• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: Nintendo can't comment on NX because of "an idea that we're working on"

llehuty

Lmaooo, some people in here... What do you expect Miyamoto to say?

"We have a final and complete product, but we are skipping the holiday season just because"

Of course they are still working on things... There is nothing alarming about his statement.

Boney

Banned
Lmaooo, some people in here... What do you expect Miyamoto to say?

"We have a final and complete product, but we are skipping the holiday season just because"

Of course they are still working on things... There is nothing alarming about his statement.
To be fair, Iwata mentioned time and again how they were keeping things close to the chest because they didn't want competitors to know what's the special aspect of nx. I doubt it's anything that special but they do sure think they have something hot on their hands.

At this point I just wish the press would just shut up about the NX until Nintendo finally has the cojones to announce what this thing actually is. The incredibly vague PR statements given as answers to their questions are by far worst thing about the entire NX waiting game.

I like one of the ideas about wearing a headband that a camera/sensor on the TV can see, and because it knows your exact head position in relation to the TV, it can create a sort of "Looking out a window" experience on your TV, as long as you are not too close to it.

Something just like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

That's pretty much exactly what people mean when they say "holograms" or post that picture of the 3D TV image.

In that patent, the glasses do absolutely nothing but serve as a tracking device that the camera by the TV can detect to determine your head position. That's the same type of thing which can be done with a camera in the controller like I'm betting on.

To people taking this quote as saying "we're still trying to figure out what the gimmick will be," please try to remember 2 things:
1. This man speaks in Japanese, so the translation typically does not capture idioms that English speakers are used to- "idea we're working on" could easily mean a feature that we're finalizing
2. "Working on" even in English doesn't mean that they haven't decided what they're doing, or are in the planning stages still, or anything except that it's being developed. Which we all knew anyway.

So why the hell are you all freaking out?

Steph_E.

It's 2 wii u's duct taped together isn't it?

No it isn't. Nintendo have clearly said they are moving away from the Wii / Wii U. Obviously it is going to be 10 N64's duct taped together.

I'm also at a loss as to what this supposedly new innovation will be. Every scenario has been pretty much exhausted, but I have a feeling NX is something we still haven't thought of yet.

I agree. scrolling shoulders etc etc do not really fit well with "NX Will Be ‘New Experience’, Not Next Version of Wii U". They have really made it out to be something amazing, not, say, merely tweaking standard controls, which many casuals probably wouldn't notice anyway.

Mory Dunz

probably already been posted

seinfeelde3l70p.gif

Matbtz

It's not til next year. The main aspects of the console should be near finalized, but I'm guessing there's still room for smaller additions.

This remains me of an interview of Kimishima :
Kimishima did mention that developers are pushing Nintendo to add new features to the console, and Nintendo is considering these suggestions, however it would raise the production costs and the company’s aim is to remain affordable.

I think they maybe are adding some functionalities but nothing major related to the main gimmick

source https://mynintendonews.com/2016/05/...-the-nx-will-not-be-a-successor-to-the-wii-u/

21XX

Banned
14 fucking pages for this? Seriously folks. Chill. It was a throwaway comment, not some huge hint at another console feature.

That quote from Kimishima is more concerning than the Miyamoto quote even. I must have missed that one somehow. Sounds like 3rd parties are asking for certain features, and Nintendo is basically saying "no" due to cost issues. I doubt that devs, knowing Nintendo's market, are pushing for anything crazy--more likely basic feature parity w/ the competition. I don't like the sound of this at all!

Peltz

To be fair, Iwata mentioned time and again how they were keeping things close to the chest because they didn't want competitors to know what's the special aspect of nx. I doubt it's anything that special but they do sure think they have something hot on their hands.
Kimishima also believes that the NX concept has potential to be bigger than the Wii.

Whatever it is.. Nintendo is definitely trying to make sure they aren't repeating the same mistakes. It's insane how tight lipped they are about this concept.

Kimawolf

That quote from Kimishima is more concerning than the Miyamoto quote even. I must have missed that one somehow. Sounds like 3rd parties are asking for certain features, and Nintendo is basically saying "no" due to cost issues. I doubt that devs, knowing Nintendo's market, are pushing for anything crazy--more likely basic feature parity w/ the competition. I don't like the sound of this at all!
To me it feels like he is saying they are trying to balance what is suggested with being cost conscious. So im hopeful this time they are at least listening.

To me it feels like he is saying they are trying to balance what is suggested with being cost conscious. So im hopeful this time they are at least listening.

I suppose that we can look on the bright side and say that at least they are accepting feedback from devs? Whether they implement that feedback is another story.

Peltz

Seriously. Saw how large the thread was and got excited, only to find it was just as mundane as the title suggested.

People need to cool it.
Nah, the thirst is real. Nintendo hardware is a really big deal. We've been speculating about this new hardware for years now and every time NX is mentioned by Nintendo, it's discussion-worthy.

What would be the one thing third parties would ask for? Power. They don't care about gimmicks

Seriously. Saw how large the thread was and got excited, only to find it was just as mundane as the title suggested.

People need to cool it.

If anything these types of comments remind people that there will be some sort of hook with the NX.

People keep forgetting it but essentially everyone at Nintendo continues to talk about it being a new idea, new way to play, brand new concept, etc.... So it's good to remind people not to expect a third standard console, like the Gamecube.

Expect something with a pretty exotic hook, like the Wii. I wouldn't want Nintendo to ever stop trying to make new concepts, I don't see why people are so keen on them putting out another "me too" box.

What would be the one thing third parties would ask for? Power. They don't care about gimmicks

We have it on good authority that third parties constantly ask all three (Sony/MS/Nintendo) for much MUCH better CPUs, and all three seem to fail to deliver in that manner.

Devs don't just say "MOAR POWER PLEASE," they have specific requests which aren't always cost-feasible.

Dunno, Crytek (iirc) was demanding 8 GB RAM pre-PS4 launch, and until Sony's last minute RAM bump, it looked like a rather delusional wish.

Or if those rumblings about the fallout between EA and Nintendo during the Wii U launch hold any truth, there've been demands to use their online-platform instead of Nintendo's eShop and all, demanding a console manufacturer to leave control over such a vital element in the hands of a third party with a fickle nature sounds rather crazy to me.
Imagine the disaster if this happened and the Wii U still tanked? No control over your systems online-infrastructure and the one in charge not being interested due to the console being a flop. ^^

I was thinking of things like OS features, online infrastructure, and things like that. If NX is anywhere in the Xbone/PS4 range, I wouldn't think 3rd parties would have an issue...unless there are secret plans to phase out those consoles sooner rather than later.

Dunno, Crytek (iirc) was demanding 8 GB RAM pre-PS4 launch, and until Sony's last minute RAM bump, it looked like a rather delusional wish.

Or if those rumblings about the fallout between EA and Nintendo during the Wii U launch hold any truth, there've been demands to use their online-platform instead of Nintendo's eShop and all, demanding a console manufacturer to leave control over such a vital element in the hands of a third party with a fickle nature sounds rather crazy to me.
Imagine the disaster if this happened and the Wii U still tanked? No control over your systems online-infrastructure and the one in charge not being interested due to the console being a flop. ^^

Surely, that would have been disastrous. Still not sure about how accurate those rumors were though.

Peltz

Which quote?

So when will Nintendo unveil the NX? Do we at least know that?

Reveal will be in 2016.

Servbot24

Banned
Kimishima also believes that the NX concept has potential to be bigger than the Wii.

Whatever it is.. Nintendo is definitely trying to make sure they aren't repeating the same mistakes. It's insane how tight lipped they are about this concept.
They always listen. And they always decide that they know better than everyone else.

Thraktor

I'm pretty sure the Kimishima quote is referring to Nintendo's internal developers, rather than third parties.

Rodin

Maybe they panicked when they caught wind of the rumors of updated systems.
I'm pretty sure they don't give a flying fuck about those.

I'm pretty sure the Kimishima quote is referring to Nintendo's internal developers, rather than third parties.
And he also said that they were listening to those feedbacks, not outright ignoring them.

I hope the idea is hybrid console or easy portability between portable and home device.
The former was dismissed by Iwata, the latter was heavily implied multiple times.

Schnozberry

That was my initial read as well. He just referred to the open ended term "developers", so I guess it could be either or both.

In either case, it doesn't seem that controversial to me. Finding a balance between features and the cost/value proposition of the console is what everybody does when finalizing these things.

Hopefully the NX idea is ahead of its time like the Wii (motion controls) rather than a concept that wasn't that new like the Wii U (touch screen).

Also hoping it isn't something as hard for 3rd party companies to make games for as Nintendo's past two consoles. I want innovative, yet simple.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Not to call you out, but I don't have any recollection of spec talk or Nintendo statements that suggest this to be true. Do you have a link? If you're referring to the dev kit downgrade, I don't remember them mentioning outright what that meant in terms of power relative to the other systems.

He's known for latching onto rumors that put the system in a bad light and disregarding ones that are positive.

Wrong. I'm skeptical of anything, but when multiple reliable sources are saying the same thing, there's likely a reason. There hasn't been a single reliable rumor about the GPU being better than Xbone. That said, I've also pointed out that there's something really fishy about all of the rumors and I suspect that some of those reliable sources have been mislead.

I'm pretty sure they don't give a flying fuck about those.

Oh no, that definitely shook them and shat all over their plans. However, there's nothing they can do about it.

Top Bottom