• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: Nintendo can't comment on NX because of "an idea that we're working on"

R00bot

The idea to become 3rd party. BOOOM!

tumblr_inline_nhlb4f3huC1sbt8u2.gif

Kutastha

Neo Member
If it turns out it does, in fact, entail a virtual retinal display, then I will gladly become your ruler here at MorpheusGAF.

YBdisk

I know it was well received, but I want figures on how much it sold etc. Millions you say?

I would give it much more credit if it was included with the system to begin with, but it was an optional accessory on a relatively niche console.

It looks like the Wavebird was the first game controller to use 2.4 GHz wireless? Well, that IS a pretty big deal.

I think it's also fair to look at things other manufacturers have innovated that Nintendo has taken on board. Dual analogue sticks, home buttons, USB inputs, headphone/mic port on controller, hard drive, HDMI out, memory cards etc etc. They've definitely lead the charge in control innovation in particular, but I kind of feel like the others don't really get enough credit for their innovation that were subsequently adopted elsewhere.

Home buttons, usb inputs, hdmi out (gc had component out)? Come on man...
They only did headphone ports/microphone on handhelds i'll give you that (they put in a speaker instead).

Memory chips on cartridges for years until cd format forced the use of memory cards (also that memory card money). They have yet to include hard drives...

The only noteworthy things the other companies have implemented control wise are Sony Eyetoy which Microsoft improved upon with Kinect. Can't think of anything else atm. So yeah, i think Nintendo deserve the praise they get for their control innovations.

Home buttons, usb inputs, hdmi out (gc had component out)? Come on man...
They only did headphone ports/microphone on handhelds i'll give you that (they put in a speaker instead).

Memory's chips on cartridges for years until cd format forced the use of memory cards (also that memory card money). They have yet to include hard drives...

The only noteworthy things the other companies have implemented control wise are Sony Eyetoy which Microsoft improved upon with Kinect. Can't think of anything else atm. So yeah, i think Nintendo deserve the praise they get for their control innovations.

What's wrong with home button, usb controllers and HDMI out? They are all ubiquitous features for consoles these days. Hell, even the use of disc based media is a big one. They're not all control innovations, but they are all things that others introduced and Nintendo picked up moving forward.

I'm not downplaying Nintendo's innovations, but I do think that Microsoft in particular doesn't get enough credit for what they have bought to the table in terms of standardised features.

I can't get excited about nothing. Until I actually know what it is I'll assume it's just a dumb gimmick that will only serve to make other companies that aren't Nintendo leery at the idea of making games for the system. Give me something to be excited about, Nintendo.

VR is not an original idea and Nintendo are unlikely to match or exceed current solutions.

It's possible for the rumor to be true, and also not to be what Miyamoto was talking about. What I took from the rumor--if it is true--is that Nintendo's just future-proofing the NX to be VR capable; not that it would have it out of the gate

Peterc

Reggie said that they won't add vr unless it's accepted by the big market.
(and yes having oculus for more than a year now, it's not a good device for gaming)

idd, with Sony, many people complaining that it is using move controlls.
But yes, it's the only way to play VR games, to give it sense.

Kutastha

Neo Member
VR is not an original idea and Nintendo are unlikely to match or exceed current solutions.

I agree, and while Nintendo claims to be moving in a new direction from the Wii/U era, I still think full VR runs contrary to their "family computer" philosophy. My initial assessment is that AR would be a more ideal route. The only problem is that the traditional methods for AR are still quite lacking and/or are very expensive. Then it occurred to me: A virtual retinal display. Forgo all the environment-mapping bells and whistles. I'm not necessarily talking about full mixed reality like Hololens or Magic Leap. It can just be a device that yields a virtual screen with basic 3D effects appearing to float over one's vision. Maybe in some use cases it augments the gaming on the TV screen while in another instance it creates a second screen just below your TV for gamepad emulation without the need to look down.

Only recently a number of developments have made a true VRD system practical. In particular the development of high-brightness LEDs have made the displays bright enough to be used during the day, and adaptive optics have allowed systems to dynamically correct for irregularities in the eye (although this is not always needed). The result is a high-resolution screenless display with excellent color gamut and brightness, far better than the best television technologies.

Virtual Retinal Display - Wikipedia

I agree, and while Nintendo claims to be moving in a new direction from the Wii/U era, I still think full VR runs contrary to their "family computer" philosophy. My initial assessment is that AR would be a more ideal route. The only problem is that the traditional methods for AR are still quite lacking and/or are very expensive. Then it occurred to me: A virtual retinal display. Forgo all the environment-mapping bells and whistles. I'm not necessarily talking about full mixed reality like Hololens or Magic Leap. It can just be a device that yields a virtual screen with basic 3D effects appearing to float over one's vision. Maybe in some use cases it augments the gaming on the TV screen while in another instance it creates a second screen just below your TV for gamepad emulation without the need to look down.

Yeah, Nintendo won't be doing this either. Some of you are thinking a little too far outside the box...

Peterc

Not saying that it isn't plausible, but having been through multiple console generations on the Internet, every generation people hunt patents looking for clues and not once have people found patents relating directly to the upcoming system.

True, I don't say this is something nx would use. But i think they would have something more in this direction.

Kutastha

Neo Member
Yeah, Nintendo won't be doing this either. Some of you are thinking a little too far outside the box...

They might not do this now, but they will eventually. The question is, will Nintendo be the first dedicated gaming company out of the gate with this tech? It's no big deal. It's just poised to replace all screens over the next few years.

