• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Direct (October 27th)

jimmypython

My (sad) prediction is that this is not Monster Hunter XG, but rather a whole new Monster Hunter (let's say 5) releasing for the 3DS after the Switch is already out.

My reasoning:
+ It's been too long since X in Japan for a G version (only 3G was 2 years)
+ X was already a spinoff, not a mainline entry
+ The successor to 4 has to have been in the works since at least 2014, too early to be targeting Switch based on how locked down Nintendo has been with info
+ Capcom hasn't had time to move 12 years of PS2-calibur assets to the Switch's new minimum fidelity
+ Capcom has no incentive to be pushing their multi-million seller to the new platform so quickly

Maybe 5G will finally be a Switch-first MonHun, but probably just rendering at higher res as opposed to build-from-scratch to target the console.

Well they did it with 3DS from PSP - they could've done a p3rdG for PSP that year and make a couple million sales more before moving to 3DS. The point is this time I can only see a XG 3DS only or 3DS + some quick HD up-port

TreIII

Going to go on a limb and think this is another spinoff. Still think it's a bit too soon for MH5, and Stories (which just came out a few weeks ago) also needs a bit more time to breathe.

Maybe they'll give the From team who makes the "Felyne Village" games a chance to make something that has a chance of capturing a larger, worldwide audience.

BlizzKrut

Banned
Knowing this franchise well-enough, my best is either MH5 on the Switch, or a G version of MHX (even though it wouldn't make sense).

Shinigami

Ironically, Monster Hunter should be extremely efficient in terms development resources. You fight the same monsters on the same maps over and over again in different variations. Further, they spread development costs over multiple titles within a single generation. We'll very likely see:

MHXG on 3DS & NS → MH5 for the Switch (or HD multi-platform) with ~30 monsters → MH5G with ~50 monsters
Would they be able to get away with using monster hunter online assets? I think it's possible and that game looks amazing.

Going to go on a limb and think this is another spinoff. Still think it's a bit too soon for MH5, and Stories (which just came out a few weeks ago) also needs a bit more time to breathe.

Maybe they'll give the From team who makes the "Felyne Village" games a chance to make something that has a chance of capturing a larger, worldwide audience.

I kind of wish Capcom would take an Ubisoft Asscreed break with MH and really do something special on the NS

Crossgen release of the next installment is acceptable i guess

I'm really surprised this isnt a US direct. We should be learning about Stories and the amiibo we're still missing.

I kind of doubt they'd have a direct just for a spinoff, so I can only presume this is either MHXG, a MH5 or something else that's crazy like a MMO but funded by Nintendo.

If they don't at least mention they're going to make a game for the Switch I'd be surprised. No reveals or info, but just saying it'll come to the system.

tuffy

Knowing this franchise well-enough, my best is either MH5 on the Switch, or a G version of MHX (even though it wouldn't make sense).
"No Nintendo Switch or Mobile announcements" rules out the former automatically.

The mainline team had been working on Stories, and a projected 2m in sales from an unnamed Monster Hunter title in Capcom's financials is exactly what they would expect for a G rank expansion if 4 -> 4G is used as a baseline.

Squishy3

i'm sure it's been said but there's probably a switch version in development but they just aren't going to talk about it yet for obvious reasons

4g and generations came out the same year in japan, they've probably been working on this long before switch started going out to developers

i'm sure it's been said but there's probably a switch version in development but they just aren't going to talk about it yet for obvious reasons

exactly

remains to be seen whether its a cross gen game with this upcoming announcement or a new and native NS title

Kathian

Banned
MH5 is too soon. If it was out next year it'll be on 3DS as Switch needs to build a user base.

Can see something MH related next year if not at launch on Switch.

MH5 is too soon. If it was out next year it'll be on 3DS as Switch needs to build a user base.

Can see something MH related next year if not at launch on Switch.

I sincerely hope they have SOMETHING MH related ready for the Switch Launch

Cmon Capcom!

Because MHX is a spin-off in a way, and I'm pretty sure Capcom has already said they didn't want to make a G version of MHX.

The "we have no plans" they tend to use is just a default answer that never confirms they are NOT doing something.

Also Capcom has stated that MHX/Gen is a mainline MH game btw, it's officially not a spin off (considering it is a revisiting of the mainline games across 4 generations).

Also consider, even though MHStories just came out, there was no mainline MH hunting game this year, and main series fans could welcome such game this december in Japan.

So, it actually makes ALL of the sense that this is MHXG. See, MHX has no G version yet (and it totally could use one), 3DS is about to go out, it's too early for MH5, and they can milk those Gen 4 (PS2-ish) assets once more, which is exactly what they have been doing for 12 years.

The "we have no plans" they tend to use is just a default answer that never confirms they are NOT doing something.

Also Capcom has stated that MHX/Gen is a mainline MH game btw, it's officially not a spin off (considering it is a revisiting of the mainline games across 4 generations).

Also consider, even though MHStories just came out, there was no mainline MH hunting game this year, and main series fans could welcome such game this december in Japan.

So, it actually makes ALL of the sense that this is MHXG. See, MHX has no G version yet (and it totally could use one), 3DS is about to go out, it's too early for MH5, and they can milk those Gen 4 assets once more, which is exactly what they have been doing for 12 years.

Damn... if I had to place a bet you might be right here

It totally fits their MO

Ill just hold out hope that it will also be a cross gen title on the switch as well though I may still skip it since ive already burnt out on MHG

Im not sure what they would have to do to bring me back in

Oregano

Wii U and N3DS both launched alongside Minster Hunter games, I don't expect that to change for Switch. But like the aforementioned platforms they won't be exclusive.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
A lot of people will be happy. I'd be happy to move on after 3 3DS games too.

But a lot of people would/will be unhappy as long as it's restricted to Nintendo hardware.

Those people Should learn how to suck it up and deal with it then. Or they can save up and buy a Nintendo hardware

Damn... if I had to place a bet you might be right here

It totally fits their MO

Ill just hold out hope that it will also be a cross gen title on the switch as well though I may still skip it since ive already burnt out on MHG

Im not sure what they would have to do to bring me back in

well I expected MH Switch, whichever number or version it was, but the "no Mobile or Switch" there directed me to think MHXG.

I still have some little hope of at least a tease of some future Monster Hunter on Switch, just like they teased MH4 nearly after confirming MH3G on 3DS.

Those people Should learn how to suck it up and deal with it then. Or they can save up and buy a Nintendo hardware

All of the reasons that I wanted a PS4/Vita version will likely be addressed by the Switch hardware so I'm not really going to make much of a fuss over it

I imagine there will be a few but if the switch delivers the good and is reasonably priced we should see less complaining than usual

TreIII

I kind of wish Capcom would take an Ubisoft Asscreed break with MH and really do something special on the NS

Crossgen release of the next installment is acceptable i guess

It's one of Capcom's biggest, if not THE biggest source of reliable earnings, nowadays. They likely don't have the option of taking a long break, which is why they try to build up other segments of the brand like Felyne Village and now, Stories as good accompaniments.

Y'know? It may be too late for "XG", but nothing's saying they can't do an "X2". They said MHX was supposed to be like "Street Fighter Alpha", so if they wanted to squeeze a bit more out of the 3DS era of MonHun, and experiment even more, that's certainly an option.

I really want a new generation MH on switch.
(but who am I kidding? It's totally gonna be a 3DS MH title)

I too can not wait for a proper Nintendo Switch MH game, including the obvious Nintendo Switch Axe DLC

source.gif

Seriously tho, I DO want the new generation of MonHun to abandon its traditional limits and aim for something big, just like Zelda is doing.

Tom_Cody

I too can not wait for a proper Nintendo Switch MH game, including the obvious Nintendo Switch Axe DLC

source.gif

Seriously tho, I DO want the new generation of MonHun to abandon its traditional limits and aim for something big, just like Zelda is doing.
This is so brilliant.

Why not?

Switch is a hybrid and should please both handheld and console fans.

I've been dying for MH on the big screen for years and I'd feel content with MH5 on Switch.

3DS is just really outdated and not a great piece of hardware to me.
Yup...i just couldn't do it, and didn't want a WiiU so I still haven't had my first MH experience yet. NS or PS4, are my hopes, i just want to play it on a big screen and not have it look like a PS2 game

Can we think please?

The new MH game will be released before March 2017. Do you think that Capcom would announce MH5 just five months before it's release?

It's too soon for MH5.

The teams (producers and directors) were working on MHG and MHS in the past few years.

I mean, they can definitely release a teaser but MH5 is not releasing anytime soon.

Also, MH5 won't be a 3DS game, lol.

Also, MH5 won't be a 3DS game, lol.

I REALLY hope it isn't. It would be a waste and would limit the game too much. MonHun5 HAS to look like Zelda BotW at least, in terms of art and shading. And while open world seems tough given the monster tracking mechanics, I wish they make waay bigger maps and better AI. And fuck gimmicks like mounting, I want more realistic verticality, like in the MH4 first concept trailer.

I REALLY hope it isn't. It would be a waste and would limit the game too much. MonHun5 HAS to look like Zelda BotW at least, in terms of art and shading. And while open world seems tough given the monster tracking mechanics, I wish they make waay bigger maps and better AI. And fuck gimmicks like mounting, I want more realistic verticality, like in the MH4 first concept trailer.

Glad im not the only one

Vena

At that point, may as well just have Nintendo make their own game with their own engine.

It would be a curious thing to see, a Nintendo-made hunter game/MH clone.

oti

Banned

MonHun with BoTW graphics? :O

BlizzKrut

Banned

MH doesn't need to look like Zelda, it needs to look like MH, the AI, while not perfect, is much better than most games out these days.

At that point, may as well just have Nintendo make their own game with their own engine.

It would be a curious thing to see, a Nintendo-made hunter game/MH clone.

I think Zelda BotW is the closest we will get, and I am not mad.

I actually believe this Zelda puts MonHun to shame in a way. I mean, the survival and gathering and cooking elements are what MonHun should have achieved already. The fighting part has been solid in MonHun, but the actual hunting and surviving aspects got kinda lost through the years.

I want to fear for my life again, and not just in a 1hitKO's way:

DrArchon

I'm not expecting anything on the level of BotW's graphics considering Capcom's situation, but having the graphics look better than MH Stories would be a nice place to start from. Having the game look like BotW would obviously be amazing, but I think we'll be lucky if the game looks like a PS3 game instead of a PS2 game at this point .

In terms of whether to go open world or not, I'm also fine with sticking with sectioned areas, but if they do that they need to minimize the length of loading times to such a degree that they might as well not even be there.

Orayn

Maybe something like Dishonored, Team Fortress 2 or Overwatch? Mess with the phong shading to give it a stylized pastel look, but not fully "cel shaded."

We can dream cant we

I mean MH stories might be the prettiest game they have ever made

Then there is MHOnline too, which while made not by capcom, is graphically better than any MonHun game.

Now when I say MonHun should look like Zelda, I don't mean graphically or that it should aim the same art style, but you know, BotW feels like a current gen game at least, it has good physics, it looks good, it has a big scope, even on a low power home console like the WiiU. MonHun never left the PS2 limitations going handheld.

Here we have the first Nintendo handheld that CAN do PS3-PS4-ish graphics, there is NO EXCUSE to do a MH3UHD quality game again, but being Capcom, I am affraid.

My (sad) prediction is that this is not Monster Hunter XG, but rather a whole new Monster Hunter (let's say 5) releasing for the 3DS after the Switch is already out.

My reasoning:
+ It's been too long since X in Japan for a G version (only 3G was 2 years)
+ X was already a spinoff, not a mainline entry
+ The successor to 4 has to have been in the works since at least 2014, too early to be targeting Switch based on how locked down Nintendo has been with info
+ Capcom hasn't had time to move 12 years of PS2-calibur assets to the Switch's new minimum fidelity
+ Capcom has no incentive to be pushing their multi-million seller to the new platform so quickly

Maybe 5G will finally be a Switch-first MonHun, but probably just rendering at higher res as opposed to build-from-scratch to target the console.
This sounds plausible. But there is a caveat. Remember when Square mentioned an NS port of DQXI? If they knew what Switch was then, I think Capcom probably did as well and might have had whatever this announcement will be in mind for Switch.

BlizzKrut

Banned
I think Zelda BotW is the closest we will get, and I am not mad.

I actually believe this Zelda puts MonHun to shame in a way. I mean, the survival and gathering and cooking elements are what MonHun should have achieved already. The fighting part has been solid in MonHun, but the actual hunting and surviving aspects got kinda lost through the years.

I want to fear for my life again, and not just in a 1hitKO's way:

You're comparing apples to oranges.

You're comparing apples to oranges.
Not entirely.

Of course MonHun will not become an openworld Zelda game, but Zelda is an example of how you can go past the traditions that limit the potential of your games.

After MHGen, I feel really tired of the formula, and how lazy the level design has become in MonHun. I want more than a temporary mini game to do some free damage. I really want MH5 to blow my expectations like BotW is doing, in graphics, art style, gameplay and map interaction.

KingBroly

Banned
I'm guessing it's a 3DS Monster Hunter that will come out in NA/EU on the Switch. Maybe it'll be a Mega Man Monster Hunter game where Mega Man has to craft weapons to take down Giant Robot Masters?

Or Devil May Monster Hunter

Oregano

Not entirely.

Of course MonHun will not become an openworld Zelda game, but Zelda is an example of how you can go past the traditions that limit the potential of your games.

After MHGen, I feel really tired of the formula, and how lazy the level design has become in MonHun. I want more than a temporary mini game to do some free damage. I really want MH5 to blow my expectations like BotW is doing, in graphics, art style, gameplay and map interaction.

Really? I went from MH(PS2) to Tri, Tri U, 4U and then to Gen. I'd say the level design has taken a massive step up over that transition and it's painfully obvious in Generations.

source.gif

The problem with this is, that we might end up with something like Tri. I mean I kinda want something new too, but at the same time I don't want to miss out on content.

Top Bottom