• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto Says Nintendo Looking To Increase Internal Staff To Create More Projects

Darryl

Banned
What do you guys think about this quote from the Interview?

Read the whole paragraph for more context:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/21/the-future-of-nintendo-game-development

I don´t really understand what he means with this statement.
Is "leverage the capabilities of Retro Studios further" related to the past by giving them DKC or is it related to a future project?

Yea, that's a confusing quote. It could either mean that they're making Donkey Kong because they're a quality studio, or that they plan on making more graphically intensive games in the future. Either way, it's pretty embarrassing as a fan that they've got to explain themselves for making a Donkey Kong game.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Don't forget:
Nintendo releases new franchise --> *crickets*

Heck, people were meh on Xenoblade when it was Monado: Beginning of the World, then when they relaunched it under the Xeno name everyone was hyped up just because of a screenshot of the title screen art and a piano track.
You mean that game Nintendo never talked about and randomly put a trailer in a press kit after E3 with no mention of it?

This post is so wrong.

Why should Nintendo try and create similar titles to their competitors?

Nintendo has gotten where it has today and in the past by carving out it's own share of the gaming pie.

Killzone, Resistance, Crackdown and Infamous are mediocre franchises in genres that are over saturated to say the least.

Nintendo has well over 30 I.P's under their umbrella and the only thing Nintendo have lacked is the ability to produce game's in reasonable time periods.

I would love a new Chibi Robo, F-Zero, Puzzle League, Pilotwings and Sin & Punishment.

I know though that unless Nintendo can come up with a justification other than a revival for the sake of revival none of these will ever surface.

I hope some of the young dev's in Nintendo step up and bring about change. That's the only way IMHO we'll see a shift happen.

Let´s not make your biased subjective opinion as a fact, shall we?

big_erk

If they seriously want big western 3rd party publishers to start bringing their games to WiiU (and their future consoles) they don't need only more stuff for their internal studios in Japan but they also need to build (or acquire) more western studios to come with new IPs and budget them accordingly.

What do big western 3rd party publishers and them acquiring western studios have to do with one another?

thefro

They don't just own a controlling share they own it all. If you don't consider then 1st party then neither is Retro. Monolith ever help to work on Skyward Sword. The count whether you like it or not. You just refuse to count them since it does not fit your argument.

They don't quite own the entire company, but close enough

http://www.monolithsoft.co.jp/company/profile.html

Nintendo owns 2320 of the 2400 shares of Monolith Soft (96.67%)... Hirohide Sugiura and Tetsuya Takahashi own 30 shares each and Yasuyuki Honne has 20 shares.

wildfire

Banned
I didn't think they would spend the money to do this which is why I kept harping on the idea they should continue moneyhatting 3rd parties for titles like Bayonetta and Sonic or create an ambassador program to make tablet features for 3rd parites while they do everything else for their ports.

Not only is this a better move because they have greater creative control of the development teams they absorb; but it's also the biggest indicator that Nintendo understands they can't rely on 3rd parties to deliver content like they used to during the Wii era, and they are too far gone to even dream about SNES era support.

This is a very big step for Nintendo but the problem with hiring teams now is that we won't see any content from them for at least 3 years.

If current Nintendo teams are so far behind on development they will have a steady stream of games in 2014-2016 then this isn't a problem. If the current teams will be finished by 2014 - 1st third of 2015 then Nintendo is going to have another 2 rough years of very little content.

big_erk

Not sure why they've suddenly noticed this. I've been saying they should do this since the damn gamecube days when we all came to the realization that 3rd party support might not always be where they want it.

It's not that they suddenly noticed this. Nintendo is a fairly conservative company, and it has served them well in some respects. In others it can be a hindrance. They do not rush willy nilly into staff expansion. On one hand this is good, you are less likely to be overstaffed. On the other, you are more likely to be caught off guard when the workload spikes as it has in the last couple of years. That, coupled with the fact that I'm sure they are pretty selective tends to drag the process out.

big_erk

hahaha. guys, I didn't mean to open a can of worms. I'm on your side. I just happened to be referring to actual internal, core, Nintendo titles. I understand that monolith and others work only for Nintendo, but when I made that statement, in my heart I was talking about internal nintendo titles by nintendo's internal teams.

Monolith is now Nintendo first party IIRC.

KingJ2002

this is good news... there are many franchises under nintendo's belt that need to come back to the forefront.

Star Fox, Wave Race, 1080 Snowboarding, F-Zero, Excitebike are easy gimmie's

i would even bring back Silicon Knights to make sure the eternal darkness followup stays Wii U exclusive

What's clear though is that Nintendo needs the Wii Sports franchise. Nintendo Land was a dud as far as mindshare so they need that franchise to come back and really drive sales.

this is good news... there are many franchises under nintendo's belt that need to come back to the forefront.

Star Fox, Wave Race, 1080 Snowboarding, F-Zero, Excitebike are easy gimmie's

i would even bring back Silicon Knights to make sure the eternal darkness followup stays Wii U exclusive

What's clear though is that Nintendo needs the Wii Sports franchise. Nintendo Land was a dud as far as mindshare so they need that franchise to come back and really drive sales.

It's not a Silicon Knights owned franchise, and the new game is a followup in spirit only. Nintendo own the IP.

Frolow

Banned
Do you think they would expand NST? Right now NST is Nintendo's only internal North American development team, and they've been limited to making smaller retail titles and various eShop games.

This is bologna. Nintendo has the means to make the titles they DO release much better with features like online co op and better online multiplayer options, but they just don't.

They just don't care about the landscape as much as we do, bottom line.

Kurtofan

I think it's pretty fair to say Resistance and Killzone are very mediocre games. Especially Resistance.

That's the problem of trying to make big new ips all the time, if you compare Ratchet and Clank to Resistance, well Insomniac should have stuck with R and C.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Big dumb elephant slowly plodding along /Bosman

This shit should have been done and dusted 2 years ago. Its like watching someone hit by a noro-noro/slow-mo beam.

I wonder when we'll see the effects of this. If work has been going on for a while and we get a glimpse of the increased output next year, that would be great. Long droughts is always the worst thing about Nintendo consoles, and getting rid of them would be fantastic.

jgmo870

Banned
This post is so wrong.

Nintendo has gotten where it has today and in the past by carving out it's own share of the gaming pie.

Killzone, Resistance, Crackdown and Infamous are mediocre franchises in genres that are over saturated to say the least.

Nintendo has well over 30 I.P's under their umbrella and the only thing Nintendo have lacked is the ability to produce game's in reasonable time periods.

I would love a new Chibi Robo, F-Zero, Puzzle League, Pilotwings and Sin & Punishment.

I know though that unless Nintendo can come up with a justification other than a revival for the sake of revival none of these will ever surface.

I hope some of the young dev's in Nintendo step up and bring about change. That's the only way IMHO we'll see a shift happen.

Are you really saying the (traversal heavy) sandbox sub-genre was over saturated when Crackdown and inFamous came out? You have to be really out of touch with gaming to believe crap like that.

Good news. If 3rd parties aren't willing to support your platforms, do it yourself. I just hope that this leads to a wider variety of genres and franchises on both Wii U and 3DS. Also more stuff that isn't explicitly Nintendo-like, stuff like Xenoblade, Sin & Punishment etc.

Another thing Nintendo has to rethink, in my opinion, is being a global corporation with such a huge focus on and concentration in Japan. I'm not saying that they should target CoD-audiences but expanding their American and European development presence would be a great way to bring in different types of games that can't/won't be done by their Japanese teams.

They should have done so when they were drowning in Wii/DS money at the peak of their popularity - and I (and many others) said so at the time. Maybe they could've spported the Wii properly, and had a smoother transition to the Wii U (and some games ready to go).

But I guess "desperate Nintendo is the best Nintendo". Better late than never. I really thought it'd be never.

Coolwhip

Banned
Good news. If 3rd parties aren't willing to support your platforms, do it yourself. I just hope that this leads to a wider variety of genres and franchises on both Wii U and 3DS. Also more stuff that isn't explicitly Nintendo-like, stuff like Xenoblade, Sin & Punishment etc.

Another thing Nintendo has to rethink, in my opinion, is being a global corporation with such a huge focus on and concentration in Japan. I'm not saying that they should target CoD-audiences but expanding their American and European development presence would be a great way to bring in different types of games that can't/won't be done by their Japanese teams.

Indeed. They also need a presence in Europe. Open a studio here Nintendo!

Sadist

This post is so wrong.

You'd be amazed how many people think Nintendo needs these types of games to attract a new audience, because obviously Mario and Zelda lost their magic. We've seen those franchises a lot over the past years and people want something new.

I'm joking.

On a serious note, they believe that when Nintendo ventures in those genres they can attract more people because of their name. The market would give them the benefit of the doubt because they're, well, Nintendo. I don't think it works that way and honestly Nintendo doesn't have a lot to gain in those genres/marketspace.

GC|Simon

They should have started with this during the Wii era in preparation for their first HD system. They also shouldn't focus too much on Japan. They should buy Monster Games as well as Next Level games and grow them carefully. Also grow Retro. NST should maybe also go back to make games. Their Wave Race and 1080° games were not THAT good they were good fits for the overall line-up. In my opinion it would also make sense to start/buy a European studio. Having a truly global development organization might help to cover more different types of games which is really necessary when the 3rd party support is not really there.