What's wrong with home button, usb controllers and HDMI out? They are all ubiquitous features for consoles these days. Hell, even the use of disc based media is a big one. They're not all control innovations, but they are all things that others introduced and Nintendo picked up moving forward.

I'm not downplaying Nintendo's innovations, but I do think that Microsoft in particular doesn't get enough credit for what they have bought to the table in terms of standardised features.
I'm going to assume you did that on purpose ;)

I think VR may be incorporated like a Samsung Gear VR----a cheap lens add-on to the portable NX. Could be wirelessly linked up to the console for more computing juice when used at home.

Just a thought.

Peterc

3D again? No one gives a damn about 3D anymore. Someone should pick up the phone and tell them that.

Omg
Read the damn article :p

It has nothing to do with 3d stereoscopic

CLAIMS:
It would work on any standard TV (not 3DS-related)

Game characters would be aware of your presence in the room

There may be some Augmented Reality functions

Some kind of multiplayer option... I don't even know

Other external stimuli could make it even more believable... Smell-O-Vision?

They might have solved headache problems

It could detect your emotions

qko

12 pages already and people forget this insane patent:

ZHMXypA.png

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/is-this-crazy-nintendo-patent-for-nx-3d-on-any-tv.454652409/

Forget the stuppid ideas and think more of this.

I was wondering if it were something like this, but the one slide saying non wearable makes me wonder if it isn't.

I'm guessing the hybrid part becomes taking the controller out in the world which to the naked eye appears to be a black screen (or mirror) but when wearing the glasses is actually a sort of Augmented Reality device where you are playing the game.

im thinking like an inverted version of the 3DS AR mode where the shape of the controller is the AR Card and the glasses are the screen.

majik13

People's focus on the quote's effect or demonstration of timeline is misplaced, in my opinion. Just because it's an active idea doesn't mean they haven't pushed forward with major software projects. It just means they are trying to perfect it.

The comment could mean everything in terms of timeline, or absolutely nothing. It could also be a way to generate hype.

Yeah this. Cant see how that quote could infer one way or another that the system could be delayed. Its extremely vague. They will be working on this 'idea' for the next 9 months up to release, and likely after release. Doesnt mean any major aspects of the system arent finished or solidfied.
Its also highly likely there was something lost in translation.

Not to say a dely couldnt happen. But it cant be infered from this quote.

Anyways that pre announcment nintendo hype is getting to me. Im hoping that whatever NX is, is worthwhile. I always dig that thay at least bring something new, even if it aint always perfect. I enjoyed the gamepad and a few great wiiu games. Hopefully NX has a bigger impact.

Omg
Read the damn article :p

It has nothing to do with 3d stereoscopic

CLAIMS:
It would work on any standard TV (not 3DS-related)

Game characters would be aware of your presence in the room

There may be some Augmented Reality functions

Some kind of multiplayer option... I don't even know

Other external stimuli could make it even more believable... Smell-O-Vision?

They might have solved headache problems

It could detect your emotions

Reminds me of that batshit stupid Milo demo thing, just with different tech.

Why is it an issue when Nintendo doesn't spew the details of what they have not officially announced or unveiled? No company in their right mind(for the most part) reveals something they feel is a good idea until it's "proper timing". I don't understand. Sure we all want to know what the hell NX is, but I don't really get why Nintendo gets heat for wanting to guard an idea they feel is valuable until it benefits them to lift the curtain.

It's an "Job" expansion port on the NX. You insert a job cartridge that gives Link something to do when they finally allow Zelda to be the protagonist in her own game.

I really don't see how anyone can interpret Miyamoto's words as anything bad or good. It just sounds like they don't want to talk about it yet. I see a lot of people seeing it as an admission that the "idea" isn't far along, but I'm not reading that from his words at all.

I really don't see how anyone can interpret Miyamoto's words as anything bad or good. It just sounds like they don't want to talk about it yet. I see a lot of people seeing it as an admission that the "idea" isn't far along, but I'm not reading that from his words at all.
All of this, you'd have to be insane to think the system hook is an early work in progress.
They're probably just fine tuning it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I can't get excited about nothing. Until I actually know what it is I'll assume it's just a dumb gimmick that will only serve to make other companies that aren't Nintendo leery at the idea of making games for the system. Give me something to be excited about, Nintendo.

This is where I'm at. They've had the benefit of my doubt for years now - this time they don't.

Didn't they say something similar before showing the wiiU (or Wii maybe)? "We don't want to show it too early in case everyone copies our idea". Just delaying tactics

This is where I'm at. They've had the benefit of my doubt for years now - this time they don't.

Didn't they say something similar before showing the wiiU (or Wii maybe)? "We don't want to show it too early in case everyone copies our idea". Just delaying tactics
Were they wrong???

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Why is it an issue when Nintendo doesn't spew the details of what they have not officially announced or unveiled? No company in their right mind(for the most part) reveals something they feel is a good idea until it's "proper timing". I don't understand. Sure we all want to know what the hell NX is, but I don't really get why Nintendo gets heat for wanting to guard an idea they feel is valuable until it benefits them to lift the curtain.

My take on the matter: in doing so they over-build hype. when they finally reveal the thing, even if it is good, it is just good, and not so overcoming all the other shortens their products have/will have compared to their competitors. So, all the wait isn't worth it.They act like all the competitors are trying to steal their thunder, but it seems that both MS and Sony are well aware of their own businesses, not caring abuot NX at all. And while they are announcing games and platforms, Nintendo is keeping all silent, abandoning their actual product (Wii U) on the market with no games, theorically to "build up NX", but at the end of the day if their idea will not be mind blowing and their lineup will not be stellar, we as customers will have simply waste our time.

Top Bottom