• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Mike Francesa Fan Club |OT3|

Status
Not open for further replies.
speaking of season predictions, here are GAF's season predictions: http://sdrv.ms/PJPUxR
  • everyone picked the orioles to finish last....oops
  • al central winner was unanimous (tigers) except for zulux21 who picked the Indians (tigers WC)
  • everyone was down on the white sox (last, supermalo 4th) except for me and BigJonsson (both 2nd).
  • nemss and Acheron_xl picked the nationals to win the east, McNei1y picked them to be the 2nd WC.
  • Mrbob was almost correct about his 140 loss prediction for the cubs
  • I blame Sanjuro for my AL East prediction.

hey I got both NL wild cards right (so far)

zulux21

The only teams I got right were the Giants, Tigers and Rangers. :(

If the O's pass the Yanks, it'll be 4/10.

despite everything you are not in fact correct on the tigers yet there are still 6 games left and stranger things have happened in the last 6 games then a team make up a 2 game gap :p

This taught me to always keep the faith until the very end

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Probably that it made no sense for them not to. Actually it still kind of doesn't.
Its hilarious that they have 9.5 fWAR from one player (not to mention pujols and hunter over 4, then you have weaver, grienke etc..) and they only have 86 wins.

Whoops. Thanks for the correction. St Louis is the better team so I'm guessing they won't choke away a 3 game lead. But I still have misguided hope for the Dodgers :-
According to everyone before the season started the dodgers were supposed to finish 4th in their division. lol

beast786

despite everything you are not in fact correct on the tigers yet there are still 6 games left and stranger things have happened in the last 6 games then a team make up a 2 game gap :p

the choke already happened tough, with soxs down 2 games just a week ago when they were up 3

speaking of season predictions, here are GAF's season predictions: http://sdrv.ms/PJPUxR
  • al central winner was unanimous (tigers) except for zulux21 who picked the Indians (tigers WC)
  • everyone was down on the white sox (last, supermalo 4th) except for me and BigJonsson (both 2nd).
  • nemss and Acheron_xl picked the nationals to win the east, McNei1y picked them to be the 2nd WC.

Not terrible! I do have one crazy prediction because I always pick one crazy one so it'll make me look like Vastradamas if it comes true. Turns out, that should have been the Orioles instead of the Rockies. lol

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member

Ah, for a freak of nature like me with two teams, this is such a good video. That night was something magic.

I wouldn't rule out another magic run by any of the wild cards or even the AL Central this next week. After last year anything is possible. I'm pulling that my Rays will sweep the Sox, but the Tigers just love to lose the lead late in the season, so it is entirely possible we could see a 163 again for AL Central champ.

Also, with the Braves celebrating how they did, I think it was fine. There were plenty of things to celebrate and it was a bit of redemption from last years team, plus the whole last year for Chipper thing. So let them be happy and get lazy and lose the Wild Card game to the Cardinals, it will be ok by me.

tc farks

I hope Miguel Cabrera wins the Triple Crown then Trout wins MVP as he rightfully should just to see how many old baseball pundits have a stroke. And well, how many people in general go off on that one.

Unfortunately it won't happen though.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Personally I hope Cabrera doesn't win the triple crown and doesn't get a single MVP vote. I hate that shit head.

The Tsuyoshi Nishioka nightmare is officially over for the Twins. He asked for his unconditional release. The Twins accepted, and probably did a backflip since he agreed to not collect his 2013 salary. A happy ending to one of the stupidest movies Bill Smith made. That's more than I can say about basically any of the others. Hopefully Nick Blackburn does the same.

Personally I hope Cabrera doesn't win the triple crown and doesn't get a single MVP vote. I hate that shit head.

The Tsuyoshi Nishioka nightmare is officially over for the Twins. He asked for his unconditional release. The Twins accepted, and probably did a backflip since he agreed to not collect his 2013 salary. A happy ending to one of the stupidest movies Bill Smith made. That's more than I can say about basically any of the others. Hopefully Nick Blackburn does the same.
Nick Swisher took Nishioka's life force chakra when he took out his knee last year.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

This is actually amazing. How many people would be willing to walk away from $3.25 million? Pretty cool to see a guy with some dignity and self-respect to refuse to just take the money that he obviously felt like he didn't earn.

Jangocube

Banned

Ha! Screw you guys for doubting the Birds.

Awesome, awesome day.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
"I take full responsibility for my performance which was below my own expectations. At this time, I have made the decision that it is time to part ways. I have no regrets and know that only through struggle can a person grow stronger."

He even apologized for being a scrub. Amazing.

turnbuckle

Personally I hope he wins the triple crown. He may have gotten beaten up by his wife, but at least he didn't kill a fan and doesn't cry about the sun being in his eyes.

McNei1y

That day was a great day indeed. I was able to watch all three games. I don't think I got any of my work done because of this night. It was baseball heaven.

GSoHQ.jpg

verbum

That day was a great day indeed. I was able to watch all three games. I don't think I got any of my work done because of this night. It was baseball heaven.

