• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst (PC/PS4/XB1, Reboot, DICE, Q1 2016) officially announced

BasilZero

Got this in email few moments ago.

Havent played the first one but I have it though.

Will get this one since it is a reboot.

You consider ICO and Shadow of the Colossus mediocre games?

Mirror's edge was a very cool game and idea.

Nah, not really mediocre. They have a small, dedicated following but I think that makes a group of people yelling about the game being AMAZING when it was just good. ME was good too but not great.

ME is a stranger case IMO. IF they were going to make this it should have been years ago.

Why enter the thread and post if you don't care at all about the game or the franchise? There's really no reason to do that.
I saw the thread and realized both games have a very similar path to potential release. ME was a good game (more average I'd say) but it was never the game people have been screaming about for 7 years.

Sorry, I don't consider Mediocre to be such a terrible term. I should have said average.

Is this the greatest day ever for development challenged, unneeded follow ups to mediocre games?
u2LSXHC.gif

How big is the DICE team to develop SW BF and this game? I also suppose that battlefield 5 is in early stages.

Also, I heard that Anita worked in this game, is this true?

Orayn

How big is the DICE team to develop SW BF and this game? I also suppose that battlefield 5 is in early stages.

Also, I heard that Anita worked in this game, is this true?

IIRC this has a much smaller team than anything else DICE is doing, which is part of the reason it's taken so long to materialize.

Also, no. Anita Sarkeesian is not involved in Mirror's Edge 2, that's just some silly thing a bunch of GGers convinced themselves of because they're in constant need of a feminist boogey(wo)man taking over video games.

Faith...really doesn't look all that different to me? Well, I mean, yeah, I'll acknowledge that there is a difference, but people are acting like she's totally unrecognizable? I don't think she is. Design is fine to me.

no man it's a total character assassination. the richly developed character of "girl of mixed Asian ethnicity who parkours and has a sister she needs to save from GeneroCorp Ltd.". they've completely ruined the foundations of what made Faith such an imminently personable, well-rounded and fully explored female protagonist. her and that other blonde chick whats-her-face.

D: Ok, fair enough poor choice of words. I considered ME to be totally average. A good concept that didn't really get made as well as it good. It was never popular enough to become a franchise and a very dedicate group of fans have been freaking out to get another one of forever.

Ennosuke

no man it's a total character assassination. the richly developed character of "girl of mixed Asian ethnicity who parkours and has a sister she needs to save from GeneroCorp Ltd.". they've completely ruined the foundations of what made Faith such an imminently personable, well-rounded and fully explored female protagonist. her and that other blonde chick whats-her-face.

Celeste.

You are welcome.

D: Ok, fair enough poor choice of words. I considered ME to be totally average. A good concept that didn't really get made as well as it good. It was never popular enough to become a franchise and a very dedicate group of fans have been freaking out to get another one of forever.

Well, it was one of my top 5 games of last generation. Besides Just Cause 3, this is my most anticipated game THIS generation. But hey, I suppose we should just be more excited with "Call of Duty: Bro Gon Get Your Mother a shotty shot with LiL B in the hood part 3" and "Battlefield 5: Maybe this time we'll get it right from the beginning.

Well, it was one of my top 5 games of last generation. Besides Just Cause 3, this is my most anticipated game THIS generation. But hey, I suppose we should just be more excited with "Call of Duty: Bro Gon Get Your Mother a shotty shot with LiL B in the hood part 3" and "Battlefield 5: Maybe this time we'll get it right from the beginning.

Why the fuck would I want to play those? COD4 modern warfare was the death of the shooter and I've never played another once since. ME is lucky to get another game after all this time. It's not often a game holds in concept development for this long and gets a release. You should enjoy it but understand why it took this long to get one made.

DOWN

Banned
No platforms announced?

No hype until 100% confirmation this is not a mobile game. There is -nothing- in that release that proves it's a console/PC game.

They already showed the footage of it. It's traditional console/PC

I'm so excited

I hope the combat this time doesn't break up the flow too much though. I would've taken it out completely but if they've managed to make it not feel like it's just getting in the way then it could be interesting.

ZeroGravity

Yikes, her redesign looks awful. She really used to stand out in a crowd of awful Western-designed female characters...and now it just looks like all the rest.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm really looking forward to this, but I hope it feels a lot like ME did, except for the gun gameplay, which I hope they get rid of completely.

As long as there is more gameplay, I'm sure I'll like it. ME was one of those games I just wish never ended.

charsace

Ecstatic as Mirror's Edge is legit one of my favorite games of last generation warts and all.

I do think I prefer the design of Faith in the first game relative to what they've shown thus far.

18j50c7ongh6rjpg.jpg

She's still Asian in the new artwork but they've toned her features down. Which is ashame as I always felt she was one of the more unique main character designs in gaming. Maybe I'm completely wrong though as we've only seen very few tidbits of this new game.

Asians seemed to have hated her look and thought she was ugly. Maybe that's why they changed her look?

KiraXD

Can't wait for this hot new online FPS. Titanfall with free-running instead of jet packs!

FPS? wasnt it more of a First Person Brawler... with no focus on Shooting whatsoever?

Hope youre being sarcastic... online would be absolutely horrible for this title... it wouldnt bring ANYthing innovative or fun...

dramatis

Asians seemed to have hated her look and thought she was ugly. Maybe that's why they changed her look?
Keep in mind it was probably a bunch of Asian dudes who whined and then mocked up a Faith with bigger eyes and bigger boobs. I would dismiss their complaints.

But those complaining that Faith had her "Asian features toned down" are also plenty wrong, because the 'Asian features' they think of are just Western stereotypes of Asian features.

charsace

Keep in mind it was probably a bunch of Asian dudes who whined and then mocked up a Faith with bigger eyes and bigger boobs. I would dismiss their complaints.

But those complaining that Faith had her "Asian features toned down" are also plenty wrong, because the 'Asian features' they think of are just Western stereotypes of Asian features.

She still has Asian features. Just not the Lucy Liu-ish features.

Top Bottom