• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst PC specs revealed (min:i3-3250/Win7 64bit/650 Ti/6GB Ram)

kami_sama

I pass the recommended specs on the CPU side, but no on the GPU one. Loke every AAA release recently, really. Will see how it works on the beta.
7970 is the recommended AMD GPU so you're excellent.
I have a 7950, so I might be able to play it at least in high then.

Maxey

lol, 16gb for recommended. I bet 8gb will still be more than enough to run it.

BTW, do we know what res and fps the consoles gonna be running this?

lol, 16gb for recommended. I bet 8gb will still be more than enough to run it.

BTW, do we know what res and fps the consoles gonna be running this?

It uses 6 gigs on min settings. People don't read. It uses more than 8 for higher settings. Thus why 16 is recommended.

You aren't going to buy 5-6 gb ram sticks

I don't know why 16 gb is laughable. Everyone should have at least 16 gb if you want to play new games.

diaspora

I remember when some claim that no PC game could ever require 512mb of system ram because back then consoles had 512mb total.

The different architectures might mean different ram utilization.

It's not about architectures as much as it is that the PC SKUs just might have more going on like having by default significantly better LOD.

Hoo boy, I guess I'll be getting this on console then because I'm barely above the minimum. Couldn't even hit the recommended specs with a new build on my max possible budget.

Nzyme32

Neat minimum.

Interesting recommended. Depends on what they are actually pushing with that spec, which isn't really clear right now

Cels

R9 280x is on the same recommended level as a freaking 970? NICE. That's the same thing as a 7970, a card from 2012 doing just as good as Nvidia's 3rd best card.

it's pretty weird. the reverse of witcher 3, where GTX 770 and R9 290 were the recommended cards. R9 290 >> GTX 770

R9 280x is on the same recommended level as a freaking 970? NICE. That's the same thing as a 7970, a card from 2012 doing just as good as Nvidia's 3rd best card.

When I got my GTX 780, it was easily outperforming a 290. That obviously didn't last long. AMD cards have definitely demonstrated better longevity

I don't understand people with sweet Haswell/Skylake CPUs and 980s but 8GB RAM.

Alot of PC gaf people were recommending 8gb ram and suggesting spending the money elsewhere

TSM

At this point anyone building gaming rig should be looking at 16GB of ram and 6GB vram. 8GB of ram and/or 4GB of vram are going to bottleneck you on console ports going forward.

napata

Just like Battlefront. That also recommended 16gb and had a minimum requirement of 8gb.

starwars_ram.jpg

starwars_ram2.jpg

Really don't understand why so many people bother with these specs. I do wonder why they put them so high when it isn't necessary at all.

dr_rus

Just like Battlefront. That also recommended 16gb and had a minimum requirement of 8gb.

starwars_ram.jpg

starwars_ram2.jpg

Really don't understand why so many people bother with these specs. I do wonder why they put them so high when it isn't necessary at all.

With 6.5GB of consumption for the game alone 16GB are necessary as the next step down would be 8 and 1.5GB for OS is just not enough. It's also an open world game and chances are that it'll cache a lot into the memory, and while it'll still be possible to play with 6-8GB the stuttering and choppiness will be pretty severe probably. SWBF isn't the best example here.

napata

With 6.5GB of consumption for the game alone 16GB are necessary as the next step down would be 8 and 1.5GB for OS is just not enough. It's also an open world game and chances are that it'll cache a lot into the memory, and while it'll still be possible to play with 6-8GB the stuttering and choppiness will be pretty severe probably. SWBF isn't the best example here.

Huh? Didn't you see the first graph? The game consumption is 3gb and total system consumption is 6.5gb.

Also 1.5gb is more than enough for an OS. These graphs even show it. On a 6gb you see 4.7gb of ram usage which means the OS is only using 1.7gb. My idle ram usage is less than 1gb. You're seriously overestimating the amount of RAM the OS requires or your system is bloated. Though with 16gb your idle ram usage is probably a bit higher.

Also do open worlds really need more ram and vram? Seriously this seems like a common belief and it seems logical but from my own experience this just doesn't seem to be the case. Now I don't play all AAA games but the last open world game I played was the W3 and it only used 3.5gb.

I used Battlefront because it just shows how wrong these specs are.

Durante

I just upgraded to 32 GB RAM (so I can always keep the UE4 editor, Blender, Visual Studio and Firefox open without issues while playing Dark Souls 3) :p

nkarafo

It's funny how the RAM requirements get doubled. From 1 to 2, then 4, 8, 16, etc.

As if you can't have anything in between those numbers. And seriously, is the game even going to be close of using those 16GBs? I doubt it will use more than 10 max. So why not recommending, say, 12GB? You could have 2 sticks of 4GB and add one more, it's perfectly possible. You don't have to go double the amount (unless you really want dual channel).

dr_rus

Huh? Didn't you see the first graph? The game consumption is 3gb and total system consumption is 6.5gb.

Also 1.5gb is more than enough for an OS. These graphs even show it. On a 6gb you see 4.7gb of ram usage which means the OS is only using 1.7gb. My idle ram usage is less than 1gb. You're seriously overestimating the amount of RAM the OS requires or your system is bloated. Though with 16gb your idle ram usage is probably a bit higher.

Also do open worlds really need more ram and vram? Seriously this seems like a common belief and it seems logical but from my own experience this just doesn't seem to be the case. Now I don't play all AAA games but the last open world game I played was the W3 and it only used 3.5gb.

I used Battlefront because it just shows how wrong these specs are.

I have severe doubts about this being the total system memory consumption as it seems way too low. More likely that this is the RAM consumption with the same or even bigger amount of memory pages being in the pagefile.

I have 3.6GB committed right now on an 8GB machine running some Outlook, Firefox and a couple of utilities. I find it hard to believe that SWBF would consume only 3GBs more as most modern games I've seen tend to consume somewhere between 8 and 12 GBs by themselves, without the OS.

OS can "use" 0GB - means that it'll just swap constantly as it'll be using pagefile as "RAM".

nkarafo

I have 16GB and my idle OS consumption on startup is 1.5GB.

Also, the requirements should not take into account that you are running other RAM intensive programs like Firefox or other browsers, that don't have anything to do with the game. At best, they could take into account programs like Afterburner and other utilities that aid the game. These don't take much RAM anyway.

Top Bottom