• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: Nintendo can't comment on NX because of "an idea that we're working on"

MuchoMalo

Banned
Not really. Actually it would be pretty hard for it to not be unless they purposely do it or want the system to be under $250

Remember the Wii U. Also, I think they're aiming for $200.

Just take a look at when Nintendo consoles have released in the USA.

NES: October 18, 1985
SNES: August 23, 1991
N64: September 26, 1996
GCN: November 18, 2001
Wii: November 19, 2006
Wii U: November 18, 2012

They have never released a console in the first half of the year, and they haven't released a console before the Fall season since SNES in 1991. I'm just not buying the March projection. We'll see I guess.

They also don't tend to reveal consoles less than 18 months before launch. So, I guess Holiday 2018 is confirmed?

It's clear that they were aiming for Holiday 2016 originally. You really think they missed that and then decided to go, "Welp, we'll just delay it a year! Also, we'll lie to our investors just because we can." Yeah, no. If it misses the March release, it'll be due to a delay, not because of a lie.

Just take a look at when Nintendo consoles have released in the USA.

NES: October 18, 1985
SNES: August 23, 1991
N64: September 26, 1996
GCN: November 18, 2001
Wii: November 19, 2006
Wii U: November 18, 2012

They have never released a console in the first half of the year, and they haven't released a console before the Fall season since SNES in 1991. I'm just not buying the March projection. We'll see I guess.

They also haven't released consoles less than 5 years apart. March 2017 is 4 years and 4 months.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'd think if they're still toying with any major ideas at this point, it's probably 1 of 2 things.

1. Something related to features between portable and console (and whatever other platforms they have). Be it inter-connectedness, to what extent they can get all/most games on both etc.

2. Tweaking the controller for the console some how.

Seems too late in the game for anything more major.

This. If it's coming out in March, it's a portable. (I still think it *could* be a console, but if it is, it'll be delayed to Q4)

I strongly doubt that, unless they're just not having a pure console anymore and use that supplemental computing device patent to pair a portable with something to beef it up for gaming on the tv.

The Wii U is dead, has hardly anything coming this year. The 3DS is still doing ok, has mainline pokemon games coming this fall etc. I can't see them putting out its successor and doing nothing on the console front.

The Wii U is dead, has hardly anything coming this year. The 3DS is still doing ok, has mainline pokemon games coming this fall etc. I can't see them putting out its successor and doing nothing on the console front.

Like I said, it could be either, but a console won't be out by March.

Regardless, I don't buy the logic that just because the Wii U is dead, but the 3DS is still doing "okay" is proof the next system is a console. The Wii U is unsalvageable, the damage is done. As a counterargument, Nintendo has more to gain by capitalizing on what little momentum the 3DS has left going into a new generation than letting that die too.

Edit: The release of Pokemon also doesn't matter. Black & White for the DS released the same month the 3DS did.

javadoze

I think people are taking Miyamoto's words a little too much at face value. I think "idea" in this context just means "central gimmick" and he just wants to remain vague about it.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Like I said, it could be either, but a console won't be out by March.

Regardless, I don't buy the logic that just because the Wii U is dead, but the 3DS is still doing "okay" is proof the next system is a console. The Wii U is unsalvageable, the damage is done. As a counterargument, Nintendo has more to gain by capitalizing on what little momentum the 3DS has left going into a new generation than letting that die too.

I guess a part of it also depends on whether they're prioritizing Japan that loves portables, or the West that loves their consoles and big screens and portable sales are declining.

Time will tell I guess. I'd be very surprised if it's not a console. I also wouldn't be surprised to see it delayed again with who little we know and march being 9 months away.

I'm kind of beyond caring at this point. I'll never buy another portable, and I'm not sure I'll buy another Nintendo console. They'll have to do a lot to convince me after how underwhelmed I was with the Wii and Wii U despite growing up a Nintendo gamer starting with the NES. My tastes have shifted, and there's the huge indie scene to give me something different than the western AAAs I mostly play, so I have less need for owning a Nintendo platform vs. just keeping my Wii U and 3DS indefinitely to scratch teh occasional smash/mario kart/etc. itch.

Don't gotta look at my info. Even if you take nate and emilys info they both said nx is close to Xbox one specs. You're not getting that in a handheld form factor ubless you want 20 minutes of battery life.

While I definitely trust Emily waaaay more than you, she's not 100% accurate either, most recently seen with the playable female-characters in Zelda rumor. So until I see actual proof, I'm not believing any of the specs rumors about the NX

And to clarify, I wasn't arguing that it wasn't a console, only that if it is, it's not coming out in March

Last time it was a tablet controller because that's what was "in". What is in now, smartwatches and fitbits?

Judging from Miyamoto's "casuals are pathetic" comment, I think Nintendo is done chasing after the casual fitness crowd. Whatever the gimmick is in the NX, I think it'll be something geared towards gamers first, in the same way that GBA/GCN link cables were (enabling new ways of play in their existing core series).

Hermii

While I definitely trust Emily waaaay more than you, she's not 100% accurate either, most recently seen with the playable female-characters in Zelda rumor. So until I see actual proof, I'm not believing any of the specs rumors about the NX

And to clarify, I wasn't arguing that it wasn't a console, only that if it is, it's not coming out in March
You want see actual proof in a loong time as I'm sure Nintendo won't talk about specs.

There will be a hundred page long thread studying every nanometer of the soc from a scan by chip works.

Banned

That's fair if you don't trust me. I made a mistake with Zhuge. I accepted it. The rest of the info was good though.

