• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare Remaster confirmed via emoji

Hip Hop

I wonder if this is even coming to the PC.

Original game still alive with many dedicated communities and servers.

I'm thinking they won't even bother.

antitrop

My campaign preference:

1. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
2. Call of Duty 2
3. Call of Duty (including United Offensive)
4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
5. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
6. Call of Duty: World at War
7. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
8. Call of Duty: Black Ops
9. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
10. Call of Duty: Ghosts
11. Call of Duty 3
12. Call of Duty: Black Ops III

Treyarch is really good at disappointing me with their follow-ups to the games I really liked. (2->3, 4->WaW, AW->BO3)

On a serious note, helicopter chaining in COD4 was a bigger problem than any of MW2's killstreak rewards. If you die in MW2, you can't call in a chopper and sit in a corner and earn another.

Loved it. If you didn't want me to get another you should have killed me then. Now I will kill you because you didn't kill me. Vicious cycle, but you need to kill me then.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Now now antitrop, I know you dislike Black Ops 3 but there's noooooooooooo waaaaaaaaaay in hell it's worse than COD3, no way man. A game that was made in around 8 months and which shows, hell I remember it being very buggy at the time too. You hate BLOPS3 that much ? :p It does make me chuckle though, deciding which Treyarch campaign you dislike most :p

El_Chino

My campaign preference:

2. Call of Duty 2
11. Call of Duty 3
WaW over Black Ops?

At least you got Black Ops 3 right ;)

antitrop

WaW over Black Ops?

At least you got Black Ops 3 right ;)
I prefer WaW mostly on the WWII setting and Gary Oldman's performance.

Now now antitrop, I know you dislike Black Ops 3 but there's noooooooooooo waaaaaaaaaay in hell it's worse than COD3, no way man. A game that was made in around 8 months and which shows, hell I remember it being very buggy at the time too. You hate BLOPS3 that much ? :p It does make me chuckle though, deciding which Treyarch campaign you dislike most :p
Main reasons CoD3 gets put above BLOPS3 for me is the WWII setting and the campaign not being focused on coop. I really hate everything about BLOPS3's campaign, like I don't have a single good thing to say about it. I hated everything about it, it's one of the worst gaming experiences I've ever had. There's a pretty huge gap between CoD3 and BLOPS3 for me on that list, despite them being right next to each other.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
COD4 Had not the SPAS-12.

LOL COD4.

On a serious note, helicopter chaining in COD4 was a bigger problem than any of MW2's killstreak rewards. If you die in MW2, you can't call in a chopper and sit in a corner and earn another.

Also MW2 maps were much better than COD4's. The good of COD4 was packaged into MW2 and the rest left behind. Which was most of them.

On a much more serious note...

...COD4 had not the SPAS-12.

I honestly never recall helicopter chaining in COD4 being an issue at all tbh. But I do remember people sitting in the corner in MW2 letting their harrier get free kills which then stacked giving them free helicopter/AC130 runs etc. Let's not act like MW2 wasn't full of bullshit.

Main reasons CoD3 gets put above BLOPS3 for me is the WWII setting and the campaign not being focused on coop. I really hate everything about BLOPS3's campaign, like I don't have a single good thing to say about it. I hated everything about it, it's one of the worst gaming experiences I've ever had. There's a pretty huge gap between CoD3 and BLOPS3 for me on that list, despite them being right next to each other.

Well I can understand that, especially with the setting reasons. I yearn for another big budget AAA WW2 shooter so badly.

antitrop

If the campaign was good then maybe, personally I think it's multiplayer is the best in the series.

The campaign is complete shit.
Ya, BLOPS 3 MP is pretty much as good as the campaign is shit.

BLOPS3 MP is the only online FPS I've bothered to put any time into since Titanfall.

I honestly never recall helicopter chaining in COD4 being an issue at all tbh. But I do remember people sitting in the corner in MW2 letting their harrier get free kills which then stacked giving them free helicopter/AC130 runs etc. Let's not act like MW2 wasn't full of bullshit.