That long choke by the Braves still sticks in my craw. I haven't watched many games this year because of it.
I'll finally believe in them again if they make it to the Championship game, they don't even have to get to the WS this year. Just prove they can not choke in a game where the pressure is on them.

Good on the Braves for making it this far with McCann and Uggla having mediocre years.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
"I take full responsibility for my performance which was below my own expectations. At this time, I have made the decision that it is time to part ways. I have no regrets and know that only through struggle can a person grow stronger."

He even apologized for being a scrub. Amazing.
Yeah, he seems like a good guy. I think the biggest problem here was the Twins basically putting all their eggs in the basket of what would be an unknown quantity. I'm sure he felt very pressured to perform, and getting his leg broken by Swisher's filthy takeout slide didn't help matters. I hope things go great for him in Japan, honestly.

tc farks

The Orioles are amazing. They've worked their way all the up to a -1 run differential and are 22 games above .500. Even Powerball winners are impressed by that amount of luck.

INTANGIBLES/GRIT/ICE COLD

I don't know where I'm going with this it's just interesting

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Personally I hope he wins the triple crown. He may have gotten beaten up by his wife, but at least he didn't kill a fan and doesn't cry about the sun being in his eyes.
I dislike Mr. Hamilton as well, but at least when he falls off the bandwagon and gets hammered he just has co-eds doing body shots off him. Miggy threatens to blow up the bar. :(

turnbuckle

I dislike Mr. Hamilton as well, but at least when he falls off the bandwagon and gets hammered he just has co-eds doing body shots off him. Miggy threatens to blow up the bar. :(

Oh I don't defend the shit Miguel does off the field. I think he's done a lot to work in that area but, like Hamilton, it's hard to put full faith in professional athletes (or anyone) with a history of substance abuse problems to stay clean for too long. On the field though I really like the guy. Not just because of his bat, but because (and this sounds lame) he really looks like he's having fun out on the field. He's kind of a big, goofy, teddy bear that unfortunately likes to drink and fly off the handle from time to time. If he had the demeanor of Delmon Young I'd like him about as much as I like Hamilton (which isn't very much at all).

And that's why I'm scared to death of the Tigers signing Hamilton. Only person I'd want less is Delmon Young. Can you guys please take him back?

tangent: been going back and re-listening to the up and in podcast while playing Diablo 3 every night and it's funny to hear how high Goldstein was on Delmon Young in 2010. Those podcasts make for a great re-listen, especially seeing as how a lot of the guys are now in the league and producing (Trout, Machado) while some are turning up busts (Andy Oliver).

cashman

Banned
Oh I don't defend the shit Miguel does off the field. I think he's done a lot to work in that area but, like Hamilton, it's hard to put full faith in professional athletes (or anyone) with a history of substance abuse problems to stay clean for too long. On the field though I really like the guy. Not just because of his bat, but because (and this sounds lame) he really looks like he's having fun out on the field. He's kind of a big, goofy, teddy bear that unfortunately likes to drink and fly off the handle from time to time. If he had the demeanor of Delmon Young I'd like him about as much as I like Hamilton (which isn't very much at all).

And that's why I'm scared to death of the Tigers signing Hamilton. Only person I'd want less is Delmon Young. Can you guys please take him back?

tangent: been going back and re-listening to the up and in podcast while playing Diablo 3 every night and it's funny to hear how high Goldstein was on Delmon Young in 2010. Those podcasts make for a great re-listen, especially seeing as how a lot of the guys are now in the league and producing (Trout, Machado) while some are turning up busts (Andy Oliver).
Yeah man Miggy just likes to drive a little drunk and beat the shit out of his wife every once in a while, but it's really no big deal. He's just a fun guy

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Only person I'd want less is Delmon Young. Can you guys please take him back?
Fuck no. Having to watch him flail away as a Twin for 3½ seasons after trading Matt Garza for him was bad enough. I'm going to laugh and laugh when some team stupidly gives him a contract worth more than like $3 million/season.

Jangocube

Banned
The Orioles are amazing. They've worked their way all the up to a -1 run differential and are 22 games above .500. Even Powerball winners are impressed by that amount of luck.

INTANGIBLES/GRIT/ICE COLD

I don't know where I'm going with this it's just interesting

Don't try to analyze it man, just admire the beauty.

turnbuckle

Yeah man Miggy just likes to drive a little drunk and beat the shit out of his wife every once in a while, but it's really no big deal. He's just a fun guy

Don't make me out to be a person who supports or ignores domestic violence. From what I've read - and I can easily be swayed in the other direction - is that both he and his wife had a mutual fight and that it wasn't clear at all that he started it and the injuries both received were light bruises and scratches. That's certainly not a good thing, but it's not the wife beating story some make it out to be. I'm really not downplaying this shit either, if what actually happened is different than that and puts Miguel in a worse light it'd certainly change my opinion of him. And I don't excuse him for the "light bruises and scratches" by saying the things I like about him, either. But if you want to get on some moral high ground over me because I'm a fan of a player despite him doing some shit go ahead.

he looks like a kid out there.

It's ok to worship someone who was accused of punching his wife though?

Windu said:
Smoltzie.jpg

nice, I need a Bobby Cox one so I can kneel before it every night and worship it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom