• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mom calls cops on stranger choking her 7yr son, gets arrested (Up: bodycam footage)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Banned
Did the police officer seriously tell the mother to teach her son not to litter, and THEN suggest that the guy had a right to choke/physically assault her son?

OH MY GOD.

So you think it is even slightly possible that if she attacked the choker that she would have no charges sticking to her and that they would be directly working with her to seek justice? Okay.
Wtf are you talking about I never said or hinted at any of that

IA isn't gonna find shit, cop gets paid vacation, back to square one

Im serious, black people are going to start shooting back and its not going to be pretty. Shit like this is happening everyday and white america refuses to believe it or acknowledge our humanity.

The problem is that's a battle black people won't win... It'll only make this situation so much worse. So sad right now.

Two Words

Well you should consider that not all arrests are equal. The video with the lawyer indicates that they aren't going to put any charges with her and Internal Affairs is working with her right now. Do you think the same outcome would occur if she attacked the choker and cops responded later and arrested her?

Honestly? who knows, depends how the police are feeling any given day

And LOL internal affairs

Wtf are you talking about I never said or hinted at any of that

IA isn't gonna find shit, cop gets paid vacation, back to square one

I asked you if you thought that there was any chance the outcome for her would be the same if she attacked him when it comes to charges being dropped and you said "Honestly, who knows". Any sensible person takes that to mean that there is some chance.

It's the taking the law into your own hands part that is what is especially wrong. The system is corrupt, but taking the law into your own hands just plays into that corruption. At least the family now has the public largely on their side and will likely get a big financial payday. Sucks for us taxpayers, but it will work out well for them.

While you analyze and scrutinize the victim (and all potential, future victims), preaching the specific actions a victim should take, the cop's supporters have no qualms with the officer's failings.

The victim doesn't need any more scrutiny. Direct it at then oppressors—their wrongdoing here precedes and takes precedence over that of the (theoretical) victim. Any minority in this country doesn't need more condescension about what's right and wrong. Those that antagonize black and brown people have no infighting like we have here, where a black man is telling other minorities exactly how to properly get beaten/subjugated so as to garner the optimum amount of sympathy from society.

Ryzaki009

Like I said, this is why I'd never call the police unless I'm witnessing a gruesome crime being committed. Short of that, nope. They'd likely only make the situation worse with their implicit biases. The won't do shit for people like me.

This.

I learned that lesson at 14. Don't call the cops unless you're dying because they'll almost always find some way to make the situation worse.

I asked you if you thought that there was any chance the outcome for her would be the same if she attacked him when it comes to charges being dropped and you said "Honestly, who knows". Any sensible person takes that to mean that there is some chance.
Sweetheart when I said that I ment cops put bogus charges in people all the time

Did the police officer seriously tell the mother to teach her son not to litter, and THEN suggest that the guy had a right to choke/physically assault her son?

OH MY GOD.
It will sound crazy to you, but when I was a kid, if I threw a paperball to an adult and he slapped me for it, I wouldn't have even told my parents. If I did, my father would tell me 'it serves you well'.

Two Words

While you analyze and scrutinize the victim (and all potential, future victims), preaching the specific actions a victim should take, the cop's supporters have no qualms with the officer's failings.

The victim doesn't need any more scrutiny. Direct it at then oppressors—their wrongdoing here precedes and takes precedence over that of the (theoretical) victim. Any minority in this country doesn't need more condescension about what's right and wrong. Those that antagonize black and brown people have no infighting like we have here, where a black man is telling other minorities exactly how to properly get beaten/subjugated so as to garner the optimum amount of sympathy from society.
I completely agree. I'm not sure if you are directing the statement of scrutinizing victim's to me, because that is completely what i have been saying. Others are saying the victim should have taken matters into her own hands instead of calling the cops, and I'm saying it is wrong to say that.

Sapientas

*Woman wearing provocative clothing out at night is raped*

"And this was a learning experience for her

As Captain Quacker said, I doubt she'll be as quick to dress like that next time."

You honestly don't see the similarities in attitude here?

Not trying to respond for that poster, but I think it's important to identify the sentiment behind these statements. Victim blaming is characterized by the lack of empathy/sympathy and an unhealthy nitpicky analysis of the victim's actions.

In this case it reads like an exaggerated "fuck cops" mentality in that people don't expect anything from cops and calling them is a coin flip.

Two Words

Sweetheart when I said that I ment cops put bogus charges in people all the time
And those bogus charges have to actually stick. As I said, those bogus charges that they did put on her and the girl were dropped. I doubt they would be dropped if she actually attacked the choker. Please don't condecendingly call me sweetheart when you are literally making my argument for me.

What extra context is there? Both women were wronged for doing what is fully within their right to do and in both cases the emphasis is being put on their action as in "they really shouldn't do this for their own good."
So she would have been justified in attacking this guy?

I don't understand what your saying

Two Words

Not trying to respond for that poster, but I think it's important to identify the sentiment behind these statements. Victim blaming is characterized by the lack of empathy/sympathy and an unhealthy nitpicky analysis of the victim's actions.

In this case it reads like an exaggerated "fuck cops" mentality in that people don't expect anything from cops and calling them is a coin flip.
It is still analyzing her actions in a nitpicking manner. The focus shouldn't be on that she called the police at all. The focus should be on what happened when she did call the police.

Pretty fucking unreal that the cop said he'll arrest her for pissing him off.

And that he wouldn't arrest the man who assaulted her child.

Like Jesus Christ what kind of a man chokes a 7 year old, and what kind of man's threatens the family when they ask for help?