It was only bullshit if you actively ignored countermeasures. If an entire team is being slaughtered by a Harrier, I'm blaming the team, not the person who called the Harrier in. That killstreak can be IMMEDIATELY destroyed by a single person even faster than a UAV. Don't repeatedly run into the slaughter and then complain about it being unfair.

Bolivar687

Banned
Black Ops 3 is my least favorite MP by default. It has less content and variety than any game in the series. With what little it has, almost all of the equipment and scorestreaks are directly lifted from Black Ops 2 and the unlock and customization system is exactly the same. Low TTK also doesn't work on small maps, it's just too random.

I really need a new CoD as AW is dead but maybe I should give BO3 another shot.

Bishop89

Are the people who like MW2 so much the people for whom that was their first COD? Cannot fathom any reason why one would prefer that to COD4 otherwise.
I've bought every mainline cod except #3 at launch..

Mw2 is just pure hectic fun. Now the first is probably the most skill based and "pure", and 4 is REALLY good, and I loved the mp a lot, but Mw2 just has it all, so much variety in everything. Owning a team and having harriers, pred missiles, choppers was so much fun, snipers were actually great compared to cods which came afterwards, 2 claymores with scavenger <3 running around with a knife and being able to take on whole teams... and the maps were great too. What's not to like. I guess if you couldn't handle how hectic it was and the air killstreaks being up 24/7 was too much for you I could understand, but I had no problems with it.

Oh, also the challenges were great fun to get along with the cool emblems/titles.

It was only bullshit if you actively ignored countermeasures. If an entire team is being slaughtered by a Harrier, I'm blaming the team, not the person who called the Harrier in. That killstreak can be IMMEDIATELY destroyed by a single person even faster than a UAV. Don't repeatedly run into the slaughter and then complain about it being unfair.

This right here. MW2 really rewards the team dynamic, which I can appreciate a whole lot more than lone wolf sometimes.I think some things felt unbalanced in MW2- but there were a lot of options in MW2 for playstyles that I could appreciate, and nearly everything was effective. It feels a lot less random than the last few years worth of stuff. If I die in MW2, it's (usually) because I put myself in a bad position- vs the newer stuff where I can die because the game decided to put the funny colored robot man right behind me.

It is interesting to see everybody's opinions on the franchise though- seems like people pic their favorite game or two and stick with it.

MMaRsu

Banned
It's like people don't realize Infinite Warfare is coming and will have Season Pass/microtransactions in order to make more money. They aren't going to cut themselves off from that revenue.

But those people will still play Infinite. All the old fans who dropped out are interested in this title.

Jblanks

It's like people don't realize Infinite Warfare is coming and will have Season Pass/microtransactions in order to make more money. They aren't going to cut themselves off from that revenue.

They will most likely make more money releasing Infinite and a remastered COD4 with MP, then just Infinite and a remastered COD4 w/o MP.

antitrop

A good friend of mine who is big into Call of Duty and especially the MW games thinks the third one is the best one.

I call him crazy :p
Jim Sterling did an entire Jimquisition about how he thinks Modern Warfare 3 is the best one.

I still think he's crazy.

Bolivar687

Banned
This right here. MW2 really rewards the team dynamic, which I can appreciate a whole lot more than lone wolf sometimes.I think some things felt unbalanced in MW2- but there were a lot of options in MW2 for playstyles that I could appreciate, and nearly everything was effective. It feels a lot less random than the last few years worth of stuff. If I die in MW2, it's (usually) because I put myself in a bad position- vs the newer stuff where I can die because the game decided to put the funny colored robot man right behind me.

This is what made MW2 so iconic and gave it such ridiculous longevity - variety. Every map was different. The customization allowed for some ridiculous set ups that could scale to your skill level. The youtube pub stomps were so much more fun to watch than anything that came afterwards. MW3 and Black Ops both went a long way to tone down the explosives and map size but they let a lot of the fun slip away with it.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
This is what made MW2 so iconic and gave it such ridiculous longevity - variety. Every map was different. The customization allowed for some ridiculous set ups that could scale to your skill level. The youtube pub stomps were so much more fun to watch than anything that came afterwards. MW3 and Black Ops both went a long way to tone down the explosives and map size but they let a lot of the fun slip away with it.

Funnily enough with BLOPS1 I used to play the Pure mode near exclusively which stripped things down even more to just your two weapons and a grenade, led to some really tense fights. No attachments, no killstreaks, no perks, nothing. I loved that mode so much and of course it got taken out of every COD game afterwards. Was never popular but by hell I loved it, still love BLOPS1s maps.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Best to worst

COD4
CODWAW
CODBO
COD2
CODBO2
CODMW2
CODMW3
CODAW
COD3
CODBO3
CODGhosts

MMaRsu

Banned
Jim Sterling did an entire Jimquisition about how he thinks Modern Warfare 3 is the best one.

I still think he's crazy.

Jim Sterling also gave Assassins Creed 2 a 4.5 out of 10.

Lol. Not sure if he still stand by those opinions though. Jim?

Bolivar687

Banned
Funnily enough with BLOPS1 I used to play the Pure mode near exclusively which stripped things down even more to just your two weapons and a grenade, led to some really tense fights. No attachments, no killstreaks, no perks, nothing. I loved that mode so much and of course it got taken out of every COD game afterwards. Was never popular but by hell I loved it, still love BLOPS1s maps.

I played some of that and Barebones too. I did appreciate how Treyarch tried to use playlist sub categories. For a while i did like Blops1 better than MW2 but eventually the lack of variety settled in.

My campaign preference:

2. Call of Duty 2
11. Call of Duty 3

Treyarch is really good at disappointing me with their follow-ups to the games I really liked. (2->3, 4->WaW, AW->BO3)

Not a bad ranking. I'd put World at War in the top 3 though personally.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I played some of that and Barebones too. I did appreciate how Treyarch tried to use playlist sub categories. For a while i did loke Blops1 better than MW2 but eventually the lack of variety settled in.

To be fair I don't blame them for getting rid a lot of them as there were like a few hundred/thousand players at most but still disappointing. Oh well :)

1. World at War
2. COD 4
3. Modern Warfare 2
4. Black Ops II
5. Advanced Warfare
6. Black Ops
7. COD 2
8. Modern Warfare 3
9. COD
10. COD 3
11. Black Ops III

This list was originally focused on Campaign, but it's almost exactly how I feel about the Multiplayer's too.
I like BO3's Multiplayer at the core, but the whole RNG Loot and Grindy Unlock thing don't fly with me. Advanced Warfare was in that boat too, but I like the core gameplay there more anyways.

Oh, and fuck Black Ops III's campaign. It was pure trash, easily one of the worst gaming experiences I have ever had.

Bishop89

Yep, don't blame the game coz you don't abuse all options given.

So many idiots running around getting killed by air support, not a single one having a stinger to try and take it down.

ShutterMunster

MW2 multiplayer was a mess. You spent more time looking at the sky than looking forward because someone always had something up there raining down hell on the battlefield. It was an unbalanced mess of a shooter. It's not without it's pluses, but I greatly prefer MW1. I'm thrilled it's getting the remaster. I'm hoping it's a full on remaster too.

MW2 multiplayer was a mess. You spent more time looking at the sky than looking forward because someone always had something up there raining down hell on the battlefield. It was an unbalanced mess of a shooter. It's not without it's pluses, but I greatly prefer MW1. I'm thrilled it's getting the remaster. I'm hoping it's a full on remaster too.

I feel the same way. Activision knows what the majority want and its not just the SP. I'm 99.9% certain it will have the SP and MP. And yeah I hope its not just the PC port. Although id still be happy :)

Bishop89

I feel the same way. Activision knows what the majority want and its not just the SP. I'm 99.9% certain it will have the SP and MP. And yeah I hope its not just the PC port. Although id still be happy :)
Hopefully it doesn't get gimped like "cod classic" port last gen

Duxxy3

For some reason I was told I'm insane for saying this, but...

"Infinite warfare is about Captain Price. Captain price in World War 2. Captain Price in current era. Captain price in the future. Infinite Warfare is about the immortal Captain Price and his wars."

edit: I'm just making this shit up btw, but it would still be less insane than Black Ops 3.

My campaign preference:

2. Call of Duty 2
11. Call of Duty 3

Call of Duty Ghost is Last of Us quality compared to Black Ops 3.

Top Bottom