Whatever they do... it will take years until we really notice in terms of game output. You simply cannot massively increase the number and seize of development teams while maintaining the company culture and level of quality.

Smokey

I wish Nintendo would invest heavily on some western studios because it's not looking like they're going to get much western 3rd party support this gen. Maybe even less than the Wii as the Wii U hasn't taken off in the same way and the architecture is even more different. (At least the Wii was PowerPC like the 360 and PS3, but now the WiiU is PowerPC and the XbOne and PS4 are x86).

Nintendo needs their own Killzone/Resistance FPS, their own crackdown/infamous open world game, their own Forza/Gran Turismo driving game, and they need some western RPG presence as they have and probably will continue missing out on Bioware's games (Mass Effect/Dragon Age) and Bethesda's games (Fallout/Skyrim).

That's 4 game genre's that Nintendo is missing out on. Create 4 western studios and give them healthy development time (2 years) to make quality games. That'd be what I'd do.

You are basically saying that Nintendo needs more ''AAA'' western titles on their system, and I just don't think that is in their philosophy or company culture. Those types of games are aimed at an older audience, one that Nintendo doesn't seem all that interested in attracting. Its glaringly obvious that these titles are missing from their systems but I just don't think they really care at the end of the day. As long as they continue to push their main brands and introduce some new 'feature' in each iteration they will be happy.

You are basically saying that Nintendo needs more ''AAA'' western titles on their system, and I just don't think that is in their philosophy or company culture. Those types of games are aimed at an older audience, one that Nintendo doesn't seem all that interested in attracting. Its glaringly obvious that these titles are missing from their systems but I just don't think they really care at the end of the day. As long as they continue to push their main brands and introduce some new 'feature' in each iteration they will be happy.

Nintendo will care very soon when they continue to fail to meet sale projections and can't turn a profit.

In regards to genres: one of Nintendo's defining features when it comes to genres like those is that it rarely tends to just make games in the existing molds. Instead, it usually comes from a new idea, that then ends up being similar in style to an existing genre but its own distinct entity. Mario Kart isn't like other racing games, Metroid Prime isn't like other FPSs, Pikmin isn't like other RTSs, Smash isn't like other fighting games.

If Nintendo made an open world game, or a more traditional FPS, or a more realistic driving game, etc., it would probably be a similar situation.

I'd be interested to see a proper open-world title from Nintendo though, considering so many devs use a big world in lieu of actual content. It's open, but there's nothing to do in the open space. It's for the sake of it, rather than using the environment to facilitate gameplay necessity.

Watashiwa

You are basically saying that Nintendo needs more ''AAA'' western titles on their system, and I just don't think that is in their philosophy or company culture. Those types of games are aimed at an older audience, one that Nintendo doesn't seem all that interested in attracting. Its glaringly obvious that these titles are missing from their systems but I just don't think they really care at the end of the day.

Not even. AAA games are aimed at a single demographic: males age 16-25. Nintendo hits demographics above and below that, and appeals to women as well. They're much healthier demographically than most of their competitors. As long as they make games that can sell to any of those demographics, which this move makes possible at a greater rate, they'll be able to do that.

gemoran4

Awesome, excited about this news. Honestly I would love to see some more reboots to their old franchises, like they did with kid icarus (i actually wouldn't mind a sequel to uprising, though i still haven't beaten it yet so the story may not have much to lend for a followup)

Awesome, excited about this news. Honestly I would love to see some more reboots to their old franchises, like they did with kid icarus (i actually wouldn't mind a sequel to uprising, though i still haven't beaten it yet so the story may not have much to lend for a followup)

...also i haven't on here in a few days, did neogaf change the layout for the website (i know wrong thread, but im too lazy to open up the correct thread and type this there)

Apparently Sakurai says that's off the cards, as far as he's concerned. But;

1) Nintendo says what goes with the IP
2) He's seemed reluctant to return to SSB before, and has anyway
3) Over 1m worldwide isn't too shabby for a resurrected IP from yesteryear.

I remember an interview this year regarding monolith where an nintendo exec said he considers the monolith acquisition a success and would do similar stuff in the future. Has anybody read that interview?

PhantomR

Banned
Next-Level Games needs to become first-party.

YES. YES. YES, YES.

I don't think it matters where the development studios are. Does Metroid Prime, Donkey Kong Country Returns, or Luigi's Mansion 2 scream "I was made in the West" any more than any other Nintendo game?

Exactly. This "West is Best" philosophy needs to be taken out back and shot. So long as the development studio makes high quality stuff it doesn't matter. I'd love for NCL to pick up Next Level just as much as I'd love for NCL to pickup Platinum Games or Level 5.

Tiktaalik

I should bloody hope they're increasing internal staff levels. Nintendo simply isn't putting out enough product at the moment. They need to be releasing a lot more titles.

Top Bottom