• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst |OT| Keeping the Faith Alive

Hey thanks! Appreciate the advice!

I also wanted to ask, in terms of the overworld, am I right in reading that at a certain point in the story enemies/ helis start spawning to chase you down during free roam?

Any idea what the point of no return is there? I think I'll get through the bulk of the side stuff before I hit that point!

Yes, at a certain point in the story you get chased by enemies when you're spotted. Don't know anymore at what point though.

I loved the game by the way, even did like the combat.
Really hope they still bring out a PRO patch but I doubt it...

Still one of the most underrated games. I liked the first one but I love the second one!
I agree. The only negative I kind of give the game is that though the hub world concept was good on paper the execution of it in this game is kind of meh. The actual story mission levels themselves bar 1 or 2 of them are fun and to me much more unique compared to the first game.

*Splinter

I am actually really enjoying this but I am doing the thing I do with skill trees in all games and essentially holding off upgrading anything as im worried about upgrading the wrong thing

I did unlock roll and 180 turn - as the game seems unplayable without them - I also picked up one more block of health for the forced combat :(

What else is a priority to unlock?

I am enjoying the game which is fantastic as I went in crazy skeptical - some of the magic seems to be lost but I would really need to replay the original to know how much of my opinion is just rose tinted glasses
It's been a while since I played but I think I just got all the movement upgrades first. The others (I don't remember what they are tbh) make things like combat a bit easier but aren't essential/don't change the game much.

Edit: oops another page.

I don't know what point triggers more guards around the city, but they aren't too obnoxious as long as you keep moving. You can always jump to your death to get them off your case, and I think there's an upgrade that lets you destroy cameras around the city which is worth doing (guards will come to investigate the broken cameras, but they are slow to arrive and cameras don't respawn).

Codiox

I agree. The only negative I kind of give the game is that though the hub world concept was good on paper the execution of it in this game is kind of meh. The actual story mission levels themselves bar 1 or 2 of them are fun and to me much more unique compared to the first game.

The last part of the open world was so amazing. All these nice flats with designer interior. Could spent hours just looking at the architecture. I think it was some kind of Harbour with skyscrapers around it?

This plus the music makes a so good atmosphere for me. Awesome.

Blizzard

Banned

I also wanted to ask, in terms of the overworld, am I right in reading that at a certain point in the story enemies/ helis start spawning to chase you down during free roam?

Any idea what the point of no return is there? I think I'll get through the bulk of the side stuff before I hit that point!
I'll echo the protip that you can jump off buildings to get rid of random guards. You won't be wanted when you respawn. And yeah once you get a zapper you can start breaking cameras.

The last part of the open world was so amazing. All these nice flats with designer interior. Could spent hours just looking at the architecture. I think it was some kind of Harbour with skyscrapers around it?

This plus the music makes a so good atmosphere for me. Awesome.
I should have clarified with the meh. The beautiful architecture in particular as you mentioned with the harbor segment are amazing to look at and take a rest from running around to take in. It is just after a while to reach certain missions/objectives on the main hub you have to trek through the same route's the majority of the time and thus it gets kind of bland after a while.

Codiox

I should have clarified with the meh. The beautiful architecture in particular as you mentioned with the harbor segment are amazing to look at and take a rest from running around to take in. It is just after a while to reach certain missions/objectives on the main hub you have to trek through the same route's the majority of the time and thus it gets kind of bland after a while.

For me this is no problem at all because I really like the game play and movement, so I'm looking for any opportunities to just run around in this clean, futuristic world, finding new paths. I think you could even give me some mirrors edge learning school game and I would even liked it because I love this Artstyle and world.

cooldawn

I completed this today. Needed to stay in development a little longer methinks.

The world is fine and the traversal is fine overall too...if a little finicky (mega-precise at times, and sometimes not). The story was OK too.

The combat and pacing is awful though.

Light attacks are useless. Heavy attacks open you up for a battering. Those 'heavy' enemies have game-breaking combo's by way of a hit causing you to tumble backwards without any chance to escape the incoming punch or kick i.e. possible death without a viable out.

Why do this?

As the story unfolds enemies appear around the city, which sounds reasonable...until it affects gameplay. Fleeing the scene is easy but on entering a new area it would be nice to be able to learn the layout rather than be forced to make a dash in whatever direction seems the most appropriate. Ending up in an unfamiliar spot without any real sense of direction (there's no compass!) and trying to get back on-track amongst the buildings that are either to high to traverse or to far apart means you have to spend ages re-tracing steps to hopefully get back to square one or go out of your way by swinging from one section to another and then back again somewhere, sometime.

