• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: Nintendo can't comment on NX because of "an idea that we're working on"

Jubenhimer

Is he not anymore? I know he was integral to the N64 and Gamecube controllers.
He was? I thought Genyo Takeda was behind them? Anyway, I never heard anything about Aonumma being involved in the NX hardware development and I doubt he is.

hokahey

Nintendo surprises often enough, but the only thing they've done that I can think of that was truly unexpected was the Wii.

In the N64 days there were rumblings about the analogue stick before reveal, the Gamecube didn't really do anything unexpected, the Wii U controller was leaked etc. Not really up on my DS history, so maybe that was totally out on left field as well.

GameCube gave us the Wavebird, which in typical Nintendo fashion, changed the controller game forever.

WiiU may be the first Nintendo system that did not change the way we control games on a mainstream level, but certainly not for lack of trying.

Roshin

I don't want Nintendo trying weird new stuff anymore. Just give us a basic ass high powered computer in a console form factor, with console system level UI shit.

I wish they would start by "following advancements in technology". Then, they could experiment all they like with controllers, etc.

Jubenhimer

This would be the most innovative and fresh thing Nintendo could do. They always go on and on about how's it's all about the games, yet they don't seem to believe that themselves.
Software innovation and hardware innovation go hand in hand. It's not always one or the other, you can have both.

This will be a legendary thread when they finally reveal this console. Damn I hope its sick.

Miyamoto I hope you really mean what you say. Either way, Im always in for Smash and Pkmn.

GameCube gave us the Wavebird, which in typical Nintendo fashion, changed the controller game forever.

WiiU may be the first Nintendo system that did not change the way we control games on a mainstream level, but certainly not for lack of trying.

How did the Waverbird change the controller game forever?

This will be a legendary thread when they finally reveal this console. Damn I hope its sick.

Miyamoto I hope you really mean what you say. Either way, Im always in for Smash and Pkmn.

Or more like it will probably be necrobumped with "LOL's" if the gimmick turns out to be something unsatisfying

Nintendo knows they can't compete with Sony and MS so they aren't trying. It's good they're trying something different. Whether it works or not remains to be seen, but at least they're aware of the need to be different somehow.

Wireless.

Wireless had been done before. Nothing revolutionary there. They just used new technology to do it better than it had been before.

R00bot

An optional controller that wasn't even close to the first wireless controller on the market?

I think crediting the Wavebird for making wireless game controllers the norm is a stretch...

Yeah and the Wii remote wasn't the first motion controller, and the DS wasn't the first touch screen.

They sure as hell helped make them mainstream though.

Nintendo has seemingly been focusing a lot of their research on sensors, specifically image and IR sensors based on their recent patents.

I'm getting more and more confident that the NX will have a large focus on head/face/eye tracking. We've seen that in the new 3DS, we've seen that in their TV based hologram patent, and we've seen that used in VR platforms.

However I'm betting we will get a strictly camera based head/face/eye tracking system, rather than anything wearable like glasses or a headset, and I think simply placing the camera/sensors on the controller itself will greatly improve both the accuracy of detection and the variety of uses it can have:

1. Controlling game functions with face or eye movements (replacement for mouse cursor)
2. Same TV based hologram tech (images on screen change angle based on your head position)
3. Potentially a rear facing camera or sensor for AR functions

I'm sure there would be other applications for a heavily head/face/eye tracking system too. Sounds awesome really.

Yeah and the Wii remote wasn't the first motion controller, and the DS wasn't the first touch screen.

They sure as hell helped make them mainstream though.

Oh yeah, I absolutely give those machines credit for popularising motion controls and touch screens... but I'm not at all prepared to give that kind of credit to the Wavebird.

Edit: I will concede that before the Wavebird wireless controllers largelly sucked. But to push it as a true game changer in game controllers I need more.

R00bot

Oh yeah, I absolutely give those machines credit for popularising motion controls and touch screens... but I'm not at all prepared to give that kind of credit to the Wavebird.

Really? Previous wireless controllers used IR, you had to point them at the right point for them to work, and the latency was awful as well.
The Wavebird was truly the first wireless controller that was anywhere near a practical replacement for wired controllers, and the uptake of that technology was swift in other consoles afterwards.

That's definitely what's going on, but since people here still can't wrap their heads around a console releasing outside of the holiday season they're looking for any sign they can find that the March 2017 announcement was a flat-out lie.

Just take a look at when Nintendo consoles have released in the USA.

NES: October 18, 1985
SNES: August 23, 1991
N64: September 26, 1996
GCN: November 18, 2001
Wii: November 19, 2006
Wii U: November 18, 2012

They have never released a console in the first half of the year, and they haven't released a console before the Fall season since SNES in 1991. I'm just not buying the March projection. We'll see I guess.

Edit: I will concede that before the Wavebird wireless controllers largelly sucked. But to push it as a true game changer in game controllers I need more.

Wave bird sold millions, and was really the first commercially viable wireless controller. In an era of original "duke" controllers and IR ps2 remotes, it was a huge push. Just dig up some really reviews from when it first launched.

PtM

Banned
He was? I thought Genyo Takeda was behind them? Anyway, I never heard anything about Aonumma being involved in the NX hardware development and I doubt he is.
Why are you still going on about this? That poster must have misread Zelda NX for the console itself.

Josh5890

Just take a look at when Nintendo consoles have released in the USA.

NES: October 18, 1985
SNES: August 23, 1991
N64: September 26, 1996
GCN: November 18, 2001
Wii: November 19, 2006
Wii U: November 18, 2012

They have never released a console in the first half of the year, and they haven't released a console before the Fall season since SNES in 1991. I'm just not buying the March projection. We'll see I guess.

We are trying to remain optimistic about March. I'm looking at is as a 50/50 as of right now.

Seriously. It's not the first time we hear about this idea. If it isn't Wiimote caliber, they're joking.
They keep saying they cant talk about this or this because people would steal their idea. So it better be an amazing idea. As far as I'm concerned, I hope it's mouse scrolling wheel as shoulder buttons.

If it launches in March, it's a handheld (or at least a system designed primarily with mobile in mind)

Otherwise it's Q4

R00bot

Seriously. It's not the first time we hear about this idea. If it isn't Wiimote caliber, they're joking.
They keep saying they cant talk about this or this because people would steal their idea. So it better be an amazing idea. As far as I'm concerned, I hope it's mouse scrolling wheel as shoulder buttons.

But I mean, of course Nintendo is worried of being copied, it wouldn't be the first time. They even get copied with their shitty ideas like the GamePad and smartglass/that Vita thing.

Marvie_3

Banned
Really? Previous wireless controllers used IR, you had to point them at the right point for them to work, and the latency was awful as well.
The Wavebird was truly the first wireless controller that was anywhere near a practical replacement for wired controllers, and the uptake of that technology was swift in other consoles afterwards.

Exactly. Wireless controllers before the wavebird were garbage.

But I mean, of course Nintendo is worried of being copied, it wouldn't be the first time. They even get copied with their shitty ideas like the GamePad and smartglass/that Vita thing.

The point isn't about being copied or not. It's about having a worthy idea being copied.

Wave bird sold millions, and was really the first commercially viable wireless controller. In an era of original "duke" controllers and IR ps2 remotes, it was a huge push. Just dig up some really reviews from when it first launched.

I know it was well received, but I want figures on how much it sold etc. Millions you say?

I would give it much more credit if it was included with the system to begin with, but it was an optional accessory on a relatively niche console.

It looks like the Wavebird was the first game controller to use 2.4 GHz wireless? Well, that IS a pretty big deal.

I think it's also fair to look at things other manufacturers have innovated that Nintendo has taken on board. Dual analogue sticks, home buttons, USB inputs, headphone/mic port on controller, hard drive, HDMI out, memory cards etc etc. They've definitely lead the charge in control innovation in particular, but I kind of feel like the others don't really get enough credit for their innovation that were subsequently adopted elsewhere.

ReyVGM

Wait until september, guys...

June is pretty much over already, only 2 and a half months for the NX blowout.

Kutastha

Neo Member
Virtual retinal display.

Aka: Screenless gaming or screenless supplementary augmentation to screen gaming. Possible Nintendo-Magic Leap partnership.

KarmaCow

You can tell the thirst is reaching an absurd level when a single sentence of corporate or speak leads a 600 post thread.....

We're in deep in the circus. There was a thread about Reggie saying quickly how they would show the difference between the NX and Wii U versions of Zelda later during E3 because he used the used the word show and that was coded language meaning that the NX version would look better. Which is not only reading really hard into a quick comment, no shit. Even the Wii version of TP was different.

Sorcerer

We're in deep in the circus. There was a thread about Reggie saying quickly how they would show the difference between the NX and Wii U versions of Zelda later during E3 because he used the used the word show and that was coded language meaning that the NX version would look better. Which is not only reading really hard into a quick comment, no shit. Even the Wii version of TP was different.

Maybe Link will be right handed in the Wii-U version and left handed in the NX version?

Also was the Wavebird the first official first party wireless controller?

Top Bottom