• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto's 3 projects detailed [TIME]: Star Fox, Project Giant Robot, Project Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
This guy gets it. For real.
No. That is the worst argument. Nintendo knows damn well the kind of experience gamers want from a full retail Star Fox. But it would be too much of a risk to put the resources into making that vision a reality so instead they curb that risk by giving us shallow episodic games. Don't try to spin this in their favor. Nintendo is very risk averse and right now they're just trying to fill in the gaps with what appears to be a quick cash in of a beloved series. We'll soon see.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I guess these 3 prototypes will be worked up into the 'GamePad-focused' titles Iwata was talking about.

NEW STAR FOX

Hatchtag

Banned
And you know this how?

Read the article. He mentions repeatedly that they're early in development, and doesn't strike down the notion that they won't be minigames. He mentions Starfox could be episodic. They don't seem to be full games at all, and they don't seem like they'll be released for at least a year.

Wow, well, that was unexpected. I logged in to GAF today planning to just find the E3 Nintendo thread and get ready for the Direct, and the first thing I see is new Star Fox confirmed!

Today's gonna be a good day.

JoeM86

No. That is the worst argument. Nintendo knows damn well the kind of experience gamers want from a full retail Star Fox. But it would be too much of a risk to put the resources into making that vision a reality so instead they curb that risk by giving us shallow episodic games. Don't try to spin this in their favor. Nintendo is very risk averse and right now they're just trying to fill in the gaps with what appears to be a quick cash in of a beloved series. We'll soon see.

You say they're spinning in Nintendo's favour. I argue you're spinning the other way. Nothing said that it was actually shallow or episodic. You're assuming.

Mik317

I'm really starting to dislike this place nowadays.

yeah.

I begin to seriously question how some people get through their days being this pessimistic.

Sometimes it helps to be positive about things. Ok, you may not like motion controls but how about being positive and keeping an open mind or at least wait to see if there is some traditional controls....and if not and you dont like it? Its not that big of a deal. At least the series isn't dead. You can't be this negative all the time guys,,,,it's not healthy

This guy gets it. For real.

Its a terrible argument. Like fans are just obliged to buy all the mediocre Star Fox Adventures and Star Fox Command games just because they have Star Fox in the title. Like its the fans fault you decided to make a game that wasn't like everyone's favorite entry in the series, Star Fox 64/Star Fox 2

"Gee whiz, people didn't buy DmC, I guess we can just cancel DMC5 and future installments, fans just don't want more Devil May Cry games! No other logical conclusion can be drawn from this turn of events!"

Nicktendo86

I dunno if I would call them risk averse after funding w101, bayonetta and making pikmin 3, they were hardly bankers for massive sales.

jimboton

This news leaves me cold. I don't really want small, experimental titles from Nintendo.

Yeah, me neither. Especially when it's been the same fucking experiment in stylus/motion/wiipad gimmicky controls for more than ten years now, and it's never really worked.

Star Fox in an episodic format? Holy shit, Miyamoto, way to be forward-thinking. The industry needs more episodic games that aren't adventure games. Or made by Telltale. Because those guys kind of have a monopoly on the whole format at the moment (not their fault, mind you).

Honestly, I would've done something similar were I in charge of a new Star Fox.

traveler

Not Wario

Putting 6 years of varying degrees of dev resources and consideration behind an IP is Nintendo being scared of truly investing in it or giving it what it deserves? Episodic is inherently shallow? A quick cash in? What? We don't even have details on how they're going to monetize it, and, just judging from the information here, it seems like they have a great deal of care for the IP and want to do something new and interesting with it.

Chaos17

The hype for Star Fox is ridiculous, get a grip guys. At least let's see a trailer or something, jeez. That part about a new control scheme suited for the gamepad is especially scary lol

You don't know about the Last Guardian do you ?
It's the same effect here but we never to dream about it.

Otnopolit

Can everybody stop losing their minds and wait 20 damn minutes for some actual footage until we declare if it sucks or not? OR, maybe let's play it first. Please? Sound good? You're driving me up a wall this E3, GAF.

NotSelf

samus_jackson_by_eramthgin_1027501-d5n8avh.gif

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Star Fox in an episodic format? Holy shit, Miyamoto, way to be forward-thinking. The industry needs more episodic games that aren't adventure games. Or made by Telltale. Because those guys kind of have a monopoly on the whole format at the moment (not their fault, mind you).

Honestly, I would've done something similar were I in charge of a new Star Fox.

Miyamoto and upper-branch pretty much decided on this model sometime ago. Steel Diver: Subwars. I think it is the future of niche Nintendo franchises. All the big party games retail, the Nintendo otaku stuff straight digital subscription more or less.

Miyamoto said he was stepping back to make smaller projects a long time ago. Don't see the big surprise.

EAD and Nintendo have been doing this for years already. Thew newest EAD venture is episodic digital games though (Star Fox / Steel Diver).

Ansatz

But we already know it's going to be there. There is no difference between that and the Star Fox leak.

The surprise comes from artstyle, gameplay theme (mirror world etc.), items and so on. Not the fact that it's a new Zelda game. Likewise, "Star Fox" by name can encompass alot of things, it could be an Adventures style game for all we know. With this Star Fox we have some idea how it will be, so it's different status from Zelda which is a completely unknown quantity.

DedValve

Banned
Still better than MS's conference spoiled a month ahead. I dunno what it is but Microsoft really needs to plug up their leaks. It is getting plain silly.

Or sony and bloodborne. Imagine the reaction we would have had if that had shown out of nowhere "oh and one more thing here's a miyazaki from/japan game....BITCHES"

Man I hate leaks. Ruins half the fun of E3.

At least Ridley is still a secret!
hold me ;_;

DeaviL

Banned
It's fucking Star Fox with Wii Waggle but using a 2 pound controller. Ugh. I'll wait until after the Nintendo Direct but my Wii U may be headed for the trade in desk at Gamestop for Steam credit.

If you want some facts, the Wii U gamepad weighs about 1 pound.
If you can't even lift that, i fear for your life.

doofy102

I'm just happy Wii U is still getting games made for it. GAF had me paranoid for a while that there'd actually be nothing for next year, lol

GAF still can't pin down Nintendo.

HoJu

If you move with the control stick and aim with the gamepad, isn't that basically the Sin and Punishment 2 control scheme? Right guys? everything is going to be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom