• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst PC specs revealed (min:i3-3250/Win7 64bit/650 Ti/6GB Ram)

napata

I have severe doubts about this being the total system memory consumption as it seems way too low. More likely that this is the RAM consumption with the same or even bigger amount of memory pages being in the pagefile.

I have 3.6GB committed right now on an 8GB machine running some Outlook, Firefox and a couple of utilities. I find it hard to believe that SWBF would consume only 3GBs more as most modern games I've seen tend to consume somewhere between 8 and 12 GBs by themselves, without the OS.

OS can "use" 0GB - means that it'll just swap constantly as it'll be using pagefile as "RAM".

Really? Could you post proof because I honestly don't believe this. I think the only recent game that could go over 8gb is JC3 because of its massive memory leak. I don't think I've ever seen a single game go over 5.5gb. ROTR holds the crown atm.

BTW firefox is a massive ram hog. It's currently using 1.6gb with only 6 tabs.

dr_rus

Really? Could you post proof because I honestly don't believe this. I think the only recent game that could go over 8gb is JC3 because of its massive memory leak. I don't think I've ever seen a single game go over 5.5gb. ROTR holds the crown atm.

I don't usually screenshot such proofs but when I'll play a modern game next time I'll be sure to do that. May well be Doom or MECatalyst.

JC3 was running at more than 12GBs on my machine during launch but they seems to fix things since then and now it's at a more reasonable 8-10. RoTTR launch version was consuming more than 12GB as well, yes.

Kezen

Banned

I saw JC3 consuming 11gb of system ram also. ROTTR consumed 10gb or more as well.

Hip Hop

Running Ultra Textures, and all other settings set to High.

For the most part, it stays around the 60fps area. Sometimes getting into the upper 40's depending on the area (inside, or lighting intensive parts)

GTX 670 2GB
8GB RAM
i5 3570k stock

SimplexPL

I am getting suspiciously abysmal performance in the beta.
I got overclocked 980Ti, i7 6700K, 16GB RAM, Win7, latest drivers.
I am getting constant drops below 60 at 1080p, even on medium details, and when that happens, my GPU usage is 99%. Other games (like Division) run fine.

Here's an example of a seemingly completely undemanding scene which keeps my GPU usage at 99% on high and ultra settings.

http://imgur.com/a/r3Wob

I mean, on low settings at 1080p my GPU usage is freaking 65%. According to gamersyde, game should run at over 100fps on ultra at 1080p on my rig:
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_our_pc_videos_of_mirror_s_edge_catalyst_beta-17781_en.html

Any ideas what could be causing such low performance?

I am getting constant drops below 60 at 1080p, even on medium details, and when that happens, my GPU usage is 99%. Other games (like Division) run fine.

Here's an example of a seemingly completely undemanding scene which keeps my GPU usage at 99% on high and ultra settings.

I mean, on low settings at 1080p my GPU usage is freaking 65%. According to gamersyde, game should run at over 100fps on ultra at 1080p on my rig:
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_our_pc_videos_of_mirror_s_edge_catalyst_beta-17781_en.html

It's a beta man

A2theFake

Neo Member

I've got the same experience as you with an equally potent rig. Constant frame drops and it seems my graphics card is starting a cook out under my desk. Haven't checked temps yet, but it got very cosy down there :D

Nevertheless, as others have already posted...this is a beta. They will probably optimize right until the release date and put out a nicely wrapped day one patch. So I'm not really sweating it. Frostbite has a very solid PC record, when it comes to optimization.

Pjsprojects

It's Origin only, which sucks imo.

I know Steam is the preferred option but I've never had a problem with either Origin or Uplay.
If anything the party chat is better on Origin than Steam,however I now use the Xbox app for chat.

Is it that Steam has trading cards and achievements?

robotrock

Banned
Haven't really tinkered much but getting 60fps with the default medium settings, with the exceptions being screenspace reflections is set to low as well as textures.

If I cranked Screen Space Reflections and texture up to medium, game would be stuttering all over the place. Running a GTX 970.

I have faith that they'll clean this up for the final release.

dr_rus

GameGPU benchmarks

MirrorsEdge_1920.jpg
MirrorsEdge_2560.jpg

Kepler cards are a bit below the average, 2GB cards are dead even in 1080p (960 2GB - 32 fps; 960 4GB - 45 fps). No SLI/CF support.

The game is really RAM hungry:

MirrorsEdge_ram2.jpg

As mentioned above, when looking at task manager, I did noticed that game does seem pretty ram hungry, but not negatively affecting me thankfully, have more than enough.

Does VHQ means setting everything to ultra?

Maybe it's just my system, or the current version of the game runs much better at Win10 than Win7 - both Gamersyde and GameGPU reported significantly better performance on the same GPU as mine, with the only difference being the OS version.

Frostbite leverages win 8 and win 10 for better CPU performance. First title to evidence that was BF4 I believe.

SimplexPL

I have i7 6700K so CPU should not be a bottleneck. In my case, when the framerate drops, my GPU usage is 99%, and CPU usage is 40%.

I even changed the resolution to 900p and set details to high - and I still had 99% usage and constant drops below 60:

http://imgur.com/a/3u8Dv

At no point is the CPU usage more than around 50%.

dr_rus

Does VHQ means setting everything to ultra?

Maybe it's just my system, or the current version of the game runs much better at Win10 than Win7 - both Gamersyde and GameGPU reported significantly better performance on the same GPU as mine, with the only difference being the OS version.

Yeah, FB3 is DX11+ and have shown better performance in Win8 since BF4 I believe. It's not so much CPU related though.

Expect more and more games recommending i7's and 16GB of RAM when moving forward. Reason why I /facepalm when people say 8GB is more than enough to ones building rigs now, better off going for 16GB right away in today's system requirement landscape.

8GB is more than enough right now for anyone on a budget

ram is the easiest upgrade you can do for a pc... There is literally no reason to buy 16GB before you actually need it

SimplexPL

This still does not excuse the game from performing so horribly on Win7, I hope this will be fixed in the final version. BF4 runs much better and look spectacular.

I mean, 900p and high settings and still not possible to achieve stable 60fps on overclocked 980Ti and i7 6700? That's some shameful shit, possibly worse optimization than quantum break.

martino

Is the ram usage related to the streaming of object used by the game (and its drawback if you have to load them from slow memory) ?

dr_rus

This still does not excuse the game from performing so horribly on Win7, I hope this will be fixed in the final version. BF4 runs much better and look spectacular.

I mean, 900p and high settings and still not possible to achieve stable 60fps on overclocked 980Ti and i7 6700? That's some shameful shit, possibly worse optimization than quantum break.

I wouldn't count on DICE optimizing anything for Win7 or NV's h/w.

Qassim

Many people are still using win7, if they ship in that state, there will be a shitstorm.

It's not really DICE's fault that Windows 7 doesn't support DX11.1+. Not saying that's the only cause of issues, but reduced performance is to be expected on Windows 7.

It's not really DICE's fault that Windows 7 doesn't support DX11.1+. Not saying that's the only cause of issues, but reduced performance is to be expected on Windows 7.

Windows 7 also has worse performance with SSDs as well so even the asset streaming is better on Windows 8 and 10.

dr_rus

Many people are still using win7, if they ship in that state, there will be a shitstorm.

Well, they've been given the option of a free upgrade to Win10 which is still active for three months from now. Most optimizations go into Win10 platform obviously, you can't expect developers to optimize for an OS which is 7 years old and two versions behind. It's good already that the game even works on it.

SimplexPL

Right, tell that to all other game developers who care about Win7 useres. I will buy their games instead.

By some miracle The Division (and BF4) works flawlessly on Win7 with excellent performacne, so evidently it is doable and I have the right to expect same from DICE. Hopefully they are aware how many users still use win7 and will not ignore them.

Gattsu25

Banned
I just upgraded to 32 GB RAM (so I can always keep the UE4 editor, Blender, Visual Studio and Firefox open without issues while playing Dark Souls 3) :p
I just did as well. Also went from a Sandy Bridge CPU + micro ATX motherboard to a Skylake CPU + ATX motherboard.

I don't have any complaints as of yet.

Right, tell that to all other game developers who care about Win7 useres. I will buy their games instead.

By some miracle The Division (and BF4) works flawlessly on Win7 with excellent performacne, so evidently it is doable and I have the right to expect same from DICE. Hopefully they are aware how many users still use win7 and will not ignore them.

If I was DICE, I would ignore them as Windows 7 users have a free upgrade path to Windows 10. That some people are stubborn is not a good reason to continue supporting an operating system. It severely limits what a developer can do.

Disappointed. 16gb ram recommended seems too high. Will try an open beta or free trial but probably not getting because of the high specs and reception of the beta.

Disappointed. 16gb ram recommended seems too high. Will try an open beta or free trial but probably not getting because of the high specs and reception of the beta.

I have 8GB of ram and it doesn't put any problem. Although if you wish, I have an open beta key if you want. PM me.

SimplexPL

If I was DICE, I would ignore them as Windows 7 users have a free upgrade path to Windows 10. That some people are stubborn is not a good reason to continue supporting an operating system. It severely limits what a developer can do.
Yeah, Win7 is horribly limiting to what developer can do, as evidenced by the quality and performance of The Division.
I can understand a 5-10% performance difference, but the difference in ME:C beta is more like 50%, which is most certainly a bug which will be fixed by the time the final version fixed.

Steam hardware survey - "Windows 7 64 bit 33.34%" - I am fairly confifend they will not ignore such a big userbase.

If I was Microsoft, I would ignore them as Windows 7 users have a free upgrade path to Windows 10. That some people are stubborn is not a good reason to continue supporting an operating system. It severely limits what a developer can do.

Fixed your statement for you

Over 50 percent of gamers (steam hardware survey) are on windows 7 or 8 and it's not dice's right to tell them to install a different OS

Qassim

Over 50 percent of gamers (steam hardware survey) are on windows 7 or 8 and it's not dice's right to tell them to install a different OS

Actually, it definitely is their right to do that (in the context of, if you want to play our game, do x). It may not go well for them, but I don't see why that isn't their right. It's their game, it's them doing the technical work to support these operating systems.

I'm not one of those who thinks it's as black and white to say "Well, it's free, why wouldn't you upgrade?" because people do have legitimate grievances with 8 and 10, and I agree not supporting Windows 7 to a reasonable manner would not be a good move for them, I just don't agree that theoretically, it wouldn't be the right of a developer to decided to reduce or cease support for an operating system.

dr_rus

Actually, it definitely is their right to do that (in the context of, if you want to play our game, do x). It may not go well for them, but I don't see why that isn't their right. It's their game, it's them doing the technical work to support these operating systems.

I'm not one of those who thinks it's as black and white to say "Well, it's free, why wouldn't you upgrade?" because people do have legitimate grievances with 8 and 10, and I agree not supporting Windows 7 to a reasonable manner would not be a good move for them, I just don't agree that theoretically, it wouldn't be the right of a developer to decided to reduce or cease support for an operating system.

Those grievances are mostly subjective design related though and not technical. So they're pretty much irrelevant.

Win7 is on it's way out, I expect its share to shrink below 20-25% by the end of this year. There are different levels of support, and optimizations for an outgoing system may not be in the base support level which makes the game _work_ on a system. Since most of DICE FB R&D will go / is going into DX12 which is Win10 exclusive I wouldn't count on them doing anything for Win7 at all.

SimplexPL

So far, the difference in performance of games between Win7 and Win10 has been negligible, which proves there is yet no reason for any game to run worse on Win7 compared to Win10. There is simply no excuse for offering inferior performance on Win7, and Mirror's Edge Catalyst beta is clearly broken on Windows 7.

Compare these two screenshots of the same scene, with the same settings (high), on the same hardware (970)- the only difference is the operating system.

Windows 10 - 60fps (vsync), GPU usage 56% (so without vsync fps could easliy be above 100)
XWsbHzx.jpg

Windows 7 - 46 fps, GPU usage 99%
CBehpVi.jpg

How the fuck is that even possible? (I know, beta - there is no chance full version will run that bad on Win7)

Also, the "ultra" setting for lightning is totally not worth it, compare quality and performance:
http://i.imgur.com/uXNlPQQ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/bJDCuik.jpg

dr_rus

So far, the difference in performance of games between Win7 and Win10 has been negligible,

It's been said several times already that no, it's hasn't been negligible in Frostbite based titles since at least BF4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu2HM0EGC0w

I myself upgraded from Win7 to Win8 while playing DAI and noticed that I've got some +10-15 fps in it just from running the game on Win8.

The results between Win7 and Win10 in MEC were expected.

How the fuck is that even possible? (I know, beta - there is no chance full version will run that bad on Win7)

Frostbite is using some DX11+ things which aren't available on Win7 to speed up the rendering.

Kezen

Banned
So far, the difference in performance of games between Win7 and Win10 has been negligible, which proves there is yet no reason for any game to run worse on Win7 compared to Win10. There is simply no excuse for offering inferior performance on Win7, and Mirror's Edge Catalyst beta is clearly broken on Windows 7.

Compare these two screenshots of the same scene, with the same settings (high), on the same hardware (970)- the only difference is the operating system.

Windows 10 - 60fps (vsync), GPU usage 56% (so without vsync fps could easliy be above 100)
XWsbHzx.jpg

Windows 7 - 46 fps, GPU usage 99%
CBehpVi.jpg

Also, the "ultra" setting for lightning is totally not worth it, compare quality and performance:
http://i.imgur.com/uXNlPQQ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/bJDCuik.jpg

I don't see anything wrong here. BF4 also ran better on Windows 8.

The game recommends W10 don't you forget. Your rant is aimless.

SimplexPL

Performance is halved on win7 compared to win10. Wow, I had no idea that magic DX11.1+ could double your framerates, that's amazing!
If you don't see anything wrong here then you're blind. And yeah, this discussion is aimless, if you think that's ok for a game to run at half the framerate on win7 compared to win10.

Performance is halved on win7 compared to win10. Wow, I had no idea that magic DX11.1+ could double your framerates, that's amazing!
If you don't see anything wrong here then you're blind. And yeah, this discussion is aimless, if you think that's ok for a game to run at half the framerate on win7 compared to win10.
Why don't you upgrade to Windows 10? Problem solved. I dont know if you've noticed, but Microsoft have all but abandoned Windows 7.

SimplexPL

I did not drink the win10 kool aid yet.
No game should run that bad on win7 compared to win10, there's no reason for it as evidenced by all other games (e.g. Division). Luckily it's a beta.

Trace

Banned
I did not drink the win10 kool aid yet.
No game should run that bad on win7 compared to win10, there's no reason for it as evidenced by all other games (e.g. Division). Luckily it's a beta.

You should probably switch to XP just to be safe.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
6350 is minimum? That explains how janky the beta was on my 6300. How in the fuck did they manage to get it to run on consoles though?

Kezen

Banned
6350 is minimum? That explains how janky the beta was on my 6300. How in the fuck did they manage to get it to run on consoles though?

Have you forgotten about low level vs high level APIs already ?
Low level APIs are, as anyone is well aware, much lighter on the CPU.

Consoles CPUs don't have anywhere near as much driver/api work unlike PC CPUs running Directx 11.

Top Bottom