I just booted the OG game on my XBone through BC and I immediately noticed the gameplay was worse. Faith's movement, along with the combat were greatly improved in Catalyst and it's hard to go back now. I suppose the 30fps didn't help either.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I think this is a pretty reasonable assessment. Some will like the story and characters more, others less. But the big things that appealed to me about the original game -- the movement, the soundtrack, and the atmosphere -- are still there. I really think the movement in the new game may be better than the original. They left room for some high-level play while fixing the bunny hop exploit in the beta.

Totally. If you liked Mirror's Edge you will probably like Catalyst.
I'm a sucker for Parkour in games, I've played a loooooot of Dying Light and had a blast just running around, trying to just.....never stop and slow down. This is the same. The open world actually makes sense cause the movement feels so good. Sadly the soundtrack didn't do much for me this time, not saying it's bad though.

The gridnodes and secret bags were actually very good collectibles. Gridnodes work like coins in Mario games, i.e. they are there as a guide as you explore each area. If you pay attention, most of them show you different paths to take,or simply show you an area is accessible or a move should be used at a certain point. The secret bags were cool because they were like their own mini puzzles. It was quite rewarding to finally figure out how to get some of them. In regards to the chips though, those were indeed trash, Ubisoft style collectibles.

I just booted the OG game on my XBone through BC and I immediately noticed the gameplay was worse. Faith's movement, along with the combat were greatly improved in Catalyst and it's hard to go back now. I suppose the 30fps didn't help either.

Yeah, the gridnodes were fine. The chips, recordings and "secret documents" just felt like "Well, we gotta do something, right?" Especially cause those things went completely against the entire design of the game and required you to slow down or stop. The gridnodes were fine cause you could just collect them by running through them.

I'm contemplating pulling up a list and collecting all the documents and recordings now though, they are the only achievments left. Might as well finish what I've started.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I'm really hoping a sequel gets made. I bought it some months ago even though I can't even play it yet. It would have been wrong for me to not support the game after it being on #1 wishlist for like 8 years.

Games like Gears 4 didn't count because I knew a new one would come without a doubt, I was really unsure back then if a ME sequel would come, but I wanted one so bad.

Yeah I see it, reminds me of what was happening in the beta but I don't think it was in release for me. Although the clothes were quite buggy in general and had rather stilted movement.

Esque7

Totally. If you liked Mirror's Edge you will probably like Catalyst.
I'm a sucker for Parkour in games, I've played a loooooot of Dying Light and had a blast just running around, trying to just.....never stop and slow down. This is the same. The open world actually makes sense cause the movement feels so good. Sadly the soundtrack didn't do much for me this time, not saying it's bad though.

Yeah, the gridnodes were fine. The chips, recordings and "secret documents" just felt like "Well, we gotta do something, right?" Especially cause those things went completely against the entire design of the game and required you to slow down or stop. The gridnodes were fine cause you could just collect them by running through them.

I'm contemplating pulling up a list and collecting all the documents and recordings now though, they are the only achievments left. Might as well finish what I've started.

I wasn't too big on the soundtrack at first, but listening to it on spotify really helped my appreciate it more. "The View District" and "The Shard" songs are amazing, although you'll need a good amount of time to listen to them.

Blizzard

Banned
I wasn't too big on the soundtrack at first, but listening to it on spotify really helped my appreciate it more. "The View District" and "The Shard" songs are amazing, although you'll need a good amount of time to listen to them.
I'm listening through the soundtrack while working, and it is indeed great in places. "Anchor District" totally caught me by surprise since I don't remember that track ingame.

I am actually really enjoying this but I am doing the thing I do with skill trees in all games and essentially holding off upgrading anything as im worried about upgrading the wrong thing

I did unlock roll and 180 turn - as the game seems unplayable without them - I also picked up one more block of health for the forced combat :(

What else is a priority to unlock?

I am enjoying the game which is fantastic as I went in crazy skeptical - some of the magic seems to be lost but I would really need to replay the original to know how much of my opinion is just rose tinted glasses

Blizzard

Banned
Unlock all movement abilities first in my opinion. Then combat if you need it, or whenever you get points. It should be impossible to get stuck, and you'll eventually have 100% of the upgrades.

Top Bottom