It's barmy. They should have let players find their feet before hitting the gas.

Finally the visuals seem like a step back. I remember Mirrors Edge on the PS3 being really nice to look at...vivid/bold...but here the textures on buildings across the way don't even load so I'm left with looking at a low-resolution textures. It's amazing how bad the engine/streaming is in this game considering the pedigree.

I'm playing on a PS4 Pro to boot so it's not a has-been HDD.

So disappointed.

Gitaroo

Just a HDR patch?

for PC, also Dolby Atmos, but that seems very unlikely consider the game probably didn't generate enough money for the extra liscence fee. HDR is possible, since DICE will probably include that in their engine with BF1.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
How can I get this goddamn bag?

TzDhizT.jpg

QzI8mAJ.jpg
I can't remove the obstacle and I do have the tool for this :(

Nerix

On offer in the EU store for 11 EUR (with PS+ discount). That seems to be a really low price.

As someone who liked the first game, would you recommend to jump in for that price? Have read lots of negative things.. What is the playtime?

conman

On offer in the EU store for 11 EUR (with PS+ discount). That seems to be a really low price.

As someone who liked the first game, would you recommend to jump in for that price? Have read lots of negative things.. What is the playtime?
I am a huge fan of the first game and was one of its few early vocal proponents. But there was very little in Catalyst that I found appealing. It shares the broad strokes, but none of the level design and sharp mechanics of the original. It kind of looks and plays the same, but otherwise, it feels like a cheap imitation that totally missed what made the first so good.

IMO it's less about being worth the money and more about the time. My time was worth more than the $15 I spent. As a fellow fan of the first, I'd say pass and find something else. There are too many great games out there for you to bother with merely okay ones.

Nerix

IMO it's less about being worth the money and more about the time. My time was worth more than the $15 I spent.
That's a good point, I thought about that as well. Lots of good games, and not the time to play them all... Sometimes it's hard to make your choices.

I think it's an excellent game and easily one of my top 10 from 2016

gorgeous visuals, exhilarating gameplay, excellent level design, jawdropping soundtrack

idk what else people wanted from it

Esque7

I'd recommend it. I've put more time into it than the original. The game has its fair share of problems but I find some unwarranted. Faith's movement is also improved over the first game, to the point where I find it hard to go back.

peakish

gorgeous visuals, exhilarating gameplay, excellent level design, jawdropping soundtrack

Well, since you asked and I'm playing through it right now...

It's uneven as all hell. For every exhilarating running sequence there's one frustrating or boring. The mainline missions are mostly good to great but all side missions are terrible (except the few grid points that are available, they're really good). The "open world" (hub) is bland in all ways with one exception (The View is a good area) and you're running over it all the time even if you fast travel. The combat is terrible and besides it sometimes being required a failed encounter might you way back to a previous area which means you have to traverse a bland route again and again getting back to it. All equipment upgrades are bad and there's no point at all to the upgrade system.

The base game is still very good but I wish they were focusing more on just creating more and better levels instead of extraneous stuff like upgrades, a hub world, and bad side missions and collectibles. Just give me good platforming.

A good point is that the rebellion is the best dressed one I've seen in any media. Everyone is stylin' hard~

GavinUK86

It's an alright game, but pales in comparison to the first. Everything they changed for the "reboot" they messed around with too much and spoiled it. Worth that price though. (I bought the CE)

Blizzard

Banned
I am a huge fan of the first game and was one of its few early vocal proponents. But there was very little in Catalyst that I found appealing. It shares the broad strokes, but none of the level design and sharp mechanics of the original. It kind of looks and plays the same, but otherwise, it feels like a cheap imitation that totally missed what made the first so good.

IMO it's less about being worth the money and more about the time. My time was worth more than the $15 I spent. As a fellow fan of the first, I'd say pass and find something else. There are too many great games out there for you to bother with merely okay ones.
I'll provide my own opinion as contrast.

I was a huge fan of the first game, and I voted for Catalyst as my game of the year. It definitely has flaws, like the first game, but the parkour gameplay and FEEL are unparalleled. The soundtrack is great, and the visuals are gorgeous in parts.

