• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto's 3 projects detailed [TIME]: Star Fox, Project Giant Robot, Project Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdanVC

DCsdSAE.jpg

By the looks of this, It is going to have some beautiful lighting ala Mario Kart 8, Wind Waker and Pikmin 3!!! God damn I need to see the official trailer of this it looks damn cool!

DSN2K

Nintendo need games not experimental projects, these should have been at e3 last year not a year into the hardware life cycle of a failing platform.

WiiU is dead

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The Robot one doesn't inspire me
The "Tower defense" is curious
The Star fox episodic edition: I'm in. I loved Metroid blast gyro controls too, so...

SykoTech

Was very, very happy about Star Fox, until I saw how it was played.

Please have alternate control schemes. Not interested in Lair 2: Barrel Roll Edition.

Other 2 projects sound pretty uninteresting, but hopefully some gameplay will change that.

nbthedude

Omg omg omg star fox. Please don't be a port, please don't be a port.

It's fucking Star Fox with Wii Waggle but using a 2 pound controller. Ugh. I'll wait until after the Nintendo Direct but my Wii U may be headed for the trade in desk at Gamestop for Steam credit.

Chaos17

DO A BARREL ROOOOLLLL

EDIT: Oh, this isn't an actual game? Welp.

We don't know that yet since there will like 20 hours of Nintendo shows during the next few days. So yeah, there is a chance that some early projects will be shown in these shows instead of showing them today.

Tuesday, June 10: 11:35 AM PT – 4:00 PM PT
Wednesday, June 11: 9:15 AM PT – 6:00 PM PT
Thursday, June 12: 9:30 AM PT – 5:00 PM PT

Originally Posted by DSN2K

Nintendo need games not experimental projects, these should have been at e3 last year not a year into the hardware life cycle of a failing platform.

WiiU is dead
Go tell that to EA

Shinta

Banned
By the looks of this, It is going to have some beautiful lighting ala Mario Kart 8, Wind Waker and Pikmin 3!!! God damn I need to see the official trailer of this it looks damn cool!

He just finished Pikmin.

Already into 3 other projects. I'd say he's doing okay.

that quote is from the article

If I was a reporter, I would really question him how they couldn't get Star Fox working on the Wii when the Wii remote / nunchuck combo is perfectly suited to a rail shooter as proven by Sin & Punishment 2. Especially when he is saying they were working on the idea for between 4 and 6 years. How is that even remotely possible? I don't know if he realizes it, but he's making Nintendo sound totally inept.

doofy102

This news leaves me cold. I don't really want small, experimental titles from Nintendo.

People really want Nintendo to experiment and reach new ideas, but the reality is that new things are a risk, and so these projects are, for good reason, kept small until they EARN the right to have larger budget expansions.

Kojima's statement a while ago about the "TV pilot" idea for new video games was more relevant that people realised.

You're never going to get an AAA Nintendo game that is completely original. It's probably not even negotiable. Given the state of a lot of modern AAA shown at E3, you should be glad Nintendo is doing things like this. This is not a new game, this is like a kickstarter.

The Lamp

Ugh... Star Fox. Good that they brought it back I guess, it's just not my favorite. On rails shooters bore me to the fucking bone.

At least I have Zelda and Smash :)

WiiU is dead
Are you forgetting Yoshi Yarn, X, Bayonetta 2, Super Smash Brothers, and Zelda? There are a couple of other titles that they're probably announcing today. All companies experiment on projects. Iwata said they'll also be showing games very early in development.

GDGF

Soothsayer
When you think about it, an episodic Star Fox series makes perfect sense.

The games pride themselves on being about a group of mercenaries for hire. They settle for just about any job out there that will pay them. "Save the galaxy" epics are a rarity when it comes to them.

Also; Star Fox 64 was a very, very sparse game, but it invited endless replayability. If a game like that was released, it probably would be a $9.99 game on a digital storefront.

If that's what Miyamoto can provide; Star Fox 64 sized games with a regular season-esque output and endless of replay incentives, then I am all for it. My hype engines are fucking ROCKING.

Hell to the fuck yeah.

This is exactly where I stand on the matter.

but we didn’t find an idea that really brought that together for the Wii. So instead we moved experimentation to the Wii U using some of the same assets. It’s been maybe 6 to 10 months that we’ve been experimenting with it.

There you have it. Placeholder graphics. Also only 10 months of development at max. i suppose if the control scheme finally works, artists will start working on the project.

SparkTR

I'm really hoping this is a tiny part of the presentation. I don't want Miyamoto explaining mechanics for tech demos for too long.

Everything is speculation at this point.

This is similar to the situation with the original Wii demos that eventually became Wii Sports. These are gameplay concepts. Actual shippable games are 12-18 months off.

It is speculation as we don't officially know... but this seems pretty cut and dry to me:

TIME: You said at the event that all of these games might be related. In what way? As part of a single Star Fox game? Or as something more multiform and arcade-like, like Nintendo Land?

SM: Honestly I don’t have a clear idea myself yet, but one thing I’m thinking is that with this Star Fox we may take a different approach, so that rather than one big title we have multiple releases that are connected through different missions. If I was to describe the Star Fox series up until now as being sort of a movie series, I guess I’d describe this new approach as something that’s more like a TV series for Star Fox.

Ugh... Star Fox. Good that they brought it back I guess, it's just not my favorite. On rails shooters bore me to the fucking bone.

At least I have Zelda and Smash :)

This one may not be on rails. Star Fox Assault and Command focused more on free-roaming levels, and I'm guessing the focus on gyro controls means you'll have plenty of freedom to swoop around in all directions, suggesting a more Rogue Squadron style of game design.

DJwest

The hype for Star Fox is ridiculous, get a grip guys. At least let's see a trailer or something, jeez. That part about a new control scheme suited for the gamepad is especially scary lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom