• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Direct (October 27th)

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
The Switch is going to start looking bad if a new MonHun game is announced for 3DS and not the new hybrid launching in four months. Nintendo has to get MonHun on Switch as soon as possible.
MH5 on the Switch next Fall/Winter should be ideal so units can actually get in the hands of people first; they can't possibly satiate Japan with a launch MH.

Rootbeer

Banned
Sure would love to see Monster Hunter Stories get an announcement for the west. Game looks like the best MH game ever by my tastes.

MrPanic

I got to be honest, I've got my fill on MH for the moment, so if they're announcing another 3ds MH game I'll be happy to skip it entirely. That said though, I'll definitely try to catch this live, can't help but hope for something more promising.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
If there's no Switch I'm instantly less interested. tbh mhg burned me out on 3DS. After I had to quit playing for like 2-3 days straight due to hand cramps for like the 3rd or 4th time over the course of a month I knew I was super done until they moved the franchise to a console.

refer to what me & other people been saying in this thread. they aim to sell this upcoming title 2m by end of fiscal year. can you guarantee a switch-only title can sold by that amount in less than 1 month? that would put its attach ratio of almost 100%

Who said it has to be coming to the Switch only? Maybe it's for 3DS too.

Garou

If there's no Switch I'm instantly less interested. tbh mhg burned me out on 3DS. After I had to quit playing for like 2-3 days straight due to hand cramps for like the 3rd or 4th time over the course of a month I knew I was super done until they moved the franchise to a console.

If it's that bad, why not get one of these?
6119J-F3S4L._SL1000_.jpg

Who said it has to be coming to the Switch only? Maybe it's for 3DS too.

apologies because I misread your post and think you're on switch exclusive title side.

anyway, I can only think other than it might weird strategy by Capcom or some other possible reason that other people in this thread mentioned is that since this announcement is via Nintendo Direct, and Nintendo said to Mochizuki (I think?) in an interview that there's no Switch related stuff for this year. Thus, Capcom has to follow it.
If it was announced not via Direct I guess they'll announce Switch version as well. Not to mention if this is indeed 3DS exclusive title, why they don't announce it during TGS for example.

Yeah, like it happens with any transition between an old gen and new gen. Having an exclusive 3ds game would be the crazy thing here. A cross-gen would be the norm.

But they probably won't announce the Switch port yet and everyone will be omg lol Switch is doomed.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
apologies because I misread your post and think you're on switch exclusive title side.

anyway, I can only think other than it might weird strategy by Capcom or some other possible reason that other people in this thread mentioned is that since this announcement is via Nintendo Direct, and Nintendo said to Mochizuki (I think?) in an interview that there's no Switch related stuff for this year. Thus, Capcom has to follow it.
If it was announced not via Direct I guess they'll announce Switch version as well. Not to mention if this is indeed 3DS exclusive title, why they don't announce it during TGS for example.

Or at the 3DS-only Direct that happened back on September 1st.

My big hope would be a MH5 on a more modern engine, and a port to Nintendo Switch next year. Doubt that's happening.

If it's something along the lines of MH Generations G, and I can't believe I'm typing this, but I'm not sure I would buy it. Generations seriously waned my interested in a series that I absolutely adored, and I doubt more of the same is going to cut it this time. Time will tell.

Vuze

My big hope would be a MH5 on a more modern engine, and a port to Nintendo Switch next year. Doubt that's happening.

If it's something along the lines of MH Generations G, and I can't believe I'm typing this, but I'm not sure I would buy it. Generations seriously waned my interested in a series that I absolutely adored, and I doubt more of the same is going to cut it this time. Time will tell.
Re: Engine. I very much doubt that. Why bring a "new" engine to a fading out console. I'm sure it will be MT again.

I totally and wholeheartedly agree with your second paragraph. Gen was the first series entry since Tri that I didn't finish (aka 99% achievements except for crowns and all quests clear). New styles and all were alright I'm just absolutely sick of the asset recycling and bloated endgame mechanic didn't help.

Even if they're going to speak about existing titles, they can't just miss this opportunity to tease things that are yet to be announced

I'm expecting a new 3DS game announcement, real shame there's no Switch announcement yet.

They may also use the Direct to mention their next exhibit/in-game gear collaboration at Universal Studios Japan. A few of the other Cool Japan attractions for 2017 have already been announced and Monster Hunter the Real is, to my knowledge, still unconfirmed.

Re: Engine. I very much doubt that. Why bring a "new" engine to a fading out console. I'm sure it will be MT again.

Yeah, I agree unfortunately. I was just saying, that in my personal fantasy land, Capcom would come up with an amazing new engine that enables them to port to Switch easily and efficiently. But that's really not happening. As it stands, I'd probably prefer a release of "MH Generations G" which I'm going to pass on, and then a MH5 on a new engine on Switch.

Oregano

I wouldn't be surprised if they announce it for 3DS, detail it, and then end the direct with footage that is clearly not from a 3DS game as a tease.

PokéKong

I'm gonna say a recap of recently released games, show off some DLC, and a very brief tease of a 5 announcement with no official platform but a heavy implication of Switch.

No switch or smartphone game will be announced.

No way they show something on Switch. It's probably just MH:GU.

No switch/mobile news it seems.

fuck the no switch quote...:(

No Switch? Not watching meh

No Switch? Capcom you fcking cheap bastard.
Man, fuck that. This is a 52 fake out, a troll. This will be Switch related one way or another... even if they don't announce a Switch port or something just yet.

Ridley327

I'm surprised they waited this long to announce a new mainline game, but given the time frame, it's likely just MHGU for release by March.

Given the sales expectations for this title that were outlined earlier in the year, there's no way that it's MH5.

Wiseblade

I'm half expecting the direct to open to Capcom having a meltdown now they're basically being forced to make a new engine for Monster Hunter.

Vuze

I'm half expecting the direct to open to Capcom having a meltdown now they're basically being forced to make a new engine for Monster Hunter.
Who said MT Mobile can't be adapted for switch? :^)
I'm sure carrying over the 64x64 texture and low poly model assets won't be a problem either.

Kouriozan

I will sure lol if they show HD graphics and say 3DS only.
But honestly, I'm just excited to see a new Monster Hunter game.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
If it's that bad, why not get one of these?

I have an original 3DS with a circle pad pro, which is a vast improvement over using the thing on its own, and it's the best 2nd analog option, even over the nub. But even with the increased bulk, MH is still a game that I find myself playing for stretches of a time way longer than is acceptable for such a small device.

Mupod

On the upside, this could be the last monster hunter announcement where the thread isn't mostly just people complaining about it not being on a home console.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The sooner Monster Hunter is done with dogshit 3ds graphics the better. One last ride for those assets huh, Capcom?

Wiseblade

Who said MT Mobile can't be adapted for switch? :^)
I'm sure carrying over the 64x64 texture and low poly model assets won't be a problem either.
Oh yeah, they already did that work for Monster Hunter Explore! Capcom really are going to stretch this out as long as humanly possible.

Top Bottom