I'd definitely say it's worth checking out if you enjoyed the parkour of the original and want a bigger environment. The weakest parts are certain aspects of the story, certain optional challenges (but the gridnode puzzles are worth doing), and a few combat sections.

It's an alright game, but pales in comparison to the first. Everything they changed for the "reboot" they messed around with too much and spoiled it. Worth that price though. (I bought the CE)
I recently listened through the original's soundtrack, and with the exception of "Kate" and maybe the ending theme, I feel like the soundtrack is actually better in Catalyst. It's the same composer.

Also, I think the parkour feel was improved. Climbing is smoother and you don't have to do the side glitch anymore.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo

Same here.

I also want to say this - I've seen like from a mile away and before the game even released these stupid ass side missions and I never touched even one of them in my first playthrough - cuz they are stupid, generic as fuck shit and have no place in this game. I mean it. This game has just the right amount of content without this shit. I'm not talking about character's side mission even though some of them was just as bad or just stupid and not fun, I do mean these delivery mission and other similar shit. If any of you still haven't played this game, stay away from non-character side mission and you'll save yourself a lot of time and the game will be much better.

There's also other problems like... well, they've removed some of the combat and parcour elements of the previous game and made the combat and parcour less fun is some ways. Why in the hell I can't punch the balls now? The fuck, DICE? Why in the hell attacks from the low ground like slide kick or punch is basically useless? Why in the hell I can't use a shoulder / slide to kick off a door and countinue running without loosing focus like in the first game? Also, why there's no counter or combo moves? Why can't you block attacks and why there's so many boring dudes in the game with a shit tone of health again - It is not fun in any way, DICE! It wasn't in the first game and it's not in the new one. Stop it! I also hate dudes with guns a lot.

Beyond that and a few other not so terrible problems, this game is sure as hell one of my favorite games of the last year. There's simply nothing else like it and the first game came out 9 years ago. I liked the story and characters a lot (both of these was non existant in the first game), I really liked the excellently realized world with distinct districts and style for each ot them, I really liked relaxing and almost meditational atmosphere and amazing OST from Solar Fields and I even like the combat and parcour.... just overall and despite some problems.

Goddamn, I whish the games such as this was more common and came out at least ones in 2-3 years. I'm so tired from serious and grim as hell stuff. I need more relaxing, atmospheric, silly and fun big budget games cuz the world around us is fucked up and I don't need to see the same or equivalent level of shit in big budget games too and so often like we have now. Please, stop! More games like Mirror's Edge! More games like Sunset Overdrive! More games like PVZ: Garden Warfare (just not as MP titles)! More games like Saints Row The Third! More games like Yooka-Laylee! More games like.... well, you got the idea.

Hail to Mirror's Edge: Catalyst!

peakish

Beyond that and a few other not so terrible problems, this game is sure as hell one of my favorite games of the last year. There's simply nothing else like it and the first game came out 9 years ago. I liked the story and characters a lot (both of these was non existant in the first game), I really liked the excellently realized world with distinct districts and style for each ot them, I really liked relaxing and almost meditational atmosphere and amazing OST from Solar Fields and I even like the combat and parcour.... just overall and despite some problems.

Goddamn, I whish the games such as this was more common and came out at least ones in 2-3 years. I'm so tired from serious and grim as hell stuff. I need more relaxing, atmospheric, silly and fun big budget games cuz the world around us is fucked up and I don't need to see the same or equivalent level of shit in big budget games too and so often like we have now. Please, stop! More games like Mirror's Edge! More games like Sunset Overdrive! More games like PVZ: Garden Warfare (just not as MP titles)! More games like Saints Row The Third! More games like Yooka-Laylee! More games like.... well, you got the idea.

Although my last post was very negative I still largely like the game for this. There's nothing else out there which does this and it's incredibly fun when you hit the zen of running around. There was a moment yesterday when I spring jumped onto the roof of a walkway between buildings and when I glanced a couple of civilians moving inside of it I got hit with this intense feeling of actually playing as a free bird.

jdstorm

Banned

You unlock the ability to blast the camera's that start the chases. So you can save that stuff for the endgame. Chases also become simple once your combat abilities are upgraded so its mostly easier to do it later.

Edit: also Titanfall 2 is basically Mirrors Edge with more shooting. If you love the series its worth picking up that game too

i bought the game recently because it was only like 12 bucks. it feels so half-assed. i think it would've been better if they stuck to the more linear, non-open world style like in the first game.

Just finished it after getting it for Christmas, and I really really enjoyed it. I was a big fan of the original but it definitley felt like the tech demo for something greater. I don't think it hits the full scope of what it could but Catalyst finally transfers that spirit of the original into what feels much more like a full game to me.

The open world is refreshing, as it ends up forcing you to use the park our system more and more and really get good at finding shortcuts and easy way to shoot through to he terrain.

The removal of guns is a huge plus, bringing the combat around to focus on momentum ties in with the rest of to game much better than the hehe first one. It feels like the most incomplete part of the game as combat felt really awkare with a large enough group of enemies, but it's a much better direction.

The story was also a step up I feel. Still some nonsense going on here and a bit too much of a case of Big Bad Plan You Need To Stop syndrome, but having actual 3D cutscenes in mirror's edge was sublime, plus a far more engaging and varied cast than the first one. I think they could explore them all a bit more but there was a much more real world here this time. Black November, Dogen, the Runners, this felt much more like a fleshed out city.

I'd love to see a continuation from here. I find it to be a huge jump from the first game and would love to see even more of the flaws ironed out and more of new ways of using the movement system experimented with.

xrnzaaas

I got the game in the January PSN sale. Good fun for this price, I enjoy running around the city, but my reaction to most dashes, Plastic's missions and collectibles is...
Chi-McBride-Oh-Hell-No.gif

I won't even try to get the harder trophies, just explore some more, finish the main story and that's it.

Blizzard

Banned
I got the game in the January PSN sale. Good fun for this price, I enjoy running around the city, but my reaction to most dashes, Plastic's missions and collectibles is...

I won't even try to get the harder trophies, just explore some more, finish the main story and that's it.
Plastics missions are the gridnode puzzle towers, right? I'm surprised since most people seemed to love those. They were tight, indoor, dedicated puzzle climbing levels.

SilentRob

I really don't understand where this comparison is coming from. A big problem with Calatyst is how serious and grim it is. It takes itself incredibly seriously, spending quite a lot of time with very serious people talking with each other very seriously about very serious stuff. But the writing is so incredibly bad and clichéd that none of it worked.

If this game would actually go the route of games like Sunset Overdrive or even Yooka-Laylee it would be a great thing. But that's not at all the case. It's very grim, it's very self-important and it's incredibly boring and lame in that regard.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I really don't understand where this comparison is coming from. A big problem with Calatyst is how serious and grim it is. It takes itself incredibly seriously, spending quite a lot of time with very serious people talking with each other very seriously about very serious stuff. But the writing is so incredibly but and clichéd that none of it worked.

If this game would actually go the route of games like Sunset Overdrive or even Yooka-Laylee it would be a great thing. But that's not at all the case. It's very grim, it's very self-important and it's incredibly boring and lame in that regard.
I'm not talking about story and grim stuff here, cuz ultimately it's really not all that important... well, at least to me. I see this game in a very different light, just like the original.

The fact of the matter is, everything regarding the story / characters and all that - much better than in the original even though not perfect by any means, but everything else is (in my eyes) and that's what matters to me the most. The world, atmosphere, amazing soundtrack, gameplay... I just like to be and live in this amazingly crafted city of glass, which is an absolute opposite of the world in which we currently live in. I miss this in other games, 80% of which are serious and grim as F.

xrnzaaas

Plastics missions are the gridnode puzzle towers, right? I'm surprised since most people seemed to love those. They were tight, indoor, dedicated puzzle climbing levels.

I ended up finishing all of Plastic's missions, but only because they're short. The gridnodes imo weren't such a pain in the ass except for the last one (the one that included quickly getting to pulled blocks). I cursed the most with the billboards though, especially because I tried to get to all of them without relying on any guides. ;)

Karu

Finished it a week or two ago and up until the last three missions I really enjoyed it, then all of that came to an aprupt halt and I learned to hate everything about it. The combat encounters get weirdly irritating and annoying to a point were I almost deleted the game straight up. People just shooting you from all sites, destroying any movement momentum, it was just uuuuuugh. And that one timed mission to activate these towers can be equally frustrating. It left such a sour taste in my mouth, I probably won't remember the fun I had just traversing the city and having a jolly good time bouncing around. Oh well...

Edit: I thought the story was fine in the beginning, but it literally went nowhere. Suuuuuper weird.

xrnzaaas

So I'm finally done with the story missions and it was a pretty disappointing experience overall. They built an interesting world this time around, but didn't have a good idea for the story in the game. I agree that you can feel that it led nowhere. Also the revelation about
Isabel
wasn't a revelation at all, because you saw it coming for a long long time.

Parkouring, enjoying the views and listening to a great soundtrack are the best parts of the game. And probably the only ones truly good.

Ossom

Just finished this. Great use of my free month of EA access. I love the feel and aesthetic of the world. I avoided pretty much all side quests and whilst I started out collecting items at the beginning I did skip these later on as new areas kept popping up with massive lists of more items.

The game flowed well and using quick travel when available meant that it was a relatively short experience and I didn't burn out running back and forth across the map.

I think it is a dissapointment as to how this game sold (I assume that it didn't do too well). It improves on the first title and faith is a strong lead with a depth of character and back story.

Just started playing this game. I did have a go at the alpha/beta before.

I just came to the conclusion that the soundtrack slider is set way to low. Pumping that shit up and multiplies the awesome atmosphere of the game.

Blizzard

Banned
Just started playing this game. I did have a go at the alpha/beta before.

I just came to the conclusion that the soundtrack slider is set way to low. Pumping that shit up and multiplies the awesome atmosphere of the game.
It's especially good when you're doing a time trial or something and you hit max speed. The colors shift into full vibrancy and the soundtrack kicks up if I recall correctly.

Disgraced

Snatched this during the EA sale on Live. It has serious issues alright, but I've had a damn good time with it—my money's worth, certainly.

Made some GIFs too. Only embedding one to save ya data.

https://media.giphy.com/media/xUA7b6PfvSGc3vPKGA/giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0IydbWOY5E4Uw21W/giphy.gif

Was considering using them for a LTTP I'd write, but I don't have the fire in me. And so, if somebody else writes one some time, and you want some cool shit (at least, I think they're kind of cool) to show off, here ya go.

Oozer3993

I did just about everything in the PS4 version of this game at release. Beat the story, finished all the side missions, collected all the Grid leaks, and kicked the crap out of the dashes. And yet I couldn't stop myself from downloading it on Xbox One (thanks EA Access!) and beating it again. And finishing all the side missions again. And smacking around all the dashes again. I think I have a problem.

P.S. This game looks amazing on an OLED.

jdstorm

Banned
Cross posting from a Mass Effect thread. People have been doing good work on the Asian character models with the character creator. These two versions of FemRyder struck me as looking like updated versions of the origional Mirrors Edge's Faith and Kate Connors.

HRJ1T2Y.jpg

Came out pretty good I think.

Actually how hard would it be to Mod these models into Mirrors Edge Catalyst?

Just finished, got it for 10 dollars in a PSN sale and it was well worth that. The grappling hook didn't ruin the game nearly as much as I thought it would. Yeah there's a ton of open world shit but it can all be ignored and you still get a game with more hours of main story than the first. Combat while not great, or even good is still miles ahead of the first in what it intends to do. No gunplay and you can still easily breeze through enemies while retaining momentum. Also I turned runner vision off completely as soon as I could and with the exception of like 2 instances I never even needed it, can't imagine playing the game with it on let alone the full vision. No wonder it got 6's and middling impressions. Soundtrack is also good too and retains the feel of the original.

My main problems with it though are

- routes between districts are too few, i hate how there's like 2 or so bridges and that's it, made me appreciate fast travel a lot more than I should have for a game about free running

- the dashes/delivery missions are wayyy too many and clog up the screen a lot, would have also liked them to be accessible in a seperate menu as well

- ending is a total sequel bait cock block, didn't care about the story really but still

- the level design of the last level was kinda crappy, most of it was just jumping between the poles or riding all the way up with the grappling hook

- plastic is annoying as hell and really prevalent, her side missions aren't too hot either

- is there no way to adjust the time of day after beating it? That would suck immensely if so

- where was Chvrches' Warning Call during the game or even credits? :(

also yeah I adjusted the sound sliders so the soundtrack got a boost, a bit too low by default. I also recommend turning up the camera sensitivity a bit for ps4 at least, so you don't have to rely on quickturns as much. You don't really need precision aiming in this game, general direction is better.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
This is on sale for 9.99 at Origin this weekend. I'm really enjoying it, but I wish there was more background music. Soundtrack never seems to play.

Top Bottom