But my point was, everyone I've talked to, including Emily, doesn't know anything about a handheld form factor as of now. Maybe it's that Tegra device win?

So unless the handheld is the hide and seek champion of the world, the first nx device launching in March is likely a home console or both form factors at once.

There's no way they go without a console for all of 2017 after the disaster this year was for Wii U.

CrazE

Banned
there's an idea that we're working on

"We will be trying out this new thing called "Gamer Tags" You will be able to play online against friends and know who you're playing!"

Also, a really new thing called "Party Chat"

Chuckman

I'd like to say I can't wait to see what they are working on with the NX, but unfortunately that's all we can do is wait and wait and wait some more.

It wouldn't surprise me if we have to wait until E3 next year before they finally unveil it. And then have a Holiday 2017 release. I hope that's not the case though.

Hermii

I'd like to say I can't wait to see what they are working on with the NX, but unfortunately that's all we can do is wait and wait and wait some more.

It wouldn't surprise me if we have to wait until E3 next year before they finally unveil it. And then have a Holiday 2017 release. I hope that's not the case though.
I doubt they would have delayed Zelda for the NX launch if that was their plan.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I doubt they would have delayed Zelda for the NX launch if that was their plan.

It's definitely not their plan. But it's pretty clear they intended to have NX and Zelda out this fall and had to push it. So it's not inconceivable that it could slip again if they have any hardware issues with manufacturing etc. I doubt they'd delay Wii U Zelda again though as that would really piss off the people just wanting to play it on Wii U and hurt their FY forecast even more than just bumping NX.

Hopefully they just get their shit together and get it out by March.

Or it's portable.

Genuine question.

Other than mobile, has Just Dance ever released on a dedicated portable device?

I guess it's plausible the NX portable launches before the home console SKU, but that just seems odd to me, considering how poorly the Wii U has been doing since January 2013.

Other than mobile, has Just Dance ever released on a dedicated portable device?

I guess it's plausible the NX portable launches before the home console SKU, but that just seems odd to me, considering how poorly the Wii U has been doing since January 2013.

Here's the thing, people seem to assume that a portable means it would *only* be a portable. If it has the ability to output to a TV in any way, whether through HDMI out, some Chromecast-like device, or whatever else, it may have some functions of a home console without replacing a home console.

Then there's the fact that we're also assuming the NX is only a single device, despite cross-compatibility potentially being on the table.

Why would Just Dance be on a portable?

Edit: Oh, you're on the single device hybrid train.

Only if you consider the PSP to be a hybrid device. I really couldn't have been clearer with my words; odd that since you seemed to have ignored the latter half of the post that you referenced, which very clearly wasn't on the "single device hybrid train"...

It's dangerous to believe that every Nintendo handheld are released in March. Take this :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nintendo_portable_consoles

I never said every handheld was released in March

What if it is the opposite of what everyone thinks it is?

What if it is a gimmick, but not a gimmick for casual gamers? What if it is a gimmick for core gamers? VR is what I would consider a gimmick for core gamers. It's not VR, but maybe something more along those lines than waggle and lunch-box shaped systems.

Core gamer gimmicks:
D-Pad
Analog sticks
Shoulder buttons
Rumble
The DS (2 screens with 1 touch-enabled)

Remember Nintendo are the ones to figure out 3D on a handheld without using glasses. That is pretty damn innovative.

Jubenhimer

What if it is the opposite of what everyone thinks it is?

What if it is a gimmick, but not a gimmick for casual gamers? What if it is a gimmick for core gamers? VR is what I would consider a gimmick for core gamers. It's not VR, but maybe something more along those lines than waggle and lunch-box shaped systems.

Core gamer gimmicks:
D-Pad
Analog sticks
Shoulder buttons
Rumble
The DS (2 screens with 1 touch-enabled)

Remember Nintendo are the ones to figure out 3D on a handheld without using glasses. That is pretty damn innovative.
There's no such thing as core gamer gimmicks. A gimmick is a gimmick, no need to jam them into an arbitrary box. Also thanks to No More Heroes and Red Steel 2, you can toss the Wii Remote in with "core gamer gimmicks".

Last time it was a tablet controller because that's what was "in". What is in now, smartwatches and fitbits?

I need a source on this, because the tablet was clearly an evolution of the dual screen gameplay from the DS. People just saw the popularity of tablets and assumed that's what Nintendo was latching onto, but I don't think there's any indication of proof of it (unless I'm mistaken)

Lutherian

Only if you consider the PSP to be a hybrid device. I really couldn't have been clearer with my words; odd that since you seemed to have ignored the latter half of the post that you referenced, which very clearly wasn't on the "single device hybrid train"...

I never said every handheld was released in March

Then why NX would be a portable if released in March ? Makes no sense.

I need a source on this, because the tablet was clearly an evolution of the dual screen gameplay from the DS. People just saw the popularity of tablets and assumed that's what Nintendo was latching onto, but I don't think there's any indication of proof of it (unless I'm mistaken)

It essentially merged the gameplay of the DS and the Wii, combining waggle/motion controls with a touch screen and dual screen setup.

It makes sense now that NX will be entirely new. The DS and Wii concepts have reached the end of their natural lifespans.

Hilarion

It was based on Nintendo's console history, much less so their handheld one.

They released the N64 in July. They're not strangers to very odd seasons for releasing consoles.

Honestly, if Neo is coming out this Holiday and Scorpio next holiday, March might be the only time they can really get the limelight on their product.

Top Bottom