This is the kind of racism that most bothers me. This is appalling.

But no, they host a BBQ once a year, play a round of basketball, and race relations are A-OK.

S.M.H.

Two Words

So she would have been justified in attacking this guy?

I don't understand what your saying
How did I say anything that even suggests that? I merely showed that there is no extra context that breaks the analogy. Emphasizing this as a learning experience for her to no longer call the cops is gross. It is not what people should be taking away from this incident. It is not what we should be talking about.

Cuningas de Häme;227034684 said:
They could get killed.

Read an interesting article about good cops investigating bad cops (it was in the Atlantic or whatever, that same paper made that hilarious Nintendo piece).

There is good cops out there, but you won't hear about them because they want to stay alive and have a job.

It's almost as if the entire culture and institution of policing is corrupt and is designed to protect bad cops....

Sapientas

It is still analyzing her actions in a nitpicking manner. The focus shouldn't be on that she called the police at all. The focus should be on what happened when she did call the police.

I agree with that and personally I have no doubts that the mother did nothing wrong in this case. I'm questioning whether doing that in itself is still victim blaming. Expressing sympathy but still disagreeing with the victim's actions.

Just to clear up, I'm not trying to play the Devil's Advocate here so this might be going off-topic, it's just that this matter sometimes bothers me.

zeemumu

I'm guessing she escalated the situation unnecessarily and needed to calm down. Best way for that is to struggle, taze and handcuff them.

From the video it looked like the woman in pink was trying to calm the woman in white down and the cop just grabbed her because her back brushed his arm.

ResoRai

Straight up video evidence that this man has incredibly poor judgement and bias, and should not be in this position of power.

Like, cmon mayne. He can't not be fired. Right?

Right? 😞

I fucking love the Law and Order people.

They preach out their asshole, completely and willfully ignorant that no social change or wave to status quo was ever moved by FOLLOWING the law.

The entire POINT of Martin's Civil Rights campaign was Disobedience and Disorder....

And he's the GOOD one!

And those bogus charges have to actually stick. As I said, those bogus charges that they did put on her and the girl were dropped. I doubt they would be dropped if she actually attacked the choker. Please don't condecendingly call me sweetheart when you are literally making my argument for me.
Your right i shouldn't have said that but come on, cops don't need'em to stick they need them to form a narrative for the public

Honestly angry black woman yelling at white cop is all the public needs to justify this

TalonJH

What makes me so mad is that it feels like people don't care. I can deal with racism but it's hard for me to deal with the indifference to racism.

Verelios

Pretty fucking unreal that the cop said he'll arrest her for pissing him off.
Stay the fuck inside for a while mates. 2016 is just ending and end of the year is going to get a lot worse before it has any chance to get better. Know where I'm going to be anyways.
It will sound crazy to you, but when I was a kid, if I threw a paperball to an adult and he slapped me for it, I wouldn't have even told my parents. If I did, my father would tell me 'it serves you well'.
What is this? Random strangers assaulting kids is okay now because what? It teaches them to respect adult authoritah? So if your child came home with a black eye or bloody lip and said he got smacked for littering, your first response would be 'Well, you probably deserved it'?

God damn this world.

As a law abiding citizen what was she suppose to do? Go over there with some family members and beat the guy up? In which case he would have called the cops and she'd be arrested anyway and i can assure you the cop wouldn't look at the white man and ask "why shouldn't she beat you up for choking her 7 year old son?"
In Texas too, if she'd stepped on that guys property he may have shot her, claimed self defense and walked.

Two Words

Your right i shouldn't have said that but come on, cops don't need'em to stick they need them to form a narrative for the public

Honestly angry black woman yelling at white cop is all the public needs to justify this
What matters more for her and her family is whether or not the charges stick.

This is disgusting. It's so sad to think that some people will be on cops side...

People will defend keeping Black people in their place no matter what. Treating us with respect was never part of the plan,

In their minds when a seven year old Black child is accused of littering that's more important than the White cop that chokes him...

How did I say anything that even suggests that? I merely showed that there is no extra context that breaks the analogy. Emphasizing this as a learning experience for her to no longer call the cops is gross. It is not what people should be taking away from this incident. It is not what we should be talking about.
But it's exactly what going to end up happening

Welcome to the exciting world of being black in America

bender

What time is it?
Disgraceful. What should happen:

-Whatever trumped up charges against the mother and daughter should be dropped
-Formal apology from the city and police department
-Arresting officer fired
-Another investigation/charges for the neighbor who choked a 7 year old.

Once again assuming he littered.

If he did or didn't strangers don't have the right to hit my child over perceived slights.

Sapientas

From the video it looked like the woman in pink was trying to calm the woman in white down and the cop just grabbed her because her back brushed his arm.

I know, I guess that's the bullshit excuse he would give for doing what he did. It's the worst part of it all, for me. There is no reason for him to handcuff her too.

Nutter

Like what is this.. I am completely lost of words.

How is this acceptable. If this was a black man chocking a white kid, he would be shot dead.

Samara

That is fucked up. Good thing she got the phone back or that shit might have been swept under the rug.

And that neighbor in the back...What the hell did he say for the cop to be all '' I got you''?

Im serious, black people are going to start shooting back and its not going to be pretty. Shit like this is happening everyday and white america refuses to believe it or acknowledge our humanity.

I mean getting bombarded with this type of footage on a weekly or bi weekly basis is bound to set some people off and it's the cops themselves producing the sort of content that can radicalise people. It was one thing to read about it in a newspaper, it's another to have it seared into your mind over and over and over and over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom